PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenlon to Hibs

SkStu
24/11/2011, 7:32 PM
i think the departure of a LOI legend like Pat Fenlon deserves its own thread instead of being hid amongst the murky world of Bohs finances. From his time as a player through his managerial spells with Shels, Derry and Bohs, the man has made lots of friends and quite a few frenemies along the way and has achieved so much while doing it. The mark of a legend.

The League is losing a good man and a great manager. Cheerio Pat. All the best.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/lsquofenlon-will-be-success-at-hibsrsquo-2945539.html

YET ANOTHER Irishman leaves these shores to take up the offer of work abroad that's more secure, more rewarding and better paid.

Except this Irishman is not headed for the building sites of Toronto or the bars of Melbourne to find work, instead he's steeling himself for dugout battles at places like Ibrox and Celtic Park.

Pat Fenlon, the most successful manager in Irish football in recent times with eight major trophies on his CV, will agree terms on his exit from Bohemians and seal his move to SPL side Hibernians in the next 24 hours.

And it's likely that the 42-year-old will breathe a sigh of relief to leave behind the financial basket case of League Of Ireland football and move to a job where work conditions are a lot more stable.

Of course the SPL is hardly a model of financial stability - Hibs' city rivals Hearts have not paid their players in weeks and Rangers are drowning in debt.

HIGHS

But after spending a decade of fighting fires and being constantly plagued by financial woes in the league here, Fenlon will surely look forward to the opportunity of working at a club where the players get the wages they are owed, where he's not expected to clean out the dressing rooms and, at the request of the club's board, scour the local business community to try and secure the €1000 from a match sponsor which is needed to pay the wages.

“I think it will be a huge relief for Pat to work at a place like Hibs in a league like the SPL, and I have no doubt that he will be a big success over here,” said Dundee United defender Sean Dillon, who worked under Fenlon in the league-winning Shelbourne side of 2006.

“You look at all that Pat has achieved over the years, all he has won in the game in Ireland, yet that was always against the backdrop of financial problems, hassle over the players' wages and things like that.

“You can only imagine what he could have done if he didn't have all those worries and hassles, and he should get that chance to do his work without financial worries at Hibs.

“It's a huge club with potentially a massive support, they have great facilities and an amazing training ground. Pat will have all that he needs to make a go of it and be a success, I suppose all he has to do now is go out and prove how good he is by winning matches,” Dillon told the Evening |Herald today.

“I knew two sides of Pat from the league back home. I played against his Shels teams when I was at Longford Town and they were always a great side, and then I had a year playing under him. We won the league and I played in every game so it was a great year for me, it was just a pity the way it all finished up,” added Dillon, in reference to the fact that Shels imploded financially just weeks after that 2006 title success, forcing the break-up of the league-winning team as players like Dillon (to Dundee United), Jason Byrne (to Cardiff), Jamie Harris (to Dunfermline) and Colin Hawkins (to Coventry) all left.

In assessing Fenlon's managerial career there are many highs: back to back titles with both Shelbourne and Bohemians, a double win with Bohs, European ventures such as the Reds' win over Hajduk Split. Some lows as well, like his ill-fated stint with Derry City in 2007 and that still-shocking European defeat for Bohs against Welsh side TNS.

INJURY

But for Dillon, Fenlon's man-management has always stood out, especially the 2006 season when Fenlon managed to keep the show on the road in the face of near-collapse due to money problems in the middle of the season. “The whole thing nearly fell apart that summer, around the time we played a Lithuanian team in Europe,” recalls Dillon, currently trying to work his way back into the Dundee United side from a calf injury which has kept him out since August.

“The wages were a constant struggle. You were meant to get paid on a Friday but you'd get some on a Monday then a bit more on Tuesday, the next week you'd get paid on a Wednesday, it was crazy and I'm sure it was very frustrating for Pat.

“But he was always straight with the players, he never once lied to us and the players always appreciated that, not every manager would have backed the players the way he did.”

Dillon has been in Scotland now for five years so has an idea of what Fenlon can expect. “The media side of things here is massive, the papers here have much more coverage and more power, but Pat will deal with that just fine,” says Dillon. “Obviously Hibs are in the bottom half (9th of 12 teams) now so Pat will try and get them up the table, maybe go on a Cup run. Clubs like Hibs will look to push on in the league, try to get to Hampden Park for the Cup final and do well in Europe, and I can see Pat being more than capable of doing that.”

