PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Estonia - Tuesday, 15th November 2011 - Euro 2012 Playoff 2nd Leg

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CraftyToePoke
12/11/2011, 6:05 AM
Predictions lads?

An Estonian collapse, heads drop and another feast of goals ?

Or maybe a tighter game as they strive to keep some respectability and we dont really push the boat out in terms of effort, and just see the game through to finish the job?

Or God forbid an all guns blazing Estonian assault, acconpanied by an early goal for them and Ireland not being able to string three passes together and a 90 we will be glad to see the back of.

Colbert Report
12/11/2011, 7:58 AM
Estonia 5-0

tetsujin1979
12/11/2011, 9:35 AM
Honest to God, if you offered me a three-nil loss now, I'd snap your hand off

gustavo
15/11/2011, 12:37 PM
Team announced for the second leg tomorrow: https://twitter.com/#!/FAIreland/sta...15013155950593
Team for 2moro is Given, St.Ledger, Ward, O'Shea, Dunne, Whelan, Duff, Andrews, Doyle, Keane, Hunt #Euro2012 #IrlEst #GoGreenOnNovember15

TrapAPony
15/11/2011, 12:44 PM
3-0 to Ireland

Hale
15/11/2011, 1:08 PM
2 v 1 Ireland

BonnieShels
15/11/2011, 1:10 PM
A handy 2-0 win.

Followed by delirious scenes and a hangover to rule them all.

punkrocket
15/11/2011, 1:38 PM
Ireland 3 Estonia 1

Let them have a wee goal.

Philly
15/11/2011, 1:40 PM
I think Estonia will be desperate to keep their pride intact and can see it finished 2-1 to us.

Duggie
15/11/2011, 1:41 PM
i going for 2-0 and i'll have a few bets on that. a keane or doyle first goal aswell and i'll have a tasty profit.

pineapple stu
15/11/2011, 1:43 PM
Anyone else remember Ireland 0-0 Montenegro, from the end of the last campaign? A dead game, and one of the most dull, dire, tedious games ever. Just what Trap'd like from tonight, I'd say.

punkrocket
15/11/2011, 1:43 PM
Honest to God, if you offered me a three-nil loss now, I'd snap your hand off
Well if you'd told me that we'd qualify with a goal to spare before last Friday I'd have been them same but twould fairly make the champers flat if we don't do it in a bit of style, even if that style is a boring and workman like. The goal in Iran to get us to Japan was only acceptable as it came so late in the game, it's never nice to lose.

tricky_colour
15/11/2011, 1:51 PM
1-3 Estonia, same as they got away to Serbia.
That will be the half time score anyway.

I dreamt that last night, but I woke up I so I missed the second half!

punkrocket
15/11/2011, 1:57 PM
Just about to bunk off and head for the football special.
Looks like they're expecting a big crowd.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/77/Locomotives_stacked_for_scrapping.jpg/646px-Locomotives_stacked_for_scrapping.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Locomotives_stacked_for_scrapping.jpg)

tricky_colour
15/11/2011, 2:15 PM
Lawrenson on Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 chances

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/15707284.stm

christo
15/11/2011, 2:35 PM
Can't see Estonia scoring to be honest, they've got nothing about them. Hoping for another rout

Hibs4Ever
15/11/2011, 2:41 PM
Lawrenson on Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 chances

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/15707284.stm

A lot of "they" and "them" from him :D

Deckydee
15/11/2011, 2:52 PM
2-0 Ireland

punkrocket
15/11/2011, 3:37 PM
Does anyone know after tonights games are completed when/if the ticket lottery will reopen for next summer?
I didn't try to get tickets for Japan untill we had qualified, hope that this will be the case again. A lot more trying for tickets this time though I'd say or maybe the recession will keep demand down.

Hale
15/11/2011, 3:55 PM
Just been checking some videos of the previous game on youtube......Lost all respect for the Estonian fans, every single one of them is on there moaning about the ref about us about everything, unbelievable sore losers

I really hope we don't let up and beat them again....they will be missing 2 defenders and a goalkeeper.

boovidge
15/11/2011, 4:07 PM
Some people on youtube actually seem to believe that it was Keane who fouled the defender and not the other way round. Absolutely mental.

pineapple stu
15/11/2011, 4:14 PM
For the handball or for the up-and-under? They might have a point on the former.

