PDA

View Full Version : Impure Thoughts...

RedX
26/07/2004, 8:19 PM
I know everyone wants to see eircom league sides do well in Europe this season but is it wrong of me to want $hels(and just $hels)to get hammered by hadjuk split(is that the name?).I despise that club.Owen Heary,Pat Fenlon,Jim Crawford,Jason Byrne and that wonker Ollie Byrne...10-0 wouldnt be enough... :mad:

Best of luck to Bohs and Longford... ;)

Gary
26/07/2004, 8:49 PM
Nothing impure at all there RedX. I was loathe to see Shels go thru by the skin if their teeth against a poor Reyjavik.

I personally couldnt care less how the others get on. Maybe Id like to see Lford do well, but the others...meh.

We're in this together
you're havin a laugh

:rolleyes:

tiktok
26/07/2004, 9:02 PM
I hope Shels, Bohs and Longford all go through, and genuinely wish them the very best of luck.

Wtih Shels though, I'll admit it's more about the UEFA coefficient, In the end the more the clubs win, the better our draw will be in Europe in years to come. Also, a good showing against Split will do more for the league in terms of national exposure.

A few people have expressed concern about Shels doing a Rosenborg and run away with the league for years to come what with the money TV and extra revenue associated with Europe will bring in. It's a risk, though I'm not overly concerned for now.

max power
26/07/2004, 11:01 PM
Nothing impure at all there RedX. I was loathe to see Shels go thru by the skin if their teeth against a poor Reyjavik.

I personally couldnt care less how the others get on. Maybe Id like to see Lford do well, but the others...meh.

We're in this together
you're havin a laugh

:rolleyes:

gary you are a funny man, every el supporter i know was behind you recently, now the heads are big and you don't care....from what i've seen these boards in recent weeks, nothing new there.....

i hope its two season for dolan and no trophies for city.... i really do. ;)

Colm
27/07/2004, 12:24 AM
I hope Bohs and I suppose Longford aswell go through as I have no real reason to dislike either club and it is good for the league as a whole.

However, I despise Shelbourne and would take great pleasure in seeing Ollie Byrne's thugs humiliated.

The biggest thing we need to remember here is that no matter what any of the other Irish clubs achieve in Europe this year it will be unlikely to be as great as what the City have done. They won't beat a top Swedish or Dutch team or narrowly lose out to a top French team. They won't be the UEFA team of the week. The won't bring huge numbers of fans abroad like the Rebel Army did. I could go on and on but you get my drift.

sullanefc
27/07/2004, 12:39 AM
gary you are a funny man, every el supporter i know was behind you recently, now the heads are big and you don't care....from what i've seen these boards in recent weeks, nothing new there.....

Now, now. Its not a case of we don't give a toss about how other teams do in Europe, this is an anti Shels thing. I really and truly hope Bohs and Longford do well and lift the EL coefficient. I'd love it if the made all the way to the UEFA cup final. But Shels?? Ugh!! I really hope they fall on there ass'. I won't go into the many reasons why I loathe them, but there are lots.
I really hope they get dumped out of Europe and humiliatingly so.

The only way I'd like to see them progress is if it meant they lost points in the League. But I can imagine them not letting a situation like the Drogs game happen again, and I tell you now that Shels won't play another league game until they're out of Europe. You heard it here first. ;)

cityrebel1
27/07/2004, 8:28 AM
shouldn't be too long 'til they're playing in the league again so :) :) :)

Flynninio
27/07/2004, 8:36 AM
we are irish and we support irish.unless we brain dead :(

ccfcgirl
27/07/2004, 8:59 AM
I think its terrible that people are wishing shels bad luck.I hope they win tonight and win well,cork city got alot of support from other loi supporters juring our european games and i think we should do the same.Pat Fenlon rang cork city fc before the games to wishe the club well.Come on shels put irish soccer on the map even more this season

eoinh
27/07/2004, 9:09 AM
I think its terrible that people are wishing shels bad luck.I hope they win tonight and win well,cork city got alot of support from other loi supporters juring our european games and i think we should do the same.Pat Fenlon rang cork city fc before the games to wishe the club well.Come on shels put irish soccer on the map even more this season

totally right. if you want to see LOI grounds packed including the cross you should be praying for shels to win.

