PDA

View Full Version : St. Pats for sale?

derm
20/07/2004, 1:49 PM
This was on CorkCityfc.ie :
"Meanwhile newspaper reports today link City with moves for St.Pats duo Colm Foley and Keith Fahy after St.Pats put their entire squad up for sale because of financial problems."

What's the story? What newspaper reports? Are Pats really in that much trouble??? :confused:

Bald Student
20/07/2004, 1:59 PM
there's a report on elevenaside.com

They're out of money apparently.

patsh
20/07/2004, 2:01 PM
Abramovich to expand his football empire and splash out a few hundred yoyos for SPA....;)

Seriously though, really bad news if this is true..........:(

"McDonnell told the Irish Sun: “Everyone is available. We have to cut our cloth and start again. The players were told that at the weekend. We have players here earning more than Glen Crowe and Jason Byrne. That’s not their fault but we simply can’t sustain that in our position.”
Is this true????:eek:

SÓC
20/07/2004, 2:33 PM
I hope they'll still sell happy meals in the club shop.

Dublin cannot support 4 big clubs paying the kind of wages they have been paying.

Dont think City need Fahy (just a poor man's Georgie) or Foley unless they are both content to sit on the bench.

Macy
20/07/2004, 2:59 PM
IMO the league can't sustain the wages, not just Dublin. They will probably be the first of many, and it wouldn't surprise me if any team found themselves in a similar position.

They are introducing a wage cap in the club, which can only be good, and hopefully other teams follow suit. Average players have clubs over a barrell - wage cap is the only way to go, although you'd have to set it for the club over all players rather than the €500 a man Pats are doing. Let the good players earn the better money they deserve, and pay the average players an average wage.

tiktok
20/07/2004, 3:05 PM
Terrible news. :(

Shelsman
20/07/2004, 4:42 PM
IMO the league can't sustain the wages, not just Dublin. They will probably be the first of many, and it wouldn't surprise me if any team found themselves in a similar position.

Yeah, like Longford and Drogheda ! Both of those clubs splashed the cash in the close season and it remains to be seen if they can support this kind of outgoing for more than a year. :rolleyes:

Slash/ED
20/07/2004, 5:33 PM
We have players here earning more than Glen Crowe and Jason Byrne.

Surley that's not true? The only one I can think of who could be on that money is Ndo, but he was signed after they knew they were in trouble, who at Pats could possibley be on that kind of money?

Éanna
20/07/2004, 5:58 PM
suppose they're gonna blame that on dolan too :rolleyes:
they've been moaning about financial difficulties for ages, and they've just let it continue up to breaking point. they should sort themselves out or face the consequences- I've no sympathy for any club that behaves like that.

MariborKev
20/07/2004, 7:17 PM
Macy

Your idea only works if all clubs participate- there will always be a club will to go and break the limit to sign a player as the manager wants him

A face
20/07/2004, 9:21 PM
They are two good players alright .... but i love the idea that City haven't spent a penny on players so far and we have a great squad (not just team), wages is the thing to watch though.

Macy
21/07/2004, 8:44 AM
Yeah, like Longford and Drogheda ! Both of those clubs splashed the cash in the close season and it remains to be seen if they can support this kind of outgoing for more than a year. :rolleyes:
It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was Longford, however to compare us to full time Drogs is a bit off the mark. We have the second smallest playing budget in the premier for starters. As a Shels fan, you should be looking closer to home for short term thinking...

It's a league problem, and yes Maribor, a wage cap would only work if all clubs did it. Audited Accounts are part of the licence, so it would be easy to enforce - just make relegation the penalty for breaking the rules if clubs go for under the counter payments. The league isn't sustainable at the moment, and paying a lot of money for players is putting the cart before the horse. Having the cap a % of turnover would force clubs to look at the marketing, facilities, raising finance off the field etc.

derm
21/07/2004, 10:38 AM
Having the cap a % of turnover would force clubs to look at the marketing, facilities, raising finance off the field etc.

