PDA

View Full Version : Who's gonna come out of the woodwork?

Pages : [1] 2

Fixer82
14/11/2011, 10:33 AM
It seems every time we qualify there's a few lads who miraculously come out of the woodwork with Irish grannies/grandads/dogs.
Who do you predict to nail their tri-colours to the mast after tomorrow?

shakermaker1982
14/11/2011, 10:52 AM
O'Hara can **** off. We should stay loyal to the lads who got us there.

Murfinator
14/11/2011, 11:02 AM
Who cares, just point and laugh at whoever does as Trap continues to ignore them. Last thing we want is some Kevin Prince Boatengs who'll retire after 8 games at 24 years of age.

ArdeeBhoy
14/11/2011, 11:10 AM
Stephen Ireland??

;)

Crosby87
14/11/2011, 11:16 AM
I thought you were going to mean fan wise.

jbyrne
14/11/2011, 11:16 AM
cant see trap taking anyone yet to feature unless we are badly stuck in a pivotal poition as a result of injury etc

dantheman
14/11/2011, 11:59 AM
I thought you were going to mean fan wise.

Not Brazil?
Gather Round?

:D

legendz
14/11/2011, 12:13 PM
I can't see any coming out of the woodwork this time but you never know. For a player not involved, I can see David Meyler coming into contention over the next few months should he stay injury free. When Trap first called him up, he suffere that terrible injury in the Utd game shortly after and missed out on that squad. If injury free, Trap will give him a chance in February.

MagicMon
14/11/2011, 12:25 PM
Ciaran Clarke- can play in defence or as a Trap-style (sitting back) midfielder. I'd love to see Coleman at RB and Hoolahan on the right wing and Duff and Ward on the left, but it'll never ever happen.

TrapAPony
14/11/2011, 12:50 PM
Anton Ferdinand, Anthony Pilkington, Jamie O'Hara, Kyle Naughton, Mark Noble, Marc Tierney, Richard Stearman & Jermaine Pennant

nigel-harps1954
14/11/2011, 1:19 PM
Anton Ferdinand is the only one I'd even half consider out of that lot to be fair and that's only because I don't trust the Irish defence at all.

tetsujin1979
14/11/2011, 1:33 PM
O'Hara ruled himself out of contention for the team a few weeks ago: http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/ohara-rules-out-irish-2908062.html

Sullivinho
14/11/2011, 1:39 PM
Ah, that old chestnut. Yew will always get one or two who pine for a place but I s'pose we'll have to cedar credentials first. Olive it up to Trap and whoever he wants to teak a look at. I don't think Jermaine Pennant would be a poplar choice though.

Sullivinho
14/11/2011, 1:42 PM
Anton Ferdinand is the only one I'd even half consider out of that lot to be fair and that's only because I don't trust the Irish defence at all.

The defense that has one of, if not the best records in Europe right now? Can't be all down to luck and chance surely? I think you might be overstating Anton's potential impact too tbh. From TrapAPony's list above, I think the Norwich duo Pilkington and Tierney would offer us most. O'Hara was celebrating last week's result but has already committed himself to England.

TrapAPony
14/11/2011, 1:45 PM
O'Hara ruled himself out of contention for the team a few weeks ago: http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/ohara-rules-out-irish-2908062.html

Regrets it now I reckon

nigel-harps1954
14/11/2011, 2:04 PM
The defense that has one of, if not the best records in Europe right now? Can't be all down to luck and chance surely? I think you might be overstating Anton's potential impact too tbh. From TrapAPony's list above, I think the Norwich duo Pilkington and Tierney would offer us most. O'Hara was celebrating last week's result but has already committed himself to England.

In fairness, in that whole time we haven't exactly played any major teams, only not conceding against Russia because of some sort of miracle. St.Ledger just isn't good enough for me. Without Dunne we'd be massacred in there. You look at our backup, O'Dea and McShane seem to be next in contention. That is very worrying going to the Euros.
If we harbour any hopes of going anywhere in the Euros, you need to start from the defence and work your way up. Another centre half is a must. Especially if one of Dunne or St.Ledger gets injured.

Dodge
14/11/2011, 2:15 PM
an ceannairre

SwanVsDalton
14/11/2011, 2:23 PM
In fairness, in that whole time we haven't exactly played any major teams, only not conceding against Russia because of some sort of miracle. St.Ledger just isn't good enough for me. Without Dunne we'd be massacred in there. You look at our backup, O'Dea and McShane seem to be next in contention. That is very worrying going to the Euros.
If we harbour any hopes of going anywhere in the Euros, you need to start from the defence and work your way up. Another centre half is a must. Especially if one of Dunne or St.Ledger gets injured.