I wouldn't judge any nationality on YouTube posts.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/youtube.png

Kingdom
15/11/2011, 4:22 PM
love it. That space shuttle looks a lot like a young wan having a slash outside coppers.

theworm2345
15/11/2011, 4:28 PM
Got most of the celebrating out of the way on Friday as today is really just a formality (barring something catastrophic which isn't exactly out of the question as I learned two years ago) but I'll enjoy it nonetheless. I'll say 1-1 with an Estonian own goal.

The question for me personally is do I stay in, watch the second half, give up my 100% attendance through 3 and 1/3 years of college (which no one really cares about**), and then attend a class I really have to be at later tonight with the same professor, or skip the second half and watch it later...decisions, decisions.

*Of course it gives me the ability to tell some snot-nosed youngster when I'm an old man that I never missed a class.

love it. That space shuttle looks a lot a young wan having a slash outside coppers.
Yeah if the young wan is one of these guys from South Park
http://www.spscriptorium.com/Season5/TheThompsons.jpg

Sullivinho
15/11/2011, 4:29 PM
Predictions lads?

3-0. Tough night ahead for their makeshift defense. And the original was fairly bad to begin with.

Charlie Darwin
15/11/2011, 4:40 PM
love it. That space shuttle looks a lot a young wan having a slash outside coppers.
Easily the best/worst post in the history of foot.ie. I'm scarred.

Closed Account
15/11/2011, 4:42 PM
Hope we get an early goal to settle nerves. still no ticket. grrr.

elroy
15/11/2011, 4:48 PM
Oh god, here come the nerves again and we are leading 4-0!!!

Dont think there is ever an Irish game Im not nervous for. Please dont concede early, last thing we want is for Estonia to get a head of steam.

Think we will win 2-1. But estonia scoring first and making things a little nervy for a while.

Kingdom
15/11/2011, 4:49 PM
Keano needs three to go top of the all-time Euro qualifying goalscorers list. Is it possible - wonder is he even aware of it?

Personally I can see a few being scored tonight. No different to any weaker team, once the core of the team is taken away, then the game gets a hell of a lot tougher. The good thing about being almost there is that every game from now on is an audition. Granted that shouldn't matter to most players, but for the likes of St Ledger who marked ahjupera on friday, it will be another test against a big physical opponent, which could be of interest to the management should we draw Greece (charisteas is the big horse who plays the lone role for them I think?).
so tonight should be good. Same for Doyler. Walters has raised the bar for him, be interesting to see how he reacts. Ditto Hunt, following on from McGeady's return to form.

CraftyToePoke
15/11/2011, 4:55 PM
Those selected tonight are from here on in playing for their spots in the finals squad, a lot of them anyway, as the margin between those who hold the shirt and some of those not presently making the squad even, are tight in several cases. I hope this will lead to another convincing performance and hopefully a few goals, I'd love to see the occasion marked with Robbie taking another record but I'd take a professional cynical 1-0.

Closed Account 2
15/11/2011, 4:56 PM
I think Piiroja's two yellows were 50:50, I've seen them given but also seen them just called as fouls, on the hand-ball he maybe felt some pressure on him from Keane and thought, "if I handball it on account of being pushed then he'll give us [Estonia] a free kick". I think both of Stepanov's (foul on McGeady and foul on Keane) were yellows, you could even say the second one might have been a direct red. Given both were already booked it was strange to see them both making risky decisions while one a yellow. Stepanov's second yellow was largly the fault of the guy who carelessly passed the ball back, it went to Keane and Stepanov had to try and catch him up. It probably would have been better for the Estonians if Stepanov hadnt committed to the tackle. He could have tried to catch Keane up or shepard him away from goal, Keane was still some way out from goal and would have had the keeper to beat. Even 2-0 on 30 mins but with 11 men would have been better for them than 1-0 but playing almost an hour with 10 (and subsequently 9) men. The Estonians could have comitted less men in attacks and tried to end the game as 2-0 or even tried to sneak a 2-1. They also wouldnt have been so depleted for the second leg.

