PDA

View Full Version : 2014 World Cup qualifying

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

pineapple stu
14/11/2011, 11:05 AM
Qualifying is underway for this (except in Europe and Oceania) - don't see a thread on it though.

In Asia, North Korea are already out, and 2002 qualifiers China are all but out. Jordan - who've never qualified - are going well; five wins and a draw (in a dead game); 19 goals scored and 2 conceded. Uzbekistan have been doing well too; think they've been just outside the qualification spots in recent years. So qualifying will be 4 or 5 from Jordan, Iraq, South Korea, Lebanon, Japan, Uzbekistan, Australia, Iran, Qatar/Bahrain (depending on who wins in Doha on Tuesday) and Saudi Arabia/Oman/Thailand (too close to call there; Oman don't have to play Australia). So a very good chance of a new qualifier there (in italics).

In North and Central America, Trinidad & Tobago are out, knocked out by Guyana, boosted by having Carl Cort (and his brother); it's the furthest they've ever gotten in qualifying. Still two more rounds to go though. Cuba got a bye into the penultimate round; must have improved in recent years. They've got a not particularly tricky group of Honduras, Canada and Panama.

Venezuela - the only South American team never to have qualified - beat Argentina at home and picked up a draw in Colombia. Argentina were also held at home by Bolivia. Uruguay are already three points clear after Suarez scored four against Chile.

There's games in all zones (again except Europe and Oceania) on Monday and Tuesday.

bennocelt
14/11/2011, 12:07 PM
I would say that Panama will def qualify for their first world cup, they played some really great attacking football in the last concaf comp

theworm2345
14/11/2011, 1:28 PM
In North and Central America, Trinidad & Tobago are out, knocked out by Guyana, boosted by having Carl Cort (and his brother); it's the furthest they've ever gotten in qualifying. Still two more rounds to go though. Cuba got a bye into the penultimate round; must have improved in recent years. They've got a not particularly tricky group of Honduras, Canada and Panama.

T&T deserved to go out, Guyana have been the better side in Qualifying (and in that match which I saw) and are undefeated while T&T lost to Bermuda (again). One of the bigger story lines in my book was that Guyana's manager is a Trinbagonian who the TTFF essentially cast off to Guyana (he also managed a Trinidadian club team until recently...or maybe he still does). Furthermore, the guy who opened the scoring for Guyana (with an excellent volley) is Ebbsfleet's Ricky Shakes -- who was capped for T&T in a friendly against Iceland in 2006, was deemed surplus to requirements, and joined up with Guyana in a friendly against an English club last year and made his debut for Guyana in October. The guy who scored Guyana's second was "Carl Cort's brother" Leon who perhaps deserves to be called more than just Carl Cort's brother as he has had a decent career in the Championship and in the Premier League with Stoke and Burnley. T&T and Guyana have been "sparring partners" for the past few years and yet this was T&T's first loss to Guyana in some 34 years.

Antigua and Barbuda also made it through to reach the farthest they've ever gone after narrowly defeating Haiti on Friday night, awful mistake by Haitian keeper Placide (similar to Duff's goal against Saudi Arabia) when a draw would've meant that their match in Port-au-Prince tomorrow actually meant something. Former Ireland U17 Kieran Murtagh is in Antigua and Barbuda's side.

theworm2345
15/11/2011, 5:43 PM
Excellent result for São Tomé and Príncipe against Congo with a 1-1 draw in Congo. They still lost the tie on aggregate but not a bad result as they hadn't played a match in some 8 years.

One of Mozambique's scorers today's name is apparently just Whiskey.

geysir
16/11/2011, 7:34 PM
Good work Worm, keep us posted.

Kingdom
22/11/2011, 2:02 PM
Excellent result for São Tomé and Príncipe against Congo with a 1-1 draw in Congo. They still lost the tie on aggregate but not a bad result as they hadn't played a match in some 8 years.