I'm happy enough. The system keeps us tight and St Ledger and O'Dea have proved themselves capable against some top-quality opposition. They're record this year really has been exemplary - as Sullivinho, said we must be up there with some of Europe's top defences. At international level, that's not down to who you play, it's down to how you play.

TrapAPony
14/11/2011, 2:23 PM

I fully agree with you. We are just a few injuries away from having to call in players that just aren't good enough. We need more strength in depth in certain positions.

Deckydee
14/11/2011, 2:30 PM
http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/plastic-paddies-need-not-apply-2933869.html

SwanVsDalton
14/11/2011, 2:32 PM
I fully agree with you. We are just a few injuries away from having to call in players that just aren't good enough. We need more strength in depth in certain positions.

In fairness Trap has used 34-odd players in this campaign. There's plenty of guys kicking around who perhaps don't have the experience but could do the job. At centre-half alone there's Clark and Wilson, two Premiership players who likely won't travel.

We've never had strength-in-depth, but we've probably got more options now than we've had in some time.

Closed Account
14/11/2011, 2:35 PM
Keif is sound.

ALL OVER Britain there was the sound of paper-rustling over the weekend. Scores of English footballers, aware that Ireland have effectively qualified for the European Championship finals, are scouring their attics and searching the family tree to see if there's an Irish granny that can secure them a ticket to Euro 2012.
Chaps like Zat Knight, who really wrapped the green flag around him six years ago when he said: "It's going to be hard for me to make the England team now. I want to play in the 2006 World Cup finals and I may have to seriously consider making myself available for the Republic of Ireland." Gee thanks, Zat.
But Keith Andrews has a stern warning for anyone who thinks they can jump on the bandwagon -- don't bother.
Woodwork
"You could get people coming out of the woodwork, with a granny who came from somewhere in Ireland and that will be a tricky one, if they're not genuine. The group as a whole would stay strong on that and I don't think we'd accept that, to be honest, we'd certainly find it hard to deal with," Andrews says.
The Ireland squad is not a closed shop -- four years ago Andrews was nowhere near the senior team but he caught the eye with an excellent display in a 'B' international against Nottingham Forest and soon became a permanent fixture in the team.
So the Ipswich player says he has no objections to players who could now do the same and force their way onto the plane for the finals in June -- but only if they are true bloods.
"There are genuine cases out there who could come into the frame, lads like Wes Hoolahan -- who is a top-class player in my book and is having a great season," added Andrews.
"The lads who are here at the moment are by no means guaranteed their place in the final 23 for the finals.
"You will have injuries, maybe loss of form, and a couple of players in the squad could be under pressure by the time the finals come around and you may have other lads putting them under real pressure. And only 23 players can go, so someone could miss out. We have a core of about 27 in the last few squads but the manager can only pick 23 so it will be a tough call for the manager."
Some tough calls as players like James McCarthy, Seamus Coleman and Keith Treacy are by no means guaranteed a place in the final 23, but it's a safe bet that Andrews will make the cut. A man who literally shed blood for Ireland in Estonia on Friday, a consequence of a bloody nose.
"I think it's broken, the nose doesn't look the best. It never looked good but it's even worse now," Andrews joked about his nose injury which almost forced him out of the game.
"It was my own fault. The manager was having canaries because I was supposed to be on the edge of the box but I think I was a little bit giddy, having scored a goal earlier, and I knew that they were a man down so I thought I'd have a gamble, but their man came across me with his elbow.
"I was in a bit of daze and the nose wouldn't stop bleeding. At one stage I thought I might have to go off because the blood just didn't stop but I just stuck some stuff up my nose and cracked on."
There was a remarkably relaxed air to the Ireland camp yesterday. No hint at all that there was a competitive game only days away, the lightness of mood summed up by the sight of arch-joker Stephen Hunt shouting into the phone of his team-mate Simon Cox while Cox was speaking live to an English radio station. It's that winning feeling.
"It was easy to sleep the other night because it was so late by the time we got home to Dublin and got to bed. Normally it's hard to sleep after a game but Friday/Saturday wasn't like that," said Andrews.
"It was a bit surreal, to be honest. After winning 4-0 you'd expect it to be all singing and dancing but there was none of that. I don't think we had grasped what had happened, the fact that we'd won 4-0 away from home. It was a strange atmosphere, it was very quiet all the way home. We were all just talking and there was not massive celebrations.
Fantastic
"It has only sunk in over the weekend. From the moment I have been in this squad I have loved every minute of it. The team spirit we have is fantastic, the success we have had is built on that team spirit. There is a real sense of togetherness in the squad that's very special."
And yet we still have a game to play. "Tomorrow is about putting on a good show for the fans. Hopefully it will be a sell-out and we want to put on a performance for people, we want to win. We're on a good unbeaten run at the minute and we've kept a lot of clean sheets. We are very hard to beat and the manager certainly won't let us drop our standards. We wouldn't do that anyway," added Andrews.
"We want to sign off in style and finish up the campaign with a win, give the fans something to smile about."

