PDA

View Full Version : McAteer signs for Rovers

Roo69
19/07/2004, 10:23 AM
Tranmere Rovers have pulled off a notable coup by signing Republic of Ireland international Jason McAteer on a free transfer.
McAteer has been looking for a new club after leaving Sunderland at the end of last season and he has penned a two-year deal at Prenton Park.

A move to Leicester City fell through while Sheffield United admitted McAteer's wage demands were out of their reach.

But the 33-year-old has struck a deal with Rovers to become the club's fifth signing of the summer.

The midfielder is now hoping to use his experience to help Brian Little's side to push for promotion from League One.

"After speaking with Brian and (chairman) Lorraine (Rogers) it was an easy decision to make," McAteer told the club's official website.

"I watched Tranmere's results last season. Brian did a tremendous job when he came in and they were unlucky not to make the play-offs.

"This season they're one of the favourites and hopefully with my experience we can get something going and get promotion."

Rovers boss Little is expecting the former Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers man to be an influential figure during the new season.

Little commented: "I'm delighted to sign a player of the quality of Jason.

"I think he will be an inspiration to everyone around the dressing room and it's a bonus to get a player of his quality inside the club."

dynamo kerry
19/07/2004, 10:33 AM
that'll be the end of his international career but he'ls playing for his local club - no harm there- good luck to tham I say!

Closed Account 2
19/07/2004, 7:37 PM
Well he's the biggest signing we've (Tranmere) made for a while...

Im sure he can do a good job in Div2 (or the Oberunterliga or whatever its called this week) but its probably bye-bye international footie for him now. Still he's 33 and been to 2 world cups with Ireland and theres not many other Div2 players who can say that, he can now join our other seasoned internationals, the lads from Jamacia, Whitmore, Goodison and Hall, and Gaz Roberts who sometimes plays for the Welsh.

pete
20/07/2004, 10:58 AM
Any speculation on what Tranmere would be paying Jason per week? 5k?

Closed Account 2
20/07/2004, 2:16 PM
5k/week, id be suprised if we could afford that...

I know our highest earner in 2003/4 was Mickey "the fruit" Mellon who was on one and a half grand a week. He was got in 2001/2 by Aldo to try and stave off the drop from div one, but he was financially crippling up over the last few seasons. We also had a stupid bonus system which meant lazy players like Andy Parkinson were on a base wage of about £800, but if they played it went up by £200 if he played and £200 per goal - which is why we didnt play him much after we went down.

I'd guess Jason will be on about 1-2 grand a year, but weve probably subsidised his coaching courses and chucked in a car and/or a house as part of his "signing-on" fee.

Bowsy
20/07/2004, 2:48 PM

I know our highest earner in 2003/4 was Mickey "the fruit" Mellon who was on one and a half grand a week. He was got in 2001/2 by Aldo to try and stave off the drop from div one, but he was financially crippling up over the last few seasons. We also had a stupid bonus system which meant lazy players like Andy Parkinson were on a base wage of about £800, but if they played it went up by £200 if he played and £200 per goal - which is why we didnt play him much after we went down.

I'd guess Jason will be on about 1-2 grand a year, but weve probably subsidised his coaching courses and chucked in a car and/or a house as part of his "signing-on" fee.

How hard up are Sheffield Utd, Leicester and Sunderland then??? :confused:

dynamo kerry
20/07/2004, 3:18 PM

but it's his local club right - wasn't he born in birkenhead?

Closed Account 2
20/07/2004, 4:49 PM
How hard up are Sheffield Utd, Leicester and Sunderland then??? :confused:

I'd imagine the most financially secure is Sheff Utd as theyre not sufferring from overbudgeting like the other 2 (whove both got prem wage bills and new stadiums to pay for). I think everyone will have offered him a similar wage, below the premiership you tend not to find that many overpaid players and now a days, with the cash shortage clubs can dictate wages more than average players.

He probably came to us coz were his local club and also hes got a bigger chance of playing week in - week out. Also I think we offered him a 1st team coaching option in a couple of years, as I think we did with David Kelly a while back.

pete
21/07/2004, 9:34 AM
So it is true some eL players get paid more than even division 2 teams.

Bowsy
21/07/2004, 9:37 AM
So it is true some eL players get paid more than even division 2 teams.

As a matter of interest who is the top earner in the EL?

Roo69
21/07/2004, 9:47 AM
As a matter of interest who is the top earner in the EL?

It would have to be the likes of Glen Crowe, Kevin Hunt or Jason Byrne

eirebhoy
21/07/2004, 9:52 AM
Quote from St Pats manager, John McDonnell:

"We have players here earning more than Glen Crowe and Jason Byrne."

Bowsy
21/07/2004, 9:54 AM

Any idea of earnings? Heard St Pats citing the fact that they had players earning more than Crowe and Byrne as part of the reason they were binning being a full time professional club.

Bowsy
21/07/2004, 9:56 AM

That's the quote i heard. How much is that? Got to be a decent wage.

Roo69
21/07/2004, 10:32 AM
That's the quote i heard. How much is that? Got to be a decent wage.

I just cant see any player at St. Pats who could even ask for that type of money ? there not good enough to. If so they have one hell of an agent ! who would it be ?

Bird ? Ndo ? Adamson ? Foley ? el Kebhair ?

None of them could warrent that kind of money, and if they are being paid that, then St. Pats only have themselves to blame. Pats have been in financial trouble for a while now, when havent they tried to sell players to pay off bills, cut wages etc..... up until now ?

pete
21/07/2004, 11:14 AM

Maybe he meant that they also had part-time non-football jobs so earning more money?

Macy
21/07/2004, 11:31 AM
Maybe he meant that they also had part-time non-football jobs so earning more money?
Which is one of the problems. Any player who has a half decent job, to get them to go full time you'd have to match their two wages - day job, and football. Hence the silly money.

Bowsy
21/07/2004, 11:38 AM
Which is one of the problems. Any player who has a half decent job, to get them to go full time you'd have to match their two wages - day job, and football. Hence the silly money.

You've also got to get them to give up regular job security to take on a job that requires you to retire in your thirties.

Schumi
21/07/2004, 12:13 PM
Any idea of earnings?
I think I remember something like Crowe was on a three year deal worth 250k. That'd be about 1,600 a week.

Closed Account 2
26/07/2004, 12:55 AM
he played for us against Racing Club de Santander tonight, had a fairly good game by all accounts, hes our captain too.

John83
26/07/2004, 3:59 PM
he played for us against Racing Club de Santander tonight, had a fairly good game by all accounts, hes our captain too.I have a feeling that his game might be suited to Spain. I'm sure he can do a fairly good job there anyway. If only he'd run for a ball, or close down an attacker. Just one, even.

RedX
26/07/2004, 10:05 PM
Jason McAteers move to Leicester City broke down because of a medical problem and not a money problem..It was mentioned on one of Skys morning shows because there were eyebrows raised at the move.Leicester would easily pay a lot more money to a player than Tranmere could if they actually wanted them...