PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Czech Republic - Wednesday, 29th February 2012 - Friendly

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

nigel-harps1954
01/03/2012, 1:41 AM
I didn't think McClean did a huge amount when he came on. The only way his substitute impacted things was the crowd got massively behind the team for about 10 minutes. The real impact changes were Cox and Walters. Questionable decision at the time, but they totally changed the way things happened up front. Really great finish from Cox but the defending by the Czechs was awful.

Poor enough performance by both sides, disappointed that Coleman or Duffy didn't get a run out but it's to be expected of Trap at this stage. I would fear for both players place on the plane to the Euros at this rate.

ifk101
01/03/2012, 6:45 AM
The subsititutions helped us as we lost our shape. Whether this was by design or not is unclear, but we became more open which gave us the chance to give it a go. Disappointing that Trapattoni didn't use the match to try something new or look at his options on the bench but his way got us to where we are. Without Dunne on the pitch our defensive leader was playing at RB. The problem with that is illustrated by the goal the Czechs scored. Difficult to find fault with individual player performances, everybody did that expected of them. Andrews had a good game, Cox took his goal well, and McClean got a run sums up the night's entertainment.

drummerboy
01/03/2012, 8:48 AM
Very strange that McCarthy was in the original panel yet, when a change was made it was the late inclusion, Green, who came on. It baffles me to be honest. It suggests the Trap didn't like what he saw from McCarthy in training.

backstothewall
01/03/2012, 9:39 AM
Walters leaves thread dejected.

You'll not hold that against me. It was 2am, and I'd just driven over a hundred miles (and been stuck outside the point for an hour in the traffic from Olly ****ing Murs getting out)

I'll give Walters a nice 7. It would be nice to see up front on his own in a 4-2-3-1

geysir
01/03/2012, 9:43 AM
After looking at the RTE highlights, it was remiss of me to pick on O'Shea for being the main rogue in the build up to their goal. And he was trying to communicate with a tardy St Ledger to cover the threat from Baros, a back 4 communication defect that Bear had pointed out.
Out of the 3, O'Shea actually had less culpability and Ward was doing what he should have been doing, covering the left.
I'd imagine Trap will doing his head in over how easy it was in that move, for most of the team to lose their shape and be dragged all over the place

Considering how our CM was so dysfunctional in the 2nd half, Trap had to make a change, it was a choice between McCarthy or Green. I suppose he went for the experienced head, a player who he can trust better to plug the gaps, not necessarily the better player.

Predator
01/03/2012, 9:44 AM
As soon as I was finished cursing the dearth of quality in centre midfield, levelling accusations of uselessness at Andrews in particular, he went and did some hard work. He's making a habit of making me eat my words is our Keith.

ifk101
01/03/2012, 10:50 AM
O'Shea clearly communicates with the doc to track Baros. The doc was having one of his lapses in concentration again and chose not to do so. But the goal was coming one way or the other, the Czechs were well on top at that stage of the game.

Trapattoni has in his mind what his strongest eleven is. That eleven are well versed in how Trapattoni wants them to play. Last night's game was an opportunity to try something new that wasn't taken. Quite disheartening to see Green coming on (especially when we're a goal down), and promising youngsters like Coleman, Duffy and McCarthy lefted to watch from the sidelines.

shakermaker1982
01/03/2012, 11:25 AM
Typical friendly game for us.

Always good to avoid defeat but I think we needed to try something new instead of same old same old. Nothing too dramatic just a wee tweak here and there. I think it would have been nice to see McCarthy partner Andrews and I wanted to see a Keane/Walters partnership.

I really do think the team can cause a shock or two this summer. If we can keep each game tight, frustrate our opponents and raise our game like we tend to do at major tournaments then picking up points is not out of the question.

McClean is a real live wire and I really think he could make an impact at Euro 2012 if given a shot. If only we had a big powerful central midfielder....

Great goal by Cox. We are spolit for strikers at the moment. Keane, Doyle, Walters, Cox and Long are great options to have and when you look what Stuart Pearce has to work with it does make you realise how lucky we are.

Murfinator
01/03/2012, 11:29 AM
Very strange that McCarthy was in the original panel yet, when a change was made it was the late inclusion, Green, who came on. It baffles me to be honest. It suggests the Trap didn't like what he saw from McCarthy in training.

Greens handled the step up to international a lot better than James, Trap has been giving him chances but obviously feels he isn't ready.

Irwin3
01/03/2012, 12:04 PM
Greens handled the step up to international a lot better than James, Trap has been giving him chances but obviously feels he isn't ready.

