PDA

View Full Version : The game, the trip, the weekend etc....

Colm
19/07/2004, 5:49 PM
Can't be reading through all the threads here now so I'll start my own one! :)

The Rebel Army invaded Nantes like we've never invaded a City before.
Molly Malone's on Saturday night was a great laugh with City fans stopping traffic as they 'sat down for the Cork City' in the middle of the street as some fans were singing songs out the first floor window of a cyber-Kebab shop across the street.
Then Sunday afternoon was fantastic with Hundereds of City fans congregating outside John McByrne's. It was really what being a City fan is all about, there was singing, chanting, dancing, drinking, shouting, sitting down/standing up/turning around/jumping up for the Cork City! There was also some crazy old stereotypical french guy who took great pleasure in joining the Rebel Army!! I loved it.... so many City fans in glorious sunshine on foreign street united together in song and all there for our European odyessy. I think the french passers-by were very bemused by our behaviour!
We then went down to the team hotel to see the lads off before getting a tram out the stadium.... again City fans were plentiful and full of noise on the tram and the two Nantes fans in our carriage didn't seem best pleased! :D

Onto the game itself, the stadium was magnificent and with 508 City fans there we were always going to create one hell of an atmosphere. It was boiling hot so many City fans went topless at the game (as you'll see intodays Echo! :) I was wearing a french jazz type hat courtesy of hotel reception! :D I think the heat really got to the players as unlike they are not used to such extreme conditions. Only a few minutes into the game and Fenn was so close, if it had gone in it would have been a totally different game. Nantes dominated for most of the half and got their two goals. Things were not looking good at HT and depression was rife among the Rebel Army. However, we still sung our hearts out and even when Nantes got their third it didn't stop us getting behind the team. Fenn scored and sent the Rebel Army wild in the stands. Fenn was definately our best player throughout but fair play to all the lads. It's going to be very difficult next week as Nantes are a top notch team but who knows what could happen....

After the game, we all headed to John McByrnes where they didn;t want us singing. Ah well, who cares if they got a bit upset! We then went to a late bar and took the place over.... two of us even ended up behind the bar with the 'lasher' barmaid at one point. Inevitabley a Eurovison sing song ensued with all the usual numbers belted out with a couch acting as the stage! Afterwards some people ended up dancing in a fountain.

All in all, a good trip a la Malmo/Copenhagen. Here's hoping we can get the right result and that our European odyessey will live on.....

Cowboy Builder
19/07/2004, 7:49 PM
Ya lazy man not writing on the threads that are already posted on here about the weekend!!!!

Well my views on the weekend are something similar to urs, Saturday night was agreat night and the sight of all the City fans sitting on the street was priceless, although some man threatening to jump from the window of the kebab shop was disturbing!!! ;)

Very disappointed in Molly Malones who got all the City fans to drink there on Saturday night with a false promise of sponsoring a match ball as well as opening early the ..................................................

Fair_play_boy
19/07/2004, 10:31 PM
Geez lads, this is brilliant reading. Give us a few more memories so that I can compensate for missing it.

razor
20/07/2004, 7:21 AM
a cyber-Kebab shop across the street.
Now theres a thought. :confused:

I was wearing a french jazz type hat courtesy of hotel reception! :D
Save the raccoon and all that. :)

James
20/07/2004, 8:24 AM
yea and you can see the 2 of us with our jazz hats all over the pics in the echo colm :)

where did me hat go anyway.. ?
lost it somewhere in that french pub during the monster eurovision singsong .. :eek:

keeno
20/07/2004, 10:40 AM
Great Weekend :)
What about the mad DERRY MAN that couldn't stop singing?
I cant that one that one City supporter can know so many eurovision songs

Cowboy Builder
20/07/2004, 2:17 PM
The Derry man who kept singing the same song over and over and over and over!!!!!!!

The Eurovision songs were a bit of a laugh but I though that 'Stand By Me' being sung in Irish was brilliant.

Sit down for the Cork City got a bit annoying but in fairness even the french people were joining in after a while.

SÓC
20/07/2004, 2:19 PM
yea and you can see the 2 of us with our jazz hats all over the pics in the echo colm :)

lost it somewhere in that french pub during the monster eurovision singsong .. :eek:
I think Neil B made off with it, saw the said hat the next day in our hotel.

Its not even October yet.

Colm
20/07/2004, 2:24 PM

I dunno. That locked french fella who fell asleep in the pub had it put on him at one point along with the ashtrays and pint that were on his head! :D

I brought my hat home with me despite promising the lovely girl at reception that I'd bring it back straight after the match! :)

Cowboy Builder
20/07/2004, 2:26 PM
Surprised you managed to even bring your shirt back with you!!!!!