Hibs received permission from Bohemians last night to speak to Fenlon and talks were still ongoing this morning, but with no issue over compensation - Fenlon has a year left on his contract at Bohs but he's able to leave for free - a deal should be completed before tomorrow. Hibs may allow caretaker boss Billy Brown remain in charge for Saturday's SPL game with St Johnstone with Fenlon likely to take full control for their next game, away to Motherwell on Friday week.

dfx-
24/11/2011, 7:41 PM
He could do a Stephen Kenny and return, time will tell.

SkStu
24/11/2011, 7:45 PM
im sure he'll be back at some stage.

retailblogger
24/11/2011, 8:22 PM
One of the best managers the league has ever seen.

Longfordian
24/11/2011, 8:25 PM
He's done well getting a 3.5 year contract in fairness. Gives him some security.

dong
24/11/2011, 9:01 PM
Best of luck to him. Always thought he was a decent skin and a good manager. Wonder would he bring Ndo over there for a season?

bennocelt
24/11/2011, 9:48 PM
Hope he does well, only thing is i backed Hibs at start of season to be relegated, damn

A N Mouse
24/11/2011, 9:52 PM
Best of luck to him.

While I don't think he'll be breaking an hegemonys, success there will be judged on a more relative basis.

Given his time at, and reasons for leaving Derry, I'll reserve judgment on exactly he'll do - however, given the above, his success or otherwise should be measured on a more relative scale.

If he has the money to attract the best players from the loi then he might do well. On the other hand given all the best players go to Glasgow, his time at Derry wouldn't inspire confidence on the signing, without an open checkbook, front.

EDIT - Oh and if his hie appointment means even one person supports Hibs over that other shower, then even better, happy days :D

BonnieShels
24/11/2011, 10:44 PM
I always have had a soft spot for Hibs. Might start supporting Celtic now. :)

legendz
24/11/2011, 10:55 PM
He could do a Stephen Kenny and return, time will tell.

Pat Fenlon has managed outside of the Republic of Ireland before, that didn't work out. I wish him all the best in his new role though. Is the LoI losing a good man though? Shels. Bohs.

BonnieShels
24/11/2011, 11:35 PM
Pat Fenlon has never managed managed outside of Ireland before.

Fixed that for you.

How the hell is managing Derry gonna mean anything to him managing Hibs?

I suppose the feel of the cash and the post box colour will be familiar to him from his time on Foyleside.

A N Mouse
24/11/2011, 11:48 PM
Eh?

I'm not overly fond of the man, but find your assertion that he has managed outside the the ROI, without success, confusing, at best.

Are you refering to his stint as u23 manager? Or in Derry? (In which case your phrasing is - while not inaccurate - particularly poor.

Dan6189
25/11/2011, 12:19 AM
Wonder if he,ll get anyone from Loi over there, I can see him having crack at few of sligo and maybe Derry squad from last year. Then again he could have pick of any player in the league bar rovers with the way this ****ed up country gives out 1 year contracts

BonnieShels
25/11/2011, 1:43 AM
Wonder if he,ll get anyone from Loi over there, I can see him having crack at few of sligo and maybe Derry squad from last year. Then again he could have pick of any player in the league bar rovers with the way this ****ed up country gives out 1 year contracts

You're right. What we need is a return to the good old days of 2002-2007. Bring it on!

SkStu
25/11/2011, 1:56 AM
Pat Fenlon has managed outside of the Republic of Ireland before, that didn't work out. I wish him all the best in his new role though. Is the LoI losing a good man though? Shels. Bohs.

Fenlon went above and beyond the call of duty as a manager at both Shels and Bohs. At Shels, he paid wages out of his own pocket when Shels were falling apart. It is well known that, at Bohs, there wasnt a day that he wasnt at Dalymount digging in with things that you couldnt imagine many other managers doing like cleaning the stadium, painting and making numerous calls to secure sponsorship etc. I think this shows him to be a good person as well as an excellent manager. Things didnt work out at Derry alright but i think he learnt from it. He's earned and deserves this chance across the water.