Defending Green playing ahead of McCarthy. I've heard it all now. That 60 out of position minutes a year ago was some chance for James.

Seeing Green coming on ahead of McCarthy was the most disheartening thing I've seen from an Ireland manager. I felt like crying.

ArdeeBhoy
01/03/2012, 12:13 PM
McCarthy is so over-rated it's not true.
That said, Green is a donkey.

Honourable group elimination beckons, surely

geysir
01/03/2012, 12:20 PM
Once upon a time AB, you would have predicted a dishonourable group elimination, I see signs of some optimism creeping in.

Dunners
01/03/2012, 12:36 PM
Sorry cant agree with this McCarthy has not been given any opportunity to play in his natural role for us

McCarthy is so over-rated it's not true. - How do you come by this conclusion the lad has not had an opportunity to show what he can do for us

Last night McCarthy should have played from the start never mind be overlooked by Green (who is not rated as high as Hendrick by the Derby support)
I know we can all be arm chair managers but its an absolute travesty that he is not giving young players a chance to prove themselves worthy of a place
in the squad. It must be so frustrating for some of them, this is what friendly’s are for he should know his first eleven inside out . We should have used this
game to give some of the youngsters a chance to show what they can do. What a shame we haven’t got Abramovich to tell him what team to pick.

Total waste of an opportunity once again from Trap

Total waste of an opportunity once again from Trap

pineapple stu
01/03/2012, 12:45 PM
On the sports news on the radio there that Trap didn't bring on McCarthy because he was too young to bring on in a game we were losing.

Said that the game was still important for FIFA rankings, but I don't see how that's relevant with the Euro and World Cup draws already made?

tetsujin1979
01/03/2012, 12:58 PM
I know we can all be arm chair managers but its an absolute travesty that he is not giving young players a chance to prove themselves worthy of a place in the squad.Not this again. Off the top of my head Coleman, McCarthy, O'Dea, Randolph, Henderson, Clifford, Treacy, Sheridan, McClean all called into the squad by Trapattoni since he took over.

It must be so frustrating for some of them, this is what friendly’s are for he should know his first eleven inside out.I'm pretty sure he does
We should have used this game to give some of the youngsters a chance to show what they can do.You mean like trying a new partnership at centre half, or give two new strike partners a run in the same game, twice?

What a shame we haven’t got Abramovich to tell him what team to pick.I don't even know where to start with that one

Total waste of an opportunity once again from TrapTake the blinkers off and recognise the opportunities that were taken, instead of the ones you wish had been.

Closed Account
01/03/2012, 1:19 PM
Trap has said before that he wants to see more of McCarthy, hear him talking more, demanding the ball more.
He's been playing either in a 5 man midfield or in front of 3 central defenders this season. Neither formation we play.
My guess is that he'll only throw him on for Robbie Keane if we are winning a game. A waste, sure, but until McCarthy starts dominating midfield for his club, or impressing more in training, that's how Trap will see it. We all know he's stubborn.

If McCarthy isn't getting a game, likewise Coleman or anyone else, they mustn't be impressing enough in training. Green obviously has something about him that Trap can't ignore, either he's ones one of those mouthy players in training (or has naked pics of Trap and Manuela).

I'm like most fans, I want to see us keep the ball more, want to see young lads get a chance, want more excitement during games etc, but to blame it all on Trap is missing part of the issue. The players have to take some of the responsibility. Trap can't stop us playing football like we famously did in Paris. That's my main hope for the summer, that somehow the players will drag themselves up by their bootlaces and produce some performances. Last night nobody wanted to be the one with the wrong 'mentality' and lose their squad/team place.

It's unfair that McCarthy, Coleman aren't getting gametime to show us fans what they're about, but we have to assume that Trap is learning far more on the training pitch. New players don't walk straight into the lineup at clublevel, international football is another stepup because of the limited time together. McCarthy could possibly have trouble learning/adapting to the system?

And I wouldn't take any heed of what Dunphy has to say on the matter, he has no idea about how much the game has developed since he was in a dressing room, he's a spoofer looking for a few column inches.

Dunners
01/03/2012, 1:44 PM
Tets - I was referring to McCarthy and McClean. I was not asking for a B team selection

Abramovich was tongue in cheek

When did I blink and miss the opportunities taken

Charlie Darwin
01/03/2012, 1:44 PM
I think the simple fact is that we were losing the midfield battle for an hour and we restored some manner of parity after Green came on. It would have been nice to see McCarthy but it wouldn't have been great to see him come on to run around chasing shadows. And Green offered more than Whelan did on the night.