I thought player wages being a percentage of turnover was part of obtaining the A licence :confused:

Roo69
21/07/2004, 10:39 AM
The league isn't sustainable at the moment, and paying a lot of money for players is putting the cart before the horse. Having the cap a % of turnover would force clubs to look at the marketing, facilities, raising finance off the field etc.

All clubs should be doing this anyway !

Macy
21/07/2004, 11:10 AM
All clubs should be doing this anyway !
They are, but it's all going straight into players wages, rather than anything else. What has any club done in terms of facilities that hasn't been needed for europe, an A licence etc. Clubs are only doing the bare minimum in terms of infrastructure development. Capping wages would free up money to invest in the non-playing side of things, as well as forcing down wages for average players.

sullanefc
21/07/2004, 12:18 PM
Introducing salary caps per player doesn't work. If your going to put a limit of €500 per man then you would have average players earning the same as top players. It should be a cap on the total salary of all the playing staff. Like say €15,000 per week. Or even better, a percentage of the turnover.

max power
21/07/2004, 12:22 PM
a percentage of turnover would be the best way to go, also the development of a good youth system would really help, as the need for transfer fees etc would be lowered as if you breed your own squad you don't need to purchase as much.

i think our board are very sensible on the amount they pay out, which is a good thing. but we need agreement with all clubs on a wage cap for players so we are all on an equal footing going forward.

pete
21/07/2004, 12:31 PM
...but we need agreement with all clubs on a wage cap for players so we are all on an equal footing going forward...

Is that legal? I know there rumours that IT companies used to have unwritten agreement (let each other know what they paying people so potential employees couldn't bluff) in Ireland but any formal agreement would surely be illegal in Ireland & the EU?

max power
21/07/2004, 12:36 PM
no its an in house agreement, its used in the lower divisions in england and a player knows the max ( no pun intended ) they can get paid so there is no point in whinging.

i am a big believer in proper marketing and promotion of a club within its target amrket base, home town, local schools etc. maybe if we all worked together ( fat chance ) instead if against one another, things might be better for us all and not the select few.

Bald Student
21/07/2004, 1:09 PM
If I remember correctly the agreement is not compulsary in the lower leagues in England but if a team chooses to break it they loose their grant from the FA.

max power
21/07/2004, 1:11 PM
no worries here then, cause we never get the grants promisied :mad:

MariborKev
21/07/2004, 4:44 PM
I know we are spending circa £45k sterling per year on our youth academy

rerun
22/07/2004, 8:09 AM
Average players have clubs over a barrell - wage cap is the only way to go, although you'd have to set it for the club over all players rather than the €500 a man Pats are doing. Let the good players earn the better money they deserve, and pay the average players an average wage.

Maybe this is a rediculous idea, but what about performance related pay ? On top of a basic wage players earn by how well they perform. A better statistical system like Opta would be really useful for clubs to reward their better players, i.e. bonuses for percentage passes completed. At a basic level, give your keeper a bonus for keeping a clean sheet (€100???), same with your back four. Bigger keeper bonus for a penalty save. Bonuses for goals (€50 per goal ???). Loss of bonuses for yellow/red cards, giving away penalties etc.
Starting to sound a bit rediculous now that I've written it down, but at least the players who perform get rewarded, better than paying a big wage to a centre forward who isn't doing the business.

pete
22/07/2004, 9:36 AM
Maybe this is a rediculous idea, but what about performance related pay ?

Pats are near bottom of table so unlikely players getting much from binuses this year.

onceahoop
25/07/2004, 9:21 AM
[QUOTE=Macy]It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was Longford, however to compare us to full time Drogs is a bit off the mark. We have the second smallest playing budget in the premier for starters. As a Shels fan, you should be looking closer to home for short term thinking...

Is it true one of the Longford players is on around a €700 a week part time contract and he accepted this after he was offered less to go full time at Shels.

pineapple stu
25/07/2004, 1:45 PM
I thought player wages being a percentage of turnover was part of obtaining the A licence :confused:

Don't think it's in there at present, but I think it will be brought in as the UEFA licencing requirements are upgraded.