PDA

View Full Version : FIFA called in to settle FAI dispute

TiocfaidhArmani
19/12/2011, 10:47 AM
By Ciaran O'Raghallaigh

Monday December 19 2011

FIFA has been called to settle a dispute between the Irish and Scottish football associations after it emerged that the heavily indebted FAI owes the SFA €1.4m.

The sum due to the Scots, dating back to last summer's Carling Nations Cup tournament, remains unpaid and after the FAI missed last week's payment deadline set by the SFA, Hampden Park chiefs have decided to call in the world governing body.

SFA chief executive Stewart Regan has made repeated efforts to resolve the situation, but with none forthcoming, the matter has been referred to a FIFA Arbitration Panel.

Sources close to the Scottish chief said attempts to contact FAI counterpart John Delaney, in a bid to settle the matter privately, have been unsuccessful.

It is understood the FAI are waiting for payments relating to their Euro 2012 qualification to land in their bank account before settling the outstanding debt with the Scots.

Neither the FAI nor the SFA would comment on the issue when contacted last night.

The FAI are burdened with substantial debt as part of their commitment to the Aviva Stadium.

Delaney said earlier this year that the association owes €50m to the banks.

Poor sales of 10-year tickets left the FAI well short of projections, but Delaney insists the FAI will be debt-free by 2020.

Qualifying for next summer's finals was a big boost to Abbotstown chiefs, but cost-cutting measures have continued in recent months.

A substantial chunk of the €8m figure for making a major tournament will be eaten up by bonuses and expenses.

Delaney hoped to stage a money-spinning friendly with England before the competition, but the English FA have delayed a promised visit until a later date.

- Ciaran O'Raghallaigh

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fifa-called-in-to-settle-fai-dispute-2967329.html
http://foot.ie/images/misc_DISC/progress.gif

Crosby87
19/12/2011, 11:32 AM
Embarrasing as hell.

osarusan
19/12/2011, 11:59 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16246065.stm

The Football Associations of Ireland and Wales and the Irish Football Association want to reduce the Carling Nations Cup fee due to the Scottish FA.

However the FAI, IFA and FAW hope to avoid involving Fifa in resolving the dispute.

In a joint statement, the three bodies said they had "been in negotiations with the Scottish FA seeking a downward adjustment of their fee".

They added that this was "to give a more equitable share of the profits".

The joint-statement from the FAI, IFA and FAW was released in response to media reports that the SFA was considering reporting the FAI to Fifa over the non-payment of £1.2m, the fee agreed for Scotland's participation.

The statement added: "The competition...returned a profit derived from television rights, sponsorship and ticket sales.

"It is disappointing that this matter has come into the public arena while the four associations are still trying to reach agreement.

"The FAI, IFA and FAW will not be making any further comment to give proper space for those discussions to take place."

The SFA told the Press Association that "private discussions are ongoing".

Kingdom
19/12/2011, 1:04 PM
I bet the Indo loved reporting that. It's ridiculous that something like this came out into the public

TiocfaidhArmani
19/12/2011, 1:16 PM
It wouldn't have if the FAI were stalling on what was promised before the tournament.

geysir
19/12/2011, 1:29 PM
The SFA just have to realise that it's not a "downward adjustment of their fee" but rather an "equitable share of the profits" :)

The FAI along with FAW and the IFA, should be applauded for their initiative in attempting to realise a rational distribution of the available funds.

Charlie Darwin
19/12/2011, 2:10 PM
Fair play to John Delaney for screwing them over. This is how he earns his mega salary, lads!

Seriously, put £1k behind the bar and this will all be sorted out in an evening.

tricky_colour
19/12/2011, 2:44 PM
Perhaps they will have to sell some players to Scotland, Lord knows they need them :rofl:

Metrostars
19/12/2011, 2:57 PM
Can we just give them back James McCarthy to settle the debt?

Not Brazil
19/12/2011, 3:07 PM
The SFA just have to realise that it's not a "downward adjustment of their fee" but rather an "equitable share of the profits" :)

We'd better hope the SFA don't produce a document with "guaranteed sum of....." on it.:waiting:

I say "we", as I have reason to believe that the IFA are joint signatories to the "gaurantee" to the SFA.

theworm2345
19/12/2011, 3:11 PM
Watch them kick us out of the Euros as punishment.

geysir
19/12/2011, 3:22 PM
I suspect the SFA went into this tournament on the basis of FAI promises, one of which was some recompense for bowing to the request not to play Alan Hutton.

Should the IFA not have €10k deducted from their cut for every goal they conceded, as a punishment for fielding a second & third string team?

Kingdom
19/12/2011, 4:20 PM
I suspect the SFA went into this tournament on the basis of FAI promises, one of which was some recompense for bowing to the request not to play Alan Hutton.

What?

pineapple stu
19/12/2011, 5:19 PM
Interesting that the FAW and IFA are rowing behind us. I can only assume they accepted the cut fee and are now fairly annoyed at the possibility that the SFA might get the full fee.

Looks like another nail in the coffin of the tournament though.

geysir
19/12/2011, 6:29 PM
What?
Shall I repeat myself? :)
I suspect that the SFA went into this with a cast iron written contract, guaranteeing them a fortune.

