PDA

View Full Version : African Nations Cup 2012

Pages : [1] 2

culloty82
21/01/2012, 7:49 AM
Saw the thread in the Betting section - but when the tournament starts today (on Eurosport, if you have it), it's time to promote it to World.

Group A:
Equatorial Guinea
Libya
Senegal
Zambia

Despite being co-hosts, Equatorial Guinea have never qualified for a major tournament, have a FIFA ranking of 151, and are most famous for naturalising B-rate Brazilians, so won't make a major impact. Senegal have an exciting new squad, headlined by Demba Ba, and should easily top this group. Libya and Zambia were evenly matched in the qualifiers, and while the men from Tripoli axed Zayed from their final squad, the optimism from their political revolution could well edge them into the last eight.

Group B:
Ivory Coast/Cote d'Ivoire
Burkina Faso
Sudan
Angola

It's no or never for Drogba, the Toures and co, and with Nigeria, Cameroon and Egypt all AWOL, they look set to reach the final at least. Sudan will be the trickiest of the newcomers, their clubs doing well in African Champions League competitions, but I expect Angola to finish second here.

Group C:
Gabon
Morocco
Tunisia
Niger

Like the punter, I'm expecting the hosts to come good here, and with players such as Daniel Cousin and the Aubamyeng brothers, they could well top the group. Tunisia are the only recent champions to qualify, and while the title looks beyond them, their side is more consistent than that of their North African neighbours. Niger are pretty much the Finland of Africa, in terms of qualification, so will do well to get even a point.

Group D:
Ghana
Guinea
Mali
Botswana

Like Ivory Coast, Ghana are joint-favourites for the title and if they carry on their South African form, they should also reach the final. Mali too often flatter to deceive in this tournament, and as Guinea are regular quarter-finalists, I tip them to come second here.

So that leaves us with a likely last eight of:

Senegal v Angola
Ivory Coast v Libya
Gabon v Guinea
Ghana v Tunisia

followed by

Senegal v Ivory Coast
Gabon v Ghana

and sadly, I'll go for the unoriginal prediction of a Ghana victory over Ivory Coast in the final.

Sullivinho
21/01/2012, 11:29 AM
I always enjoy watching this tournament. G'wan the Ivory Coast, the Ireland of Africa. :D

culloty82
21/01/2012, 8:04 PM
And just to prove me totally wrong, Equatorial Guinea more than match their opponents, even snatching a late shock winner.

theworm2345
21/01/2012, 8:18 PM
I always enjoy watching this tournament. G'wan the Ivory Coast, the Ireland of Africa. :D
Flag is the only similarity, Ivory Coast are actually one of the tournament favorites, far from Ireland's prognosticated standing at the upcoming Euros.

And just to prove me totally wrong, Equatorial Guinea more than match their opponents, even snatching a late shock winner.
Watched the first half, Equatorial Guinea by far the better side, wasn't sure about that disallowed goal either. Nice to see them get the win at home on their tournament debut, I think they'll struggle against Senegal and Zambia (who have just taken the lead). Last tournament Emmanuel Mbola of Zambia was the next big thing, went on trial at Arsenal and I think Spurs as well...didn't even make the squad this time around. Senegal could use Abdoulaye Faye at the back as they are a shambles right now.

It would be nice to see Zambia win as the Zambia Air Disaster of 1993 actually took place in Gabon and their manager noted it would be a great tribute. They're 2-0 up now.

Sullivinho
21/01/2012, 8:58 PM
Flag is the only similarity, Ivory Coast are actually one of the tournament favorites, far from Ireland's prognosticated standing at the upcoming Euros.

Dammit, I was hoping no one would appraise that statement beyond the flag.

culloty82
22/01/2012, 6:52 PM
Ivory Coast overcome Sudan 1-0, fairly drab match now between Angola and Burkina Faso.

culloty82
23/01/2012, 8:40 PM
Cracking North African derby tonight, the Moroccans bossed the first half, but went behind to a looping sideways free-kick that wasn't defended properly. The Tunisians scored again on the break with 15 minutes left, before a suspiciously offside-looking strike left the final scoreline 2-1. Hard to see Morocco progressing, with a must-win tie against the co-hosts next up.

citybone
24/01/2012, 12:07 PM
just in relation to the predictions above, i cant see Senegal finishing top of the group after loosing to Zambia. Also Gabon to beat Guinea does not sound accurate to me. Tunisia vs Morocco was a good game to watch but most weren't too interesting. I have a classmate in college from Guinea so ill be paying close attention to that game tonight

culloty82
24/01/2012, 12:47 PM
That's the problem with all the first-time qualifiers - apart from last-night's game, Senegal-Zambia, Ivory Coast-Angola and Guinea-Mali, most of the real action won't get started until the quarter-finals.