One of Mozambique's scorers today's name is apparently just Whiskey.

Bravo.

Kingdom
22/11/2011, 2:18 PM
Qualifying is underway for this (except in Europe and Oceania) - don't see a thread on it though.

In Asia, North Korea are already out, and 2002 qualifiers China are all but out. Jordan - who've never qualified - are going well; five wins and a draw (in a dead game); 19 goals scored and 2 conceded. Uzbekistan have been doing well too; think they've been just outside the qualification spots in recent years. So qualifying will be 4 or 5 from Jordan, Iraq, South Korea, Lebanon, Japan, Uzbekistan, Australia, Iran, Qatar/Bahrain (depending on who wins in Doha on Tuesday) and Saudi Arabia/Oman/Thailand (too close to call there; Oman don't have to play Australia). So a very good chance of a new qualifier there (in italics).

Uzbekistan have been there or therabouts in recent campaigns. Shakhtish is probably their best known player (played with Lokomotiv in Moscow I think?) and Kiev.

Asia really went tits up this campaign alright, the North were gone early doors too. (apologies - it was the UAE I was thinking of)

In all probability, given the AFC have proposed to seed the next round, it's quite unlikely that the applecart will be upset too much.

There still will be two of Australia, Japan, Iran and South Korea in each group, and with the 5th qualifier having to beat 5th in South America, I just can't see an upset there.

Jordan, Lebanon, Qatar (likely to get through given the final day matches) will get thrown by the wayside in the two final groups. Best bet would be as you mentioned Uzbekistan or Iraq to come through the continental play-off. I'd love to see someone new get through btw, but the odds would be against it I'd imagine

theworm2345
22/11/2011, 4:14 PM
Some quality matches today, American Samoa vs Tonga and Cook Islands vs Western Samoa (who I believe are captained by Tim Cahill's brother). Both Samoas are joint bottom of the world ranking with Montserrat and a few others and Tonga and Cook Islands I don't believe are too far off, though I think all it takes is a draw to get off the foot of the rankings. Some may remember American Samoa lost 31-0 to Australia a few years ago. Unfortunately I don't think there will be a stream (but am hoping for some highlights), so I'll have to settle for the bright lights and fancy cars of the FA Cup with Stourbridge hosting Plymouth.

theworm2345
23/11/2011, 2:57 AM
Well American Samoa have their first ever official win (their only even non-official win came over Wallis and Futuna when neither were FIFA members, they've never drawn), 2-1 over Tonga, which will see them come off the bottom of the FIFA rankings. They play in the Toleafoa J.S. Blatter Complex which immediately makes me wonder how they all of the sudden got this win.

pineapple stu
23/11/2011, 9:16 AM
Reaching into the depths conspiracy theory a bit too much there, I think! They were nearly top of their group too, but Samoa scored a last-minute winner against the Cook Islands.

Just as an update to my earlier post, China are out, Qatar are all but through and the Saudi Arabia/Oman/Thailand group has gone down to the last game - to be played in Feb, for some reason. If the Saudis lose in Australia, they're out unless Oman v Thailand is a draw. Oman haven't conceded a goal at home yet and Thailand are bottom of their group. That said, Thailand won the home game 3-0, and Oman have only scored once in the entire campaign (in beating Australia).

theworm2345
23/11/2011, 1:55 PM
I hadn't seen the Samoa result but that would see them off the bottom of the FIFA Rankings as well. Poor old Montserrat will be down there all alone :(

EDIT: In fact Montserrat are rooted to the bottom with Andorra and San Marino...so it would be safe to assume that if we played Montserrat we'd struggle to beat them and certainly not by more than two goals.

bennocelt
23/11/2011, 2:06 PM
What about Lebanon beating south Korea, result of the round surely

tetsujin1979
23/11/2011, 2:52 PM
American Samoa played a transgender player in defence, Johnny Saelua, formerly known as Jayieh, think it's his (her? their? I don't know) fourth of fifth cap

BonnieShels
24/11/2011, 8:09 PM
American Samoa played a transgender player in defence, Johnny Saelua, formerly known as Jayieh, think it's his (her? their? I don't know) fourth of fifth cap

Well that's the key!

pineapple stu
24/11/2011, 8:57 PM
Man of the match too, apparently (http://www.101greatgoals.com/meet-jonny-saelua-the-first-transgender-footballer-in-world-cup-history/116532/).