Charlie Darwin
25/11/2011, 7:36 AM
It's very simplistic to put Fenlon's success down to the chequebook. Most of the top managers do get big budgets at the top clubs because, er, they're the best managers. Mourinho, Villas Boas, etc.

Charlie Darwin
25/11/2011, 8:09 AM
Bohs have confirmed he's signed a 2 1/2 year deal until the end of the 2013/14 season.

bullit
25/11/2011, 8:18 AM
Bohs have confirmed he's signed a 2 1/2 year deal until the end of the 2013/14 season.
Hibs too.
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20111125/new-manager-appointed_2262950_2527235

askmehoop
25/11/2011, 8:19 AM
Best of luck to him. Always thought he was a decent skin and a good manager. Wonder would he bring Ndo over there for a season?

Im sure Joe has already booked his flight and will be hanging around easter road

askmehoop
25/11/2011, 8:21 AM
Eh?

I'm not overly fond of the man, but find your assertion that he has managed outside the the ROI, without success, confusing, at best.

Are you refering to his stint as u23 manager? Or in Derry? (In which case your phrasing is - while not inaccurate - particularly poor.

i think it was his effort at a pathetic joke. Pat has always manage in the same league, this will be a big test for him. hopefully he gets the time that Kenny didnt and can make his mark. Best of luck to him

Dodge
25/11/2011, 9:21 AM
the way this ****ed up country gives out 1 year contracts
The country doesn't hand out contracts. Clubs do. Clubs who have no security at all.

Good luck to Nutsy. Top bloke

Straightstory
25/11/2011, 9:22 AM
Best of luck to him. I hope he does well, although he might struggle to win another trophy any time soon. (So I don't think the 'more rewarding' observation in the rather snarky Herald piece is necessarily true).

Charlie Darwin
25/11/2011, 9:40 AM
Well he took the fifth best team in the league this season to an FAI Cup semi-final replay. Winning a cup isn't really out of the question.

nr637
25/11/2011, 9:50 AM
Who are the front runners for the now vacant managers position at Bohs? :confused:

Or better still would anyone want the job considering the financial situation at the club.......! :question:

superfrank
25/11/2011, 9:58 AM
All the best to him. I've always held him in high regards and find the accusation of him being a "chequebook manager" highly dismissive and simplistic.

Firstly, he doesn't set the budget, it's always down to the clubs to set the budget. He just worked with it. Secondly, anyone can spend money but only a few managers could spend money and build a successful team, something he did twice in the LOI.

He's had three jobs in the LOI. His time at Derry aside, most of it has been highly successful. For me, that Bohs team of 2008 was the best LOI side I've ever seen, amazingly organised and ruthlessly efficient.

What he can achieve at Hibs is quite simply relative success, though depending how that goes, he could get one of the Old Firm or bigger clubs in England calling after him. He'll still a fairly young guy, only 42. It seems like he's been around forever.

TiocfaidhArmani
25/11/2011, 10:26 AM
Reading that article he will have the Life O' Reilly at Hibs. Fair play he gave a dig out but he won't have that worry at Hibs.

Check out the pictures of the training centre Hibs built, top class. Class pitches, saunas, gym, conference rooms to analyse things, players lounge.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/TrainingCentre

marinobohs
25/11/2011, 10:32 AM
Best of luck to Nutsey at Hibs. Extremely commited and hard working manager and, for me, the best LOI manager in 20 years (since Jim Mc Laughlin - another "cheque book" manager :rolleyes:).
Good deal for Bohs to get a large outgoing off the books (especially in close season) so win-win situation.

Apart from brief spell at Derry Pat has had an outstanding stint as manager in LOI and is well capable of competing at SPL level. never spoke to a player that did not enjoy working with Nutsey so he must be doing something right.

Charlie Darwin
25/11/2011, 10:35 AM
I wonder what players he'll look to bring with him. Brennan maybe? A couple of the younger lads like Dixon and Forrester too.

marinobohs
25/11/2011, 11:30 AM
I wonder what players he'll look to bring with him. Brennan maybe? A couple of the younger lads like Dixon and Forrester too.

