PDA

View Full Version : gary shaw has signed for longford

Pages : [1] 2

lowflyingseagul
02/01/2012, 9:56 PM
wtf is going on

Longfordian
02/01/2012, 10:05 PM
Is he decent then? I know very little about him apart from the basic facts.

Stevo Da Gull
02/01/2012, 10:05 PM
Everything is falling apart for us. Not surprising seeing as we only have about 300 people you can rely on getting in the gates on a weekly basis.

Shaw is a big loss.

Stevo Da Gull
02/01/2012, 10:08 PM
Is he decent then? I know very little about him apart from the basic facts.

Like I said in the transfer thread, I'd rate him ahead of Conor Murphy, who was apparently attracting a bit of interest last year and was our top scorer. Shaw was injured for most of the season after finishing the previous season very strongly after joining and he looked great when he got a few games under his belt again last year.

He gave us a bit of presence up front, had an eye for goal and showed good composure. He could develop into a very good player.

Longfordian
02/01/2012, 10:12 PM
I saw that post afterwards Stevo, cheers. Sounds like we've done well to get him , apparently ahead of a couple of Premier Division sides.

Stevo Da Gull
02/01/2012, 10:17 PM
No worries. Looks like you're getting a decent squad together. Any chance of giving us a couple of players on loan? :(

The Fox
02/01/2012, 10:57 PM
The depressing thing is that Longford dont get bigger crowds than us and they can afford to pay better wages to one of our brighter prospects!!
Things are looking very bleak!! - Its about 5 weeks to our Setanta cup debut and we have the look of Galway united this time last year - how can things be going so wrong??????????????

Longfordian
02/01/2012, 11:06 PM
We're not really reliant on crowds luckily enough. We have two or three very good sponsors that make a big contribution to our budget. I wouldn't think we'd be spending much more than €3k a week all the same.

peadar1987
02/01/2012, 11:13 PM
I am very worried about the coming season. Hopefully we can pull something out of the bag, but as things stand, I think we're looking at relegation.

Pendil
03/01/2012, 1:37 PM
http://youtu.be/miYLWU06mLg Gary Shaw scoring against Shamrock Rovers in the final game of the 2010 season.

http://youtu.be/7zxDmAS_w_g Scoring the first goal against Drogheda last October on his first start of the season after being out for 9 months with a broken foot.

naoise kennedy
03/01/2012, 9:09 PM
I am very worried about the coming season. Hopefully we can pull something out of the bag, but as things stand, I think we're looking at relegation.

Who have bray definately lost so far,, Dempsey to Waterford,, Shaw to Longford,, Murphy to Monaghan,, talk of prendergast going to drogheda, shields going to dundalk and jake kelly going to shams.. 3 defo gone and maybe 3 more going..

Martinho II
03/01/2012, 9:25 PM
what is the story with DOC? i heard rumours he was retiring...

peadar1987
03/01/2012, 11:24 PM
Who have bray definately lost so far,, Dempsey to Waterford,, Shaw to Longford,, Murphy to Monaghan,, talk of prendergast going to drogheda, shields going to dundalk and jake kelly going to shams.. 3 defo gone and maybe 3 more going..

Dempsey was the heart of the team, and head and shoulders above anyone else in the squad in terms of influence on a game. And without Shields, Kelly, Shaw and Murphy, we don't have much of an attacking threat. I can't see John Mulroy getting the goals we need to be honest.

naoise kennedy
04/01/2012, 1:18 PM
Dempsey was the heart of the team, and head and shoulders above anyone else in the squad in terms of influence on a game. And without Shields, Kelly, Shaw and Murphy, we don't have much of an attacking threat. I can't see John Mulroy getting the goals we need to be honest.

Totally agree Dempsey was our engine that got everything going,, shields and shaw will also be missed, but as much,, never rated kelly and murphy,, has Mulroy even signed back yet...

lowflyingseagul
04/01/2012, 1:52 PM
who's in charge of team affairs? when is the first team training session supposed to be??

peadar1987
04/01/2012, 6:40 PM
Totally agree Dempsey was our engine that got everything going,, shields and shaw will also be missed, but as much,, never rated kelly and murphy,, has Mulroy even signed back yet...

I don't know, but it's looking like the others will all be leaving, and by my reckoning he's the only attacker we'll have left who's played for the first team.

If only we had the crowds to hold onto our players. Could you imagine Skippy, Derek Foran, Mitch, Prendergast, Massey, Kavanagh, Dempsey, Shields, McCabe, Shaw and Zayed all in a Bray shirt at the same time? We'd be unstoppable!

Bry Boy
05/01/2012, 5:46 PM
It is all down to the old school policy in the club.
Bray needs to be revamped and freshened up with new blood and ideas.

