PDA

View Full Version : RTE 2 2000Hrs. 27/12/11

ArdeeBhoy
27/12/2011, 6:52 PM
That is all....

Or, er, tape, copy, download...

BonnieShels
27/12/2011, 7:33 PM
Only copped when I saw this thread. Ffs. At least I got the Russia away game.

Sullivinho
27/12/2011, 7:58 PM
That was a great watch, very enjoyable. Mightn't have had the stomach for it had things turned out differently of course! I find these things useless without interviews and opinion so just as well there was plenty of that. Mackey and McDonnell are the only two writers I go out of my way to read so well done RTE for including them.

Nice attention to detail too, picking out the opposition supporter talent. I never seem to notice them the first time 'round but I'll take that as an indicator that I have my priorities in order. :D

ArdeeBhoy
27/12/2011, 8:13 PM
Yes, that was surprisingly enjoyable given its review nature.
Including from 23 years ago, which was a tad more emotional!

As for 'talent', the final summary in the different shirts proved we have some of our own...

MagicMon
27/12/2011, 9:12 PM
Is this going to be on RTE player (or *cough* less reputable sources)?

geysir
27/12/2011, 10:58 PM
It was a very well put together show, based on real life events apparently.

Good player contributions along with Mack the knife, McDonnell, Ray Houghton etc. The only blip was they didn't have footage from the friendly game against Italy - what TG4 have, they hold.
At the end, in the montage they showed the angle from the camera at the back of the goals, of Dunne's goal line block in Moscow. The change in direction of the ball from the angle of Dunne's intervention, cannot be explained by what we already know about the science of trajectories.

Lionel Ritchie
27/12/2011, 11:31 PM
The only thing I thought it could've done with was a quip or two from Manuela -particularly her entirely plausible explanation of the "Cat in the sack" proverb ...which is hilarious and is basically Trap talking out his arse. :D

Sullivinho
28/12/2011, 12:23 AM
Is this going to be on RTE player (or *cough* less reputable sources)?

On the RTE Player now. (http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1128592)

DannyInvincible
28/12/2011, 5:26 AM
Good show. Plenty of input from the players. Nice tribute to Killer in there as well. Hadn't been aware of that incident at the boxing match a few years ago where the group of players in attendance were booed by the crowd but the international cricket and rugby players in attendance cheered. Utterly ridiculous. When exactly was that?

Supreme feet
28/12/2011, 6:00 AM
Hadn't been aware of that incident at the boxing match a few years ago where the group of players in attendance were booed by the crowd but the international cricket and rugby players in attendance cheered. Utterly ridiculous. When exactly was that?

March 2007, after the Ireland-Wales game at Croke Park.

http://foot.ie/threads/56560-Ireland-team-booed-at-Dunne-fight..

tetsujin1979
28/12/2011, 2:43 PM
Just watched it online, really enjoyed it.
Time to start saving the pennies for Poland!

Yard of Pace
28/12/2011, 5:11 PM
My favourite moment was when they were showing the celebrating fans at the Armenia game and you can clearly see some oldish fella taking a swig out of a hipflask. Made me laugh anyway. :o
Good production anyway, the oul eyes were moistening by the time the closing montage started...

BonnieShels
28/12/2011, 5:18 PM
Any clip of McGrath v Italy always makes me well up.
Thoroughly enjoyed the last half hour I saw.

geysir
28/12/2011, 7:27 PM
We're all suckers for the happy ending.

Junior
29/12/2011, 12:54 PM
At the end, in the montage they showed the angle from the camera at the back of the goals, of Dunne's goal line block in Moscow. The change in direction of the ball from the angle of Dunne's intervention, cannot be explained by what we already know about the science of trajectories.

I havent had chance to watch it yet nor have I seen that incident since the game but at the time I remember thinking that 99 times out of 100 that would have ended up an OG and especially with our Richard being fond of the odd OG it was a miracle it stayed out. It was a magnificent performance from him that day. He showed his quality, hard work, tenacity, strength and many more superlatives but most of all he also had a little bit of lady luck as well which helped to round off one of the outstanding Irish performances of our time.

tetsujin1979
29/12/2011, 2:10 PM
Looking back at the Russia game, it was good to see O'Dea and Andrews getting some praise for the effort they put in. Obviously Dunne was head and shoulders above everyone else, but in any other game, their performances would have been lauded.

