PDA

View Full Version : Budget 2012

thebooboys
30/11/2011, 11:28 PM
:broken-heart:

Opinions on positives(what few there are) or negatives?

thebooboys
30/11/2011, 11:29 PM
Obviously all won't be revealed for a few days yet but opinions on the bits we do have?

culloty82
01/12/2011, 7:55 AM
If they do take a tenner off the dole, then there might as well have been no election, similarly with child benefit, it would seem fairer to find a way to means-test than implement an across-the-board cut.

Macy
01/12/2011, 10:30 AM
imo, you can't look at the leaks in isolation. You have to see the complete package. For example, €10 cut in child benefit might be with an increase in social welfare payments for children, or family income support.

Just as an aside, means testing might be fairer, but it's expensive to implement. Taxing it could also be expensive, never mind the problems on who gets the payment, as it would have to be taxed seperately for PAYE workers. It's a bit of minefield to be honest, and I'm not sure what the solution is. Having it as a tax credit and/or as part of general social welfare would give efficiency savings that might negate the need for cuts. It probably wouldn't be my natural position, but I'm not actually opposed for a voucher system for this particular benefit, but would worry about the precident.