PDA

View Full Version : Dave O'Leary Final game - Hungary 4 Ireland 2

bwagner
22/11/2011, 8:26 AM
Does anyone have the details of this game our the ireland team that played Man Utd in 1991

tetsujin1979
22/11/2011, 8:50 AM
Are you referring to the testimonial? I remember watching the game, and that we scored early on to go 1 up and that Puskas was the manager of Hungary.

There's a brief mention of it here on rsssf - http://www.rsssf.com/intldetails/1993e2.html

29/05/1993
Dublin Friendly (David O'Leary testimonial)
IRELAND XI 2 HUNGARY 4
Note: Match is a full FIFA international, but is unofficial for Ireland.

Supreme feet
22/11/2011, 9:11 AM
Team was: A.Kelly, Morris, O’Leary, Kernaghan (Babb), Staunton (Hardy), McGoldrick, Keane,(McLoughlin) Whelan, (J.Byrne), Sheedy, Quinn, D.Kelly (Cascarino).

We went 2-0 up after four minutes through Keane and Quinn, but ended up losing 4-2. All of Hungary's goals came in the second half.

http://www.magyarfutball.hu/en/merkozes/1049

bwagner
22/11/2011, 9:32 AM
thanks guys

Stuttgart88
22/11/2011, 9:46 AM
Phil Babb's "debut" I think.

DeLorean
22/11/2011, 10:07 AM
I remember the game alright. Keane's goal was a cracker from outside the box that went in off the near post. Quinn's was a tap-in I think. That Hungarian website looks really good.

Lionel Ritchie
22/11/2011, 10:22 AM
Didn't O'Leary end up going to hospital with concusion at that game? Clash of heads, genuine fear of swallowed tongue/obstructed airway.

Closed Account
22/11/2011, 10:25 AM
I remember the game alright. Keane's goal was a cracker from outside the box that went in off the near post. Quinn's was a tap-in I think. That Hungarian website looks really good.
Good memory:
zJkycD7QaL8

pineapple stu
22/11/2011, 10:31 AM
Obvious question - who's Hardy?

Edit - Phil Hardy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Hardy). Never ever heard of him.

Also, I time that Keane goal at 11 seconds. I imagine this is our fastest ever?

Stuttgart88
22/11/2011, 10:48 AM
Amazing how I can barely remember what I had for breakfast yet the words "Phil Hardy" triggered the automatic mental response "Wrexham left back".

DeLorean
22/11/2011, 10:53 AM
Does anyone have the details of this game our the ireland team that played Man Utd in 1991

Couldn't find much on the Man Utd game, only that it was a testimonial for Sir Matt Busby.

Manchester United Pre-Season 1991-92

11 August 1991

Republic of Ireland XI

H

1 – 1

Robson

Dodge
22/11/2011, 11:02 AM
Same here. Think he played with Wrexham colleague Brian Carey for the u21s

AlaskaFox
22/11/2011, 11:13 AM

Paul Parker scored an og for Utd on his debut (41st min). Schmeichel also made his debut. Bryan Robson came on to score a diving header to equalise in the 75th minute.

Ireland: Peyton, Irwin, Staunton, O'Leary, Moran, Whelan, Sheridan, Houghton, Quinn, Aldridge, Sheedy. Liam Brady came on in the second half for Ireland.
Man Utd: Schmeichel, Donaghy, Parker, Bruce, Blackmore, Pallister, Webb, Ince, McClair, Hughes, Wallace.

pineapple stu
22/11/2011, 11:27 AM
Amazing how I can barely remember what I had for breakfast yet the words "Phil Hardy" triggered the automatic mental response "Wrexham left back".
I'm usually like that - I can spot a real player in CM 01/02 fifteen years into the game and useless stuff like that - which is why I was surprised to see a name on which I drew a total blank.

Fixer82
22/11/2011, 11:36 AM
I have to dipsute this. I distinctly remember Dave O'Leary's testimonial being against Wales in Tolka Park and that was the match where after 10 minutes he was taken to hospital after a clash of heads and he was on the ground swallowing his tongue

bwagner
22/11/2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys- god its great having like minded Ireland fanatics :O)

EastTerracer
22/11/2011, 11:51 AM
I have to dipsute this. I distinctly remember Dave O'Leary's testimonial being against Wales in Tolka Park and that was the match where after 10 minutes he was taken to hospital after a clash of heads and he was on the ground swallowing his tongue

The Hungary match was O'Leary's testimonial - I still have the commemorative programme at home. As it says above though it was an Ireland XI and is not regarded by the FAI as a full international - presumably just so they could put OPEL on the shirts and keep Arnold O'Byrne happy!

The game in Tolka was a full international a couple of months earlier - the match report is here (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-sheedy-and-coyne-scupper-wales-1473814.html). This could be O'Leary's last international appearance as the testimonial doesn't count as a cap.

DeLorean
22/11/2011, 11:52 AM

I remember that match alright but O'Leary's testimonial was the Hungary game. I thought that Tolka Park match was just a regular friendly, think we scored a couple of fairly late goals to win 2-1. It would be pretty insulting to play a guys testimonial there really.

tetsujin1979
22/11/2011, 12:20 PM
Did Liam O'Brien score a cracking free kick in that Wales game to make it 1-1? Can't remember who scored the winner, mind.

DeLorean
22/11/2011, 12:51 PM
ET has a link to the report on the match. Sheedy and Coyne scored the goals. There is something in my head about O'Brien scoring a free kick in some match though, although Wikipedia cliams he has no international goals so maybe it was a testimonial or something.

