PDA

View Full Version : Shels win through

eoinh
21/07/2004, 8:36 PM
Congrats to shels. 0-0 draw.

Shels seemed like they were hanging on in the end.

brief highlights tonight apparently on network 2 news

tiktok
21/07/2004, 9:28 PM
Fair Play.
I was hoping they'd win for the sake of the UEFA coefficients, but Credit where it's due, they're through to the next round. All the best against Hadjuk Split, it'll be a tall order though.

Daxion
21/07/2004, 9:57 PM
That excellent, for EL's coefficients, well done to the Shels, but Hadjuk Split will be a tougher nut to crack.:ball:

eirebhoy
21/07/2004, 10:12 PM
That excellent, for EL's coefficients
If either Boh's or Longford get just a draw tomorrow Ireland will have exactly double the amount of coefficant points that we got last year.:) ATM we have 0.5 points this year, if both Boh's and Longford win tomorrow (which is very likely), we'll have 1 point already. I think we'll do well in the coefficants this year.

Longfordian
21/07/2004, 10:31 PM
The games are next week mate.. :)

Sheridan
21/07/2004, 11:02 PM
Good performance, should have won it with ease. I've said it before and I shall, no doubt, say it again - Wes Hoolahan is a tiny god. If only he'd been playing on the left instead of cutting in from the right, he would have notched up several assits. Shame Jason Byrne was so badly off-form. And I'll wake up screaming at the thought that Thomas Morgan has played Champions League football. Harris was a beast in the air.

Fair play to the Briogáid Dearg, nice coloured-smoke tricolour (I don't generally approve of that particular item, but I suppose it was kind of appropriate as a means of emphasising that Shels were representing Irish football.)

A face
21/07/2004, 11:21 PM
Fair play to the Briogáid Dearg, nice coloured-smoke tricolour (I don't generally approve of that particular item, but I suppose it was kind of appropriate as a means of emphasising that Shels were representing Irish football.)

Are there any pics of this around ?

Fair play to Shels ... Hope they dont sell themselves short going in to the next two games, they need to give themselves every chance. Their own supporters are kinda swaying that way already which is bad to see. Go in guns a blazin' and see what you get out of it. Dont decide before hand.

Best of luck !!

thecorner
21/07/2004, 11:30 PM
shels got a scorless home draw tonight and join city in the eircom league taking over europe

the more games they have in europe,the better for us

Slash/ED
21/07/2004, 11:43 PM
Are there any pics of this around ?

I'd like to see some myself as I was in the middle of the Drumcondra stand, they'll probably end up on www.briogaiddearg.net pretty soon. I was going to do a mini report of the game but I think Sheridan has basically summed everything up nicely. The highlights on TV3 made me realise just how many chances we created, if Byrne didn't have a rare off night we would have won easily but we're through anyway. Though the ref didn't help me heart playing all that injury time at the end, it seemed to go on forever for a match that didn't seem to warrent more than two minutes really.

I certinaly wouldn't sell our chances short in the second round, when our defence is at it's best it's very very difficult to score against us and if Fitzpatrick is back and he, Byrne, Wes Hoolahan and Ollie are on form we can score on anyone. We're definitely by no means favourites but it's not as daunting a task as facing a side like Rosenborg is. Once we believe we can get a result, and the team has shown the character it has enough times this season, there's no reason why we can't cause an upset.

It's also worth saying that the crowd were very good today, there were alot of neutruls there which was nice to see and their support was greatly appreciated so thanks to Sheridan and the rest of the non Shels fans who made the effort to go down.

gspain
22/07/2004, 7:58 AM
Well done Shels - very nervy in the end due to the missed chances but in reality Shels were much the better side.

tarzan_bray
22/07/2004, 8:33 AM
Was in the Tolka stand and just noticed especially in the first half that Shels had nobody staying out left, they were all bunching in the middle and right and there were very little crosses coming from the left from no. 7 who was a good dribbler. Wes Hoolahan was class he reminds me of Andy Reid, same build and running style. If Jason Byrne rediscovers his goal touch then they have a chance against Split as the defence is solid.

