PDA

View Full Version : Official UCD v City thread

Pablo
27/07/2004, 2:45 PM
this could be tricky enough? it must be hard going from nearly 9000 people to playing in front of one man and a dog............ Dolans motivational qualities will be key here.

i'd take a draw to be honest.Finish the Job at the X on Monday

niamh
27/07/2004, 2:49 PM
Last thing City need right now is another replay to fit in.

sullanefc
27/07/2004, 3:01 PM
Would it be that bad if we went out? I think anyone who is likely to play in the big one on Friday should be left out of this one. Treat it like an U21 match.

BOF
27/07/2004, 3:06 PM
We have a big squad. Time to give some of the squaddies a run out. What with all the excitement and travelling Im sure some of the team could do with a rest, Colin comes to mind in particular but also KD, Kearney and Georgie.

The important thing is overhauling $h€l$ and winning the league. Im not too fussed about the FAI Cup

brendan

Gandhi
27/07/2004, 3:38 PM
I know what ye are saying but the reason I don't agree is I think it would be bad for morale to get beaten, particularly by a Div 1 team. I hope Dolan plays a strong team, maybe rest one or two of the seniors at most, maybe give Billy Woods and Michael Nwankwo a run out, but winning is a habit as they say. I am pis111d off I can't go, can you imagine (as has been said already) going from playing in front of 8000 at the X to playing at Belfield with 3 men and a dog (and the dog is probably a GAA fan who is only there cos he was dragged along). I wish I could be there to give them some support. It would be great to think that around 200 City fans could go and roar 'Rebel Army' to cheer the lads up when they run out onto the pitch...hopefully the exiles will turn out in force and make plenty of noise...

sullanefc
27/07/2004, 4:13 PM
I know what ye are saying but the reason I don't agree is I think it would be bad for morale to get beaten, particularly by a Div 1 team. I hope Dolan plays a strong team, maybe rest one or two of the seniors at most, maybe give Billy Woods and Michael Nwankwo a run out, but winning is a habit as they say.

Didn't we lose to Limerick in the League cup not long before we started our European adventure???

Gandhi
27/07/2004, 4:52 PM
yeah we did but it's one thing to lose a nothing game when you've a comparatively huge game to look forward to, it's another thing to have to pick yourself up after losing a european quarter final and find yourself back to the basement by comparison! Post cup slumps seem to be a common occurence, they seem to affect clubs' league form, and I'd be much happier if we beat UCD and try to get back into winning ways as soon as possible.
Nobody wants a slump but they seem to happen nonetheless & I can't see how losing to UCD could possibly help us to avoid one??? Players seem to talk about how winning games puts a bit more energy back in their legs but losing games can have the opposite effect...a win against UCD would be a good preparation for what is a tough away game against Drogs

Gandhi
27/07/2004, 4:58 PM
AAGGHH
Scrap the above - just found out we're at home to Waterford on Friday??? :eek: Two days after an away cup tie? Play the under 18s!!! For ****s sake. fingers crossed for two good results in the league, slightly more important.
But being the greey b****** that I am I'll settle for beating UCD AND winning the 2 league games :D

Éanna
27/07/2004, 6:13 PM
Being honest I'd like to see us put everything into winning the league. Pete Mahon has tried to up the pressure by saying that the Cup is our only hope of silverware this year- balls to that. The league is there for the taking, and we can do it. The players won't be looking forward to this game, so maybe the likes of Hoggy, Greg, Sweeney, Billy, Gamble, Behan and McNulty should be considered for this game- they'll be eager to impress anyway and we can rest some tired legs. We have a great squad- nows the time to use it

Eric
27/07/2004, 6:18 PM
playing in front of one man and a dog......

I won't be bringing the dog to this one, he hates Belfield!!!! :D

I reckon we need to field a strong team as a win is vital to keep the confidence high within the camp. Granted some of the players who have done so well in Europe may be in need of a rest but that's no excuse for fielding a weakened team.