Stuttgart88
01/03/2012, 2:22 PM
Really disillusioned after last night. Either we were afraid of the ball or told not to look for it too keenly. The players showed no imagination or fluency and except for the first minute anything positive came more from force of will rather than anything fluent.

Last night the Swedes, the nation most devoted to 4-4-2 in history, went 4-3-3 and apparently comprehensively outplayed Croatia. Where's our imagination or flexibility?

Our full backs offer us nothing in attack, yet this position is one of the most critical in the modern game and, in my opinion, would be the key to converting this team from a laboured, static team of hoofers to a dynamic modern football team. Did O'Shea even once look to play a measured pass or did he always chip-pass a ball 30 yards up the touchline?

I don't think anyone played particuarly badly or well, it's just the lack of basic cohesion in possession that leaves me exasperated - and let's face it, it's been that way since we beat Finland 3-0 away in late 2002.

I'm all for being disciplined without the ball and for a while last night we pressed the ball harder than usual, but we just reverted to our customary "stand off" tactic before long. What we do with the ball is a huge disappointment.

Still, we're consistently better away from Dublin under Trap.

I had a dream last night: it was summer 2014 in Brazil, and Coleman and McClean were attacking full backs. Jim McLoughlin was Ireland manager! (OK, I made the dream bit up, that'd have been sad)

shakermaker1982
01/03/2012, 2:56 PM
O'Shea's distribution is infuriating Stutt's. Experienced pro taking the 50/50 option every time.

jbyrne
01/03/2012, 3:03 PM
Really disillusioned after last night. Either we were afraid of the ball or told not to look for it too keenly. The players showed no imagination or fluency and except for the first minute anything positive came more from force of will rather than anything fluent.

Last night the Swedes, the nation most devoted to 4-4-2 in history, went 4-3-3 and apparently comprehensively outplayed Croatia. Where's our imagination or flexibility?

Our full backs offer us nothing in attack, yet this position is one of the most critical in the modern game and, in my opinion, would be the key to converting this team from a laboured, static team of hoofers to a dynamic modern football team. Did O'Shea even once look to play a measured pass or did he always chip-pass a ball 30 yards up the touchline?

I'm all for being disciplined without the ball and for a while last night we pressed the ball harder than usual, but we just reverted to our customary "stand off" tactic before long. What we do with the ball is a huge disappointment.

have to agree with this a lot. while trapps shape and system has got us so far you cant help feeling that if we even just pressed a little further up the pitch and allowed our full backs just a little more freedom to push on we would be a far more effective team. the first 5 mins and last 15 mins of last nights game would support this.

also, i just cant fathom why he insists on our wingers playing on their wrong foot. how many times did mcgeady and duff have to check back onto their stronger foot when they got themselves into decent crossing positions?

Irwin3
01/03/2012, 3:41 PM
have to agree with this a lot. while trapps shape and system has got us so far you cant help feeling that if we even just pressed a little further up the pitch and allowed our full backs just a little more freedom to push on we would be a far more effective team. the first 5 mins and last 15 mins of last nights game would support this.

also, i just cant fathom why he insists on our wingers playing on their wrong foot. how many times did mcgeady and duff have to check back onto their stronger foot when they got themselves into decent crossing positions?

Spot on. Plus when McGeady does beat his man on the outside he has this tendency to sandwedge the ball with his left foot straight into the keeper's hands. When McGeady moved to the right he whipped in a beauty which O'Dea? nearly scored from. I think it's fair enough if he gets them to switch a lot during the game but I'm not a fan of the default position being leftie on the right and rightie on the left. Although if McClean forces his way in then it will probably change.

nigel-harps1954
01/03/2012, 4:12 PM
I think some people have their heads so far up Traps arse it's unreal.
It's a feckin disgrace he didn't give a couple of players on the bench at least 45 minutes. Rankings or no rankings, the friendly games are where you try out other players. Why the feck isn't he giving fringe players a start in some games? It's stupid, boring stuff.

A lot of folk are happy with things going as they are, Trap picking his strongest 11 for a friendly, not giving Coleman, McCarthy, McClean, Fahey and Duffy amongst others a decent run out. When exactly are these lads going to get a game? Most people would suggest that all 5 of those names could easily be in the starting 11 ahead of whats there, but how are we going to know how they fit into the system if they aren't given a chance?