Well done Shels, will be behind you at the Split game.

Flynninio
22/07/2004, 8:35 AM
byrne missed 3 sittters last night.could he be coming unstuck?maybe sending off last wk upset him - i see shells slipping up now.congrats to them last night though hope they do well now in croatia.

pete
22/07/2004, 9:40 AM
Congrads to shels, heard last 10mins on radio & ye really hanging on & Eoin Hand not so impressed by tactics.

I think Fenlon needs to be more confident in Europe & not be so defensive.

I wouldn't fancy shels against Split but not sure if they in season or how they fixed, i;m sure Croatian football not as good as used to be plus Pats beat a team in Inter Toto a couple of years ago.

sullanefc
22/07/2004, 9:59 AM
Yeah, congrats on the "win" shels. Heard the second half on the radio. Sounded like shels should have scored but were hanging on in the last 10 mins. Whats Jason Byrnes story? Not like him to miss so many??

Slash/ED
22/07/2004, 11:25 AM
Byrnes been a bit out of form recently, I think Fitzpatrick being out has had an effect on him as he's no lone striker but that's how he's played a fair bit. I'm sure it's a case of as soon as one goes in he'll start banging them in again.

Schumi
22/07/2004, 12:01 PM
Great to see them through but I thought Shels sat back a bit too much. Byrne and Moore were left isolated up front far too much. If Cahill and Hoolahan had pushed forward a bit more and supported them it would have been much easier for Shels to hold onto the ball and avoid some of the pressure in the last few mins.

Who was #5 for Shels? He was fantastic in defence.

De Town
22/07/2004, 12:03 PM
Who was #5 for Shels? He was fantastic in defence.

id say that was Jamie Harris

DolansWaistcoat
22/07/2004, 1:50 PM
Fair dues Shels boys,hope ye can get through the 2nd stage.

When is the draw for the third qualifier gonna be made?Shels v Man U or Liverpool maybe who knows. :cool:

Shelsman
22/07/2004, 4:43 PM
[QUOTE/]Longford ....on their day they are unquestionably the best team in the league with the best supporters and stadium. Who wants northside thugs from Bohs and Shels travelling to Europe in fairness?

Best Team? -Rubbish
Best Supporters? -Open to debate

Thugs from Shels? -Ridiculous.

Shelsman
22/07/2004, 4:49 PM
Congrads to shels, heard last 10mins on radio & ye really hanging on & Eoin Hand not so impressed by tactics.

Cork City were fairly hanging on at the end of their match too! Remember? Long clearances back to NEC and then the ball pumped into the City box again. I don't know about you, but I was bricking it!
Irish clubs need to be prepared to hold possession when under pressure -and also keep one or two players forward so that if the ball is cleared that they will have a chance of winning it back.

The Sheliban
22/07/2004, 6:39 PM
Well I thought we deserved it on the night, but you always dread that they're going to whip it away from you, like the Maltesers did. Naturally they were going to push everybody up for the final 10 minutes - goalie included - but one bit of a scramble at a corner excepted, I don't think we were seriously troubled after the 3rd minute.
Ollie Cahill had one of his better games - imo he's either a feast or a famine - and Weso had you going every time he got the ball. I liked the look of Alan Moore up front too. Jamie Harris, the no 5, was a rock, as usual. Still can't believe wqe picked him up for nothing from Pats. Jason's going through a bad spell - that's what happens when you get married.

Slash/ED
22/07/2004, 8:43 PM
Someone was asking about pictures from the display last night well I've found two here taken by SteM from the Ballybough end

http://img48.exs.cx/img48/1514/DSCF0841.jpg
http://img44.exs.cx/img44/6663/DSCF0839.jpg

Unfortunatenly as you can see by the second picture the wind blew the smoke fairly quickly so it didn't last as long as it could have.