PDA

View Full Version : what clubs do u support on the continent ?

Closed Account 2
16/07/2004, 11:43 PM
Given there's so much European footie on tv does anyone follow clubs from other countries ??

Tranmere Rovers are the club team I support the most but I like Roma and Atletico Madrid to do well in Italy and Spain, thats about it...

Oh and I'll be cheering for whoever has the misfortune to play Millwall in the UEFA this season.

Éanna
16/07/2004, 11:54 PM
Real Madrid mainly. I've liked Celtic since Martin O'Neill took over and I have a strange fascination with Cowdenbeath for no apparent reason! Kaiserslautern in germany cos I lived near there. Always keep an eye on Hull, Sheff Weds or whoever ex-City players are with in England, kinda watch out for blackburn too cos I have some mates from there.

liam88
16/07/2004, 11:54 PM
Oh and I'll be cheering for whoever has the misfortune to play Millwall in the UEFA this season.

remember 'they don't care'-well that's what they sing anyway ;)
Don't support any club from the continent but the football is well worth a watch-nice style.
Obviously it's always good fun to see an smaller/low down in the league team beating Real Madrid or the likes :D

Obv I'm not including Britain in 'the continent' surely that would start way to many flame wars :D

Pat O' Banton
17/07/2004, 8:35 AM
Used to look at a lot of foreign teams but now would only really look at the German league. St. Pauli of Hamburg would be the team that I take the most interest in due to the left wing leanings of their fans. Some of them that I have met have given up supporting the German national team due the dubious nature of their support and now follow Ireland. :cool:
Also like Bourissa Dortmund and would advise any ground hoppers to take in a game in the Westfallen as seeing the Sudtribune in full cry just before kick off is one of the best sights in European football. There is also a bloke who comes around the terrace at half time (with a pack on his back) selling beer. Once swopped a Donegal shirt at a Borussia game for a Dortmund top only to find that it was covered in fascist patches and stunk to high heaven of BO an old deodorant. :eek:

De Town
17/07/2004, 10:53 AM
I like watching Barcelona because of Ronaldinho. He was unreal last season. Always look out for Gillingham's results because of Danny Spiller and Richard Rose who play there, they were on loan with us a few seasons ago. Look out for Carlisle too because I like to see how much of a fcuk up Roddy made of them :D . And for Litex Lovech who we played in UEFA cup in 2001.

Beavis
17/07/2004, 11:18 AM
St. Pauli of Hamburg would be the team that I take the most interest in due to the left wing leanings of their fans. Some of them that I have met have given up supporting the German national team due the dubious nature of their support and now follow Ireland. :cool:

Legends!Similarly my only continental supporting interest is to see the right wing teams do as badly as possible.Lazio particularly

Pat O' Banton
17/07/2004, 2:37 PM
Legends!Similarly my only continental supporting interest is to see the right wing teams do as badly as possible.Lazio particularly

Ah yes SS Nazio, unfortunately it would seem that their city rivals have a few of the right armers in their ranks now as well. In Italy I think the two Genoise (spelling?) sides, Bolongia and Atalanta have heavy left wing followings with clubs like Verona, Nazio and one of the big Milan clubs being the opposite way inclined.

In Germany you can count the likes of Rostock and Cottbus being very much of the right, St. Pauli and from what I have seen Eintract Frankfurt being of the left. not too sure of the wider political leanings of any of the bigger clubs.

Pat O' Banton
17/07/2004, 2:45 PM
Dukla Prague(In tribute to the subliminal Half Man,Half Biscuit!)

Strange, no-one ever wants a Honved shirt or looks out for their results in spite of HMHB brilliant 'I Was a Teenage Armchair Honved Fan' always Dukla Prague.

tiktok
17/07/2004, 7:27 PM
Manchester United

soft spots for Celtic, Barca and Inter

edit:
forgot the Portland Timbers (not even MLS :o )

adamcarr
17/07/2004, 7:28 PM
DC United And Hibs!