We all know what Green, Hunt, McGeady, Duff, Whelan, Andrews et all can do. We don't need to test them out more when theres others needing to be tested.

Someone please tell me, what is the use in having these lads along if they aren't going to be given enough game time? Experience training with the squad doesn't cut it for me. They need to be given game time.

geysir
01/03/2012, 5:23 PM
McGeady left foot is about as good as his right.
Proven by scientific research.

Personally I prefer a winger like McGeady to use a mix of ways to get rid of the ball, cutting inside along the line into the penalty area creates the most panic, cutback to an onrushing midfielder/striker - absent from our game, cut in on the outside and have a shot or pass it on and crossing the ball high into the box.

SwanVsDalton
01/03/2012, 6:15 PM
It's a feckin disgrace he didn't give a couple of players on the bench at least 45 minutes. Rankings or no rankings, the friendly games are where you try out other players. Why the feck isn't he giving fringe players a start in some games? It's stupid, boring stuff.

A lot of folk are happy with things going as they are, Trap picking his strongest 11 for a friendly, not giving Coleman, McCarthy, McClean, Fahey and Duffy amongst others a decent run out. When exactly are these lads going to get a game? Most people would suggest that all 5 of those names could easily be in the starting 11 ahead of whats there, but how are we going to know how they fit into the system if they aren't given a chance?

We all know what Green, Hunt, McGeady, Duff, Whelan, Andrews et all can do. We don't need to test them out more when theres others needing to be tested.

Someone please tell me, what is the use in having these lads along if they aren't going to be given enough game time? Experience training with the squad doesn't cut it for me. They need to be given game time.

I don't disagree - I don't think it would hurt to get more of these guys involved either but I'm fairly ambivalent, particularly in the lead up to the finals. Guess game time for the people he's most likely to have involved takes bigger priority since there's very little get together time before Croatia in June. More variety would be nice, but I'm not tearing my hair out over it simply because the manager, in fairness, has proved a willingness to get players game time.

Moreover big change-up's with inexperienced players would lessen the night and more likely see us incurring a heavy defeat (the subs who made the difference were Walters, Cox and Green after all). Friendlies don't really matter all that much if you win but, in the lead up to the finals, getting a thumping would be pretty damaging imo.

Alf Honn
01/03/2012, 8:18 PM

Wonder if the Trap worshippers would be still trying to defend him today if Cech hadn't made a late, woeful mistake of allowing a shot slip by him at the near post.

Some friends of mine vowed never to come to a match, saying they were bored enough watching Trap style on tele. With tickets a tenner, convinced five of them to come last night and the visit only reinforced their view.

What they observed of our super manager was:
Plan A: Given pump it into the air for Long to flick on, wingers win a few frees and hope for best from set pieces.
Plan B: Ditto (replace Long with Walters).

Someone sitting in the stand on 30k per year, never mind the 30K per week Trap is on, could see McGeady's legs were gone after an hour. Yet, he leaves him on for another 20 mins. It was his first game in about 4 months, what did he expect!

The game also showed that Stephen Ward is not ready for even a medium level of international football. Full of commitment etc but too many times got caught out. The Euro opponents will go to town on him.

The worst thing is there's plenty of options there. Our form player McClean should have on at HT and Wilson has been far better in the EPL this season than Ward.

But never mind, at least the rankings were protected.

tricky_colour
01/03/2012, 8:43 PM
One thing I would mention about the goal was the apparent absence of the midfield, I mean it was Duff who was putting in the tackle, but where were Whelan and Andrews? It was kind of the opposite of how we are supposed to play under Trap, the central midfield pairing are supposed to be sitting back in front of the centre halves?

Charlie Darwin
01/03/2012, 10:44 PM
Wonder if the Trap worshippers would be still trying to defend him today if Cech hadn't made a late, woeful mistake of allowing a shot slip by him at the near post.

Some friends of mine vowed never to come to a match, saying they were bored enough watching Trap style on tele. With tickets a tenner, convinced five of them to come last night and the visit only reinforced their view.

What they observed of our super manager was:
Plan A: Given pump it into the air for Long to flick on, wingers win a few frees and hope for best from set pieces.
Plan B: Ditto (replace Long with Walters).

Someone sitting in the stand on 30k per year, never mind the 30K per week Trap is on, could see McGeady's legs were gone after an hour. Yet, he leaves him on for another 20 mins. It was his first game in about 4 months, what did he expect!