The FAI cup still holds a UEFA cup spot so it's just as important as trying for the league. If our league challenge fades and we are still in the cup then we still have a chance of UEFA cup next season

thecorner
27/07/2004, 6:18 PM
wouldnt mind seeing us going out of the cup 2moro night

could do without progressing through a few rounds and having a pile-up of games

be nice to get some of our league games out of the way while other teams play in the cup

Eric
27/07/2004, 6:31 PM
wouldnt mind seeing us going out of the cup 2moro night

could do without progressing through a few rounds and having a pile-up of games

be nice to get some of our league games out of the way while other teams play in the cup

We wouldn't be able to get those league games out of the way if our opposition were still involved in the cup.

The cup offers a very decent chance of silverware this season so just because of the timing of our game against UCD I don't think people should be suggesting we're better off out of it.

Fair enough we have a build up of games but wouldn't people prefer us to be succesful and have a lot of games rather than having big breaks between games?????

sullanefc
27/07/2004, 10:33 PM
The FAI cup still holds a UEFA cup spot so it's just as important as trying for the league. If our league challenge fades and we are still in the cup then we still have a chance of UEFA cup next season

To hell with the UEFA cup. I would much prefer a champions league spot. And if you go out of the 3rd round of the Champions League Qualifiers you get a UEFA cup spot anyway. Sod it, lets just do the sh@ggin double :eek: :D

A face
27/07/2004, 10:41 PM
To hell with the UEFA cup. I would much prefer a champions league spot.

I rather try and get a UEFA cup spot .... i think we'd benefit more from it .... we'd do better in it and the players would get loads of experience from it. I'd rather we built up as a club and that the staff at the club get better at everything aswell.

Sod it, lets just do the sh@ggin double :eek: :D

Now you are talking !! :eek: :D

sullanefc
27/07/2004, 11:12 PM
AAGGHH
Scrap the above - just found out we're at home to Waterford on Friday??? :eek: Two days after an away cup tie? Play the under 18s!!! For ****s sake. fingers crossed for two good results in the league, slightly more important.
But being the greey b****** that I am I'll settle for beating UCD AND winning the 2 league games :D

Thats why I was on about playing the squad players. But we have good players to come in anyways so I'd be quietly confident of us getting a result in Belfield. Wouldn't be too upset going out at the same time.

RedX
28/07/2004, 1:15 AM
Of course the league is more important and we can win it this year.It will be really hard but we are good enough.But at the same time i am sure Brian Lennox would love a nice money spinning Cup run also and i am sure City will beat the students Weds.That is the reason the club has spent money on a big squad for games like these.I reckon no matter what side we put out Weds we will win by around 2-0.There is great competition for places now and this is a motivation in itself..

City 2 UCD 0 :D
City 2 Waterford 0 :p
Drogs 0 City 1 ;)

thecorner
28/07/2004, 1:30 AM
well i said earlier that i wouldnt be disappointed 2 go out of the cup

but i would love a trip to queenstown also :D

ian
28/07/2004, 6:39 AM
Lads for f--k sake we need to be in the cup so stop all this crap about being nocked out of the cup tonight.

The corner you should put your head in the sand for what you said??? :confused:

Snatch
28/07/2004, 9:07 AM
Just looking out my bedroom window onto Belfield Park, and the pitch doesn't look in as good condition as usual. But it will still allow for good football as it's usually one of the best surfaces in the country.

Weather conditions are dry, warm but pure overcast. All is quiet.....

ccfcman
28/07/2004, 9:08 AM
no sitting on the fence for this match i hope!ucd are city's bogey team so best of luck to ccfc tonight :ball:

max power
28/07/2004, 9:16 AM
just for gary i hope your beaten ;)

Neil
28/07/2004, 9:36 AM
Haven't a clue how this one might go - we could paste them or it could be a typical UCD game with them winning 1-0. I think it's no harm the 3 lads are suspended, we need to give them a break anyway, alongwith others.

