PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2012 Build Up Thread.......

Closed Account
15/01/2012, 3:38 PM
Fixtures:

29th February:
Republic of Ireland V Czech Republic
Aviva Stadium 19:45

May 20/21
Squad Meet Up
Malahide.

May 26th
Republic of Ireland V Bosnia-Herzegovina(unconfirmed)
Aviva Stadium

End of May
Florence Training Camp.

Jun 4th
Republic of Ireland V TBC
Venue: Hungary

Next Stop Gydnia.....

TAKING SHAPE: Summer schedule mapped out THE IRISH squad’s schedule ahead of Euro 2012 appears to be taking shape, with a preliminary timetable for the team’s preparations beginning to emerge. Although still subject to confirmation, it appears the bulk of Giovanni Trapattoni’s players will meet up at their traditional base in Malahide around May 20th or 21st.
On the 26th, Bosnia Herzegovina are likely to provide the opposition for Ireland in their final game prior to their departure for the championship.
Trapattoni and co are then expected to head for a training camp outside Florence in Italy where they will stay for about a week.
On June 3rd they will move on, probably to Hungary, for a game on the 4th and the day after that they will head for their tournament base at Gdynia in Poland, their final stop-off before their opening game of the championship against Croatia on June 10th.

liamoo11
15/01/2012, 5:00 PM
is it unusual that there is no international dates in march?Seeing the schedule shows how hard it will be for anyone to break into the squad or into the team unless they do put in serious performances against the czechs

Closed Account
15/01/2012, 5:28 PM
is it unusual that there is no international dates in march?Seeing the schedule shows how hard it will be for anyone to break into the squad or into the team unless they do put in serious performances against the czechs
There could be an international date on the 27th of March but I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere.

ArdeeBhoy
16/01/2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks for schedule, except, oh great, another two home friendlies.

Away to Slovenia might have made more sense? Instead of the Czechs who are slightly pointless opposition at this stage.

Charlie Darwin
17/01/2012, 1:53 AM
There's no money in playing away qualifiers in eastern Europe. There's a reason we rarely play a friendly outside of Ireland, and even then London is the usual location.

French Toasht
17/01/2012, 2:03 PM
Agreed. Dublin friendlies are seen as a very attractive prospect for opposition teams, beacuse despite the recent slump in attendances, we still get attendances way above the European average. In the Euro 2012 qualification campaign we had the 5th highest average attendance in Europe. Only England, France, Germany and Scotland had higher.

Crosby87
17/01/2012, 10:07 PM
Will be interesting to see which borderline squad members are in form, and if we can stay healthy through these next 5 months.

superfrank
18/01/2012, 6:25 AM
Instead of the Czechs who are slightly pointless opposition at this stage.
From what I've seen, the Czechs are close enough to our level, though probably do better against weaker teams while we do better against stronger teams. Nothing wrong with playing them.

French Toasht
18/01/2012, 11:09 AM
Its unusual that Trap decided to locate in Sopot, near Gydnia, considering that would be known as Polands answer to Bennidorm. Considering all that Trap has had to say about the drinking culture with the Irish players, I would have thought that location would not have been the wisest choice.

Crosby87
18/01/2012, 11:43 AM
Its unusual that Trap decided to locate in Sopot, near Gydnia, considering that would be known as Polands answer to Bennidorm. Considering all that Trap has had to say about the drinking culture with the Irish players, I would have thought that location would not have been the wisest choice.

Well they aren't Children Toasty. Maybe he trusts that in a spot like this, first Tourney in 10 years, etc... that they can have one long session when they first meet up then get serious. Hard to see them going too crazy with Italy and ESP looming.
The only chance I see for social disaster is if they lose the first 2 games. He tells them to stay in...they go out.... That could turn into a **** show.

French Toasht
18/01/2012, 1:42 PM
Well they aren't Children Toasty. Maybe he trusts that in a spot like this, first Tourney in 10 years, etc... that they can have one long session when they first meet up then get serious. Hard to see them going too crazy with Italy and ESP looming.
The only chance I see for social disaster is if they lose the first 2 games. He tells them to stay in...they go out.... That could turn into a **** show.

I just find it unusual considering that the drink culture among Irish players has been a real issue that has irked Trap during his reign as manager. He even objected to the three day bender the players went on after the second leg against Estonia (I personally would have thought that was more an issue for their club managers to take issue with). Sure even just this week he has hung Marc Wilson out to dry as an example of unruliness with reference to his going out. I trust the squad he chooses won't do an England rugby team on it, but its just a strange decision nonetheless.

Also with regard to your suggestion "they can have one long session when they first meet up", I tend to disagree. The moment the players report for international duty, I think they should go cold turkey until the time we get eliminated from the tournament. Theres plenty of other outlets for team bonding like golf tournaments and poker nights that don't involve alcohol.