The game also showed that Stephen Ward is not ready for even a medium level of international football. Full of commitment etc but too many times got caught out. The Euro opponents will go to town on him.

The worst thing is there's plenty of options there. Our form player McClean should have on at HT and Wilson has been far better in the EPL this season than Ward.

But never mind, at least the rankings were protected.
Not a dig at you or your mates, but does anyone know when Irish people became such connoisseurs of good football? Like our team now is no less exciting than it's ever been, with the possible exception of the latter Mick era. Under Staunton we were both disorganised AND scared of the football.

ArdeeBhoy
01/03/2012, 11:55 PM
Bar the 4 points at best, no-one thinks we're going to to feck all in the Euros anyway.

So, ultimately, besides Grumphy's justification for his very existence, who really cares??

Crosby87
02/03/2012, 12:59 AM
All due respect Ards.. I disagree completely. The Sports World is rife with crazy ****. Strange things do happen now in sport all the time for well prepared outfits.
I watch the Giants EVERY week, sometimes to the detriment of being sick, and I would nay tell ya Eli would ring up a second Super Bowl.
**** Truly Does happen.
So I think its wise to have the cards ready. Play the best hand and care about all of it, as it were.

Stuttgart88
02/03/2012, 10:32 AM
If only Trap was as entertaining on the pitch (http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/captain-trap-not-for-changing-185812.html)

and this from Emmet Malone today (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0302/1224312634418.html)

shakermaker1982
02/03/2012, 10:57 AM
McCarthy and McClean too young for the Euro's? Bull****. How old were Whiteside/Pele/Maradonna when they played on the big stage. I'd rather he just admitted he wants to stick with the players he has worked with these last few years.

McCarthy not going I can deal with. He hasn't set the world alight and hasn't really progressed since his serious injury last season. McClean however has to be considered if his good form continues. We need players in the squad getting game time and full of confidence.

tetsujin1979
02/03/2012, 11:11 AM
and this from Emmet Malone today (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0302/1224312634418.html)quite possibly the first time Giovanni Trapattoni paraphrased Kurt Cobain!

geysir
02/03/2012, 11:48 AM
McCarthy and McClean too young for the Euro's? Bull****. How old were Whiteside/Pele/Maradonna when they played on the big stage. I'd rather he just admitted he wants to stick with the players he has worked with these last few years.

Trap readily admits the experience factor being nr.1 in that IT article,
with Trapattoni highlighting “experience” as the priority when he selects his travelling party;

It follows that he considers McClean and McCarthy as having less experience to offer than the contenders.

brine3
02/03/2012, 1:38 PM
with Trapattoni highlighting “experience” as the priority when he selects his travelling party;

It follows that he considers McClean and McCarthy as having less experience to offer than the contenders.

Whose fault is it that McCarthy doesn't have enough international experience?

shakermaker1982
02/03/2012, 1:45 PM

There is a difference between being 'too young' and being 'inexperienced'. You can be a 21 year old and have 4 years experience of senior football. Conversely you could be a 30 year old and have spent 13 years of your career sitting on a bench gaining no experience whatsoever.

The quotes the IT artictle uses is 'too young'. I've not seen nor read the full transcript of the full press conference/interview. James McCarthy is 21 but has 6 years of first team football behind him. 3 of those seasons being spent in the EPL (top flight football). Paul Green is 28 but has spent most of his time at Championship/League 1 level. McCarthy is surely the player with the most 'top flight' experience out of the two players. Darron Gibson played 31 times for United over a 7 year period!! What bracket does he come under?

McClean is 22, he is no pup. We aren't talking about a kid. He seems level headed and has taken to the EPL like a duck to water. He needs to be on the plane. Bump Hunt from the list if need be.

Irwin3
02/03/2012, 2:01 PM
There is a difference between being 'too young' and being 'inexperienced'. You can be a 21 year old and have 4 years experience of senior football. Conversely you could be a 30 year old and have spent 13 years of your career sitting on a bench gaining no experience whatsoever.

The quotes the IT artictle uses is 'too young'. I've not seen nor read the full transcript of the full press conference/interview. James McCarthy is 21 but has 6 years of first team football behind him. 3 of those seasons being spent in the EPL (top flight football). Paul Green is 28 but has spent most of his time at Championship/League 1 level. McCarthy is surely the player with the most 'top flight' experience out of the two players. Darron Gibson played 31 times for United over a 7 year period!! What bracket does he come under?

McClean is 22, he is no pup. We aren't talking about a kid. He seems level headed and has taken to the EPL like a duck to water. He needs to be on the plane. Bump Hunt from the list if need be.