They didn't mind playing us in a game but they would have wanted lumps of gold, as part of the contract, for playing the likes of NI and Wales in an empty stadium.

Uncle_Joe
19/12/2011, 6:31 PM
I heard some Scottish reporter on RTE saying that the the SFA never want to take part in the tournament. They were only convinced to do so after signing up to terms/ details by the other associations. He seemed to think that a specific amount was agreed and that the SFA have a legal agreement to receive that amount.

Delaney thought that people would buy 10 year season tickets, so I can well believe that he thought the tournament would have at least a decent turnout. Certainly enough to guarantee the SFA an set amount if thats what it took to get them on board.

dantheman
19/12/2011, 8:31 PM
Fair play to John Delaney for screwing them over

Give him enough time and he'll screw them all over!

BonnieShels
20/12/2011, 9:05 AM
I find it hard to believe that there was an implicit guarantee without any caveats given to the SFA in any participation agreement with them. As incompetence is nascent in any dealings with the FAI you would have to think twice however as cashmoney is involved I reckon that the caveats were there.

You gotta love the sense of self importance that the SFA have as well.

Not Brazil
20/12/2011, 10:17 AM
Looks like the SFA have a strong case here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/scotland/8966979/Scottish-Football-Association-refuses-to-lose-1.2m-owed-for-Carling-Nations-Cup.html

theworm2345
20/12/2011, 12:43 PM
Perhaps Delaney did it on purpose to give himself the chance to do more interviews (televised, preferably) and perhaps right a book.

BonnieShels
20/12/2011, 12:48 PM
Given the issue at hand you really have to wonder who leaked this.
The Scots seemed have a case based on a biased article in the Telegraph but the initial inference in all news outlets that the FAI alone owed the SFA the cash is just wrong.

dantheman
20/12/2011, 2:04 PM
Perhaps Delaney did it on purpose to give himself the chance to do more interviews (televised, preferably) and perhaps right a book.

I hope if you ever right a book yourself you'll get someone else to check you spelling! ;-)

Junior
20/12/2011, 2:19 PM
Lovely picture of the Scottish celebrations after scoring against us...symbolic if you will. Wait, didnt we win that game 1-0?

theworm2345
20/12/2011, 2:21 PM
I hope if you ever right a book yourself you'll get someone else to check you spelling! ;-)
7:30 in the morning, only got about 6 hours of sleep, had to leave for the gym, I wasn't too concerned with my spelling :)

geysir
21/12/2011, 10:22 AM
Lovely picture of the Scottish celebrations after scoring against us...symbolic if you will. Wait, didnt we win that game 1-0?

The caption reads 'James Morrison celebrates with Kenny Miller and Scott Brown after scoring the first goal for Scotland against the Irish in the Carling Nations Cup'

We're all the same 'Irish' to the Telegraph.

ArdeeBhoy
21/12/2011, 10:27 AM
Yes, in the case of 'The Torygraph', still probably part of 'the Empire'...

Irwin3
21/12/2011, 1:32 PM
Er, wasn't that against Wales?

DannyInvincible
21/12/2011, 2:45 PM
Indeed, Scotland wore their navy against NI and Kenny Miller scored the opening goal:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgyszw_scotland-v-northern-ireland_sport

geysir
21/12/2011, 6:32 PM
The sad life of the anorak brigade :)

It would be a hard job to even slightly loosen a Scot's grips from the promise of a fixed sum of money.
If Delaney pulls this one off, it will put him at the top of the class for a month.

Mr_Parker
22/12/2011, 11:35 PM
Given the issue at hand you really have to wonder who leaked this.
Leaked? It didn't need to be leaked. It was all predicted months ago.

osarusan
08/01/2012, 12:53 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16460333.stm

NI pulling out of the Nations Cup.

Irish FA president Jim Shaw is now reported to have said that Northern Ireland will opt out of the tournament.

"It was a one-off to start with," Shaw told the Sunday Times.

"There was never any agreement to continue. I suppose if it had gone well there is the possibility that it could have been repeated.

"I don't envisage it happening again but circumstances can change."

TrapAPony
08/01/2012, 1:11 PM

A serious dent to the FAI:rolleyes:

Scooby Doo
08/01/2012, 1:22 PM

"The inaugural tournament in Dublin suffered from low attendances with some Northern Ireland fans boycotting games because of their anger over the Republic of Ireland selecting Northern Ireland-born players."
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/7/73/JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg/618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

Predator
08/01/2012, 1:38 PM
Seems to me the writer had a pro NI stance, or else he got sucked into their disingenuous hijacking of a ticket/travel protest.

DannyInvincible
08/01/2012, 2:04 PM
Seems to me the writer had a pro NI stance, or else he got sucked into their disingenuous hijacking of a ticket/travel protest.

I wouldn't even say it was hijacked. That gives what actually did occur too much credit and suggests an element of pre-organisation. The whole thing was airbrushed after a travel/expenses/booze ban boycott was already in place. Posters on OWC openly and unashamedly spoke of stage-managing how they could then present the boycott to the media ex post facto.

