PDA

View Full Version : Rivalries

Knoert
20/07/2004, 7:15 PM
What are the main rivalries in Ireland between clubs and why?

eoinh
20/07/2004, 7:23 PM
Ild say the biggest rivalry is between Rovers and Bohs because they are the two biggest clubs in Dublin.

Cork and any dublin club is important too! Why? Because Cork is the real capital :)

Dazzy
20/07/2004, 7:24 PM
Derry and Finn Harps, The battle of the dogs and sheep :rolleyes:
Just two clubs in the NW who have local rivalery

Sheridan
20/07/2004, 7:27 PM
Hasn't been a proper one since St. Francis vs. Home Farm disappeared. Dublin City vs. Kildare County is as close as anything nowadays.

Seriously though, Bohemian FC versus Shamrock Rovers is generally considered the biggest rivarly, although Rovers fans will tell you that Rovers vs. Drumcondra or Rovers vs. Shelbourne (or Rovers vs. Waterford!) used to be bigger (probably 70% accurate, 20% revisionism and 10% bravado.)

There are plenty of rivalries throughout the league (Derry City vs. Finn Harps etc etc etc) and plenty of posters who'll demur from the above, but in the sense of a proper derby game as understood across Europe, Bohs vs. Rovers is where it's at.

eamoss
20/07/2004, 7:27 PM
Dundalk & Drogheda
Only 2days away!!

dortie
20/07/2004, 7:30 PM
Derry and Finn Harps, The battle of the dogs and sheep :rolleyes:
Just two clubs in the NW who have local rivalery

We dont like them because their all smelly farmers :p They dont like us because we have been much superior through our history. Statistics dont lie.

corkharps
20/07/2004, 9:30 PM
We dont like them because their all smelly farmers :p They dont like us because we have been much superior through our history. Statistics dont lie.

Exactly,Youre history! :D

dancinpants
20/07/2004, 9:38 PM

Harps are f##kin' ANCIENT history. Whats that? 1974 ye say? :p

Slash/ED
20/07/2004, 9:40 PM
Ild say the biggest rivalry is between Rovers and Bohs because they are the two biggest clubs in Dublin.

Bohs bigger than Shels, yeah... :D

On a serious note, Bohs V Rovers is the most heated I'd say and is the one that has the most trouble between fans during matches. Bohs v Shels is big too but only because we're the top two teams at the moment, if one is us wasn't we wouldn't have any rivalry. Shels V Pats is big aswell because of the 'issues' between the teams in the past but has calmed down a bit since Pats have dropped down a bit recently.

Dazzy
20/07/2004, 10:26 PM

I was trying to be kind :confused: got relitives in bogland :( :p

Cosmo
21/07/2004, 8:02 AM
Any neutrals on a loose end tomorrow night head up to craptown (dundalk) - then you'll see a proper derby.

Seriously it'll be well worth the trip up

drummerboy
21/07/2004, 8:20 AM
I'll be there on Sunday to watch Drumcondra against Quay Celtic. Don't think I could make Dundalk twice on the one weekend.

BTW whats the story with Quay Celtic, they have been trawling the Leinster Senior League top clubs in an effort to sign players on a one match basis (next Sunday), and then let them return to their respective clubs. Bordering on the illegal, I'd say.

dortie
21/07/2004, 8:26 AM

Whats that meant to mean.........!!

As Dazzy said, 1974 you won your only trophy with a team full of Derry men.
When you think about it we arent really rivals, because with rivals theres always a chance that one team will beat the other. :rolleyes:

the 12 th man
21/07/2004, 8:29 AM
On a more serious note,no-one's mentioned St.J.Gate & Pats! :eek:

joking aside,there was a time when this indeed was a serious event.

going back 12 years or so st james gate were actually semi pro :eek: ,they had pat byrne managing and premier computers backing them and then the ar5e fell out of it.

there was talk back then of them getting promotion to (at the time) the 1 st division.
they now languish in the nether regions of a dublin league. :(

drummerboy
21/07/2004, 9:36 AM
joking aside,there was a time when this indeed was a serious event.

going back 12 years or so st james gate were actually semi pro :eek: ,they had pat byrne managing and premier computers backing them and then the ar5e fell out of it.

there was talk back then of them getting promotion to (at the time) the 1 st division.
they now languish in the nether regions of a dublin league. :(

St James Gate were relegated from the Senior Division of the Leinster Senior League this season. However they still have great pitch, Uefa standard floodlighting and a fantastic bar.

joeSoap
21/07/2004, 10:29 AM
back in the late 70's , early eighties when I'm proud to say Limerick ruled the roost in the LOI, rivalries with Waterford were particularly bad, with several episodes of violence, assaults and threatening behaviour........there was a few incidents between the fans as well..... :D

the 12 th man
21/07/2004, 10:30 AM
Er,we'll be back...... :confused: In the short-term have to rely on rivalry with Crumlin & maybe Drumcondra...... :eek:

old fan/visitor to the iveagh grounds davros, eh?.
it is indeed a fine grounds.
many an e/l team would be delighted to have what they have there.

