PDA

View Full Version : King and Shels

sullanefc
27/07/2004, 1:09 AM
Does Noel King work for Shels or what like?? The last two weeks on EL weekly he has referred to Shels as 'we' and was very complimentary towards them. I thought last week when he said 'we' in referring to shels that it was a slip of the tongue and it was more of a 'we' as in an Irish team in Europe. But no doubt about it this week as he never referred to Bohs, Longord or Cork as 'we', and continued to call shels 'we'. Is he on the payroll there?

Seems to be very anti Dolan too from what I've seen in previous weeks.

Whats his feckin problem??

Slash/ED
27/07/2004, 1:12 AM
I thought Roddy Collins comments were stranger, something like "Some day an Irish team will make the break through in Europe and please god it'll be Shels"

So that's the FAI, UEFA and now TV3 we have in our backpockets, excellent :D

sullanefc
27/07/2004, 1:21 AM
like "Some day an Irish team will make the break through in Europe and please god it'll be Shels"

Thought that was strange too myself. "please god it'll be Shels" ????? Like he'd prefer they did it over any other team in the League?? But then again, he is only staying at Dublin City until the end of the season, as was revealed tonight. He says we'll see after that, but I can't see him staying on after that, even if he does keep them up. Maybe he's looking to get the Shels job when Pat Fenlon gets booted out by Ollie Byrne for being tactically useless in Europe??? ;)

tiktok
27/07/2004, 5:35 AM
I thought Roddy's statement was more along the lines of 'please God it'll be Shels this year' ? that he didn't want to be seen to write them off against Split.
Can't say that I heard King's comments, I tend to tune him out to be honest.

Ringo
27/07/2004, 7:10 AM
The thing that struck me was all the empty seats in Tolka for "the Champions", just after footage of a very packed Turners cross.

Macy
27/07/2004, 8:09 AM
The thing that struck me was all the empty seats in Tolka for "the Champions", just after footage of a very packed Turners cross.
Well a lot of neutrals are put off going to shels euro games after one year a high attendance was put down to "all these shels fans" when it was neutrals bolstering the crowd. Next year it was a poor attendance and Oily blamed on the neutrals not coming out. Personally I sat through my last euro bore shels match against Hibs of Malta, although it got better at the end ;) ....

Anyway, a CHF fan making comments like crowds is just leaving yourself open for smart comebacks....

btw I read it as Shoddy meaning this year as well.

drummerboy
27/07/2004, 8:21 AM
Does Noel King work for Shels or what like?? The last two weeks on EL weekly he has referred to Shels as 'we' and was very complimentary towards them. I thought last week when he said 'we' in referring to shels that it was a slip of the tongue and it was more of a 'we' as in an Irish team in Europe. But no doubt about it this week as he never referred to Bohs, Longord or Cork as 'we', and continued to call shels 'we'. Is he on the payroll there?

Seems to be very anti Dolan too from what I've seen in previous weeks.

Whats his feckin problem??

I think his son Brian is with Shelbourne's under 21s.

Ringo
27/07/2004, 8:40 AM
Anyway, a CHF fan making comments like crowds is just leaving yourself open for smart comebacks....

But shels are the biggest club in the country , with over a hundred years of proud tradition ;)

Mr_T
27/07/2004, 9:56 AM
The bare shocking frightening fact is that there were barely 700 at the Shels Harps game (thats being generous) and at least 200 to 250 of those were Harps fans. There were bigger crowds at all non league games in the cup.

Shelbourne didn't even have a programme printed for the game. Professional club??

TG

Cosmo
27/07/2004, 12:43 PM
there was no way there was even 700 - 4-500 in my opinion. Good showing of harps fans and ye nearly had as many flags as supporters there!!!

The right back was a good player for harps - any info on him???

Slash/ED
27/07/2004, 1:55 PM

If you mean the European match there was around 5,000 there, the Riverside stand had alot there which you can't see on TV3s footage. Around the same if not more than Corks first round match in Europe as I recall, if you're trying to compare like with like.

drummerboy
27/07/2004, 2:39 PM
I was at the Drumcondra v Quay game, over €5,000 taken at gate. I'd say a crowd of 750. Drums were hoping to make a few bob out of the cup run so here's hoping they get drawn against Cork or Bohs.

Rocky
28/07/2004, 1:07 PM
I thought Roddy Collins comments were stranger, something like "Some day an Irish team will make the break through in Europe and please god it'll be Shels"

In fairness he probably meant he hoped it'd be this year.