PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2012 Finals - General Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Wolfie
16/11/2011, 12:53 PM
A thread to facilitate general discussion around our now official odyssey to Euro 2012.

Seedings confirmed:

Seedings for Euro 2012

Pot 1: Spain, Netherlands, Poland, Ukraine.
Pot 2: Germany, Italy, England, Russia.
Pot 3: Croatia, Greece, Portugal, Sweden.
Pot 4: Denmark, France, Czech Republic, Republic of Ireland

The permutations of the above all very interesting.

Poland, Italy and Greece anyone???

Or how about Spain, Germany and Portugal :sweat:

nigel-harps1954
16/11/2011, 1:17 PM
I'd take Spain over Holland anyday. Holland would tear us apart, Northern Ireland and Scotland have recently frustrated Spain so can we.

For me though, I'd to go for Poland, Italy and Sweden. I think there would be every chance of topping that group.

elroy
16/11/2011, 1:20 PM
I have just thing to say

WOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Ok sorry. That is all.

Duggie
16/11/2011, 1:41 PM
i think the best group for us would be this, we would have a good chance of getting into the top two. its going to be tough if we dont get a decent draw.

poland/ukraine
italy (eng as 2nd choice)
greece
ireland.

Mr A
16/11/2011, 1:55 PM
Spain, Italy, Greece, Ireland.

A potential "Group of Debt" there.

Tipp Townie
16/11/2011, 2:01 PM
I have just thing to say

WOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Ok sorry. That is all.

Calm down. Its not as if we've actually qualified for anything yet.

Hang on...

Tipp Townie
16/11/2011, 2:09 PM
I'd take Spain over Holland anyday. Holland would tear us apart, Northern Ireland and Scotland have recently frustrated Spain so can we.

For me though, I'd to go for Poland, Italy and Sweden. I think there would be every chance of topping that group.

Its us in a major finals. Holland have to be involved somewhere in the story. Its like, the law or something.

Poland/Italy/Sweden sounds like a decent group to me. A good mix of glamour and grind.
I wouldnt normally want to get the hosts, but its either that or Spain/Holland. Poland do seem to be a good option.
Italy we've got history with and i'd fancy us to really raise our game. Would be a real occasion. Contrast that with all the hype, expectation and tension that would come from a game v england.
Never sure what to make of Greece, something tells me we'd struggle to break them down? Sweden are also a bit so-so, solid but unspectacular? So i favour them, just.

Tipp Townie
16/11/2011, 2:16 PM
Sweden are also a bit so-so, solid but unspectacular? So i favour them, just.

.....thereby completely contradicting myself on another thread, where i suggested that i'd rather avoid Sweden because of the WC14 qualifiers on the horizon.

You'll forgive me if my brain isn't working that well today.

dantheman
16/11/2011, 3:17 PM

If I had a euro for every time I've heard the Group of Debt gag, I'd have enough money to bail out all the PIGS, clear the US federal debt, feed the starving in Africa and subsidise the North for a year.

And pay my TV license (lol, not really, lol)

punkrocket
16/11/2011, 3:19 PM
If the teams were sorted into cultural/gegraphical type groups we could have

1 Spain,Italy,Portugal & France
2 Holland,Germany, Sweden & Denmark
3 Ukraine, Russia, Croatia & Czech Rep.
Leaving us with Poland England & Greece which I'd be pleased enough with.

Kingdom
16/11/2011, 9:19 PM
I've been all for getting Poland from the first seeds, until I remembered that during their atrocious Wc2010 campaign they tore us a new one in Croker, absolutely obliterating us down the wings. That was the night the SS formed. I'd still fancy them over the others (well maybe not Ukraine, but I think we'll have a higher number of fans if we're in Poland).

theworm2345
16/11/2011, 9:40 PM
Is anyone else as confused as I am now that we've qualified? After every campaign and two matches a month, I've gotten used to be disappointed and just getting mentally ready for friendlies in February and the next campaign and Qualifiers next fall. Now that thats not the case its like my brain I doesn't know what to think. :confused: My memories of 2002 are pretty fleeting (except for the end of the Spain match which is indelibly ingrained) so I can't tell if this is normal. All of the sudden it seems so long ago.

sheao
16/11/2011, 9:49 PM
Think we have the ability to fustrate teams especially if we defend well .
Need to be a bit more of a threat going forward i think if we want to get out of the group.
Don't have any preference with who we get in the group stages, just delighted that we are going to be apart of a major championships after all the setbacks over the last 10 years.