The club does not know where it is going and heading slowly down the tube.
I completely agree with Peadar and its a point I have been making for years, all these top class players we once had who we have just let go for nothing !!
If we kept on to all of them we would be challenging for titles year in year out.

Bray has the potential to be a top club and also has the potential to get bigger crowds in through the gate, but that will never happen with what we have running the club at the moment.

It could be a very sad time for Bray Wanderers.

peadar1987
05/01/2012, 6:53 PM
It is all down to the old school policy in the club.
Bray needs to be revamped and freshened up with new blood and ideas.

The club does not know where it is going and heading slowly down the tube.
I completely agree with Peadar and its a point I have been making for years, all these top class players we once had who we have just let go for nothing !!
If we kept on to all of them we would be challenging for titles year in year out.

Bray has the potential to be a top club and also has the potential to get bigger crowds in through the gate, but that will never happen with what we have running the club at the moment.

It could be a very sad time for Bray Wanderers.

I think the management actually do fairly well on miniscule funds. However, it could be better. I think any League of Ireland club would benefit from a relatively inexpensive blanket marketing campaign. Posters in every shop, players visiting schools, free entry for under 16s, well publicised deals with local businesses, and the like. With increased attendances come increased budgets, and increased budgets, combined with our excellent conveyor belt of young talent, leads to success.

However, this is the League of Ireland, and the deck is firmly stacked against any club who actually have the gall to go out and try and improve themselves. The way things are at the moment, the league only rewards teams who spend above their means for 15 minutes of success before imploding. Clubs who try and do things right, like Bray, just have our players poached and our ambitions smashed by myopic clubs looking to cheat the system for a season or two.

Now I hope that I'm wrong and Bray can pull out some good players from somewhere, but all I can see for us at the moment is a relegation struggle.

notever
07/01/2012, 10:30 AM
Is it true tha Shane O' Neill has signed for Dundalk? Does anybody know? Will we have any players left?Many many questions to be answered. Club website has absolutely no info on players in or out.the fans are not being kept up to date.

Albatross
07/01/2012, 1:02 PM
This is the nearest thing I can find to up-to-date info, its from Extratime.ie

Bray Wanderers
IN:

OUT:
Gary Dempsey (http://extratime.ie/squads/players/14/1301/) (Waterford United)
Gary Shaw (http://extratime.ie/squads/players/15/1239867/) (Longford Town)
Conor Murphy (http://extratime.ie/squads/players/11/11111565/) (Monaghan United)

Captain2007
07/01/2012, 7:59 PM
This is the nearest thing I can find to up-to-date info, its from Extratime.ie

Bray Wanderers
IN:

OUT:
Gary Dempsey (http://extratime.ie/squads/players/14/1301/) (Waterford United)
Gary Shaw (http://extratime.ie/squads/players/15/1239867/) (Longford Town)
Conor Murphy (http://extratime.ie/squads/players/11/11111565/) (Monaghan United)
Chris Shields (Dundalk)
Danny O Connor (Retired)
Derek Prendagast (Drogheda)
Darren Quigley ( Released)
Jake Kelly (Shamrock Rvrs)
Graham Kelly (Released)
Dane Massey (Released)
:(:(:(

peadar1987
07/01/2012, 8:23 PM
Chris Shields (Dundalk)
Danny O Connor (Retired)
Derek Prendagast (Drogheda)
Darren Quigley ( Released)
Jake Kelly (Shamrock Rvrs)
Graham Kelly (Released)
Dane Massey (Released)
:(:(:(

Are these confirmed?

I'm not going to mince my words, it's a disaster if they are.

The Fox
07/01/2012, 8:24 PM
Why are we releasing good players? Whatever about others getting better offers from other clubs.
Why release Massey and Quigley??
We are now down 4 centre midfielders - Shields, Kelly, O Connor, Dempsey!!

I cant understand how things could be this bad - we had a small budget this year and managed to keep a good squad paid - so why can we not afford to keep even half of them?? Beggars belief really.

There are also good players available and we are missing out - Mulcahy, Pender, McMillans from Pats!

brayfan08
08/01/2012, 2:22 AM
I heard Quigley was staying because its easy for work and he does his keeper training school in the Carlisle.Not to sure who i heard it from but it wasn't that long ago.http://wanderersweekly.blogspot.com/2012/01/kelty-and-hanlon-sign-for-bray.html not to sure how reliable but two confirmed new signings although it is just more young players and it says most of last years squad so at least were not completely rebuilding.

Dillonman
08/01/2012, 3:47 PM
Lads Shields and Shane O'Neill have just been announced as signings for us, what's your opinions on them?

peadar1987
08/01/2012, 5:08 PM
Lads Shields and Shane O'Neill have just been announced as signings for us, what's your opinions on them?