Agree overall. However, Gibson played 60 times for Man Utd in all competitions including a CL SF+QF, FA Cup SF and 2 LC Finals. So he has more quality experience than most, if not the quantity.

geysir
02/03/2012, 2:31 PM

Irrelevant to Shakermaker's post that I was replying to.

I don't regard that fact as a blame game exercise.
Every party has their responsibility, including McCarthy. Had he been fit enough to take part in the RDS friendlies, he quite possibly would have received the same opportunity that was offered and taken by Green for this qual campaign. One can only speculate.
Possibly you are alluding that it is Trap's responsibility? I'd see his culpability when he gave McCarthy a very difficult role in that friendly.

geysir
02/03/2012, 2:40 PM

I am not arguing against your opinion, or getting nitty picky over the meaning of words in an article. I'm just pointing out that Trap has said and is well understood to have said, that experience is his criteria for inclusion in the squad.

If we were to discuss what experience means :)
afaiu, when Trap mentions experience, it's not necessarily caps/game time, but an attitude in the player that readily understands the role he expects them to perform on the pitch.

pineapple stu
02/03/2012, 2:42 PM
I assume Trap would say you can gain experience in other ways than playing internationals (i.e. in club football)

Charlie Darwin
02/03/2012, 2:59 PM
I think 'experience' for Trap is like 'mentalitee.' It's not really something that can be measured using stats. It's something only Il Trap is qualified to assess.

freewheel30
02/03/2012, 4:10 PM
In McClean's case, Trap might be saying he's "too young" just to keep him hungry and make sure he keeps up his club form - what he did on the pitch the other night wouldn't really have hurt his selection chances. Haven't Given, Duff and Long all made statements during the last week or so to the effect that McClean should travel? It would be difficult even for Trap to ignore the wishes of players, fans and the media.

geysir
02/03/2012, 4:54 PM
I think 'experience' for Trap is like 'mentalitee.' It's not really something that can be measured using stats. It's something only Il Trap is qualified to assess.
So, where does 'personality' fit in?

Charlie Darwin
02/03/2012, 5:48 PM
I think he sends them for free stress tests on Abbey St to determine personalitee.

gastric
03/03/2012, 5:33 AM
Interesting move by the FAI.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0303/1224312713123.html

DannyInvincible
03/03/2012, 7:43 AM
Is the motive to ensure competition for a place on the plane remains fierce as players fight it out to keep themselves within Trap's optic over the remainder of the season or did something of greater importance necessitate this specific clarification in particular?

The media do tend to get ahead of themselves and attach whatever meaning they like to Trap's ambiguous, enigmatic or simply incomprehensible pronouncements. The media were apparently certain that Shane Duffy was to feature in the second-half of the Czech game. The information age demands on-the-spot certainty, but Trap's just not that kind of guy. He had indicated nothing of the sort in relation to Duffy; he'd just said "maybe".

freewheel30
03/03/2012, 8:14 AM
Donald Rumsfeld should handle Trapattoni's next press conference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPe1OiKQuk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPe1OiKQuk)

gastric
03/03/2012, 8:17 AM
Is the motive to ensure competition for a place on the plane remains fierce as players fight it out to keep themselves within Trap's optic over the remainder of the season or did something of greater importance necessitate this specific clarification in particular?

The media do tend to get ahead of themselves and attach whatever meaning they like to Trap's ambiguous, enigmatic or simply incomprehensible pronouncements. The media were apparently certain that Shane Duffy was to feature in the second-half of the Czech game. The information age demands on-the-spot certainty, but Trap's just not that kind of guy. He had indicated nothing of the sort in relation to Duffy; he'd just said "maybe".

I think your first opinion has merit. Trap is conservative in nature and such a statement would ensure there is no complacency. For example, while I am a big fan of Stephen Hunt. his form at the moment is pretty ordinary and he has McClean looking over his shoulder. He has now to be thinking, will I make the plane?

DannyInvincible
03/03/2012, 11:02 PM
Just on the squad numbers thing the other night, Duffy was wearing number 14 whilst Coleman was wearing number 20: https://twitter.com/#!/FAIreland/status/174937627995279360

So not sure if we can read much into the numbers that were allocated to each player.

Charlie Darwin
03/03/2012, 11:12 PM
As far as Coleman is concerned, he only came on for the last 2 minutes today for Everton. With only a few minutes football in the past 2 months, it's understandable he wasn't brought on on Wednesday.