Closed Account 2
18/07/2004, 12:01 AM
Ah yes SS Nazio, unfortunately it would seem that their city rivals have a few of the right armers in their ranks now as well. In Italy I think the two Genoise (spelling?) sides, Bolongia and Atalanta have heavy left wing followings with clubs like Verona, Nazio and one of the big Milan clubs being the opposite way inclined.

In Germany you can count the likes of Rostock and Cottbus being very much of the right, St. Pauli and from what I have seen Eintract Frankfurt being of the left. not too sure of the wider political leanings of any of the bigger clubs.

Lazio fans of course did that rather... er... touching tribute to Arkan as requested by Sinisa Mihailjalovic. Dunno if Roma are a fascist club, is Franco Sensi right wing ?? You mean Hellas Verona are right wing dont you ?? Chievo (the "flying donkeys") dont seem partial either way. I'd hazzard a guess that InterNAZIonale are the right wing team in Milan... but then who owns the other Milan club?

The German clubs that are right wing are almost all based in the East. Right wing opinion is more wide spread in the East (ive been told), then again Eastern Germany's very own "famous CFC" used to be known as FC Karl Marx Stadt... ah the things you pick up from learning German from a text-book donated to schools from the generous DDR.

Pat O' Banton
18/07/2004, 9:40 AM
Lazio fans of course did that rather... er... touching tribute to Arkan as requested by Sinisa Mihailjalovic. Dunno if Roma are a fascist club, is Franco Sensi right wing ?? You mean Hellas Verona are right wing dont you ?? Chievo (the "flying donkeys") dont seem partial either way. I'd hazzard a guess that InterNAZIonale are the right wing team in Milan... but then who owns the other Milan club?

The German clubs that are right wing are almost all based in the East. Right wing opinion is more wide spread in the East (ive been told), then again Eastern Germany's very own "famous CFC" used to be known as FC Karl Marx Stadt... ah the things you pick up from learning German from a text-book donated to schools from the generous DDR.

Yes Hellas not Chievo and I think that you may be right with Inter, although no doubt Mr. Berlessconi (spelling?) will try to tap into any right wing views in AC's support.

There apparently has been a growing right wing element in the Roma support esp. amoungst their Ultras over the past few years. In the seventies they were the big left wing club however this has changed. Certainly interviews that I have seen with leading Roma Ultras (shown on Football Italia) show them expressing v. right wing views
Apparently there has been much speculation that the abandoment of the last Rome derby was a due to a joint effort from the Roma and Nazio Ultras. (the game was abandoned after a rumour went around that a young girl was knocked down by the police, this was subsequently shown to be false.) An article in When Saturday Comes alledged that mobile phone records show text messages exchanged in the minutes leading up to half time, and the appeals to abandon the game, between the two sets of leading Ultras - admitedly this could equally be over genuine belief that someone had been killed or to arrange a fight outside.
Secondaly and more damingly there were anti Police banners that appeared at half time amoungst the two supporters - remarkable coincidence :rolleyes:

Remember reading 'Football against the Enemy,' there is a chapter on the most successful post war team in Europe (domestically at least) the Stasi backed Union Berlin. Simon Kuper comments that as the team slide into obscurity in the new slightly less secret police dominated united the Germany their crowds got so small and so violent, that it became possible to speak of the lunatic majortiy amougst the support.
Sorry rather getting away from favorite clubs in Europe but I based a lot of my football feelings in Europe in the basis of politics.

eoinh
18/07/2004, 2:30 PM
Dont follow anyone except city. However ive an interest in football everywhere in the world and keep an eye out for the clubs grounds ive visited and foreign teams ive seen.

As Pat O Bantan noted above - its funny how Honved are ignored. The second greatest name in European football after Real Madrid.

Love the name FC Agro of Moldova.

Troy.McClure
19/07/2004, 7:47 AM
I keep an eye out on Man Yoo as I think that they are always a positive, can do club and have a good Irish connection. I wasnt too upset about loosing the leage or anything, I think that they are more my Champions League team.