Metrostars
15/11/2011, 5:45 PM
Got most of the celebrating out of the way on Friday as today is really just a formality (barring something catastrophic which isn't exactly out of the question as I learned two years ago) but I'll enjoy it nonetheless. I'll say 1-1 with an Estonian own goal.

The question for me personally is do I stay in, watch the second half, give up my 100% attendance through 3 and 1/3 years of college (which no one really cares about**), and then attend a class I really have to be at later tonight with the same professor, or skip the second half and watch it later...decisions, decisions.

*Of course it gives me the ability to tell some snot-nosed youngster when I'm an old man that I never missed a class.

Yeah if the young wan is one of these guys from South Park
http://www.spscriptorium.com/Season5/TheThompsons.jpg Why is this even a question?

tricky_colour
15/11/2011, 5:50 PM
Can't see Estonia scoring to be honest, they've got nothing about them. Hoping for another rout

They put 3 past Serbia away from home.
Don't judge them on one performance, if they play well and we play carp if might not be the formality most expect!

OwenGoal
15/11/2011, 6:10 PM
Don't judge them on one performance, if they play well and we play carp if might not be the formality most expect!

If we start playing carp maybe we should bring on Sammon. Oh no, here we go again. Any links anybody?

nigel-harps1954
15/11/2011, 6:19 PM

Something fishy about that post...

theworm2345
15/11/2011, 6:20 PM
Why is this even a question?
If you must know: the match is essentially a formality, my main celebrations were Friday because that match made this a formality, if I wait and watch it on RTE Player I'll get Irish commentary on the match rather than whatever stream I get, I need to get my paper back in class so I know how hard I have to study for the Final (for which we'd be reviewing in class), I'll be watching on my computer alone regardless so its not like I'll miss out on any massive celebrations, the match will end at 3:45 and I have a three hour class from 6-9 that I have to be at and be lucid for so getting drunk isn't the best idea anyway especially when its the same professor from the earlier class, I have a lot of work to do after that class on my website due to CONCACAF Qualifiers, and, as mentioned, my Kilbane-esque run of attendance.

I still haven't made my mind up, I'll watch the first half and that will determine my decision.

Yard of Pace
15/11/2011, 6:23 PM
The comments section of Youtube makes me regret ever learning to read. There's a lovely "debate" on a video which has highlights (if that's the right word) of the ref's performance on Friday.
Are there many Estonians expected tonight?

OwenGoal
15/11/2011, 7:14 PM
Emergency! anybody got a link?

born2bwild
15/11/2011, 7:17 PM
http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/92085/1/watch-ireland-vs-estonia.html

OwenGoal
15/11/2011, 7:24 PM

Cheers mate, was panicking, thought KO was 8 CET - watching in France.

thischarmingman
15/11/2011, 7:25 PM

You da man, :o

theworm2345
15/11/2011, 7:44 PM
Anthems: Hadn't noticed Whelan's mustache before :eek: Duffer turned around 90 degrees from the rest of the team

theworm2345
15/11/2011, 7:52 PM
Robbie still hasn't regained his sharpness. Yes he scored a sitter and a penalty last Friday but its still worrying. Should be 2 up.

shaneker
15/11/2011, 7:54 PM
Is RTÉ Player being utterly, utterly sh*te for anyone else?

jebus
15/11/2011, 8:00 PM
Yep, went to a different stream instead

cavan_fan
15/11/2011, 8:01 PM
Id never noticed how big Ward's nose is. Shows how unstressful this is

tricky_colour
15/11/2011, 8:01 PM
There is probably a fair bit of internet traffic at the moment, my stream (the above link) is a bit choppy.

thischarmingman
15/11/2011, 8:03 PM
It's usually a bore watching a dead rubber game but to be honest, I'm really enjoying watching such an immensely important game with no nerves. Great to see the party atmosphere.

Spudulika
15/11/2011, 8:04 PM
Paper bloody airplanes, Stalin had the right idea, shoot "fans" like that!

cavan_fan
15/11/2011, 8:11 PM
Stalin had a policy on paper plane throwing football fans??? Id say he was more likely to have had a policy to shoot Estonians!