PDA

View Full Version : Sub saves Cobh bacon in Colman’s cracker

cobhrambler 16
24/07/2004, 11:13 AM
Cobh Ramblers 3-3 Limerick FC

Substitute Christopher O’Shea fired a late equalizer to force this Munster derby FAI Carlsberg Cup tie to a replay following an incident-packed and thoroughly entertaining encounter at St Colman’s Park on Friday night.

The game was brought forward 24 hours in order to avoid a clash with Cork City’s Intertoto Cup meeting with FC Nantes at Turners Cross tonight.

And if the crowds didn’t exactly flock to the south coast venue, those that did venture down were rewarded with a stunningly dramatic derby meeting.

Referee Jim O’Neill saw fit to produce his yellow card nine times, and Cobh striker Kieran O’Reilly was dismissed midway through the second half of a game that saw Cobh lead twice before scrambling for a late leveler.

Robert Brosnan, fresh from scoring against Manchester United last week, found the net for a 10th minute opener, but Keith Hartnett cancelled that out just before the half hour mark.

Defender Anthony Wolfe put Cobh back in front 12 minutes into the second half before two incidents in the space of two minutes seemed to shift the pendulum firmly Limerick’s way.

First Colin Patrick O’Brien, the young striker on loan from Cork, fired Limerick’s second equalizer in the 65th minute and then Cobh were reduced to 10 men following O’Reilly’s dismissal.

The Shannonsiders, who have consistently shown excellent form in Cup competitions this season despite their rock-bottom position in the league, took the lead through Frank Browne 10 minutes from the end, and appeared set to go through only for O’Shea to ensure one final twist to the drama in the 88th minute.

Cobh Ramblers: Cuthbert, Hastings, Meade, Wolfe, Murphy, Yelverton, Cummins, Warren, Tynan, Brosnan, O’Reilly.

Limerick FC: Healy O’Mahoney, Kelsten, Aherne, Finucane, Hughes (Barry 62 (Kerley 84)), Cosgrave, Conway, Hartnett, Browne, O’Brien.

Referee: J. O’Neill (Worst Ref In Ireland)(Waterford).

Is Reilly banned for Tuesday night??

When is Coker set to return for us?

Ruairi
24/07/2004, 11:17 AM
It was a cracking game, a great advertisement for not only cup football, but 1st division football as well. cobh played some good stuff in patches last night, if they played like that more often then they wouldn't find themselves in the league position they are now.

still though, great showing from both teams, even if jimmy o'neill did his best to ruin the feckin thing

cobhrambler 16
24/07/2004, 11:25 AM
Ya it was a great game! thats what cup football is all about,i hope tuesday night is as good!

we were very poor at the back tonight,and then playind with 10 men agaist 11 and the ref it was always going to be hard to get the goal back but Rash proved to be a brilliant choice to bring on.i hope he starts tuesday.

LFC in Exile
26/07/2004, 2:18 PM
In fairness I thought the Cobh defence was alright, particulalry considering you had a lad playing there that looked like he had some horrible disease. His hair was all mangy. Fair play to that man for not letting his illness prevent from playing the game. :)

cobhrambler 16
26/07/2004, 5:25 PM
Wolfe..... class

Rams-fan
26/07/2004, 5:42 PM
I thought we were lucky to get the draw. LFC played on our poor defending and scored the 2nd and 3rd in quick sucession from the same play, on Zico's side. I know we were stretched because KOR was gone for flapping at the Ref after clashing with the defender.

At least John is back on for the next game, and hopefully he might give CO'Shea a start.

I met J Coker at the game and as soon as the transfer window is opened at the Weekend he'll be a Rams player again. :) [ we need someone to score regularly and upset the defences and give teams something other than attacking our back four] :D

Queenstown Ram
26/07/2004, 5:42 PM
Limerick meet Cobh Ramblers on Tuesday evening with both sides determined to reach the last 16 of the FAI Carlsberg Cup.

Limerick v Cobh Ramblers – Pike Rovers SG (Kick off 6:30)

After an entertaining 3-3 draw at St Colman’s Park on Friday night, the sides must do it all again at Pike Rovers Sports Grounds and Limerick manager Mike Kerley remains cagey about his sides advantages.

“I would say that we would definitely be favourites if we didn’t have so many injuries. I think we can cause any one a problem at home but we’re looking at going into the game with only 11 or 12 players,” he said.

With Dutch man Jalmard Kulsten ruled out having returned home because of a family bereavement and Alan Barry doubtful, Kerley may be forced to select himself while goalkeeper Jimmy Fyffe returns to the squad after missing Friday’s game because of work commitments.

Cobh meanwhile welcome back John Andrews from suspension but will be without Kieron O’Reilly who serves a one-match ban.

“It was disappointing not to win the first game,” said manager Dave Hill. “To lead twice and not get the win is hugely disappointing but that’s what Cup games can be like.”
www.fai.ie

cobhrambler 16
26/07/2004, 10:09 PM
if we don't beat limerick there's something seriously wrong here!!