PDA

View Full Version : Joey Barton

gastric
11/01/2012, 2:08 AM
Just thought this deserved a new post as normally I welcome any possible recruits, but thank God this idiot isn't interested nor should he ever be asked to join us.

http://greenscene.me/2012/01/joey-barton-rules-out-ireland-switch/

Colbert Report
11/01/2012, 2:20 AM
I respect him for what he's said. He's English, not Irish, and won't play for us just because he's not good enough to play for England. Nothing against the Irish, he says. I agree with him.

SwanVsDalton
11/01/2012, 3:31 AM
Something Joey Barton will never do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9pYT3KCYOc

DannyInvincible
11/01/2012, 4:28 AM
I didn't hear the radio show, but, judging by the GS piece, it sounds like Barton completely misinterpreted Holland's comments. Holland appears to have been accusing referees of allowing their perception of players like Barton - he just happened to be used as an example of a player with a suspect reputation - to cloud the judgment of their actions on the pitch. If anything, I think he was defending Barton against his reputation.

Bucky-O'Hare
11/01/2012, 10:12 AM
I was listening to the show at the time and Matt Holland said nothing to provoke Barton. Barton called him a sad little man and when told Matt kept his dignity like the class act that he is! Thank God Joey Barton wants nothing to do with us.

Predator
11/01/2012, 11:03 AM
It's funny how, earlier in the year, the English media and Barton were keen to dress him up as a reformed type of character, who now reads philosophy and has mellowed somewhat.

shakermaker1982
11/01/2012, 11:14 AM
Joey Barton = everything that is wrong with modern football.

Lionel Ritchie
11/01/2012, 11:34 AM
It's funny how, earlier in the year, the English media and Barton were keen to dress him up as a reformed type of character, who now reads philosophy and has mellowed somewhat. ...and listens to Echo and the Bunnymen -therfore MUST be more generally cerebral than your average scouse thug turned pro

pineapple stu
11/01/2012, 11:46 AM
Just thought this deserved a new post as normally I welcome any possible recruits, but thank God this idiot isn't interested nor should he ever be asked to join us.

http://greenscene.me/2012/01/joey-barton-rules-out-ireland-switch/
His rant sounds like a few posters on here at times.

Ha! And like a few posters on here at times, he's taking an internet sabattical...

"Right am off, might have a little sabbatical from twitter for a while. Boring the tits off me now."

http://twitter.com/joey7barton

geysir
11/01/2012, 12:34 PM
Joey Barton = everything that is wrong with modern football.

I doubt if modern football has made the slightest influence on Joey Barton's personality.

SwanVsDalton
11/01/2012, 2:13 PM
...and listens to Echo and the Bunnymen -therfore MUST be more generally cerebral than your average scouse thug turned pro

If only Joey Barton had of gone to college and got his pseudo-intellectual period out of the way instead of inflicting it on the public.

Sullivinho
11/01/2012, 3:13 PM
Joey Barton is an odious human payload who in Twitter, has found himself the ideal delivery method and now strikes with impunity. There are no fourth officials on Twitter. Matt Holland may initially seem unlikely subject matter but there are an infinite number of possible tweets and a great number can be realised before the writer's tits begin to suffer tedium burn.

Although if lines such as "Sh*t players talking sh*t" are examples of intentional self-parody, he may actually be a genius. It's a fine line.

Stuttgart88
11/01/2012, 5:02 PM
As a player, I think he could inject some potency to our midfield.

Totally academic point though.

The guy is a total hypocrite - going balistic on Twitter about the harshness of his red card versus Norwich when he did exactly the same thing himself against Gervinho.

Speaking of hypocrisy, didn't Mancini go around like a madman waving an imaginary red card recently (or am I the madman?) and now he's giving out about Rooney doing the same?

jbyrne
11/01/2012, 5:07 PM
The guy is a total hypocrite - going balistic on Twitter about the harshness of his red card versus Norwich when he did exactly the same thing himself against Gervinho.