Both very good players, in my opinion. O'Neill has a good touch, and will run around a lot, although unless he's bulked up over the last 6 months, he'll be pushed off the ball quite easily. He'll also probably spend half of every season on the treatment table.

Shields isn't the most skillful, or that creative, but he's good in the air, and will run his nuts off. I've always thought he was better at centre mid than up front, but with Shaw out injured, Devo seemed to like him as a sort of a target man to play alongside Kelly, Mulroy, O'Neill, or most often Murphy up front.

Sorry to see both of them go

naoise kennedy
08/01/2012, 5:31 PM
At last some better news, Quigley signs back with bray..

Captain2007
09/01/2012, 7:51 AM
Why are we releasing good players? Whatever about others getting better offers from other clubs.
Why release Massey and Quigley??
We are now down 4 centre midfielders - Shields, Kelly, O Connor, Dempsey!!

I cant understand how things could be this bad - we had a small budget this year and managed to keep a good squad paid - so why can we not afford to keep even half of them?? Beggars belief really.

There are also good players available and we are missing out - Mulcahy, Pender, McMillans from Pats!

Truth is we don't have 2 shilling's to rub together, Bray as a club are financially f*****, those player's you mention are good players but will not play for nothing.....and that's it in a nutshell basically.....we will have a team next year unfortunately it will not be a very good one.:mad:

Captain2007
09/01/2012, 7:56 AM

Dillonman, two decent signings Chris Shields has a great work ethic and is versatile and his best years are ahead of him, Shane is probably one of the quickest strikers in the league unfortunately does not read the game or score enough goals but he is still learning and has time to improve..hope they do well for ye.

ahmcd
09/01/2012, 5:53 PM
This is everything that I could find that has been confirmed so far:

IN:
Jonathan Kelly (Arklow Town)
Adam Hanlon (Arklow Town)

RESIGNED:
Marty Waters
Brain Kane
Daire Doyle
Darren Quigley

OUT:
Gary Dempsey (Waterford United)
Derek Prendergast (Drogheda United)
Conor Murphy (Monaghan United)
Gary Shaw (Longford Town)
Ryan Coombes (St. Patrick's Athletic)
Chris Shields (Dundalk)
Shane O'Neill (Dundalk)

Bray Head
10/01/2012, 11:38 AM
Has Prendergast definitely gone to Drogheda ? Nothing on their web site about it.

Seagull
10/01/2012, 4:12 PM
From Bray Wanderers Facebook page:

Bray Wanderers are pleased to announce that the following players have signed for the club for the 2012 season:

Darren Quigley
Brian Kane
Daire Doyle
Colm Tresson
Kieran Marty Waters
Shane O Connor
Dean Zambra
Graham Kelly
Stephen Brennan
David Webster
Conor Butler
John Mulroy
Pierce Sweeney

peadar1987
10/01/2012, 5:24 PM
From Bray Wanderers Facebook page:

Bray Wanderers are pleased to announce that the following players have signed for the club for the 2012 season:

Darren Quigley
Brian Kane
Daire Doyle
Colm Tresson
Kieran Marty Waters
Shane O Connor
Dean Zambra
Graham Kelly
Stephen Brennan
David Webster
Conor Butler
John Mulroy
Pierce Sweeney

Tresson as a regular starter aged 43? Because that's the way it's looking!

Captain2007
10/01/2012, 5:33 PM
Fair play to the lads above, more interested in the Jersey than the money, don't think Daz, Daire or Brennan (sicknote) have too many more miles on the clock,Pat will need a miracle to keep us in the Premier Div with this squad.
Club should make a statement on what is actually going on with the Board, very frustrating for the supporters who they are expecting to purchase season tickets.

The Fox
10/01/2012, 9:24 PM
Yes indeed - fair play to these players. They may not be all the exact players that we had hoped would stay but at least they have nailed their colours to the mast in difficult times. Hopefully more will follow suit soon. I wonder is all lost with Mitchell, Massey and Prendergast yet. Nothing has been announced about Jake Kelly either despite Rovers announcing signings in recent days. Personally I think that it would be a bad move for him as he is very unlikely to be playing regularly. Has Danny definitely retired?

Great to see Quigley resigning.
Dont be too despondant yet - if we get a few more bodies in, will UCD, Drogheda, Bohs and Monaghan be that much better than us??
Waters also looked very promising at the end of the season and am delighted that we held on to him!

naoise kennedy
10/01/2012, 9:40 PM
Great to see Quigley resigning.
Dont be too despondant yet - if we get a few more bodies in, will UCD, Drogheda, Bohs and Monaghan be that much better than us??
Waters also looked very promising at the end of the season and am delighted that we held on to him!