I also like PSG, dont know why but I love Paris so I guess that has something to do with it. I took in a gome over there a few years ago (just before the World Cup) and they had Ronaldinho (who scored 2 on the night), JJ Ocochya, Cisse (now at Bermingham) and a few others who went to Korea/Japan in the team. Lovely stadium and great atmosphere.

Ive got respect for Ajax too.

annacotty
19/07/2004, 10:39 AM
Dub.agrees with Corkman,for Two important reasons.........my two favourite Scottish clubs......one of Irish heritage,the other not.....Central Park :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: ,one of the oddest grounds I've ever been to!

Central Park used to be better known for it's stock car racing than football, maybe it still is!

Macy
19/07/2004, 10:40 AM
Manchester United first and foremost, but also used to catch Alty games, and more occasionally Bury games. Also went a few Bradford games, as my mate from college was from there - common hatred of Lids helped.

Won't pay Murdoch for sky, so don't really see too much continental football bar the champions league - no real soft spot for any others really. The new format means that United regularly play the teams that you used to have a romantic notions for, like Juve, Barca etc.

Macy
19/07/2004, 10:57 AM
Grim city, well certainly around the ground is. However, there was still standing there in those days, when it had long since gone from the Premier....

annacotty
19/07/2004, 1:06 PM
,left the impression that part of Fife,was slightly odd/twee..... :eek:

Before MaggieT came to power it was a thriving coal mining community as were the 2 adjacent towns the stangely named Lumphinnans and Lochgelly where the scottish school "taw" (leather belt) was made before corporal punishment was made illegal. Cowdenbeath also used to have a good 'flapper' greyhound track. Thing about Fife is that there are too many teams - Cowdenbeath, Dunfermline, East Fife (Methil/Buckhaven) and Raith Rovers and as there is no coal industry left, there's very little money in the county. Dunfermline's proximity to Edinburgh is the only reason that the town and it's team have prospered in recent years.

annacotty
19/07/2004, 1:12 PM
Mmmmmmmm, Bradford, like Halifax only uglier...

Better curries though.....

Daxion
19/07/2004, 3:02 PM
Remember reading 'Football against the Enemy,' there is a chapter on the most successful post war team in Europe (domestically at least) the Stasi backed Union Berlin. Simon Kuper comments that as the team slide into obscurity in the new slightly less secret police dominated united the Germany their crowds got so small and so violent, that it became possible to speak of the lunatic majortiy amougst the support.
Sorry rather getting away from favorite clubs in Europe but I based a lot of my football feelings in Europe in the basis of politics.
Not having read the book. I thought that it was Dynamo Berlin who were the state sponsered team of preference. As they won the league for 10 seasons on the trot. :ball:

My Favourite continental team is Ajax. :ball: :ball:

Daxion
19/07/2004, 3:22 PM
And you now have to add Skonto Riga, lost count on how many titles on the trot they have won. I think it is now 13 or 14 :ball:

Closed Account 2
19/07/2004, 7:48 PM
Not having read the book. I thought that it was Dynamo Berlin who were the state sponsered team of preference

If you want teams sponsored by the state then look no further than Steaua Bucharest. In the 80s they were owned by the son of that rather infamous Rumanian, Niculǽ Chauchescu, who managed to sign Hagi for free off their rivals just before a big game.

Pat O' Banton
22/07/2004, 5:49 PM
Not having read the book. I thought that it was Dynamo Berlin who were the state sponsered team of preference. As they won the league for 10 seasons on the trot. :ball:

My Favourite continental team is Ajax. :ball: :ball:

Of course, bit stupid of me as Dynamo were the name of (all?) the sceret police reams in Eastern Europe; Moscow, Kiev etc. Had a look at the book the other night and they are now known simply as FC Berlin, but at that stage were in the Berlin regional leagues which is something akin to non league in England. At that stage Kuper was predicting a dimise of the club. Certainly not in any of the top three German divisions now.

