PDA

View Full Version : Today Fm

gustavo
23/11/2001, 3:57 PM
Was just listening to 2day fms sports bulletin and its sickening the coverage they give to the eL . Firstly they had news of the english PFA Strike thingy then they were talkin about some crap english striker moving to another crap english club then they had news of a first divion match that was on tonight of coursse they neglected to inform us that it was an english one . and then afrer all that we were informed that meanwhile here at home theres a premier division match on tonight . really makes the blood boil to see such a myopic attiude ...

and dont even get me started on premier**** live after five......

Schumi
23/11/2001, 4:08 PM
That idiot Des Cahill took it upon himself to explain the Derry-Shels shirt situation this morning by saying it was like Sunderland and Leeds. Can people not understand red/white stripes and white jerseys without an English example. :mad: :mad:

Gerry Desmond
23/11/2001, 4:19 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
That idiot Des Cahill took it upon himself to explain the Derry-Shels shirt situation this morning by saying it was like Sunderland and Leeds. Can people not understand red/white stripes and white jerseys without an English example. :mad: :mad:

And if he had said 'Atlético and Real, for instance', would we have been offended?

I take the point about the Irish sports media still being part of the British empire, but I think we can get just that bit too touchy ourselves about English footie...well, sometimes anyway.

I think the most annoying thing about what he said was his reference to an unused set of Derry shirts when, in fact, the set used was the club's current third strip...
That was (a) reporting without the facts and (b) an unnecessary slight on the home game.

Gerry

Schumi
23/11/2001, 4:28 PM
maybe you're right but it's still annoying.

pete
24/11/2001, 10:46 AM
TodayFM are a commercial station & if they obviously have Premiership live as thats what people want to hear.

Aside from Dumpy basically banning eL from his 'Last Word' show i don't think TodayFM are any better or worse than any other radio stations. IMO some of the worst are the local dub stations.

In fact i think the eL gets better coverage on the radio than any other media in this country. OK thats not saying much but the papers are definitely the worst by far.

Macy
24/11/2001, 10:53 AM
Today FM, in fairness, has sorted out it eL coverage recently and has improved greatly.

The Last Word, I've basically given up trying to get any response. I thought they just got loads of texts and wouldn't read them out, but when I've texted in on other subjects they've been read out. The only thing I would suggest is to every Friday for the Last Word on Sport - everyone keep on sending in the texts - if they get enough of them they surely can't ignore it!

The Sunday supplement when Tim O'Connor was on (Re: RTE getting the premiership) we managed to organise a good campaign and Sam Smyth kept on refering to the eL coverage, much to O'Connor's disgust.

pete
24/11/2001, 11:00 AM
The Sunday supplement when Tim O'Connor was on (Re: RTE getting the premiership) we managed to organise a good campaign and Sam Smyth kept on refering to the eL coverage, much to O'Connor's disgust.

Yeah I heard that at the time too but seemed to be in a real condecending manner as no one on the panek gave a toss really.

:(

Éanna
24/11/2001, 11:05 AM
I think for a commercial station Today FM's coverage is very good, just as TV3's. They both provide coverage which is quite close to RTE's standard, despite not having the same access to the league (rights to matches etc) and the fact that they have to look after hat is profitable, which RTE are paid NOT to do (to some extent anyway)

Jaime
29/11/2001, 2:06 PM
Last season when we were on the way to Kilkenny for a game that eventually got called off, a Bohs fan rang up the Saturday Premiership phone in, after Arsenal had just thrashed City it was hilarious...

Presenter: And we have Dave, another depressed City fan on now, howya Dave
Dave: hey (presenter), hey Frank
Stapleton: What do you want to say, Dave, not happy with City these days I suppose...
Dave: Yeah I am not too happy and I feel sorry for all City fans, but what I want to know is why are they following Man City istead of an Irish team. They go over and they wave their Union Jacks and sing "no surrender to the IRA", and they wouldn'r be caught dead near an Irish ground. Its fu-

He was cut off, but it was class.
Stapleton had the nerve to say "eh I tink we have a bit of a nuttter on dere".
He is pathetic, and so are Today FM in general...

Wizzard
29/11/2001, 4:10 PM
Originally posted by Macy

The only thing I would suggest is to every Friday for the Last Word on Sport - everyone keep on sending in the texts - if they get enough of them they surely can't ignore it!

Isn't there an email link to the last word we can blast?

pete
29/11/2001, 4:43 PM
I know Dumpy has an hour of "sport" on between 6-7pm on friday evenings. When the big cup weekend comes up with a few really big games he'll obviously boycott it preferring to talk about virtually anything else.

I listen to Todat FM but don't like the way Dumpy boycotts irish football cos a long stanbding gripe with the FAI.

If someone could post the SMS no. for the Last Word here hows about getting any eL fans with a mobile to send text messages to the show about why they not previewing their teams game?

The Cup w/end i think would be the best time to do it......

Anyone?

James
29/11/2001, 5:12 PM
ok i'll get on it
next time he mentions it i'll post it here

James
29/11/2001, 5:20 PM
ok there stupid web feed seems to be down.
i know there main number is 087 4100102
thats not the last word though

Macy
30/11/2001, 8:46 AM
i know there main number is 087 4100102

Same number for the last word (and all Today FM shows). Actually pete, the cup weekend would be the one to do it - lots of big games, and lots of interest from people that wouldn't normally be @rsed.....

an 'rock'
30/11/2001, 8:54 AM
...and provoke a responce out of eamo or one of his many many many many many stand ins!!!!!!!!

Jaime
30/11/2001, 10:21 AM
And can we text from the web to that number???

pete
30/11/2001, 11:53 AM
Dumpy might decide to boycott the eL for his own reasons but if there enough constructive messages sent might be interesting to see what the producer does given it is a commercial station.

I don't hear the programme much but always though Matt Copper seemed like he'd would be willing to give air time to the eL.

The Cup always attracts a lot more interest from the general public & with some really big games on that Cup weekend there would probably enough intererest to warrant some airtime commercially.

Schumi
30/11/2001, 12:25 PM
I reckon Dunphy is a lost cause but one of the stand-ins or producers might see past his boycott.

Wizzard
30/11/2001, 12:45 PM
What about putting a little bit of pressure on at Dunphy's own site.

Linked here (http://interactive.iol.ie/ed/index2.cfm)

The email address for the /ed site. (mail.ed@iol.ie)

Won't do any harm, and it might help.

Snatch
03/12/2001, 4:25 PM
All the forum members should bombard the last word/today f.m. with complaints about their obsession with foreign football some night.

James
03/12/2001, 5:13 PM
and guess what they are talking about
MAn utd and their share price...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...boring

time to start texting dunphy methinks