PDA

View Full Version : The Herrick Affair

Jim Smith
26/11/2001, 8:17 AM
What do people think about the fact that Mark Herrick wasn't allowed to play yesterday? Personally I think it was small of the club to insist that he doesn't play against us and will generate a fair bit of bad feeling :(

shedboy
26/11/2001, 8:50 AM
I think they were dead right to do firstly if we are letting an excellent player, and genuine nice guy go and secondly for next to nothing then the last thing we want his him coming back to haunt us. Same with Greg O'Halloran. Shows how much of a bargain Galway know they've got to say tha they agreed to it!!!!!!!

pete
26/11/2001, 9:36 AM
Galway signed the (strange) agreement in the first place & maybe thats why they got him for next to nothing.

I actually agree with Gunther for once - Galway should have agrued to have the clause excluded when they signed Herrick not now.

Bernie
26/11/2001, 10:23 AM
I'd guess that the reason that Galway are complaining now is that it is pretty much a different Galway Utd. there now than existed when Herrick was signed.

New board and new manager were probably miffed.

It was a very strange arrangement and I don't think I've heard of anything like it outside of loan deals, but I would say 'a deals a deal'.

Gary
26/11/2001, 5:10 PM
Well if Galway were stupid enough to sign the agreement then thet deserved it. however one thing I do question is:
If Herrick wasn't good enough to play for us, why put a rider in the contract he can't play. Because lets face it, there was no way he was going to get his game for us, what with Bennet being find of the season, and gradys fine form.

Sid
26/11/2001, 6:31 PM
I think most City fans would have liked to see him play as well, it's long time since a City first teamer joined another club and came back. Woods left ages ago and half the crowd don't even know him, Hill and Cronin always seem to be injured for the trips to the X.

rebel yell
26/11/2001, 9:06 PM
Of course Cork were right not to let him play. Herrick knows all Gunther's tactics and cost us the great initiative we have over all other teams. Nobody can get inside the mind of the great man- or Gunther either.
Coming NEXT WEEK; Gunther teaches yer granny how to suck eggs.

ivan
26/11/2001, 9:21 PM
i would have liked to have seen Herrick at the cross again, because he would have deserved a goog reception cause of his service to city in d past.

Gary
26/11/2001, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by ivan
i would have liked to have seen Herrick at the cross again, because he would have deserved a goog reception cause of his service to city in d past.

Well said. pity that some of Moses and his followers couldn't see the same logic.

pete
27/11/2001, 5:04 PM
eircomleague.net (http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~jw/27-11-3.htm)

aaaahhh ;)

Citymark
28/11/2001, 8:40 AM
http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=646331

Philip Quinn in todays Irish Independent devotes his full column to Mark Herrick Affair. He slates CCFC for such a clause and questions the whole legality of it.

Interesting read!

pete
28/11/2001, 9:14 AM
Philip Quinn is a bitter "football" journalist who never has a good word for the eL.

Wouldn't lower myself to reading "Sir" Anthonys paper anyway! :(

Citymark
28/11/2001, 10:06 AM
When dying at work with a hangover, you'd read anything!!! :D

niamh
29/11/2001, 12:35 PM
I think Herrick would have got a good reaction from the majority of the crowd. It didn't leave the club under nad circumstances and he deserves somw apprecation for past services.

Éanna
29/11/2001, 2:46 PM
Originally posted by niamh
I think Herrick would have got a good reaction from the majority of the crowd. It didn't leave the club under nad circumstances and he deserves somw apprecation for past services.
That's what i'd like to think, but knowing the sizeable minority of extremely bitter people and the even larger number of sheep who hang on their every word, i don't know if that would have been the case!