PDA

View Full Version : quality of EL football

Bossman Scally
26/07/2004, 12:51 PM
I would love to think that the quality of football that City have shown against NEC and Nantes will continue for the rest of the league season, but I'm afraid it won't! Why? Because of the opposition in the Eircom League. The EL is, of course, based on the "English" style of play, ie high tempo, with plenty of closing down of the opposition. Both NEC and Nantes played the "European" way, ie, slow, deliberate build up, with no real pressure applied until the opposition got in to there half. Both NEC and Nantes gave our players the space, and time, to control the ball and, therefore, pass better, That ain't going to happen in the EL! Everybody knows that if you pressurise a player, he is more likely to make errors. That is why so many EL games look poor, because more passes go astray and, therefore, we get less goalmouth action. If City are to challenge for the league this season, I think they need to use both the "English" and "European" styles of play. They need to chase the opposition down early when not in possession and, when they are in possession, they should be more precise and deliberate about there football. We should try and cut out the long ball over top, except when under pressure of course, and try to play the ball out of defense in a much more deliberate way. Let's be honest, I'd say 9 out of the 10 outfield players (sorry Benno!) who played on Saturday look comfortable on the ball, so we should try and use this assist more! I hope Pat has learnt form the European adventure and that City can now reap the benefits of this lesson!

thecorner
26/07/2004, 12:57 PM
(sorry Benno!) !

dont know what game you were watching :confused:

benno had a great game

Bossman Scally
26/07/2004, 1:19 PM
dont know what game you were watching :confused:

benno had a great game

I'm not saying that Benno had a bad game on Saturday, although he was at fault for the goal, but I thought he was the least comfortable on ball, ie he was playing "if in doubt, f**k it out" too much for my liking!

max power
26/07/2004, 1:26 PM
european way, by that do you mean the italian way, because spanish and french league football is played at a high tempo way.

i for one wouldn't watch italian football for love or money, BORING.pressurise a player he makes errors, is that not common sense, you can't win if you haven't got the ball so you do all you can to get it back when you don't have it.

i think if we got a little more skill and a lot less hoofball, that el would be on a higher footing.

noby
26/07/2004, 2:28 PM
They need to chase the opposition down early when not in possession and, when they are in possession, they should be more precise and deliberate about there football. We should try and cut out the long ball over top, except when under pressure

Can you not see what you're saying?
When you put pressure on the opposition and win the ball back, they're not going to sit back and watch your pretty passing. They're going to put pressure on you to win the ball back, or play the "long ball over the top". And so on, and so on.

Bossman Scally
26/07/2004, 2:48 PM
Hi Noby.

I hear what you are saying. Now, I'm from the "Old School" of football, ie "get it on the deck and move it around a bit"! Nothing pleases me more than watching a lovely one touch passing move resulting in a goalscoring opportunity! If you want to keep the pressure off when you have the ball, then you play the ball quickly and accurately, either to feet or into space. I know that EL teams won't let the opposition dwell on the ball, and why should they. I'm just saying that teams should adopt a more "slicker" method of play, rather than the "hoof" it approach. I lot of "barstoolers" say that the EL is all kick and rush. It is up to the top teams to prove to them that this is no longer the truth.

max power
26/07/2004, 2:50 PM
they are but the barstoolers won't leave the bar stool to see the game so its a lose:lose sitution.

the fact that the game on sat wasn't televised didn't help the cause at all....

Bossman Scally
26/07/2004, 3:12 PM
If the barstoolers won't leave there seats, then we need to take the game to the barstoolers! The fact that only one EL game last season was shown live on TV, and that was the truely shocking 0-0 draw between City and Bohs, was an absolute disgrace. It gave the barstoolers the chance to spout there "same old s***e" mantra. I think it's about time the FAI bit the bullet and sold the TV rights for the EL cheaply! Why! Because we need more exposure on a national basis, and not just the half-arsed highlights package that TV3 present at 11.35pm on a Monday night! If the FAI gave the TV companines a "knocked down, never to be repeated, take it or leave it" offer then I think the EL will reap the benefits. I'd rather get a little of something than f**k all off anything! The EL is an excellent league which is contiually improving, but we need more people to know this!