The LOI needs successful teams in europe no matter who they are.

C'mon shels! If shels win through against hajduk and city win the league for instance we would be seeded next season in europe if shels lose we wont be.
So you should support shels for just personal reasons anyway.

im supporting shels for the league because unlike many city fans i have a long memory. i remember the really bad times for city and the league.

max power
27/07/2004, 9:10 AM
but my point about gary was the "maybe longford too" comment, shows he doesn't want to see el teams do well at all.....

patsh
27/07/2004, 9:18 AM
totally right. if you want to see LOI grounds packed including the cross you should be praying for shels to win.

The LOI needs successful teams in europe no matter who they are.

C'mon shels! If shels win through against hajduk and city win the league for instance we would be seeded next season in europe if shels lose we wont be.
So you should support shels for just personal reasons anyway..I have to agree with that. Looking at the $h£l$ MB, most of their fans were wishing us well.

im supporting shels for the league because unlike many city fans i have a long memory. i remember the really bad times for city and the league.eoin, maybe shome mishtake?.....you want $h£l$ to win the league....:eek:
I'm supporting City for the league....;)

jimhacker
27/07/2004, 9:25 AM
Someone called Jim Gannon at al a thug! An insult to self respecting thugs everywhere!

eoinh
27/07/2004, 9:27 AM
I have to agree with that. Looking at the $h£l$ MB, most of their fans were wishing us well.

eoin, maybe shome mishtake?.....you want $h£l$ to win the league....:eek:
I'm supporting City for the league....;)

Oh jaysus i meant city for the league. really. im not turning into noel king. im not, im not, im not ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

i meant if shels do well in europe it will help to get us seeded in europe next season if we win the league. That is what i meant, i swear!

Schumi
27/07/2004, 9:28 AM
I hope Shels, Bohs and Longford all go through, and genuinely wish them the very best of luck.

Wtih Shels though, I'll admit it's more about the UEFA coefficient, In the end the more the clubs win, the better our draw will be in Europe in years to come. Also, a good showing against Split will do more for the league in terms of national exposure.Pretty much how I feel, I hope Shels go through for the league's co-efficient and general perceived quality but I wouldn't lose to much sleep about them going out.

Macy
27/07/2004, 9:32 AM
Pretty much how I feel, I hope Shels go through for the league's co-efficient and general perceived quality but I wouldn't lose to much sleep about them going out.
Against Hibs the other year, myself and another forum went down to offer our support. We wanted Shels to get through, we really did, but couldn't help bursting out laughing when Hibs scored. It was just the natural reaction....

Peadar
27/07/2004, 9:38 AM
I hope Shels go through for the league's co-efficient and general perceived quality but I wouldn't lose to much sleep about them going out.

That pretty much sums up how I feel too.
It would also be good for the league if we were in the news again for success in Europe. I've been getting texts and e-mails from people who've never in their life been to a league game, wishing City luck.
If they hear of other teams doing well they'll begin to hold the league in higher regard. This is building on the performances of Bohs last year. I know many people who went along and were really impressed by the way Bohs played against Rosenborg. Sadly I think Longford are still a team where a moral victory is the most they can hope for.
It's difficult for a regional team like that to compete at the next level.

eoinh
27/07/2004, 9:38 AM
I resurected a thread recently about numbers on foot.ie and the amount of non-cork city fans on the forum. But, if people want to see more fans from other LOI clubs on here then a subject like this should be posted under the "general" forum and not "cork city". What does it have to do with city?

Jim Smith
27/07/2004, 10:02 AM
Shels thuggery is one of the worst things about this league. The really bad thing is that they always had pretty good players but chose to play 'meaty' football. When this wins leagues its bad for the game here. Yes the European co-efficent is important but promoting good, skillfull play at home is more important. hen they mend their ways I'll give them my support...
As for Bohs and Longford, the best of luck.