SwanVsDalton
14/11/2011, 2:39 PM

A lot of talk today from Andrews and Hunt seeming to say they'd rather not see anyone drafted in or minimal changes. It's a fair point - the squad has a certain amount of continuity based on loyalty and understanding bred from management to players. To draft in a raft of guys - particularly new declarees - could be potentially destabilising.

I'd like to see some guys like Coleman and McCarthy - fringe squad players - giving some game time to prove themselves but I can't see, and wouldn't advocate, drafting loads of new players in. Of those I would consider it would probably only Pilkington and Hoolahan, simply because they could play so well it would be tough to ignore them. They have the potential to offer something different. Others I'm not so sure. And it's arguable whether's it worth it when the strength of the group could be compromised.

Horses for course of course, but taking the other debate on this thread about the defence - I don't see where the enhancement would come from. We have players on the fringes (Clark, Wilson etc) who can take a place if needs be. The defence is a settled unit and their familiarity is a major strength.

theworm2345
14/11/2011, 3:21 PM
Out of all the guys mentioned the one I'd have the least problem with would be Pennant...at least he declared before we qualified. That being said I wouldn't want him either.

I really hope Stephen Manchester declares himself eligible, Trap starts him in two friendlies, and then leaves him out of the squad for the Finals.

koneinc
14/11/2011, 4:06 PM
Out of all the guys mentioned the one I'd have the least problem with would be Pennant...at least he declared before we qualified. That being said I wouldn't want him either.

I really hope Stephen Manchester declares himself eligible, Trap starts him in two friendlies, and then leaves him out of the squad for the Finals.

I wouldn't give the fecker the pleasure of donning the green jersey again!

Razors left peg
14/11/2011, 4:10 PM
I wouldn't give the fecker the pleasure of donning the green jersey again!

is he even getting club football these days?? hes slipped totally off my radar

koneinc
14/11/2011, 4:16 PM

He gets the odd run out ;-) Seems to have gone backwards as a player

pineapple stu
14/11/2011, 4:17 PM
Got 15 minutes last game; has only played 90 minutes twice this season and only has 249 minutes' action this season, featuring in 6 of 11 games (so fantasy football tells me)

Razors left peg
14/11/2011, 4:22 PM
poor fella :D

koneinc
14/11/2011, 4:26 PM
poor fella :D
.....my heart bleeds ;)

the bear
14/11/2011, 4:40 PM
an ceannairre

he prefers the rugby now

backstothewall
14/11/2011, 7:54 PM
What's Barry Maguire doing with himself these days?

TrapAPony
14/11/2011, 7:58 PM
What's Barry Maguire doing with himself these days?

Playing for a side that is 2nd last in the Dutch Eredivisie

tommy_c12000
14/11/2011, 8:57 PM
No wonder Andrews is so vocal against anyone jumping on the bandwagon. He will be the first player to lose out if any half decent midfielder emerges

TrapAPony
14/11/2011, 10:31 PM
No wonder Andrews is so vocal against anyone jumping on the bandwagon. He will be the first player to lose out if any half decent midfielder emerges
Take it all with a grain of salt. I also get the feeling that the reason why he is so vocal is possibly because he's afraid that if there was more competition that he might lose his starting place. Didn't Lawrence say something similar a couple of months back? I'd prefer to hear what Robbie Keane, Shay Given and Richard Dunne think.

boovidge
14/11/2011, 10:38 PM
Richard Dunne could afford to smile. The Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 play-off second leg against Estonia has become a gloriously stress-free occasion after their 4-0 win in Tallinn on Friday night, and thoughts have already turned towards the finals next summer. There is one Irishman, though, who might remain oblivious. Dunne's Aston Villa team‑mate Stephen Ireland has long since shut himself off in international exile. "He probably doesn't even know he's qualified," Dunne said.

The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/14/united-ireland-arrivistes-euro-2012?newsfeed=true)

SwanVsDalton
14/11/2011, 10:45 PM
Take it all with a grain of salt. I also get the feeling that the reason why he is so vocal is possibly because he's afraid that if there was more competition that he might lose his starting place. Didn't Lawrence say something similar a couple of months back? I'd prefer to hear what Robbie Keane, Shay Given and Richard Dunne think.

Bit cynical. Andrews is a senior member of the team, he speaks his mind and I think his attitude to squad competition would be 'bring it on'. But regardless I think Robbie, Shay and Dunne have voiced similar sentiments in the past (not a definite, just an impression I have - too lazy to look up right now, I have to get some sleep before an early flight to Dublin!) But you can see at least a bit of that in The Guardian link. Besides this is a tight knit squad - no one really appears to speak out of turn and it's fair to suggest, to a certain extent, one can often speak for many.