Speaking of hypocrisy, didn't Mancini go around like a madman waving an imaginary red card recently (or am I the madman?) and now he's giving out about Rooney doing the same?

correct on both counts. What Barton did with Gervinho was far worse than what happened to Barton himself.

Have seen Mancini wave cards on a few occasions. Why do journos not tackle managers at press conferences when they spout off like Mancini did about rooney the other day?

Stuttgart88
12/01/2012, 4:49 PM
The more I think about it, and I know it's all very "conspiracy theory"-esque, I think the EPL has no interest whatsoever in respect, discipline, sportsmanship or anything like that. Any publicity is good publicity is their thinking and the more it's on the back pages the better. They see themselves as a slighly more sophisticated version of WWE.

Olé Olé
12/01/2012, 5:01 PM
http://lfc.im/9k
T (http://lfc.im/9k)ake a listen to that. Fair play to Gerrard pulling a manager up on blatant hypocrisy.

Sigh of relief that Barton is never going to win an international cap for any country again. His point makes a bit of sense and maybe it's totally pragmatic but it's steeped in an ignorance towards his own roots and heritage which sums him us a man. Perhaps he could treat his Irish ancestors with ambivalence in the same way he should (and may already) treat his horrible half-brother.

The reform point is so laughable. Couple Barton's comments against a model pro like Matt Holland with the beating he handed out to someone in brutal fashion on the streets of Liverpool prior to this whole discussion and it's fairly clear to see the essence of the true character of Joey Barton.

The whole aura he created with his Morrissey-like hairdo and passion for literature and Echo & The Bunnymen is clearly facetious, as exemplified by how he went off on one against Holland, without having even managed to comprehend that Holland was not even airing his own opinion, merely interpreting how refs have behaved towards Barton. Talk about speaking before thinking, clearly the thinking part was too much for Joey.

BonnieShels
12/01/2012, 11:02 PM
The more I think about it, and I know it's all very "conspiracy theory"-esque, I think the EPL has no interest whatsoever in respect, discipline, sportsmanship or anything like that. Any publicity is good publicity is their thinking and the more it's on the back pages the better. They see themselves as a slighly more sophisticated version of WWE.

I started thinking of teh WWE parallel when I heard the row between Gerrard and Mancini.

Christ on a bike the EPL is a load of gash sometimes.

dantheman
13/01/2012, 2:10 PM

That's pretty much it!

Murfinator
14/01/2012, 10:37 AM
If ur English, u play for England. If ur English and sh*t, u pretend ur Irish grand parentage matters to u and play for Ireland!

He's correct isn't he? Lets not pretend that this hasn't happened.

Can I just say u could substitute the word "irish" in my nationality statements with any of the home countries. Nothing against the irish...

I'd take more offence from that.

pineapple stu
14/01/2012, 11:01 AM
Technically, he doesn't say Ireland is one of the Home Countries there.

Murfinator
14/01/2012, 11:04 AM
Not technically, but its heavily implied. I don't know if it was a subtle attempt to troll the Irish followers that were clearly given him a hard time but given who it is I doubt he's capable of doing anything subtly.

Murfinator
21/01/2012, 7:14 PM
Munster look the real deal here tonight. Been poor all campaign but turn it on when it matters. Sign of champions!!

Munster seeded 1. Leinster seeded 2. Says alot about how strong the Magners League is.............#paddypower (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23paddypower)

@linny55 (https://twitter.com/linny55) performance wise. Tonight was the real Munster IMO

Wonder if Joey is trying to get back into the Irish folks good books tonight? :p

amaccann
24/01/2012, 9:18 PM
First Englishman in the media I've seen admit the Rabo is streets ahead of the Premiership. Anyway...

See, this is why Twitter is inherently a bad idea; it encourages & publicizes spur-of-the-moment brainfarts that would have otherwise gone unnoticed, or unaired for that matter. If I posted every dumb thought that crossed my mind on a Twitter account, I'm sure I could achieve Barton's level in no time...