Crosby87
16/11/2011, 11:04 PM
Kevin Palmers article. Caution: Contains "Group of Debt" line.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/984386/kevin-palmer:-joyous-ireland-earn-%3Ci%3Ecraic%3C/i%3E-at-euros?cc=5901 (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/984386/kevin-palmer:-joyous-ireland-earn-%3Ci%3Ecraic%3C/i%3E-at-euros?cc=5901)

toffeeforever
16/11/2011, 11:21 PM
As long as we avoid Spain in pot 1 id be happy. Id be confident of us getting a result of Holland. Obivously if we got Poland or Ukraine it would be great news.

BonnieShels
16/11/2011, 11:25 PM

This joke is getting old. Come on Mr A, you're better than that!

BonnieShels
16/11/2011, 11:29 PM
If we can avoid Germany at all costs I would be happy enough. After that I don't care because inevitably we will get the Dutch.

I'm also concerned at the idea of getting a host nation due to the way referees ref their games. I'm sure Trap is dreading that too. Still though.

Ukraine, England, Greece please...

Razors left peg
17/11/2011, 12:05 AM
From a personal point of view Im gonna be on my knees praying for anyone but Portugal... Girlfriend Portuguese and a bigger football nut than me so my life wont be worth living if they beat us :)

French Toasht
17/11/2011, 10:00 AM
Dear God, I hope we'll be situated in Poland. Everything about Ukraine, seems to suggest it will be a logistical nightmare for fans.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1117/1224307706516.html

Handy
17/11/2011, 10:20 AM
First post!

Would like to avoid Germany mainly. Ireland are difficult to be effective against but I think Germany have the tools to pick us apart at will. Lots of people here hoping for Poland. They'll be on a high with massive support in their own stadiums. Not a doddle by any means.

I'd kind of fancy Spain. We'd be massive underdogs. We might well frustrate them, and a point would be a massive success. They'd also most likely beat everyone in the group leaving a clearer battle for second spot.

England or Holland would make it a nightmare to get tickets, but that's just from a selfish perspective.

I'm not sure we have enough of a cutting edge to get 3 points against what will be a very frustrating Greece side.

My group (based in Poland)
Spain - Russia - Sweden - Ireland

Stuttgart88
17/11/2011, 10:38 AM
Welcome on board Eoin.

drummerboy
17/11/2011, 10:54 AM
Certainly don't want Spain or Russia. Russia beat us easily at Aviva and we were blessed we didn't get a hiding over in Moscow.

Handy
17/11/2011, 10:55 AM
Welcome on board Eoin.
:confused:
Cheers for the welcome, anyways!

Been a lurker here for quite a while. Banter usually seems well informed/intended and there's not too much infighting and abuse to have to trawl through. Glad to have finally registered. The excitement of qualifying pushed me to it.

- Back on Topic, aside from the Old Enemy buzz, I can't see why so many people fancy England in the draw. I think they'd be well able for us, with or without Rooney. I know they are usually overhyped, but they have the players, especially on the wings, to see us off handy enough I reckon.

Handy
17/11/2011, 10:59 AM
Certainly don't want Spain or Russia. Russia beat us easily at Aviva and we were blessed we didn't get a hiding over in Moscow.

I can understand why most people wouldn't want Spain, but I thought we were hugely off form against Russia in the Aviva, and lacked the ability to control the ball in Moscow. I think in a neutral venue, with so much at stake, and hopefully with some personnel in the team that can out their foot on the ball, that Ireland wouldn't be one bit afraid of Russia.

Stuttgart88
17/11/2011, 11:12 AM
For me:

Pot 1 - anyone but Spain
Pot 2 - anyone but Germany, though being apart from England and their entourage would be great. Trap has the sign over Italy.
Pot 3 - anyone but Portugal (despite their recent vulnerabilities). Greece or Sweden ideal.