Noelys Guitar
14/11/2011, 11:33 PM
Trapattoni alone will make that decision. He will have a good look at who we draw in our group and then see if there is anyone worth considering to improve the team. I very much doubt any of the usual suspects mentioned in the press (Pennant, O'Hara etc)will get a look in. I'm sure there is a few players playing in the championship or lower leagues who could suddenly start to shine and attract interest from Premiership teams. Same applies to LOI players moving to England or further afield. 5 or 6 good games on the trot and who knows. Player gets called up plays a stormer and suddenly the position is his to lose. Houghton and Aldridge under Jack being a prime example of players coming from nowhere (Oxford united) and cementing their positions in the Ireland and Liverpool teams.

Colbert Report
14/11/2011, 11:34 PM
Let's give Jamie O'Hara a break lads. Here was his quote, hard not to respect the man:

"And it would be unfair to play for Ireland. I love all my Irish family. I speak to them all the time. They would love me to play for Ireland. But it would be unfair on the Irish players."

tricky_colour
14/11/2011, 11:47 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/xat3kw.jpg

youngirish
14/11/2011, 11:56 PM
I can see Wilson getting a chance over the coming months. He's perhaps the most likely to break into the first 11 as he's playing regular first team football for a decent Premiership team and is able to play in a number of positions many of which we're struggling for decent cover in (left back, central defence, central midfield).

Pilkington might get a look in if he continues to impress for Norwich though I'm not sure he or Norwich will be able to maintain their good form throughout the remainder of the season.

Meyler also could come back into the fold but only if he can start getting regular game time at Sunderland again and steer clear of injury both big asks at present.

I can't see Coleman getting into the starting 11 at right back as I don't think Trap trusts him defensively and he plays in a more attacking role for his club. He could, however, provide back up for the right midfield position after McGeady, Duff and Hunt.

McCarthy has done nothing this season thus far for Wigan and would need a major improvement in form to cement a place in the squad.

If Ciaran Clark can get regular football for Villa in either central midfield or central defence he might also be given a chance.

tricky_colour
15/11/2011, 12:12 AM
Personally I think Trap will by and large stick with those who played in the qualifiers, I think he has shown he values loyalty
quite highly, and the players he has picked are his type of player, ie those who do as he tells them to do. They have done the job
for him so there is little reason for him to make changes.
However there is long time to go untill the finals and it quite likely one or two will be unable to play due to injury so what changes
he does make are likely to be the ones forced upon him.

Crosby87
15/11/2011, 12:26 AM
It is interesting as Youngirish starts to point out, McCarthy would have been at the front of the pack a short time ago, but one can make a compelling case that he is longer odds than Clark, Wilson, Best, and maybe even Caleb Folan to feature at all in Euro.

boovidge
15/11/2011, 1:01 AM
There's no way Caleb Folan has a better chance of going to Euro 2012 than James McCarthy.

irishfan86
15/11/2011, 3:51 AM
I think Caleb Folan's decision to turn down a call up after moving to the Colorado Rapids will ensure he has no international future under Trap, especially given the depth we have up front right now.

Razors left peg
15/11/2011, 10:16 AM
I think Caleb Folan's decision to turn down a call up after moving to the Colorado Rapids will ensure he has no international future under Trap, especially given the depth we have up front right now.
we have much better options than him now, barring a catastrophic injury crisis he wont wear the shirt again

Closed Account 2
15/11/2011, 10:35 AM
There's no way Caleb Folan has a better chance of going to Euro 2012 than James McCarthy.

I would be surprised if either made it, assuming no injuries. If there is a sever injury crisis and say Keane, Walters and Doyle are out there might be a minimal outside chance of Folan going since he would be able to hold up the ball and act as a better target man than other options. Similarly, although he has a highly vocal contingent of fans and much of the media thinking he should start, I think McCarthy needs to have a spectaular season with Wigan (unlikely on the evidence so far) to displace Whelan, Andrews and Fahey, and I can't see him shifting the wider players (Duff, McGeady, Hunt) an injury to Whelan, Andrews or Fahey might give him a chance, but if we're looking for a creative central midfielder I'd rather Hoolahan goes on current form.

Fixer82
15/11/2011, 11:31 AM
Who came out of the woodwork last times we qualified for major tournaments? Babb and McAteer certainly

pineapple stu
15/11/2011, 11:34 AM
McAteer hardly came out of the woodwork seeing as he scored the goal that sent us there!

Phil Babb was forcibly retired in 2000, so hardly counts either (though he did return for a cameo in Russia straight after the World Cup)

Closed Account 2
15/11/2011, 11:37 AM
Guessing he means at USA 94, you could probably add Gary Kelly to that too.