I actually suspect it's the former; that they're sympathetic to the NI cause at BBC Sport NI. Remember this?: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/9044215.stm

Is that to be expected? I dunno. I know RTÉ would have a natural bias towards us, but the BBC has always been held aloft as a bastion of neutrality.

And they really seem keen to push the eligibility thing as a political issue of late. They dedicated three quarters of an hour to its discussion on the radio during the week and even political editor Mark Devenport's writing about it.

Predator
08/01/2012, 2:44 PM
I wouldn't even say it was hijacked. That gives what actually did occur too much credit and suggests an element of pre-organisation. The whole thing was airbrushed after a travel/expenses/booze ban boycott was already in place. Posters on OWC openly and unashamedly spoke of stage-managing how they could then present the boycott to the media ex post facto.Excellent point, well made. :)

I actually suspect it's the former; that they're sympathetic to the NI cause at BBC Sport NI. Remember this?: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/9044215.stm

Is that to be expected? I dunno. I know RTÉ would have a natural bias towards us, but the BBC has always been held aloft as a bastion of neutrality.

And they really seem keen to push the eligibility thing as a political issue of late. They dedicated three quarters of an hour to its discussion on the radio during the week and even political editor Mark Devenport's writing about it.Wading into conspiracy territory here (really just encouraging critical thinking) but perhaps the exposure that the settled elibility issue is receiving is a result of the ornery attitude of Gary McAllister and his cronies behind the scenes? They hope to sway hearts and minds by portraying this as being unresolved. I think they like the sound of backfire.

Charlie Darwin
08/01/2012, 2:51 PM
I wouldn't even say it was hijacked. That gives what actually did occur too much credit and suggests an element of pre-organisation. The whole thing was airbrushed after a travel/expenses/booze ban boycott was already in place. Posters on OWC openly and unashamedly spoke of stage-managing how they could then present the boycott to the media ex post facto.

And they really seem keen to push the eligibility thing as a political issue of late. They dedicated three quarters of an hour to its discussion on the radio during the week and even political editor Mark Devenport's writing about it.
Luckily FIFA don't have a lot of time for the British media :)

BonnieShels
08/01/2012, 4:24 PM

I just want to put this on record right now.

I think I'm in love with the the IFA. I have always been an advocate for "One Association/Team/League in Ireland" but I feel the nuggets of joy that emanate from Windsor Avenue every so often are easily more valuable to me and my own personal happiness than a singular unified entity has ever been. :)

ArdeeBhoy
08/01/2012, 4:31 PM
They are certainly an organisation that keeps on giving...

bennocelt
08/01/2012, 4:40 PM

Not with Devenport anyway! :eek:

dantheman
09/01/2012, 10:46 AM
They are certainly an organisation that keeps on giving...

They certainly are. They save the FAI a lot of money on training young kids.

They also save on scouting. Why go looking for players when they are being driven towards you?

Not Brazil
09/01/2012, 1:23 PM

I think the fact that almost 6,000 Northern Ireland fans attended our opening Carling Cup fixture v Scotland would indicate that the subsequent boycott of the games v the South and Wales had nothing to do with the player eligibility issue.

ArdeeBhoy
09/01/2012, 1:31 PM
So was it a 'Nigel Worthington' issue then??
;)

Not Brazil
09/01/2012, 2:17 PM
So was it a 'Nigel Worthington' issue then??
;)

Sorry AB - I don't know what you are suggesting...on this occassion, your humour is lost on me.

geysir
09/01/2012, 3:33 PM
The Belfast Telegraph reported that the NI fans association, before the tournament began, had wanted the IFA to restrict the distribution of tickets to the regular fans.
After ignoring that advice and putting the tickets on free sale, some trouble happened on the evening of their game against Scotland, the IFA were then asking the regular fans to pay the price in the latter games, for the effects of their own foolishness.

ArdeeBhoy
10/01/2012, 11:15 PM
Sorry AB - I don't know what you are suggesting...on this occassion, your humour is lost on me.
You didn't appreciate the comic value then of 'Agent Nigel' ??
:rolleyes:
It was enjoyed by many Irish soccer fans however.

And guessing by their response thereafter, acknowledged by those from the North...

Not Brazil
11/01/2012, 2:03 PM
As had been previously predicted, it is now being mooted by the Belfast Telegraph that the IFA's desperation to get this tournament off the ground (underwriting a "guarantee" to the SFA) may have resulted in the IFA losing up to £500,000 on the Carling Cup venture.

I'm sure those who boycotted the tournament on account of the "poaching" of the FAI are well chuffed - they've hit the FAI where it hurts...in the IFA's pocket.:D:D

As someone who boycotted the Northern Ireland games v the South & Wales on account of the IFA's attempts to rip Northern Ireland fans off, and treat them like dirt, I feel it serves them right.

Stuttgart88
11/01/2012, 4:53 PM
Very good, NB. Entertainingly put.

ArdeeBhoy
11/01/2012, 10:33 PM
Fair enough NB.

Maybe turkeys shouldn't 'vote for Christmas' ...