Dazzy
26/07/2004, 4:02 PM
Derry and Waterford was shown on the Last day last season so there was two ;)

Well if you would email TG4 and Setanta you would know their plans on what there doing regarding tv for EL

Schumi
26/07/2004, 4:09 PM
Derry and Waterford was shown on the Last day last season so there was two ;)An inspired choice! Showing a game on TV when there are 4 competing premier division games. :rolleyes:

observer
26/07/2004, 4:19 PM
Don't knock TV 3 Bossman. It may noy be great but it is all we have. Coverage from RTE is nil, coverage on Sunday papers is nil. What kind of an offer were you suggesting be made that would entice any station to get interested? (taking it for granted that FAI won't bother with any attempt at a trade off).
My suggestion is that pressure is put on Bertie. When it appeared that Sky would monopolise the televising of Irelands international games, RTE ran crying to Bertie who ensured EU law was upheld and matches televised on the home stations. Now its pay back time and the goverment should lobby the stations to help promote the EL. (some hope)! :rolleyes:

sullanefc
26/07/2004, 4:50 PM
european way, by that do you mean the italian way, because spanish and french league football is played at a high tempo way.

i for one wouldn't watch italian football for love or money, BORING.

Just remembered a chant from the shed on Saturday when Nantes were passing the ball around the back and not getting very far.

BORING, BORING, BORING!!!!!

Funny :D

Slash/ED
26/07/2004, 5:28 PM
Derry and Waterford was shown on the Last day last season so there was two ;)

Well if you would email TG4 and Setanta you would know their plans on what there doing regarding tv for EL

As was Bohs V Shels, which was a very good match. Not to mention four FAI cup matches, so that's seven matches, not one, nine if Bohs V Rosenborg x2 counts.

A face
26/07/2004, 11:25 PM
My suggestion is that pressure is put on Bertie. When it appeared that Sky would monopolise the televising of Irelands international games, RTE ran crying to Bertie who ensured EU law was upheld and matches televised on the home stations. Now its pay back time and the goverment should lobby the stations to help promote the EL. (some hope)! :rolleyes:

Maybe not Bertie .... but your local TD, you are quite entitled to do so seeing as you have to pay for an extortionate TV licence (in comparison to the rest of Europe, to whom the same EU law applies).

The stations welcome the punters inactivity, as they can sit back and enjoy status quo. Likewise with TD's as it is less to do.

eoinh
27/07/2004, 9:19 AM
Maybe not Bertie .... but your local TD, you are quite entitled to do so seeing as you have to pay for an extortionate TV licence (in comparison to the rest of Europe, to whom the same EU law applies).

The stations welcome the punters inactivity, as they can sit back and enjoy status quo. Likewise with TD's as it is less to do.

Ok A Face why dont we form a small group and approach a local Cork TD.

im a member of the Labour Party. The local labour northside TD is Kathleen Lynch. She knows the power of local football. Last season she was handing out membership forms outside Turners Cross so she obviously knows about the numbers of people who go to football matchs in Cork.

Why dont other football supporters form groups and approach their local TD, whatever that TD happens to be a party of.

sparkey
27/07/2004, 9:34 AM
If the FAI gave the TV companines a "knocked down, never to be repeated, take it or leave it" offer
They would leave it, just as they are doing now. Unfortunately. :(

Macy
27/07/2004, 9:39 AM
I think it's about time the FAI bit the bullet and sold the TV rights for the EL cheaply! Why! Because we need more exposure on a national basis, and not just the half-arsed highlights package that TV3 present at 11.35pm on a Monday night! If the FAI gave the TV companines a "knocked down, never to be repeated, take it or leave it" offer then I think the EL will reap the benefits.
The FAI can't sell the rights, TV3 were forced to take them as part of the international deal. What the FAI should be doing is forcing the TV companies to show more games, decent highlights package (Professional Camera at every game), highlights package no later than 10pm. Tie it in with both the RTE deal and the Sky deal. (btw they should also force RTE to show the U21's as well).

Éanna
27/07/2004, 7:09 PM
the problem is that kick and rush works in the eL- shelbourne are proof of that. city are very good at the pass-and-move style of football, but it isn't as easy to do under the kind of pressure you're under in your average eL game.

tippman
29/07/2004, 9:45 PM
shels like it or not play deffo the most effecitve football in the el

A face
29/07/2004, 10:29 PM
Ok A Face why dont we form a small group and approach a local Cork TD.

im a member of the Labour Party. The local labour northside TD is Kathleen Lynch. She knows the power of local football. Last season she was handing out membership forms outside Turners Cross so she obviously knows about the numbers of people who go to football matchs in Cork.

Why dont other football supporters form groups and approach their local TD, whatever that TD happens to be a party of.

Eoin ... good idea, no harm and seeing what actually happens. If you wanna met up and we'll get the thinking caps on.

Anyone else interested in this ??

eoinh
30/07/2004, 11:00 PM
i'll pm you soon!

A face
31/07/2004, 8:11 PM
i'll pm you soon!

No worries .. talk soon !!

Éanna
01/08/2004, 12:49 PM
shels like it or not play deffo the most effecitve football in the el
I don't like it at all, but you are right. No point denying it, they have the trophies to prove it. I have a feeling we'll change that though- the waterford game marked a turning point IMO