Not sure CD, but suspect he will have some LOI players in mind - not just Bohs (and probobly not just young players) depends on where he feels Hibs need new blood (and of course what budget he has).

dfx-
25/11/2011, 1:55 PM
Who are the front runners for the now vacant managers position at Bohs? :confused:

Can the league pool together a fundraiser to fund Roderick's appointment..?

poster
25/11/2011, 2:10 PM
All these jobs are passing Michael by..:brb:

Charlie Darwin
25/11/2011, 2:19 PM
I can't imagine he's had much time to dwell on it considering his season isn't finished yet.

MagicMon
25/11/2011, 2:24 PM
Ryan Brennan had a trial with Hibs earlier on this year, so the club must have some sort of LOI scouting done already

askmehoop
25/11/2011, 3:56 PM
All these jobs are passing Michael by..:brb:

One job,

i think atm he's very happy with rovers . no doubt he will move to a higher profile league or possibly international management in the near or distant future. Just glad to have a manager capable of winning a league title at the helm and not one who throws the toys out of the pram when he doesn't get what he wants

TiocfaidhArmani
25/11/2011, 4:14 PM
Just glad to have a manager capable of winning a league title at the helm and not one who throws the toys out of the pram when he doesn't get what he wants

Good point, when you consider the utter heap Bohs are in the little strop he threw when they wouldn't increase the budget this year sums up how selfish the man is. They finished fifth, so why the need to increase the budget when you've no hope of anything. What would they have got? Sixth instead of fifth if they didn't? Absolute moron of a guy sometimes.

At Shels I was told we have five players who weren't making the bench costing us €250k a year between them. He wouldn't get rid of them, he wanted a big squad. I mean ffs:mad:

Financial Stew
25/11/2011, 4:28 PM
Reading that article he will have the Life O' Reilly at Hibs. Fair play he gave a dig out but he won't have that worry at Hibs.

Check out the pictures of the training centre Hibs built, top class. Class pitches, saunas, gym, conference rooms to analyse things, players lounge.

Jasus, I hope he doesn't have to clean that

MagicMon
25/11/2011, 4:42 PM

But would the FAI give them a Premier Licence???

redobit
25/11/2011, 4:43 PM
Best of luck to him. I hope he does well, although he might struggle to win another trophy any time soon. (So I don't think the 'more rewarding' observation in the rather snarky Herald piece is necessarily true).

Thats the thing about Scottish football I suppose - teams outside the top 2 arent really expected to win much of anything. If he could just improve their league position and do Ok in the cups it would probably be looked on as a success. They have a strong Irish heritage too which might help him settle in with the club and fans. Best of luck to him.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
25/11/2011, 5:47 PM

Bit nicer then the one Stokes frequents

Martinho II
26/11/2011, 9:17 PM
I was watchin the goals roundup on sky sports news and it showed a clip of pat fenlon on his way into the game today at MacDiarmuid Park with Liam O'Brien so I dont understand the secrecy with Fenlon and his asst!

Spudulika
27/11/2011, 9:49 AM
Can the league pool together a fundraiser to fund Roderick's appointment..?

The time isn't right yet to welease wodewick, poor start to the season and he'll not be worrying about tolls, Phibsboro is just down the Navan Road :-)

TiocfaidhArmani
28/11/2011, 11:34 AM
But would the FAI give them a Premier Licence???

I LOL'ed in work at that!

Bit nicer then the one Stokes frequents

Not a hope, Celtic's spent £4 million more on theirs, the building itself is a lot bigger, look how tall it is compared to the Hibs one.

Charlie Darwin
28/11/2011, 12:14 PM
I assume he meant Stokes' dad's pub in Dublin, which is named The Players Lounge. Awful grammar, but there you go.

TiocfaidhArmani
28/11/2011, 1:41 PM
I assume he meant Stokes' dad's pub in Dublin, which is named The Players Lounge. Awful grammar, but there you go.

Ah get it, was a grand pub before it was burned down. I'm told it's back January.

L.T.F.C.
28/11/2011, 5:41 PM
Well he took the fifth best team in the league this season to an FAI Cup semi-final replay. Winning a cup isn't really out of the question.
Alan Matthews took us to to the final and we were relegated. Calm down there.

Charlie Darwin
28/11/2011, 5:45 PM
Not sure how that disagrees with me? Shows you don't have to be one of the best teams to do well in the cup.