PDA

View Full Version : Naas Mayor will not deal with Black Africans

Real ale Madrid
22/11/2011, 12:40 PM
White Africans in Naas are ok - but not "Black africans" it seems.......

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1122/scullyd.html

Not sure if I have ever seen a public representative make such an explicitly racist statement. It almost beggars belief?

culloty82
22/11/2011, 1:40 PM
If I remember rightly, the Mayor of Limerick, Kevin Kiely (who was also FG) also made similar comments about immigrants, but given he also wanted the death penalty back, that gives an idea of his viewpoints.

Mr A
22/11/2011, 1:44 PM
Astonishing act of political suicide.

He could easily have made his point without going so off the wall. What the hell was he thinking?

BonnieShels
22/11/2011, 9:56 PM
Incidentally Darren Scully resigned this evening.

Clement Esebamen who was Senior Policy Adviser at the Dept of Justice, Equality & Law Reform had, on the Last Word a mad justification as to why "Black Africans" and specifically Nigerians were more agressive than everyone else, based on the idea that "there are 191m in my country and 17 in my family so you had to shout to be heard"

The madness reigns on both sides to be fair. Scully was an idiot to spout such nonsense in such a way.

God bless lil Aodhan (No one listens to me) O Riordain managing to file a complaint with the Gardaí under inctement to hatred legislation about the incident.

Macy
23/11/2011, 8:07 AM
God bless lil Aodhan (No one listens to me) O Riordain managing to file a complaint with the Gardaí under inctement to hatred legislation about the incident.
It's the right course - report it and let the cops deal with it. Better than the weasle words out of the FGer's anyway.

born2bwild
23/11/2011, 6:06 PM
It's insane that someone whose very livelihood depends on his conduct in the public eye would make such a statement or hold such a position. What a moron. Good riddance.

geysir
24/11/2011, 2:17 PM
From RTE
'This afternoon, Labour's Aodhán Ó Riordáin made a complaint under the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act in relation to the comments.'

I was reading this act and it appears to me that (ironically) ignorance can be used as a defense.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1989/en/act/pub/0019/sec0002.html#sec2
(http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1989/en/act/pub/0019/sec0002.html#sec2)
(b), it shall be a defence for the accused person—

(i) to prove that he was inside a private residence at the relevant time and had no reason to believe that the words, behaviour or material concerned would be heard or seen by a person outside the residence, or
(ii) if he is not shown to have intended to stir up hatred, to prove that he did not intend the words, behaviour or material concerned to be, and was not aware that they might be, threatening, abusive or insulting.

peadar1987
24/11/2011, 4:50 PM
I suppose, if we're being very charitable, he could have been making a cultural or societal, rather than a racial, slur. Black Africans are more likely to commit crimes than northern Europeans. However, many simple-minded people fail to realise this is just evidence of how badly ethnic minorities are let down by society as a whole.