Interestingly we play Pot 1 teams last, so by that stage the nationalistic euphoria might have worn off (or got worse!). Poland is ideal first seed I reckon.

There aren't gonna be any easy points.

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2011, 11:27 AM
Interestingly we play Pot 1 teams last, so by that stage the nationalistic euphoria might have worn off (or got worse!). Poland is ideal first seed I reckon.

There aren't gonna be any easy points.

Think Mypost was pointing out, the placing in the group is drawn too so those from pot four could be number two in a group and play the top seeds first.

Wolfie
17/11/2011, 12:40 PM
First post!

A brave move, Thierry. A brave move.

DeLorean
17/11/2011, 1:35 PM
I think some people might be underestimating Ukraine a little bit. They seem to be thrown loosely into the same bracket as Poland but I suspect they're a far more dangerous animal. That said, it's difficult to know where they are at right now. They've had fairly mixed firendly results over the past year and a half. I think they might be a very dangerous side on home turf and could go far in the competition.

Stuttgart88
17/11/2011, 1:36 PM
Think Mypost was pointing out, the placing in the group is drawn too so those from pot four could be number two in a group and play the top seeds first.Ah, OK. Can I find that post - was it in this thread?

Stuttgart88
17/11/2011, 1:38 PM
Girlfriend Portuguese and a bigger football nut than me so my life wont be worth living if they beat us :)You've got a Latin girlfriend mad into football? Sounds like life is definitely worth living regardless of the result.

geysir
17/11/2011, 1:57 PM
Wait 'til the hangover sinks in and she finds out that Razor cares more about winning than about her feelings.

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2011, 2:05 PM
Ah, OK. Can I find that post - was it in this thread?

Here it is. (http://foot.ie/threads/159115-Ireland-V-Estonia-Match-Thread-Playoff-2nd-Leg.?p=1553240&viewfull=1#post1553240) Or at least this is one of them - it may have been expanded on elsewhere. Anyway we could be number 2, 3 or 4 on the group depending on where we're drawn. So could conceivably be in the opening game, for instance.

Razors left peg
17/11/2011, 2:46 PM
You've got a Latin girlfriend mad into football? Sounds like life is definitely worth living regardless of the result.

The arguements already started last night when she told me everyone she knows back home are hoping Portugal get us in the group, they fancy us a bit of a soft touch...

Charlie Darwin
17/11/2011, 2:51 PM
Well looking at Tuesday's game, any team that score all of their goals from long range like Portugal would be mad not to want us in their group.

Hale
17/11/2011, 3:12 PM
I just did a hypothetical draw for the craic now and this is what came out!

Group A Group B Group C Group D

Poland Holland Spain Ukraine
Russia Italy England Germany
Portugal Croatia Greece Sweden
France Denmark Czech Ireland

It just shows how hard it is to get a decent group.

I would prefer Poland.....England/Italy.......Greece/Sweden......Ireland......
But i suppose we will get something in the middle....hopefully since....
Its better than the group of death....Spain...Germany...Portugal

OwlsFan
17/11/2011, 3:39 PM
I just see all these power houses of Europe and we're among them :D. I'd take your draw of Ukraine, Germany and Sweden. Reasonable chance of 2nd place there.

Wolfie
17/11/2011, 3:45 PM
I just did a hypothetical draw for the craic now and this is what came out!

Conjurs up images of you stood at home in the kitchen with a cooking bowl full of plastic balls, possibly on a wooden pallet to provide a raised platform. Possibly Pele is there with you.

The tension is palpable as we progress to Pot 3.

"Nan, if you'd do the honours........................ooh, Croatia".

Stuttgart88
17/11/2011, 3:49 PM
Here it is. (http://foot.ie/threads/159115-Ireland-V-Estonia-Match-Thread-Playoff-2nd-Leg.?p=1553240&viewfull=1#post1553240) Or at least this is one of them - it may have been expanded on elsewhere. Anyway we could be number 2, 3 or 4 on the group depending on where we're drawn. So could conceivably be in the opening game, for instance.OK, so the way the draw would work is..? To draw from a bowl with bits of paper saying A2, A3 and A4. They then draw a random team from Pot 2 (based on temperature :)). Then onto the bowl with B2, B3 and B4 (obviously they'll have filled B1 and C1 with the two teams from Pot 1 beforehand) and drawing from the remaining names in Pot 2. And so on...