Actually, the internet is quite superb. Match highlights -

v-6lv1a6L4E#!

BonnieShels
24/11/2011, 9:44 PM
I think that was the slowest game of ball I've ever seen.

theworm2345
25/11/2011, 4:28 AM
Both of the return legs ended in draws tonight so both Samoas go through.

pineapple stu
25/11/2011, 7:50 AM
It's a group, not two two-legged ties. The winner of American Samoa v Samoa will go through (or Samoa if it's a draw). Game on late tomorrow night.

theworm2345
25/11/2011, 5:08 PM
It's a group, not two two-legged ties. The winner of American Samoa v Samoa will go through (or Samoa if it's a draw). Game on late tomorrow night.
Yeah I was a little bit confused, also it turns out the Blatter Complex is in fact in Apia (Western Samoa's capital), though the conspiracy theory still holds.

theworm2345
27/11/2011, 5:47 AM
Well Western Samoa beat American Samoa with a last minute goal (draw would've seen them through anyway) to make it to the next round. They'll join Vanuatu, New Caledonia, and Tahiti in the next round. I know a little bit about the latter two teams and they aren't any pushovers at this level of world football though I don't think Samoa will be completely overrun.

I would say that Panama will def qualify for their first world cup, they played some really great attacking football in the last concaf comp
They have a weak group in the coming round (you really never know what you'll get with Cuba) but even then I doubt they'll make the Hex. They need "El Matador" Tejada and Blas Perez to bang in a bunch of goals to have any chance.

bennocelt
27/11/2011, 5:41 PM
i actually asked PP to give me a price on panama to qualify - 9/1 - what u think, worth a 100?
(by the way what about guyana and all there ex pats - another t and t?)

theworm2345
27/11/2011, 6:00 PM
i actually asked PP to give me a price on panama to qualify - 9/1 - what u think, worth a 100?
(by the way what about guyana and all there ex pats - another t and t?)
To qualify for the Hex or for the World Cup? At 9/1 I definitely wouldn't drop 100 though may be worth a smaller bet. Guyana aren't anywhere near T&T's level in 2006, in all honesty I think they'll be lucky to get more than a couple points in this round, much less the next one.

BonnieShels
28/11/2011, 11:26 PM
For whatever reason I ended up looking at the AFC qualifying for WC2014.
Could Uzbekistan finally make it. god knows I'm gonna be keeping an eye on this now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(AFC)

theworm2345
29/11/2011, 12:47 AM
For whatever reason I ended up looking at the AFC qualifying for WC2014.
Could Uzbekistan finally make it. god knows I'm gonna be keeping an eye on this now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(AFC)
I remember watching Uzbekistan in the Asian Cup in 2007 (Iraq won it) and they put in a good performance. Maksim Shatskikh in particular caught my eye though I'm not sure he's still playing for their national team (or at club level for that matter).

Surely if Uzbekistan qualify it wouldn't bode well for us as their arch-rivals (going solely off Borat) would probably go in to hyperdrive to match the feat.

theworm2345
01/06/2012, 6:37 PM
Tahiti beat Samoa 10-1 in OFC Qualifying last night. Four players named Tehau played for Tahiti -- Alvin, Jonathan, Lorenzo, and Teaonui -- and all scored. Not sure if they're brothers but if they are surely its a record (either all playing or all scoring).

