PDA

View Full Version : The Dream Is Still Alive!

Peadar
19/07/2004, 12:50 PM
That away goal gave us a glimmer of hope.
We have to believe that we can win 2-0 at the cross.
The crowd and an English ref have to work in our favour.
After having such a brilliant team of officials for the home game against NEC, yesterday was just like having eircom League officials in charge.
What a nightmare! Do they even know what offside is?
We can still get something from this tie.
If Danny plays in the right for the first 10 minutes and gives Aurélien Capoue a right good kicking we'll have every chance of causing an upset.
We can play a lot better than we did yesterday.

I doubt any other club in the Intertoto Cup has "Away" support like us.
Certainly, none we've seen have home support like ours.

There's Always Hope!

Gandhi
19/07/2004, 2:57 PM
Peadar

You are completely insane, there isn't a hope! We're doomed (to be read in scottish accent) i tell you, doomed :eek:
then again if we get an early goal kick a few of them up the asre and the ref lets us away with it, and the crowd get going you never know what could happen. I believe!! which makes me completely insane too :D

If we all spend the week praying to Roy of the Rovers you never know what we might achieve :rolleyes:

Peadar
19/07/2004, 3:10 PM
Peadar

You are completely insane, there isn't a hope! We're doomed

There's always hope!
Doyler might actually get a penno this time instead of being booked for "diving." (was it diving or dissent?)

They heat was mental yesterday!
I nearly passed out.
It must have had an affect on the players too.
The ref was a pússy!
The linesman on our side was brutal.
There's so much that can go differently for us on Saturday.

tiktok
19/07/2004, 3:16 PM
It's going to be very very difficult, but I've no intention of throwing in the towel before the final whistle goes next week. We've come too far to scuttle off with our tails between our legs.

Nantes are class, fair enough...

Sounded to me like their keeper can't deal with crosses to start with. They had a lot of youngsters on who mightn't like how close the corner boys will be standing to them at throw-ins etc.

A big home crowd will lift the lads, and on a much tighter pitch we'll have a decent go at them. It's not over yet.

Gandhi
19/07/2004, 3:21 PM
now there's an example of how easy it is to get misquoted :rolleyes:
I still haven't given up, no way, like a lot of people I remember a few years ago against Gothenborg when we were so far behind after the first leg, the 2nd leg looked like it should be a foregone conclusion. After we scored though, and the crowd got behind the team, gothenborg were definitely unsettled, got a bit nervous, yer man was sent off, and I think it was the 2 goal cushion they still had that kept them from losing the plot completely.
This time round we have an away goal so if we manage to score first it's gonna be interesting...having said that it sounds like Nantes are easily the best team City have faced in a long time so it will take something special / out of the ordinary ...(insert the football cliche of your choice here!) ...all I can say is I'm looking forward to it, wouldn't miss it for anything, ticket got :D

Gandhi
19/07/2004, 3:26 PM
Nantes are class, fair enough...

Sounded to me like their keeper can't deal with crosses to start with. They had a lot of youngsters on who mightn't like how close the corner boys will be standing to them at throw-ins etc.

A big home crowd will lift the lads, and on a much tighter pitch we'll have a decent go at them. It's not over yet.

Maybe we should deliberately give away a throw as soon as possible, down beside the Corner Boys, just to give them a chance to welcome Nantes to Cork :D i.e. scare the sh11 out of them, a bit of the 'Mon Dieu! Ce n'est pas human, c'est horrible! Maman! Help!' etc etc

Ruairi
19/07/2004, 3:28 PM
...(insert the football cliche of your choice here!) ...
Well if weget that goal early doors....

Peadar
19/07/2004, 3:36 PM
This time round we have an away goal so if we manage to score first it's gonna be interesting...

That's it, now you're getting into the spirit of things.
There's always hope!

DolansWaistcoat
19/07/2004, 4:16 PM
Well it's only half time in the tie(thats my cliche) and we need to win the second half 2-0 so it's not impossible.If we create a great atmosphere,hopefully even better than the last two games then our players might be spurred on. :)

Plus Nantes will have a stinker. :p

Fair_play_boy
19/07/2004, 5:09 PM
I doubt any other club in the Intertoto Cup has "Away" support like us. Certainly, none we've seen have home support like ours.
There's Always Hope!

How many City supporters made it to Nantes?

Ruairi
19/07/2004, 5:11 PM
508 is the official figure being bandied about

Gary
19/07/2004, 6:14 PM
I wonder just how valuable Fenns goal was yesterday.

It has given us a good cahnce of an upset.

It was the differnce between a full house, and a paltry attendance a lá the Malmo game.

Financially it could have been crucial to Citys on going development.

Hopefully nantes will think its game set and match, and City once again pull off the unlikely.

eoinh
19/07/2004, 6:16 PM
they just showed all four goals :eek: on six one news.

sullanefc
19/07/2004, 9:40 PM
Yeah I saw that. I was shocked. Bet Eircom Weekly won't have highlights :rolleyes:

adamcarr
19/07/2004, 10:06 PM
Just saw the game on Chorus. Great pass by Flynn and perfect finish by Fenn. How was Doyle booker for 'diving' that was a blatant peno! :rolleyes:

thecorner
20/07/2004, 1:31 AM
Maybe we should deliberately give away a throw as soon as possible, down beside the Corner Boys, just to give them a chance to welcome Nantes to Cork :D

BRING 'EM ON :D

thecorner
20/07/2004, 1:48 AM
full vocals so lads keen yer voices till the weekend, ok corner :p

if i ever fcuking find it

Peadar
20/07/2004, 11:02 AM
I wonder just how valuable Fenns goal was yesterday.

It's the most valuable he's ever scored for the club.
I get the feeling that he's going to get an even more valuable one on Saturday after 3 minutes to give the side and the crowd a huge lift.
This is going to be the biggest day of European football the league has ever seen.
Long Live Dreams!

pete
20/07/2004, 11:15 AM
I do not expect us to progress but we definitely can.

The Nantes left winger was the main threat & he won't have as much space or as good surface (no disrespect to the cross) so hopefully he'll hav a 'mare. Nantes good going forward but city had more attacking chances than both Malmo & Nijmegen away games combined.

Ref was defintely a homer & Rennie might return the favour our way.

JOF offside in first half IMO was worst offside i've ever seen. Ball took 5-10secs to get to John but linesman only flagged as it landed at his feet on HALF WAY LINE :rolleyes:

Nantes a classy team & obviously better players but doesn't mean they'll win automatically.

3-1 will mean more bums on seats than 3-0 anyway.