BonnieShels
29/12/2011, 2:15 PM
Yeah some of the tackles that Andrews made in that game were something else.
I'm definitely a fan of the guy and his attitude. I think him and McCarthy in the middle would be the ideal pairing.

Stuttgart88
29/12/2011, 7:11 PM
Back to the Dunne clearance and the angle of the deflection - there was definitely some divine intervention there. Totally freakish outcome.

I remember playing in nets in a UCD Superleague game one time and a quick snap shot went between by legs had me beaten all ends up. I was only about 2 feet off my line and it hit the inside of my right ankle and took an almost geometrically impossible path behind my left heel and wide of my left post, out for a corner. I can still recall the laughter from my teammates and the groans from the opposition. The Dunne incident reminded me of that at the time.

Stuttgart88
29/12/2011, 7:15 PM
Looking back at the Russia game, it was good to see O'Dea and Andrews getting some praise for the effort they put in. Obviously Dunne was head and shoulders above everyone else, but in any other game, their performances would have been lauded.

I don't recall anything special from Andrews but I do recall O'Dea having a really solid game, cutting out lots of crosses and low balls into the box. He read everything well and his positioning was sound.

SkStu
29/12/2011, 7:32 PM
just finished watching the documentary "Cat in the Bag" and the same thing struck me about Dunnes clearance. Bizarre, unlikely outcome but intentional i think. It seems like he tries to "back heel" the ball as it is moving towards goal while in the air (the only possible move that would prevent the ball crossing the line). Instead he back-calves it, it bounces off his ass/hamstring and Duffer clears. Quality.

tetsujin1979
29/12/2011, 9:41 PM
I don't recall anything special from Andrews but I do recall O'Dea having a really solid game, cutting out lots of crosses and low balls into the box. He read everything well and his positioning was sound.Dunne mentions Andrews in the documentary making some excellent blocks. The game was on while I was at work, so I didn't see much of it.

French Toasht
30/12/2011, 1:41 AM
Having watched the show it raised this question in my head. Was Dunne's performance, the best individual performance by a player ever in an Ireland jersey? The only other comparable performances I could think of in my lifetime was Roy Keane v Holland (September 2001) and McGrath v Italy (WC 1994), but it has to be said that on both of those other occassions, there were inspired performances all over the park, whilst in Moscow, some of our players had average and below par performances.

ArdeeBhoy
30/12/2011, 8:43 AM
McGrath in Euro'88 was inspired.

And Brady carried the whole team on his day...

geysir
30/12/2011, 11:08 AM
Having watched the show it raised this question in my head. Was Dunne's performance, the best individual performance by a player ever in an Ireland jersey? The only other comparable performances I could think of in my lifetime was Roy Keane v Holland (September 2001) and McGrath v Italy (WC 1994), but it has to be said that on both of those other occassions, there were inspired performances all over the park, whilst in Moscow, some of our players had average and below par performances.
Yeah, those 3 games stand out for best individual performances, possibly also Keane against Portugal in Dublin.

By the time Dunne clattered into that player on the sideline and sent him flying, he was untouchable. No Russian players raced over to surround the ref or even mildly inquire of the ref what his intentions were.

BonnieShels
30/12/2011, 4:11 PM
Yeah, those 3 games stand out for best individual performances, possibly also Keane against Portugal in Dublin.

Keane was magnificent that day. He was the only one who was even likely to get the goal as well.

geysir
30/12/2011, 5:34 PM
I wouldn't like to throw too much credit his way, Keane had some mettle but not real mettle :)
He was no Tony Grealish.

BonnieShels
30/12/2011, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't like to throw too much credit his way, Keane had some mettle but not real mettle :)
He was no Tony Grealish.

And he was no Eddie McGoldrick.