EDIT: Alvin (4 goals), Jonathan (2), and Lorenzo (2) are brothers, Teaonui (1) is their cousin. The brothers all started while Teaonui was a sub.

theworm2345
03/06/2012, 6:52 PM
There were a a handful of qualifiers this weekend, some matches of note:

New Zealand only managed to beat Fiji 1-0, Ipswich's Tommy Smith with the goal.
Zambia, who won the African Nation's Cup in February, lost 2-0 to Sudan (in Sudan).
A late goal gave Venezuela (whose most popular sport is baseball) a draw with Uruguay in Montevideo.

I watched Senegal play Liberia as well. Senegal have not lived up to expectations since their showing in Korea/Japan and went behind in the second minute. Pa**** Cisse then had a penalty saved though did set up the equalizer just before half time. Senegal brought on Dame N'Doye who made a difference but the major turning point in the match was a questionable red card to Liberia's Solomon Grimes was sent off with about twenty minutes remaining and Senegal went on to win 3-1 (though, suprisingly Cisse did not manage a goal).

CONCACAF Qualifiers start next week. I usually support the Caribbean teams, of which Jamaica, Cuba, Antigua and Barbuda, and Guyana remain, and will be doing so again (Jamaica probably have the only real shot of making the final stage). I suppose as far as the Irish interest goes, you could support Antigua and Barbuda as one of their midfielders, Keiran Murtagh played for Ireland at U17 level. Guyana would be another option as Phil Lynott was half Guyanese. Costa Rica's Joel Campbell's grandfather was Irish and they have a player called Kenny Cunningham. Perhaps that's clutching at straws but I've seen people throw their weight behind teams for less. I would hope you would join me in hoping the US fail to qualify as many of their players and the vast majority of their so-called "supporters" (see: yuppie douchebags) are ****s.

ArdeeBhoy
05/06/2012, 11:25 AM
Some photos of a pal of mine....

Hope fully this works?

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150815154680904.388644.655420903&type=1

Acornvilla
05/06/2012, 5:56 PM
Can't view it unless friends, just copy the image's URL instead, right click on it

theworm2345
08/06/2012, 1:56 PM
Well its not actually World Cup Qualifying at this stage (the group stage of the OFC Nations Cup does count as Qualifying and somehow that feeds in to another group, with the same team as the semifinals but a round robin format, but the semifinals and final do not), but New Zealand, after drawing with the Solomon Islands 1-1 (after they had already qualified in the group stage) lost 2-0 to New Caledonia in the semifinals. So now New Caledonia will face Tahiti in the Final, and the winner will go to the Confederations Cup. I do think this is notable as New Zealand qualified for the World Cup in 2010 and didn't even lose a match there.

irishultra
15/06/2012, 1:09 AM
There were a a handful of qualifiers this weekend, some matches of note:

New Zealand only managed to beat Fiji 1-0, Ipswich's Tommy Smith with the goal.
Zambia, who won the African Nation's Cup in February, lost 2-0 to Sudan (in Sudan).
A late goal gave Venezuela (whose most popular sport is baseball) a draw with Uruguay in Montevideo.

I watched Senegal play Liberia as well. Senegal have not lived up to expectations since their showing in Korea/Japan and went behind in the second minute. Pa**** Cisse then had a penalty saved though did set up the equalizer just before half time. Senegal brought on Dame N'Doye who made a difference but the major turning point in the match was a questionable red card to Liberia's Solomon Grimes was sent off with about twenty minutes remaining and Senegal went on to win 3-1 (though, suprisingly Cisse did not manage a goal).

CONCACAF Qualifiers start next week. I usually support the Caribbean teams, of which Jamaica, Cuba, Antigua and Barbuda, and Guyana remain, and will be doing so again (Jamaica probably have the only real shot of making the final stage). I suppose as far as the Irish interest goes, you could support Antigua and Barbuda as one of their midfielders, Keiran Murtagh played for Ireland at U17 level. Guyana would be another option as Phil Lynott was half Guyanese. Costa Rica's Joel Campbell's grandfather was Irish and they have a player called Kenny Cunningham. Perhaps that's clutching at straws but I've seen people throw their weight behind teams for less. I would hope you would join me in hoping the US fail to qualify as many of their players and the vast majority of their so-called "supporters" (see: yuppie douchebags) are ****s.