It would be great to get Massey,Mitchell and Danny O Connor sign back with bray,, all is not that bad, the only real loss is Dempsey and lesser Shields,, could Graham Kelly or Brennan not fill the Dempsey roll... we have to build around the players that are staying, and there is a good core of experienced players there to do this..

ahmcd
11/01/2012, 5:58 PM
could Graham Kelly or Brennan not fill the Dempsey roll...

To be honest, I don't think anyone we could afford could fill the Dempsey roll to his standard.

I thought Breannan was a Right Back?

Captain2007
11/01/2012, 6:48 PM
To be honest, I don't think anyone we could afford could fill the Dempsey roll to his standard.

I thought Breannan was a Right Back?

Playing Brennan right-back in the FAI cup semi-final v Fingal cost us dearly didn't have the pace to handle Kirby who destroyed him, definitely can play a role in Mid-Field (holding in front of centre-backs) very good reader and passer and can dictate the play, only hope he can be fit as he has been injured every season since he signed for us.
I agree with u that Dempsey will be difficult to replace, although last years starting 11 has been decimated,it is going to be a long season of suffering, that squad we have currently would struggle in the 1st Div.

naoise kennedy
11/01/2012, 10:37 PM
Kevin knight signs back with bray...left midfield or defense..

lowflyingseagul
12/01/2012, 5:34 PM
Bray Wanderers are pleased to announce the signing of two more players ahead of the 2012 season.

19 year old Adam Hanlon and 20 year old Jonathan Kielty join from Leinster Senior League side Arklow Town.

Bray-Z
12/01/2012, 6:47 PM
Bray Wanderers are pleased to announce the signing of two more players ahead of the 2012 season.

19 year old Adam Hanlon and 20 year old Jonathan Kielty join from Leinster Senior League side Arklow Town.

It's Jonathan Kelty, not Kelly, or Kielty. Not having a go at you as I realize you're quoting from the site, just wanted to clear it up!

lowflyingseagul
13/01/2012, 7:17 AM
is he any good, thats all anyone cares about :)

naoise kennedy
13/01/2012, 4:29 PM
is he any good, thats all anyone cares about :)#

It looks like Kelty is a striker and Hanlon is a winger..

Captain2007
14/01/2012, 12:25 PM
Jason Byrne training with us this morning, don't know if he is a possible signing he was on 700 euro with Dundalk, incidently Shane & Chris had an offer they could not refuse from Dundalk apparently 400 euro per wk.(2 for the price of one)
Shane O Connor will miss start of season out for 2-3 months (groin injury).
Drogheda chasing Danny..

Dillonman
14/01/2012, 1:55 PM
Jason Byrne training with us this morning, don't know if he is a possible signing he was on 700 euro with Dundalk, incidently Shane & Chris had an offer they could not refuse from Dundalk apparently 400 euro per wk.(2 for the price of one)
Shane O Connor will miss start of season out for 2-3 months (groin injury).
Drogheda chasing Danny..

Whats your source for that?

Captain2007
14/01/2012, 2:58 PM
Whats your source for that?

a good one "straight from the horse's mouth" ;);)

Dillonman
14/01/2012, 4:41 PM
a good one "straight from the horse's mouth" ;);)

I find it hard to believe, our budget is 5-6k as confirmed by our owner Matthews, if 6k, then that is to inbclude the manager and his staff, take McCaffrey, assistant Kierans and First Team Coach Whyte, their combined salaries will be betwwen 1.2k to 1.5k. That leaves 4.5k left for a squad of 18 which McCaffrey wants, if both ex Bray lads are on 400 a week thats a huge chunk out of that budget.

Captain2007
14/01/2012, 5:04 PM
I find it hard to believe, our budget is 5-6k as confirmed by our owner Matthews, if 6k, then that is to inbclude the manager and his staff, take McCaffrey, assistant Kierans and First Team Coach Whyte, their combined salaries will be betwwen 1.2k to 1.5k. That leaves 4.5k left for a squad of 18 which McCaffrey wants, if both ex Bray lads are on 400 a week thats a huge chunk out of that budget.

Dillion nice budget to have, ye could have 4 decent young players for what ye were paying Quigley/Byrne last season, surely there will be 5 or 6 players on small wages or expenses to make up squad.Club may have a cap on wages.
BTW Derek Foran an excellent signing for ye.

Dillonman
14/01/2012, 5:59 PM
Dillion nice budget to have, ye could have 4 decent young players for what ye were paying Quigley/Byrne last season, surely there will be 5 or 6 players on small wages or expenses to make up squad.Club may have a cap on wages.
BTW Derek Foran an excellent signing for ye.

Well its rumoured to have been cut further now seen as though we cant re-sign any of our main players from last year, such as Cherrie or Madden.

naoise kennedy
15/01/2012, 1:46 PM
More great news.. Mitchell and Houston sign for 2012.. its getting better..