Fixer82
22/11/2011, 1:29 PM
ET has a link to the report on the match. Sheedy and Coyne scored the goals. There is something in my head about O'Brien scoring a free kick in some match though, although Wikipedia cliams he has no international goals so maybe it was a testimonial or something.

he hit the post i think with a free kick in that match. played a stormer I remember. God I'm such a weirdo remembering all these little things...

Fixer82
22/11/2011, 1:30 PM
The Hungary match was O'Leary's testimonial - I still have the commemorative programme at home. As it says above though it was an Ireland XI and is not regarded by the FAI as a full international - presumably just so they could put OPEL on the shirts and keep Arnold O'Byrne happy!

I stand corrected :)

DeLorean
22/11/2011, 2:05 PM
he hit the post i think with a free kick in that match. played a stormer I remember. God I'm such a weirdo remembering all these little things...

I have a better memory for games around this time than I do for ones in more recent years. For example, I was looking through the list of Robbie Keane's international appearances and there are quite a few matches I can't remember in any detail...

10/02/1999 Paraguay (h) 2-0
26/04/2000 Greece (h) 0-1
30/04/2003 Norway (h) 1-0
31/03/2004 Czech Rep (h) 2-1
16/11/2004 Croatia (h) 1-0

Fixer82
22/11/2011, 2:40 PM
I have a better memory for games around this time than I do for ones in more recent years. For example, I was looking through the list of Robbie Keane's international appearances and there are quite a few matches I can't remember in any detail...

10/02/1999 Paraguay (h) 2-0
26/04/2000 Greece (h) 0-1
30/04/2003 Norway (h) 1-0
31/03/2004 Czech Rep (h) 2-1
16/11/2004 Croatia (h) 1-0
ha ha it's funny isn't it. i'm the same!
I remember all of those except Greece and Paraguay

pineapple stu
22/11/2011, 2:54 PM
Greece was a horrendous game; Alan Mahon took a corner into the side netting (was it his only appearance?).

Paraguay - I think Denis Irwin (pen) and David Connolly were the scorers? I think Chilavert might have missed the game for Paraguay, who were quite poor.

Edit - here's (http://www.eu-football.info/_match.php?id=11446) the teams from the 2-0 win against Paraguay; Ireland's in hilarious formal format.

tetsujin1979
22/11/2011, 3:03 PM
Greece was a horrendous game; Alan Mahon took a corner into the side netting (was it his only appearance?).According to soccerscene.ie. his only other cap was in a US Nike Cup game against South Africa: http://www.soccerscene.ie/sssenior/player.php?id=82

SwanVsDalton
22/11/2011, 3:06 PM
Edit - here's (http://www.eu-football.info/_match.php?id=11446) the teams from the 2-0 win against Paraguay; Ireland's in hilarious formal format.

Does that site print everyone's communion names?

Dodge
22/11/2011, 3:27 PM
I think Norway was Brian Kerr's first in charge at home

Went to same school as Alan Mahon. Always looked out for him. Only 2 Ireland caps but a nice little career for himself

tetsujin1979
22/11/2011, 3:57 PM
I think Norway was Brian Kerr's first in charge at home

Went to same school as Alan Mahon. Always looked out for him. Only 2 Ireland caps but a nice little career for himself
It was, and my first home game as well, Duff scored and we won 1-0

Fixer82
22/11/2011, 4:00 PM
Greece was a horrendous game; Alan Mahon took a corner into the side netting (was it his only appearance?).

Paraguay - I think Denis Irwin (pen) and David Connolly were the scorers? I think Chilavert might have missed the game for Paraguay, who were quite poor.

That's right I was actually at that game.
Chilavert missed the game. Everyone was dying to see him take a free kick but he pulled out of squad.

Drumcondra 69er
22/11/2011, 7:19 PM
I remember that match alright but O'Leary's testimonial was the Hungary game. I thought that Tolka Park match was just a regular friendly, think we scored a couple of fairly late goals to win 2-1. It would be pretty insulting to play a guys testimonial there really.

It was. Think everyone remembers the O'Leary incident as he was made captain for the day if I'm not mistaken but as others have said he was knocked out, swallowed his tounge and stretchered off very early on.

Yard of Pace
22/11/2011, 7:32 PM
Paul Parker scored an og for Utd on his debut (41st min). Schmeichel also made his debut. Bryan Robson came on to score a diving header to equalise in the 75th minute.

Ireland: Peyton, Irwin, Staunton, O'Leary, Moran, Whelan, Sheridan, Houghton, Quinn, Aldridge, Sheedy. Liam Brady came on in the second half for Ireland.
Man Utd: Schmeichel, Donaghy, Parker, Bruce, Blackmore, Pallister, Webb, Ince, McClair, Hughes, Wallace.

I remember going to a game against Man United. Was it supposed to have been Dion Dublin's debut or something, that game in 1991? That's all I remember about it...

geysir
22/11/2011, 7:34 PM
It was. Think everyone remembers the O'Leary incident as he was made captain for the day if I'm not mistaken but as others have said he was knocked out, swallowed his tounge and stretchered off very early on.
His last appearance indeed defines the essence of black humour.

DeNiro
22/11/2011, 8:54 PM
I remember going to a game against Man United. Was it supposed to have been Dion Dublin's debut or something, that game in 1991? That's all I remember about it...

No that one was in 1992. The Penneys Challenge it was called. Dave Barry played a stormer in midfield that day. Martin Russell was on the left wing. Remember standing on South Terrace with a few fans in Liverpool jerseys! Liam Daish made a great block from Kanchelskis as well!

BonnieShels
22/11/2011, 10:21 PM
God how I remember this game. Watching it in the parlour of my Nanny's house in Ballyfermot. Good times. reading through the other memories of the game it all came flooding back.

Fair dues lads. Remember the Utd game as well as I knew a few mates who were at it and I was incredibly jealous of them.