Crazy, what a terrible attitude to have.
Anyway, US looking pretty bad under JK so far. There's no fluidity at all, and I don't think there's been any progression from Bradley.

theworm2345
15/06/2012, 8:29 PM
Crazy, what a terrible attitude to have.
Try being around the people who call themselves fans of the US team for just 5 minutes and you'll understand. Can't stand most of the players either.

irishultra
25/06/2012, 6:14 PM
In what way? Its the same as Irish fans, I hear the US fans complaining about all the people who hate the MLS and won't give it a chance. But I'm an outsider so maybe if I still lived there I'd be like you, but I always wanna see the US do well, and love seeing what players are emerging. I was born and lived there until I was 10 and although I don't get same passion as I do for Ireland, I do support them.
When I was younger I always dreamed of scoring for US against Ireland hahaha, if I'd stayed in US though, the dream prob would have been reversed

And Landon is one of my favorite players! Ever since the days of him with San Jose!

theworm2345
08/09/2012, 5:25 AM
Jamaica beat the US 2-1 today in Qualifying :D

BonnieShels
11/09/2012, 11:10 PM
Jordan beat Australia 2-1. Ruined my accumulators.

Stuttgart88
16/09/2012, 7:30 PM
Is Uruguay struggling?

BonnieShels
16/09/2012, 8:54 PM
Is Uruguay struggling?

Nope, I wouldn't say struggling. They've only lost one game and that was a 4-0 drubbing against Colombia in Barranquilla.

They're in 4th place with only 2 points between them and Argentina in first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONMEBOL)

theworm2345
19/10/2012, 5:16 PM
So Canada have failed to reach the final round of World Cup Qualifying in CONCACAF, finishing one points behind Honduras and Panama who both advanced (Cuba were the final team in the group). They won three, drew one, and lost two (the away matches in Central America). They were in it until the last day where they were thumped 8-1 by Honduras in San Pedro Sula. In spite of this, they fired the coach (he'd been with them three years, this was his first Qualifying campaign), presumably do to the heavy defeat by Honduras.

I point this out because of the obvious connection to the events of this past week in Ireland.

SkStu
20/10/2012, 4:01 PM
Men's soccer in Canada is an absolute sh!tshow. Far worse than the set up in Ireland.

theworm2345
22/10/2012, 4:06 PM
Men's soccer in Canada is an absolute sh!tshow. Far worse than the set up in Ireland.
He actually resigned...who'd imagine that?

Metrostars
22/10/2012, 11:23 PM
Disappointed Canada didn't make it to the Hex. They have some good players but are very naive. De Rosario who's been injured won't make it to a WC Finals now which is a shame. The 6 who qualified:

Mexico
USA
Costa Rica
Honduras
Panama
Jamaica

Mexico and USA will surely go through, it will be tight for the 3rd spot, Costa Rica are probably favorites though I'd love to see Jamaica do it. 4th place plays New Zealand for another spot.

theworm2345
23/10/2012, 2:20 AM
Disappointed Canada didn't make it to the Hex. They have some good players but are very naive. De Rosario who's been injured won't make it to a WC Finals now which is a shame. The 6 who qualified:

Mexico
USA
Costa Rica
Honduras
Panama
Jamaica

Mexico and USA will surely go through, it will be tight for the 3rd spot, Costa Rica are probably favorites though I'd love to see Jamaica do it. 4th place plays New Zealand for another spot.
USA will surely go through? They barely made the Hex...Mexico are the only guarantee of those six. Panama are probably the weak link (though will be tough in Panama City) and the other four teams are probably all about equal. It will come down to winning at home and the US is the easiest road trip.