Dermotron
24/01/2012, 1:37 PM
Should be a straight forward game for Ghana this evening. Matches aren't won on paper but Botswana look very limited and have a lot home based players

culloty82
25/01/2012, 8:59 PM
Ghana won handily, while Mali perhaps shocked Guinea. Mad goings on today - first torrential rain saw the 2-2 draw between Libya and Zambia delayed for an hour, and now Equatorial Guinea are within minutes of the last eight after taking the lead against Senegal!

Sullivinho
26/01/2012, 2:00 PM
And Equatorial Guinea send the Senegalese packing! Mighty end to that game and a worthy winning goal.

theworm2345
26/01/2012, 3:31 PM
I've always loved watching African football, really any team can beat any team any day (usually only if they play at home though).

Manucho seems to love this competition, always thought he was better than he showed during his time in England.

Dermotron
26/01/2012, 10:40 PM
Anyone see the Ivory Coast a game? Are they playing decent football or just doing enough?

citybone
27/01/2012, 12:20 PM
Mali were ranked slightly higher than Guinea!

Sullivinho
27/01/2012, 7:13 PM
Anyone see the Ivory Coast a game? Are they playing decent football or just doing enough?

Just doing enough imo. In fairness, it's seen them through to the quarters but they've looked a bit restrained to me. Canny pacing from the champs-in-waiting I'd say. ;)

culloty82
27/01/2012, 8:09 PM
Yes, in other years, they've looked flash in the groups before crashing to Algeria last time, so an Italian-style slow start might suit them better. Game of the tournament to date has just ended - Gabon were losing 0-1 to Morocco with around 15 minutes left, Aubamyeng scored a belter, before Cousin put them ahead. A cheap penalty looked like spoiling the party in the 88th minute, but the home side scored an unbelievable free-kick, curling from the side of the penalty area into the top-left corner seven minutes into injury-time, so Gabon join Tunisia in the last eight.

Sullivinho
27/01/2012, 8:18 PM
Yes, in other years, they've looked flash in the groups before crashing to Algeria last time, so an Italian-style slow start might suit them better. Game of the tournament to date has just ended - Gabon were losing 0-1 to Morocco with around 15 minutes left, Aubamyeng scored a belter, before Cousin put them ahead. A cheap penalty looked like spoiling the party in the 88th minute, but the home side scored an unbelievable free-kick, curling from the side of the penalty area into the top-left corner seven minutes into injury-time, so Gabon join Tunisia in the last eight.

I was gonna switch over to the Everton game but couldn't tear myself away from Agyemang and co. Great stuff.

theworm2345
27/01/2012, 9:38 PM
Agree with Sullivinho, Burkina Faso definitely could have knicked a point yesterday, pretty comical own goal from their defender Bakary Kone for the second. Now the Burkinabe defender Bakary Kone is not to be confused with Ivory Coast's Bakari Kone, who scored for them at the World Cup in 2006.

I was gonna switch over to the Everton game but couldn't tear myself away from Agyemang and co. Great stuff.
I think you meant Aubameyang and were thinking of Ghana's Patrick Agyemang

Sullivinho
27/01/2012, 9:58 PM
Farcical scenes caused by the heavy rain there during the week..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BJbSxMt7oH8

However that one had nothing to do with the water. :D

I think you meant Aubameyang and were thinking of Ghana's Patrick Agyemang

That I was! Squint your eyes and you'd swear it was Neymar himself.

theworm2345
29/01/2012, 7:28 PM
Senegal couldn't even muster a point, have to assume Amara Traore will be fired. Equatorial Guinea did not offer much today against Zambia, but as they were already through they may have taken their foot off the pedal.

culloty82
29/01/2012, 8:37 PM
It was up to Zambia to ensure it didn't end in a draw, but avoiding Ivory Coast should have spurred EG on. Similarly, all the pressure is on Angola tomorrow, as Sudan should keep up their side of the bargain by winning.

culloty82
30/01/2012, 8:11 PM
Confusion during the TV coverage tonight - with Sudan and Ivory Coast both leading by one goal, Eurosport correctly state that Sudan will edge out Angola on goal difference, while over on Eurosport2, the commentators seem convinced that goals scored are crucial and that Angola are going through. By the end, both teams had scored four goals in the group, but would have been priceless to watch the head-scratching at the final whistle.

culloty82
31/01/2012, 7:21 PM
Bennocelt's quids in with Gabon winning the group - going on their form, they look good for the semis, assuming Ghana get at least a draw tomorrow.

theworm2345
04/02/2012, 6:32 PM
Not sure how Ivory Coast haven't scored yet, Drogba just missed a penalty as well...maybe it just isn't meant to be for them today.

EDIT: Nevermind.

culloty82
05/02/2012, 4:51 PM
Actually, messed up the semis at the start - Zambia will in fact play Ivory Coast and today's QF winners play each other - Gabon-Mali going to extra-time.

theworm2345
05/02/2012, 5:25 PM
Actually, messed up the semis at the start - Zambia will in fact play Ivory Coast and today's QF winners play each other - Gabon-Mali going to extra-time.
Commentator just said winner of Gabon-Mali will play Ivory Coast in two days.

