PDA

View Full Version : Number of members

sullanefc
22/07/2004, 1:30 PM
I just noticed a two year old thread had been replied to there on the topic of opening up this forum for premiership fans. I'm not going to give an opinion on this as it seems you've decided already not to do this.

However, I have noticed on this forum that it is mostly CCFC supporters on this forum, and I though wouldn't it be nice if more fans from other EL teams joined the forum. I discovered this forum from references on citynet and the banner at Turners Cross. So I thought it may be a good idea if foot.ie banners were placed at other EL grounds. Maybe posters from other clubs could help out in this?? And they could also go on their club forums and tell them about foot.ie and how they can discuss topics with fans from other clubs??? Just a thought.

eoinh
22/07/2004, 1:46 PM
Personally, i feel the way to entice more non city fans to the forum imo is to scrap the individual club sections. For instance there are plenty of Limerick fans here but there is no interaction with them because they are busy discussing things on their own board within Foot.ie.

JWs site had many faults but the one good thing was that it brought together fans from all different clubs into the same discussions.

Ild have an eircom league section, predictions league, national team, irish league, general football, off-topic, support/feedback and rubbish.

It would concentrate people more into less sections.

Although, i think Foot.ie is fine at the moment, the modifications might make it slightly better?

Having said that Foot is by far the best forum dealing with Irish football (and you dont get annonymous cowards posting!).

De Town
22/07/2004, 1:46 PM
we unfortunately havent got a forum of our own so thats why there is a good few town fans on here. i agree though, it would be a good idea

Macy
22/07/2004, 2:23 PM
we unfortunately havent got a forum of our own so thats why there is a good few town fans on here. i agree though, it would be a good idea
Yes we do have a forum, it's here! Even before the demise of the old guestbook on the fishal site it was the main place for proper discussion.

The problem is that a lot of clubs prefer their own forums - their own rules, own off topic sections, match reports etc. Add to that certain cork people trolling on other sites, and the Cork dominance on here, people aren't interested.

btw it doesn't help that certain clubs fans (naming no names cork people) persist in posting eL general topics in their own forums rather than in eL general. Maybe not always double threads (but often very similar topics), but certainly it then reduces the discussion on the eL general forum which is the best bet of getting more people to post here, and ultimately stay for their club forum.

dahamsta
22/07/2004, 2:28 PM
I'd love to do Foot.ie banners but since Foot.ie is a free site it doesn't generate any revenue, so there's no money set aside for it. But there's nothing stopping fans making the banners themselves, which is exactly what happened with the one at the Cross. I didn't even know it was there until months afterwards.

I think dumping everyone into a single Eircom League forum would be a bad idea, precisely because there are so many City fans here. A huge amount of their conversations take place in their own forum, can you image what General would be like if they were all shifted in there? The other clubs wouldn't be able to get a word in edgeways...

adam

dahamsta
22/07/2004, 2:31 PM
Macy, I agree with you about general topics being posted in club forums, but to be fair it only looks like it's only Cork people doing it because theirs is the biggest forum on here by far. Maybe another mod is called for, Joe's up the bloody walls these days with all sorts of stuff.

Any volunteers?

adam

Macy
22/07/2004, 2:53 PM
Obv it's more pronounced in the Cork forum because of the traffic, but get a dig in where you can :)

Pat O' Banton
22/07/2004, 5:05 PM
I'd love to do Foot.ie banners but since Foot.ie is a free site it doesn't generate any revenue, so there's no money set aside for it. But there's nothing stopping fans making the banners themselves, which is exactly what happened with the one at the Cross. I didn't even know it was there until months afterwards.

adam

Has the flag ever been brought to an Ireland game? This perhaps would be a good way of getting more people at least on the National team section.

Couldn't do a banner myself, there's a three year old half finished 'Fermanagh Massive on tour' flag sitting up above the wardrobe, heavens knows what Mrs O' Banton would say if I started a new one!

Not even putting in the application form for the job of moderator :eek: :D

liam88
22/07/2004, 6:03 PM
I applied to be a mod but was turned down ;)
Look I'm behaving-not coming on here saying that the way to crank up members would be to form a Celtic board-mabye Adam will re-consider..............

A face
23/07/2004, 1:20 AM
I dont agree with merging all the forums together .... it would be a mess and City fans would distroy all the other convos. A few people have acted the maggot and pushed people away. They should have been banned because of it. Banning one person for the sake of another 20+ seems fair to me to be honest. Maybe another mod on the Cork forum would be good, someone would would sort things discreetly and dissolve alot of the shíte that some people come out with (i hold my hands up there aswell) at times.

dahamsta
23/07/2004, 2:27 AM
One of the big advantages of vB3 is that bans are a hell of a lot easier to dole out. In the old days I had to set up dedicated usergroups for suspensions and shift people in there, and shift them back out when their suspension was up. Now I can just ban them for however many days and it's automatically lifted when the time is up.

We should still be doling out warnings to people - tbh I don't see as much of that as I'd like, I see lots of complaints, but very few warnings being dished out - but we defo be using the banning system more, banning people for a day or two for acting the maggot.

adam

max power
23/07/2004, 3:24 PM
i know for one that with our new site www.onefinlongford.com we will ask visitors to go here for our forum, i'll stick in a link, if you don't mind adam ???

liam88
23/07/2004, 10:38 PM
aye our site has a link to the CRFC board as our forum :D

dahamsta
24/07/2004, 6:51 AM
i know for one that with our new site www.onefinlongford.com (http://www.onefinlongford.com/) we will ask visitors to go here for our forum, i'll stick in a link, if you don't mind adam ???
Of course not, we always welcome links from club sites.

Also they percieve it to have a massive pro-Corcaigh bias
It has, no denying it. And the stock response to that comment should always be: It'll stay that way unless you join the site and start posting.

adam

eoinh
05/08/2004, 6:51 PM
Noticed new records for the amount of people visiting the site over the last few days. A lot of non-cork people. That could be to do with shels win in europe?