Schumi
27/07/2004, 10:26 AM
Against Hibs the other year, myself and another forum went down to offer our support. We wanted Shels to get through, we really did, but couldn't help bursting out laughing when Hibs scored. It was just the natural reaction....
Have to admit I did the same, along with another UCD fan I went to the game with.

wiseman
27/07/2004, 12:08 PM

Like we all do. We cheer ye on when ye're playing and laugh when you lose. Same as we expect you to do with us. Nothing personal, just the nature of supporting YOUR TEAM 1st and the league 2nd.

ThaddyQuill
27/07/2004, 1:45 PM
I hope Shels go through as well because they are an Irish club, simple as that but also the bigger pile up of games they get the better chance City have of closing the gap to the top.

Peadar
27/07/2004, 2:03 PM
but also the bigger pile up of games they get the better chance City have of closing the gap to the top.

Since their European games are all mid-week it's unlikely that they'll have a fixture backlog. Certainly nothing near the one City are facing.

Macy
27/07/2004, 2:21 PM
Have to admit I did the same, along with another UCD fan I went to the game with.
Yeah, but were you behind the goal getting captured on TV? :D

Bossman Scally
27/07/2004, 3:01 PM
I know everyone wants to see eircom league sides do well in Europe this season but is it wrong of me to want $hels(and just $hels)to get hammered by hadjuk split(is that the name?).I despise that club.Owen Heary,Pat Fenlon,Jim Crawford,Jason Byrne and that wonker Ollie Byrne...10-0 wouldnt be enough... :mad:

Best of luck to Bohs and Longford... ;)

I can see where you're coming from. I'm a "scouser", born and bred, and I can never cheer on Man U, no matter who they are playing. I have to admit, even though i'll probably get linched for it, that I was cheering on the Hun when they played them in the Champions League last year! My Man U Champions League highlight is Keano's beautiful near post own goal against Real Madrid at Old Trafford (The Theatre of Sleep, oops sorry Dreams!) a few years back. Priceless!

niamh
27/07/2004, 3:06 PM
Def. Shels progressing in the CL would be good news for the league BUT Byrne makes enemies of even the nicest of people. I genuinely hope Longford and Bohs progress though. They haven't half the guff about them as Shels do.

Éanna
27/07/2004, 6:27 PM

To give gary his due, he's never had any time for getting behind other clubs- never asked for anyone else's support and never offered his, so its not like the recent results have changed his attitude.

Personally speaking, I like to see other eL clubs do well because it does benefit us all. I like to support everything that is good about this league- unfortunately Shels represent just about every negative there is in eircom League football. The only positive going for them is their professionalism. I hope they go through just for the sake of the league's profile and the co-efficient, but as long as they play crap football with a bad attitude, they won't get any further in Europe. I only hope they don't embarass us again

Schumi
28/07/2004, 1:20 PM
Yeah, but were you behind the goal getting captured on TV? :DDon't know TBH. What end did they score into? I was in the new stand.

Peadar
28/07/2004, 1:29 PM
I only hope they don't embarass us again

The result last night was embarrassing to be honest!

patsh
28/07/2004, 1:44 PM
The result last night was embarrassing to be honest!Looks like its going to cost Kenny his job......

spiritofshanks
28/07/2004, 4:55 PM
Best of Luck to Shels and Longford (Hard Luck Bohs). City got Europe talking about Irish football, now we need to keep up the momentum. The national team have a tough WC qualifying group ahead, the more Europe fears the Irish, the better!

ccfcgirl
28/07/2004, 5:00 PM
Best of luck to shels tonight

thecorner
28/07/2004, 11:23 PM
Id like 2 say Ha Ha to Shels!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

dunno why you're saying haha to the shels

seems like a pretty good result

Peadar
29/07/2004, 9:01 AM
dunno why you're saying haha to the shels

seems like a pretty good result

All they need is 1-0 next week.
We'd have settled for that against Nantes.