EDIT: Horrible moment there for Tunisian keeper.

theworm2345
08/02/2012, 6:09 PM
Zambia through to the finals, am happy for them. Gyan is a bit too cocky for my liking and his record of missing big penalties must be disturbing for Ghana.

superfrank
09/02/2012, 6:10 AM
Would love to see Zambia do it. There will be big pressure on CIV too, they've been touted as one of the best sides in Africa for the last decade but haven't delivered.

citybone
12/02/2012, 7:13 PM
Zambia had a better start despite the poor guy who had to come off injured after just 10mins but Ivory Coast have come more into it. Not any gulf in class. Nearly half time now.

DannyInvincible
12/02/2012, 8:24 PM
90 minutes up. Going into extra-time. Drogba missed his second penalty of the tournament in the middle of the second half after Gervinho was brought down in the box. Blared it over the bar but stood looking at the penalty spot. Nobody to blame but himself. Terrible penalty. Either team could win this. Entertaining game.

citybone
12/02/2012, 8:54 PM
Looks like it will go to penalties. had a feeling alright. two good defences and not real treat going foward

DannyInvincible
12/02/2012, 9:07 PM
Will Drogba take one?

DannyInvincible
12/02/2012, 9:18 PM
Drogba scores and the Zambian keeper steps up to coolly make it 5-5. Sudden death.

citybone
12/02/2012, 9:26 PM
African cup of nations winners are Zambia!!

geysir
12/02/2012, 9:29 PM
I love penalty shoot outs ;)

That golden goal cráp had to among FIFA's least inspired moments.

theworm2345
12/02/2012, 9:32 PM
That was quality, very happy for Zambia but, as with most shootouts, feel for Ivory Coast.

DannyInvincible
12/02/2012, 9:38 PM
Pleased for Zambia, especially after the Ivory Coast were given a second opportunity to take their third penalty after the keeper was adjudged to have come off his line. You'd have to call back virtually all penalty saves for consistency's sake if that was going to be called back. Amazing drama all round. Didn't know when it was going to end.

Sullivinho
12/02/2012, 9:46 PM
Not a great final, as they often aren't, but one of the best penalty shootouts I've seen in a while. Some drama. Sinkala's pen reminded me of Zidane's against Italy from way back when. Precision stuff. Fair play to the Zambians, risky move hiring your manager from a Giorgio Armani ad but a masterstroke in retrospect.

Competition kicks off again in less than 12 months due to a reschedule to odd years!

BonnieShels
13/02/2012, 10:12 PM
Competition kicks off again in less than 12 months due to a reschedule to odd years!

Heaven forbid they may give us a rest and throw it on in 2015.
FFS.
How they are allowed get away with it every 2 years is beyond me.

ArdeeBhoy
14/02/2012, 12:17 PM
Agreed.

When the Euros goes to 24 teams it will be equally insufferable.

BonnieShels
14/02/2012, 12:30 PM
At least it's every 4 years.

ArdeeBhoy
14/02/2012, 1:48 PM
Aye, quantity over quality.

There's just far far too much football period. Which is a shame.

On a more positive point, delighted for Zambia as have some pals in the Irish SC who helped set up an orphanage and have been there a no.of times, so they were happy!

theworm2345
15/06/2012, 8:36 PM
The next edition will be held in 2013 (they're moving to odd years) and qualifying started just after the last tournament ended. Today Central African Republic pulled off a massive victory by beating Egypt in Egypt 2-3 (second leg will be played in Bangui on the 30th). This is a team who, prior to their attempt to qualify for the 2012 edition of the African Cup, had only entered World Cup Qualifying twice (they were disqualified in 1982 and failed in WC2002), rarely entered Qualifying for the African Cup, and were ranked 200th in the world in 2009, beating a team who won the African Cup of Nations three times in a row prior to this past edition. They were relatively close to qualifying for 2012. If you can't tell, I am impressed.

theworm2345
30/06/2012, 7:45 PM
Draw today saw Central African Republic through...well done to them.

BonnieShels
01/07/2012, 5:12 AM
Dear god no!

theworm2345
01/07/2012, 7:20 PM
Dear god no!
I disagree with your sentiment but I do understand -- I can't be bothered with the Euros unless Ireland are playing while many seem to be having a **** whenever any match is on.

BonnieShels
01/07/2012, 8:27 PM
The ACN is the worst of all the intl tournaments that get foisted on us in Europe.

bennocelt
01/07/2012, 8:55 PM
The ACN is the worst of all the intl tournaments that get foisted on us in Europe.
Def agree Bonnie, no comparison to the Euros which was a great month of top quality football. The last African nations was awful, truly awful

BonnieShels
01/07/2012, 9:13 PM
Every ANC/CAN/ACN or whatever they call it this month is crap. It's a scandal that it's every 2 years.

My fave is the Copa.