PDA

View Full Version : Thuram quits international team

drummerboy
27/07/2004, 10:34 AM
Thuram has announced his retirement from international football. Another boost to our chances of qualifying for the next world cup.

Peadar
27/07/2004, 10:43 AM
Another boost to our chances of qualifying for the next world cup.

Hardly, he's well past it!
Hopefully the new manager will take a while to settle in.
I wish we were playing them this week and not in October.

petef
27/07/2004, 11:10 AM
A couple more would be very handy :) Taken from Sporting life:

France defender Lilian Thuram has retired from international football after 103 appearances for Les Bleus.

The Juventus defender, who was a mainstay of France's 1998 World Cup-winning team as well as their Euro 2000 triumph, revealed to French sports daily L'Equipe that he had decided to call it a day.

"I have decided to stop playing for Les Bleus," he said.

"I am 32 years old; I have already given as much as I can for France."

Thuram's decision marks the end of a 10-year career with the national team after he made his debut in a match against the Czech Republic on August 17, 1994.

Despite his numerous outstanding displays at the back for his country, it is for his two goals in the 1998 World Cup semi-final against Croatia that Thuram will be remembered.

With France trailing 1-0, the former Parma player struck two superb goals to take his country through to the final against Brazil, a game they would win 3-0.

"I will remember those moments for ever," he said.

"I think that, on the day of my death, the events of that semi-final will pass before my eyes."

Thuram intends to continue playing for Juventus, though, with whom he has a contract until 2006.

But he clearly believes that he his best is already behind him at international level.

"Other players are perhaps now better equipped than me to play for the team," he admitted.

"The 'Thuram cycle' is at an end; it is time to pass on the baton."

France mounted a mediocre defence of their European title, losing in the quarter-final to eventual winners Greece.

It completed a worrying two years for French football after their failure to make it through the first round group stage in Japan and South Korea two years ago, but Thuram sees a bright future for Les Bleus.

"France possess quality players, who will allow them to get back on track," he said.

"But for this to happen, players will need to show a strong character in the key moments."

As well as Juve and Parma, Thuram has also played for Monaco, with whom he spent six seasons before joining Parma in 1996.

Bowsy
27/07/2004, 11:24 AM
L'Equipe suggests that Zizou, Barthez, and Lizarazu might follow Thuram into international retirement.

Not sure if this is good news or bad news. Good as they are great players we won't have to face but then again is it better to play a bunch of gifted underperforming ageing veterans or gifted young players looking to prove themselves. it's not like they don't have anyone to replace these players with the obvious exception of Zidane.

gustavo
27/07/2004, 1:20 PM
well if barthez zidane and lizarazu do follow thuram out the door they could still put out a team of

coupet
candela or boumsong or mexes
sagnol
silvestre
gallas
vieira
makelele
pires
giuly or rothen
henry
trezeguet

which still isnt half bad .

eirebhoy
27/07/2004, 2:01 PM
I'm suprised at people questioning is this a good thing. Of course it is. Thuram has only turned 32 and is far from past it for a CB.

No matter how old Lizerazu, Desailly and Thuram are, France will take time to adjust to a completely new back 4. An experienced player like Thuram would have made the transition a lot easier.

At centre half they have a choice of Gallas (very little CB appearances at the top level), Silvestre (hardly the most reliable player in the world), Boumsong and Mexes.

For left back, Candela would probably be the first choice and he's hardly a regular in the Roma team. Brechet is also backup in the Inter squad.

Right back is safe though with Sagnol.