As for Dutch football never really warmed to it at all.

Éanna
22/07/2004, 6:40 PM
yeah, just look at dynamo drsen- one of the top clubs in east germany and they've vanished

Éanna
22/07/2004, 6:40 PM
yeah, just look at dynamo dresden- one of the top clubs in east germany and they've vanished

Pat O' Banton
22/07/2004, 6:45 PM
yeah, just look at dynamo dresden- one of the top clubs in east germany and they've vanished

In the Second div now, promoted last season after a couple of years in the Regionals.
I really, really should get out more :(

blobbyblob
22/07/2004, 7:30 PM
Gowan St Pauli........

SÓC
22/07/2004, 8:52 PM
Cardiff City- Lived there, went to every game that I could, play to go back. Also as someone who speaks Irish every day and loves Irish culture I felt a certain empathy with the Welsh who manage to express their culture and language in the face of adversity.

Barca- Never been to one of their games but plans are afoot. The Catalan people have a lot in common with the Irish and Welsh people and the speakers of minority languages. Again had to put up with such adversity.

Munich- Saw them play City. Aunt lives in Passau.

PSG- Girlfriend got me a PSG scarf, they had Ronaldinho, I had a great PSG team in CM3:) Havnt seen them play yet either.

Then there are teams I always liked because of certain players who played with them, the like of Baggio, Boban, Niall Quinn and Robbie Keane.

Just on St. Pauli, a few St. Pauli fans were at the Cork City -NEC game cheering on City (see here (http://www.corkcityfc.ie/gallery/displayimage.php?album=40&pos=114)) so I have a soft spot for them now.

eoinh
22/07/2004, 9:02 PM
im bringing my uncle (a catalan from Barca) to the nantes match actually.

lopez
22/07/2004, 10:10 PM
Any team that plays against an English team in either the UEFA or Champions League. :D

Deportivo La Coruna simply as my mother is from the city. Saw their 50th anniversary game as a kid in 1981 when they were a mere 2 division team against liga champs Real Sociedad and I hope to be there for their 100th anniversary. Also thanks to their recent form have visited some quality grounds in Europe.

Always had a soft spot for Real Madrid as a kid - put it down to a half Spanish kid looking to for a club to combat the obligitory hegemony of supporting an English team, that runs from Helsinki to Dingle - but I tended to grow weary of them when looking at their links with fat Frank. However with regards to their support, the 'autentico' Real fans I've known - ones actually from Madrid - all hated fascism with a vengence (one was a dead ringer for Swampy of the Manchester Airport extension fame) and I've to meet one that thinks Frank, Benny, Adolf and Eoin the Fruit were great geezers. Can't say the same about some of the 'boys in green' I've met. :rolleyes:

lopez
23/07/2004, 11:02 AM
Bumberclotts on tour.....post-Fulham,anyone?!Don't mention Fulham! ;)

sullanefc
23/07/2004, 4:46 PM
For me,
Tottenham in England (Ever since Klinnsman joined the first time and the five forwards, top class)
Hibs in Scotland (The true Irish team in scotland, and close to where I was hatched)
AC Milan in Italy (Van Basten, Gullit, Rjikaard. Started following them in this era. What a team)
Can't say I've much of an interest in any other League. I have a Real Mallorca jersey, so maybe I follow them??? :confused:
If I was to follow a french team, it will prob be Nantes. But only if they lose tomorrow :D

shugk1
24/07/2004, 10:21 AM
St Pauli from Hamburg and Dortmund as they come to see Celtic sometimes, as for Hibs their casuals are very right wing, give the nazi god save the queen salute, even a young barman I was talking to while working in Edinburgh didnt even realise where the name Hibernians came from!

Pat-L
13/08/2004, 3:45 PM
Didnt hibs go out the game at the start of the 20th century ...only to come back to life with no political/religous ties ....hope big mowbray does a good job with them..except when they meet "EAST GLASGOW TAIGS"...LOL better name than LUTON ......HAIL HAIL