PDA

View Full Version : Given / Dunne / Duff / Keane

legendz
12/11/2011, 1:11 AM
There's been comment some, if not all, of these 4 statesmen are in their last championships.

Given: age 35, since April.
Dunne: age 32, since September.
Duff: age 32, since March.
Keane: age 31, since July

I've thought over the last few months the speculation is premature. Even no matter the result of tonight's game, surely all four would like a crack at trying to make the World Cup in Brazil. Given being a keeper at 38, Dunne 34, Duffer 35 and Keano 33 going on 34 in Brazil. There's surely a full campaign in these guys? Especially considering their clear spirit and fight for their country.

Charlie Darwin
12/11/2011, 3:05 AM
I think Keane is as fit as he has been for years. Duff could retire - I wouldn't blame him with his injuries. Dunne will keep going until he drops, I think. Given wants to have a long career and may consider retirement to prolong it.

TrapAPony
12/11/2011, 3:44 AM
ALL-TIME TOP SCORERS IN EURO CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFICATION

19 - Hakan Suker (Turkey), Jon Dahl Tomasson (Denmark)
18 - Robbie Keane (Republic of Ireland), Jan Koller (Czech Republic), Raul (Spain)

One more and Robbie joins the elite list:D

legendz
12/11/2011, 8:59 AM
ALL-TIME TOP SCORERS IN EURO CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFICATION

19 - Hakan Suker (Turkey), Jon Dahl Tomasson (Denmark)
18 - Robbie Keane (Republic of Ireland), Jan Koller (Czech Republic), Raul (Spain)
One more and Robbie joins the elite list:D

Looks like the old Irish goalscorers chart before Keane smashed it!

1 Robbie Keane 53 (112)
2 Niall Quinn 21 (91)
3 Frank Stapleton 20 (71)
4 Don Givens 19 (56)
4 Tony Cascarino 19 (88)
4 John Aldridge 19 (69)
7 Noel Cantwell 14 (36)
8 Gerry Daly 13 (48)
8 Jimmy Dunne 13 (15)
10 Ian Harte 11 (64)

backstothewall
12/11/2011, 9:05 AM
Remember when Quinner took the lead and said he only had the lend of it until Robbie went past him : )

elroy
12/11/2011, 9:48 AM
I don't think duffer would ever retire, we have seen on so many occasions before what playing for Ireland means to him.

Keane probably will stay on, though the travelling from LA will be a bitch for him.

I think Dunne and lesser so given may retire. Of course poor killer won't see another campaign, kinda feel he should travel with the squad to the euros even if n a non playing capacity.

Murfinator
12/11/2011, 10:12 AM
All 4 are starters now there's no question they'd be useful if not essential in the next campaign. Would hope they wouldn't retire.

Wouldn't stress too much the age, miles on the clock is more important and Keane/Duff have a lot of those. Dunne was a relatively late bloomer and is probably playing right at his peak now, would be pretty unthinkable for him to go.

I think with a new manager and a new start there may have been pressure on these guys to call it a day but another 2 years of Trap and I think there's little reason for them to not push for the world cup. The rebuilding will begin in 2014. Unfortunately this golden era can't be replaced, we'd do well to milk them for all we can.

legendz
14/11/2011, 11:36 AM
http://examiner.ie/sport/soccer/relaxed-trap-already-looking-to-the-future-173822.html

Speaking on his return to Dublin from the Baltics, Trapattoni confirmed that he will be asking the likes of Shay Given, Robbie Keane, Richard Dunne and Damien Duff to stay on with the squad for the journey to the World Cup finals in Brazil in 2014.

"I believe they are not thinking about retirement and I hope not also," he said.

"We now have this great opportunity to progress but change is usually better done slowly. It’s important that they stay on because they can help teach the younger players.
(http://examiner.ie/sport/soccer/relaxed-trap-already-looking-to-the-future-173822.html)

zero
14/11/2011, 11:47 AM
it would be brutal if any of them got injuried ahead of the finals (yes, i'm afraid i am assuming we will be there!). duffer of the four is the one i wouldn't be sure will be around next time out.

if he fancied it the MLS might be a good destination for him though after fulham.