pineapple stu
23/10/2012, 6:33 AM
You'd have to assume the Yanks have an extra gear, surely? Though it is fun seeing them barely scrape by against Antigua and Barbuda. :)

osarusan
23/10/2012, 8:20 AM
Japan pi$$ing over everybody in their qualifying group so far. The other group is tighter than I'd expected, although the two at the top are the teams you'd expect to be there.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/asia/standings/index.html

Metrostars
23/10/2012, 11:35 AM
USA will surely go through? They barely made the Hex...Mexico are the only guarantee of those six. Panama are probably the weak link (though will be tough in Panama City) and the other four teams are probably all about equal. It will come down to winning at home and the US is the easiest road trip.

Yes they should qualify easily probably second to Mexico. Despite their mediocre showing, they still won their group which shows how poor the other teams in this region are. Plus I'm not sure what you mean about the US being the easiest road trip. They are unbeaten at home in qualifying since 2001 and usually win all their home qualifying games. I know you hate everything footie related in your country but you are a little naive sometimes.

Dodge
23/10/2012, 12:06 PM
I know you hate everything footie related in your country but you are a little naive sometimes.

I wonder was naive your first choice of word there? :)

I'd have thought Honduras have a real shout at that 3rd place but you don't mention them Metrostars? Mexico/US will finsih 1/2 in no particular order

culloty82
23/10/2012, 12:42 PM
Panama could well prove the dark horses of the group - they usually perform strongly in Gold Cups, even if their qualifying group was the weakest of the three. Fourth placed side meets the Oceania winners, so should be favourites for qualification.

Metrostars
23/10/2012, 1:06 PM
I wonder was naive your first choice of word there? :)

I'd have thought Honduras have a real shout at that 3rd place but you don't mention them Metrostars? Mexico/US will finsih 1/2 in no particular order

I expect Mexico and US to qualify but it's hard to guess who will be 3rd/4th. I think the remaining 4 teams all have a legitimate chance. I'd like Jamaica to do it, I like those Caribbean islands! Also, playing in Central America is no picnic for any team so Panama, Honduras and Costa Rica will hard to beat at home.

TheBoss
23/10/2012, 2:35 PM
Japan pi$$ing over everybody in their qualifying group so far. The other group is tighter than I'd expected, although the two at the top are the teams you'd expect to be there.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/asia/standings/index.html

Japan do have a quality side at the moment, I think they will do well at the World Cup.

theworm2345
23/10/2012, 4:10 PM
Yes they should qualify easily probably second to Mexico. Despite their mediocre showing, they still won their group which shows how poor the other teams in this region are. Plus I'm not sure what you mean about the US being the easiest road trip. They are unbeaten at home in qualifying since 2001 and usually win all their home qualifying games. I know you hate everything footie related in your country but you are a little naive sometimes.
You are in for a rude awakening. They might well qualify (I'm not saying they won't) but playing in the US is far easier than traveling to any of the Central American countries or The Office in Kingston not least because any of the above sides will have large ex-pat communities in the US. Also, being unbeaten at home and being dominant at home is not the same thing (just ask Stan). The US right now is probably somewhat like Mexico in the 2010 Qualifying campaign (I think it was 2010), except the competition is better this time. I really couldn't care less if they qualify or not, seeing as I don't particularly like any of the Central American teams either, plus they always flop at the World Cup anyway so I could enjoy that then. Jamaica have a good shot at Qualifying but they will have to play to their potential, which they certainly don't always do. The JFF (as with many Caribbean football governing bodies) is not particularly well run (though it is compared to any others in the Caribbean) so a lot will depend on if they can get their **** together. They will benefit from a weaker Costa Rica side than usual as well.

Charlie Darwin
23/10/2012, 9:09 PM
The US always flop at the World Cup? They're as much overachievers as we are. Second round in 2010 before being edged out by Ghana and knocked out in the quarters in 2002 courtesy of a German handball.