SwanVsDalton
18/01/2012, 2:54 PM
I just find it unusual considering that the drink culture among Irish players has been a real issue that has irked Trap during his reign as manager. He even objected to the three day bender the players went on after the second leg against Estonia (I personally would have thought that was more an issue for their club managers to take issue with). Sure even just this week he has hung Marc Wilson out to dry as an example of unruliness with reference to his going out. I trust the squad he chooses won't do an England rugby team on it, but its just a strange decision nonetheless.

If drink's an issue, I'd say they'd find it whether on the seaside or up a mountain. Quality facilities, however, were much harder to find at the short notice Ireland had.

Scooby Doo
18/01/2012, 5:38 PM
Also with regard to your suggestion "they can have one long session when they first meet up", I tend to disagree. The moment the players report for international duty, I think they should go cold turkey until the time we get eliminated from the tournament. Theres plenty of other outlets for team bonding like golf tournaments and poker nights that don't involve alcohol.
or win it...:good:

ArdeeBhoy
18/01/2012, 8:16 PM

Next you'll be telling us there's no :rolleyes: pubs or hard drink available across the rest of Poland...

ArdeeBhoy
18/01/2012, 8:21 PM
There's no money in playing away qualifiers in eastern Europe. There's a reason we rarely play a friendly outside of Ireland, and even then London is the usual location.
Well yeah. And frankly it's sh*t that they only play one friendly away from home annually and 3 usually soporific homes ones.
No problem with Bosnia this time or any decent E.European side, including...

From what I've seen, the Czechs are close enough to our level, though probably do better against weaker teams while we do better against stronger teams. Nothing wrong with playing them.

Well yes. But why not away, though Slovenia would have been better as we've never played, I believe?
And their style more similar to the Croats and possibly even Italy.

Closed Account
25/01/2012, 8:55 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0125/1224310725126.html

The Republic of Ireland have announced their friendly schedule ahead of Euro 2012 with Giovanni Trapattoni’s side set to play Bosnia and Herzogovina and Hungary in warm-up’s before flying out to Poland.

Ireland will play Bosnia and Herzogovina at the Aviva Stadium on 26 May before departing for a week of training at Florence. That period could feature a match against a local team.

The team will then travel to face Hungary for a match on 4 June.

Ireland’s first fixture in Euro 2012 is against Croatia in Poznan on 10 June.

The team is already scheduled to play the Czech Republic on 29 February and FAI Chief Executive John Delaney confirmed that tickets would be available at low prices for that fixture.

Adult stand tickets will be available from €20, while general admission tickets for children are €10.

Real ale Madrid
25/01/2012, 9:50 AM
I find it more strange that we are travelling to the country of one of our opponents for a week long training camp. Surely the media glare that will generate is unnecessary ?

Edit....

And a possible match against a local team? - thats just daft.

ifk101
25/01/2012, 9:58 AM
I find it more strange that we are travelling to the country of one of our opponents for a week long training camp. Surely the media glare that will generate is unnecessary ?

Edit....

The media glare, if any, would be on Trapattoni rather than the team. Nothing to be concerned about.

tetsujin1979
25/01/2012, 12:37 PM

Edit....

The media glare will be the same no matter where the training camp is held.

elroy
25/01/2012, 1:30 PM

Edit....

Remember Mick did that in 2002 as well, think it was the game McAteer picked up his injury in.

Crosby87
25/01/2012, 11:01 PM
Seems like a lot of moving around before they get to Poland, where if Toasht is correct they will all drink themselves to death anyway.

So The Galaxy are paying Keane all that money and he is going to leave for the better part of a month even if they dont get out of the first round? Or will he be later than the rest?

Sullivinho
25/01/2012, 11:57 PM
Remember Mick did that in 2002 as well, think it was the game McAteer picked up his injury in.

Coincidentally...it was a Cameroon international that did him (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mcateer-injury-casts-shadow-over-warmup-501225.html) and all. Of course Jason's pain could have been spared if Bilong had been provided with a more precise description of Duffer.

theworm2345
26/01/2012, 1:01 AM
I wonder if Spain would call Torres if current form holds. If they do I'm sure he'd manage to hit form in late May or early June (then go back to **** for another two years).

Charlie Darwin
26/01/2012, 1:27 AM
Well Villa is unlikely to return until the eve of the competition at the earliest so they may not have a choice but to use El Nino.

elroy
26/01/2012, 12:27 PM
Iniesta went off injured in the Real game last night. A thigh injury, think its the third time this season its caused him trouble. Not hoping that he might affect him for the summer or anything!!!