Knoert
21/07/2004, 12:35 PM
Hmm, interesting...

Then another question, I always hear the names of teams who were big in the past (I reckon), like St. James' Gate, Home Farm, Quay Celtic and some more, where are they now? What happened to them? Can they promote to the 2nd level? Do they still have much supporters?

Schumi
21/07/2004, 12:42 PM
The Home Farm that was in the EL up to a few years back is now Dublin City. The others are now in junior (non league) football. There's no real way to get promoted into the EL. At the end of every season the bottom two teams in the first division have to apply for re-election into the league so the idea would be that any junior club who wanted to get into the EL would apply to take their place but in practice there don't seem to be any clubs interested.

trevy
21/07/2004, 12:48 PM
Traditionally it would have been Shamrock Rovers according to older fans but not as strong now as both teams have declined.It used be Kilkenny when we were stuggling in the 90' and early 00's especially as numerous ex Waterford players played for them.I'd say Cork City now are the biggest rivals now since we came back to the Premier.

Lionel Ritchie
21/07/2004, 2:00 PM
back in the late 70's , early eighties when I'm proud to say Limerick ruled the roost in the LOI, rivalries with Waterford were particularly bad, with several episodes of violence, assaults and threatening behaviour........there was a few incidents between the fans as well..... :D

Indeed. though I also recall being rushed towards an exit of the markets field when i was about 8 (1981) as Droghedas pondlife rained bottles and masonry down at us. Some of the Waterford rivalry could be funny ( we never could come up with a good retaliation to "Who's shirts have you on?") as we were usually in equally poor shape for much of the '90's.

drummerboy
23/07/2004, 8:24 AM
Hmm, interesting...

Then another question, I always hear the names of teams who were big in the past (I reckon), like St. James' Gate, Home Farm, Quay Celtic and some more, where are they now? What happened to them? Can they promote to the 2nd level? Do they still have much supporters?

I'd imagine that if Drumcondra make it into the 3rd round of the FAI Cup they could muster up a bit of support. They play in Morton Stadium. However they would not have the financial clout to compete in the EL. Home Farm still have a team in the LSL. James Gate could possible make a return.

Rocky
23/07/2004, 2:24 PM
Sligo against Galway or Finn Harps are always heated, sometimes vicious.

Galway and Athlone is big as well.

Stevo Da Gull
23/07/2004, 11:06 PM
I would say Bray-Bohs only its not much of a rivalry if they allways hammer us.
Bray-Sligo, allways a war on the pitch and in the dug-outs. :ball:

adamcarr
23/07/2004, 11:11 PM
There is great rivalry between Waterford and Cork City. It is always a great game of football aswell even though we never win! :mad:

onceahoop
24/07/2004, 10:01 AM
Hasn't been a proper one since St. Francis vs. Home Farm disappeared. Dublin City vs. Kildare County is as close as anything nowadays.

Seriously though, Bohemian FC versus Shamrock Rovers is generally considered the biggest rivarly, although Rovers fans will tell you that Rovers vs. Drumcondra or Rovers vs. Shelbourne (or Rovers vs. Waterford!) used to be bigger (probably 70% accurate, 20% revisionism and 10% bravado.)

There are plenty of rivalries throughout the league (Derry City vs. Finn Harps etc etc etc) and plenty of posters who'll demur from the above, but in the sense of a proper derby game as understood across Europe, Bohs vs. Rovers is where it's at.
I think this had something to do with the fact that Rovers were professional (semi) and Bohs were all Amatures. It was a case of them and us. It was also Northside versus Southside although Rovers drew support from all over Dublin

BobtheDrog
24/07/2004, 9:15 PM
whilst drogs dundalk is the known one there is increasingly a big rivalry between us and longford

Longfordian
26/07/2004, 12:02 PM
Maybe on your part, we're not too bothered either way..