PDA

View Full Version : Unfair match report?

pete
20/07/2004, 1:33 PM
Did they have some one at the game. IMO bit harsh saying City
completely outclassed?

----------------------------

Indo

Fenn goal keeps Rebel Army's hopes alive
Monday July 19th 2004

FC NANTES 3
CORK CITY 1

CORK CITY'S Intertoto Cup dream hangs by a thread after Nantes completely outclassed the Irish side in the quarter-finals first leg at Stade La Beaujore last evening.

Despite rumblings of disquiet in the Nantes camp, the French First Division side certainly showed no signs of strain, rather they exuded class in all areas of the field to score three excellent goals before a passionate 12,000-strong crowd.

Cork battled gamely but as manager Pat Dolan admitted afterwards: "We have never played against such a side that has quality written all over it, but I'm extremely proud of my players. They battled to the end and deservedly got a goal that keeps this tie alive."

Cork still have a slim chance in Turner's Cross on Saturday before what is certain to be a sell-out crowd.

Nantes exhibited a range of skills that dazzled the Irish side but thanks to some defensive and goalkeeping heroics from Alan Bennett, Dan Murray and Michael Devine, the final scoreline flattered Cork City.

Nantes midfielder Olivier Quint was in inspirational form and strikers Hassan Ahamada and Frederic Darocha were a bundle of tricks for the overworked Cork defence.

Nantes lorded possession in the first half although Neale Fenn did come close in the fifth minute, latching on well to a George O'Callaghan cross. Cork's attacks proved sporadic thereafter and with City overstretched at the back and struggling to nullify an exuberant Nantes midfield, the opener soon materialised.

Flamboyant winger Aurelien Capoue broke behind the Cork defence and his square ball was met by the in-rushing Quint. The midfielder beautifully placed it in the bottom right-hand corner.

Nantes attacked relentlessly on both flanks and should have done better with all their possession but they landed a much deserved second in the 21st minute when Jeremy Toulalan launched a long ball onto the foot of Ahamada. Showing wonderful control and skill, Ahamada brought the ball down and in one movement rounded Devine and tucked it home nonchalantly.

Nantes should have increased their lead before the break but an under-pressure City defence held on defiantly.

Nantes started the second half in similar mood and notched a third in the 64th minute when Quint squared the ball beautifully for Darocha and his strike gave Devine no chance.

Cork never dropped their heads and went in search of the away goal. It came in the 79th minute when John O'Flynn broke from midfield, and with Nantes defensively frail, he set up his striking partner Fenn who finished with real aplomb to give Cork some hope for the return leg.

Dolan said: "Nantes will come to Ireland this week as overwhelming favourites. They are a formidable side with a lot of top class players, but this tie isn't dead, the rebel army will battle on."

NANTES - Grondin, Fae (Leray 56), Darocha, Capoue, Quint, Savihaud, Toulalan, Ahamada (Glombard 69), Guillon, Drouin, Pailleres.

CORK CITY - Devine, Murphy, Bennett, Murray, Lordan, Doyle, O'Brien, O'Callaghan, Kearney, Fenn, O'Flynn.

REF - J Ferriera (Portugal)

Peadar
20/07/2004, 1:49 PM
Did they have some one at the game.

----------------------------
before a passionate 12,000-strong crowd.

Obviously the person writing this wasn't at the game.
I've seen more passion in an old folks home after the sedatives are dished out!
Unless he's talking about the passion from the 508 strong Away crowd?

NorthoftheLee
20/07/2004, 3:04 PM
think the report in the SUN was spot on..the reporter gave the ref a 4...can't think of the guys name tho...

as for outclassed, bit harsh but Nantes were the much better team out there..

the home fans chanted about 4 times..that was from the 1000 or so in the home end...the rest were carboard cut outs as far as i could tell

b_mcsweeney
20/07/2004, 6:07 PM
i though that ref was shocking, every little decision he could give went to nantes. mind you, talking to nantes fans after the game and they were claiming that flynny fouled the defender for our goal. the heat and the width of the pitch didn't suit city at all, could be different at the cross.

Éanna
20/07/2004, 6:27 PM
what game (if any) was that guy watching. the ref was typical portuguese- that entire country should be kicked out of football: whinging diving cheating underachieving prima donnas the lot of them. Ref didn't influence the outcome of the game but some of his decisions were shocking. City should have taken the lead, could have been very different and once nantes went ahead, heads dropped a bit. I thought City had difficulty adjusting to the level nantes played at, but once they got to grips with that, they improved again. nantes could have scored one or two more, but then so could we

Fair_play_boy
20/07/2004, 8:56 PM
I've seen more passion in an old folks home after the sedatives are dished out!
Unless he's talking about the passion from the 508 strong Away crowd?Well said, Peadar. Only saw the game on the box tonight. All you could hear from Nantes was that wailing thing when they got their goals. For the rest of the time the City fans were amazing.

pete
21/07/2004, 9:35 AM
think the report in the SUN was spot on..the reporter gave the ref a 4...can't think of the guys name tho...

Yeah Sun report was best i'd seen too.