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2011, 3:57 PM
OK, so the way the draw would work is..? To draw from a bowl with bits of paper saying A2, A3 and A4. They then draw a random team from Pot 2 (based on temperature :)). Then onto the bowl with B2, B3 and B4 (obviously they'll have filled B1 and C1 with the two teams from Pot 1 beforehand) and drawing from the remaining names in Pot 2. And so on...

Yup I'd imagine that's exactly how it'll work, UEFA confirm it (http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=1716622.html) minus the exact method (or reference to heated balls).

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2011, 3:58 PM
Possibly Pele is there with you.

For expenses and a slice of nan's out-of-this-world Treacle Tart, Pele would endorse anything.

mypost
17/11/2011, 5:30 PM
OK, so the way the draw would work is..? To draw from a bowl with bits of paper saying A2, A3 and A4. They then draw a random team from Pot 2 (based on temperature :)). Then onto the bowl with B2, B3 and B4 (obviously they'll have filled B1 and C1 with the two teams from Pot 1 beforehand) and drawing from the remaining names in Pot 2. And so on...

Correct, apart from the "temperature" reference. Every ball in every pot is stone cold, as they always have been, and always will be. You get what you're given, and you make the best of it.

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2011, 5:35 PM
They then draw a random team from Pot 2 (based on temperature :)).

Correct, apart from the "temperature" reference. Every ball in every pot is stone cold, as they always have been, and always will be. You get what you're given, and you make the best of it.

Someone call Smiley Inc and tell them their current batch appear to be faulty...

EDIT - Or are they? ;)

mypost
17/11/2011, 5:55 PM
Dear God, I hope we'll be situated in Poland. Everything about Ukraine, seems to suggest it will be a logistical nightmare for fans.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1117/1224307706516.html

Our fans got to Russia and Armenia. They'll have to find some way of getting to Brazil in 3 years time. Ukraine will be a laugh by comparison.

theworm2345
18/11/2011, 4:11 AM
Two years ago, today...I'll never forget the day or the date. A little bit different feeling now :D (though I won't lie, I still get that feeling in my stomach/chest when I think about it or see the infamous picture).

Its good that people are finally seeing Blatter for the **** he is too, even if it took him making an ignorant comment on racism to do so.

Real ale Madrid
18/11/2011, 7:30 AM
Every ball in every pot is stone cold,

:D

Thats the quote of the week for me. Even better than the Cat is in the sack!

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2011, 10:50 AM
Anyone seen this (http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Clubs/Club_Home/2011/11/16/1321473841655/Backpassing-graphic-001.jpg)? Infographic showing which teams passed back to the goalkeeper most during the qualifiers. Unsurprisingly we've the third highest percentage. We are behind England though. :)

geysir
18/11/2011, 10:58 AM
Statistics ??
A successful lump forward should count for at least 3 successful passes.

ArdeeBhoy
18/11/2011, 10:58 AM
Our fans got to Russia and Armenia. They'll have to find some way of getting to Brazil in 3 years time. Ukraine will be a laugh by comparison.

Those green-tinted specs still going then?
:eek:

Getting to much of Ukraine won't be a walk in the park. Have you seen how big it is??
Armenia was hardly a quick jaunt by the way, lovely place but absolutely knackering.

And Brazil is anything but a given.

Charlie Darwin
18/11/2011, 11:15 AM
Anyone seen this (http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Clubs/Club_Home/2011/11/16/1321473841655/Backpassing-graphic-001.jpg)? Infographic showing which teams passed back to the goalkeeper most during the qualifiers. Unsurprisingly we've the third highest percentage. We are behind England though. :)
Another proud record for John Terry. 11 passes to the goalkeeper!

shakermaker1982
18/11/2011, 12:25 PM
Not sure where to put this but hopefully we can add a few more 'memorable games' to this list next summer. Some BIG omissions IMO....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/18/joy-of-six-republic-ireland-football

Too big to post whole article on here.