I'd go with

SK
Greg Lordan Benno Woods
Mucka Gamble OBrien Nwankwo
Fenn Flynn

patsh
28/07/2004, 9:47 AM
I posted this on another thread. This is giving all our main Euro players a break for Friday.

Nults

Hoggy K. Murray Byrne Greg
Nwanko Gamble Sweeny Billy
Steve O'Flynn Behan
Subs: Nolan, Softic, Freyne, Guthrie, Lally.

This team should be able to beat UCD. It's better than almost all 1st Div sides, and a few premier teams too.

Peadar
28/07/2004, 9:50 AM
I posted this on another thread. This is giving all our main Euro players a break for Friday.

That's far too many changes.
There's no indication that those players can play as a unit.
There would be a question about the fitness of at least 5 of them.
I think you're asking a bit much there.

patsh
28/07/2004, 9:56 AM
That's far too many changes.
There's no indication that those players can play as a unit.
There would be a question about the fitness of at least 5 of them.
I think you're asking a bit much there.I'm not saying that we should make this many changes, just pointing out that we have a whole team in reserve that is more than capable of beating UCD.

pete
28/07/2004, 10:05 AM
City have a squad of professionals & should approach this game like any other.

3 already have 3 suspensions so no need to go changing the rest of the team for the sake of it. If players are looking tired we have options on the bench. Better to rest some other players if looking tired on friday when the 3 suspended players are back.

Ruairi
28/07/2004, 10:09 AM
lads can we keep the ucd game to just one thread? cheers

thecorner
28/07/2004, 10:49 AM
The corner you should put your head in the sand for what you said??? :confused:

what do u mean

wouldnt u like a trip to queenstown?? :D :D :D

Colm
28/07/2004, 10:53 AM
All is quiet.....

No change there for Belfield so!

Rams-fan
28/07/2004, 12:28 PM
Well, I hope Cork do win. :cool:
As I am working in Blackrock, I'll be there to voice my support :) for the Cork city team.

With the squad they have, I would expect a competitive game from both teams, and hopefully city will soften up for us for next Sunday. :D

Gandhi
28/07/2004, 12:37 PM
what do u mean

wouldnt u like a trip to queenstown?? :D :D :D

I would! Then I could just go for a few pints afterwards and walk home instead of only being able to have one & then drive...and before anyone starts on with the 'you glory hunting ***** you should support your local team' I am not from Queenstown!!! but it is a nice place to live, even if we haven't been here for very long :rolleyes:

paudie
28/07/2004, 1:00 PM
Our next 4 matches including the UCD game are vital.

If we lose tonight the team are under pressure to win against our bogey team on Friday.

The main thing is that the players have the confidence to carry on playing the good football we played in europe. That will be the key for the rest of the season.

A 1-0 win would be grand.

thecorner
28/07/2004, 1:17 PM
ISNT IT GREAT TO HAVE 2 BOGEY TEAMS IN A ROW :eek:

sullanefc
28/07/2004, 1:47 PM
ISNT IT GREAT TO HAVE 2 BOGEY TEAMS IN A ROW :eek:

Its a bloody pain in the hole is what it is :mad:

Gandhi
28/07/2004, 1:48 PM
oh absolutely! But this is the new improved Inter Toto version of Cork City so hopefully all the 'orrible experiences of the past against UCD and Waterford will be forgotten come Saturday, after back to back sparkling wins :cool:

Pablo
28/07/2004, 2:06 PM
i cant belive what i'm hearing :confused:

people dont care if we are knocked out? i'd be gutted. this club has only won 2 trophy's of note and while i hope we win the league, as time goes on the cup could be our best chance :mad:

Snatch
28/07/2004, 4:14 PM
The sun has come out and it's aglorious evening for sccer here in Belfield.

Atmosphere has yet to built!

ollie
28/07/2004, 9:39 PM
it could be a typical UCD game with them winning 1-0.

that is just what happened.jammy b@stards

thecorner
28/07/2004, 11:21 PM
talk about being brought back down to earth with a bang