PDA

View Full Version : Where were you 24 years ago today?

Metrostars
11/11/2011, 1:18 PM
The goal that started it all....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1111/1224307370176.html

I remember it well, was going to the RTC in Galway at the time, watched it Flannery's hotel next door with about 20 people. Couldn't believe that it happened. We finally got a bit of luck.

cA5vwZxVzqw

the bear
11/11/2011, 1:25 PM
at my second birthday party

Closed Account
11/11/2011, 1:26 PM
Probably being collected from Baby Infants.

Metrostars
11/11/2011, 1:27 PM
jeez I'm old :(

Duggie
11/11/2011, 1:35 PM
cant remember i was 5, im going to say at home..

boovidge
11/11/2011, 1:38 PM
10 months before I was born!

OwlsFan
11/11/2011, 1:38 PM
Took the day off work and watched the game on TV. Sent Gary Mackay Christmas cards at Hearts for a number of years (I joke not).

The minutes after Scotland scored were the longest in my life BAR NONE. Wave after wave of Bulgarian attacks with balls cleared off the line and George Hamilton almost putting the hex on us about cracking open the Champagne bottles as the Bulgarians bore down on the goal.

Stuttgart88
11/11/2011, 2:07 PM
Watched the game in the UCD bar but left early as I was supposed to have a date in The Buttery bar in Trinity that night.

I left with 10 mins to go thinking it'd be same-old, same-old

I walked home to Rathfarham to save bus fare (10 smokes equivalent). I got home and dad asked me if I knew the final score. When I said no he turned on the VHS and showed me. I was just waiting for it to be disallowed. Then I remember Bulgaria flashing the ball right across Scotland's line in injury time.

A couple of hours later I met up with the girl I was supposed to be seeing. However, one of my old football mates was in the bar too.

Date over.

dr_peepee
11/11/2011, 2:18 PM
Thought you were setting us up for a generic Rom Com style "Meet-Cute" with the Wife to be.....

I was only just gone 10... Don't recall much about it other than me oul lad Telling me and the Brother. It only really started for me at Euro 88 itself.

Acornvilla
11/11/2011, 2:27 PM
Half of me was in my mothers ovary's, I was born the day of the romanian game in italia 90!

dr_peepee
11/11/2011, 2:30 PM
Ha!!.... A nation held it's breath for your arrival!!

SkStu
11/11/2011, 2:58 PM
I was 10 but i remember watching it and thinking how epic it was when it flashed back to Dunphy and Co in the studio when McKay scored. I also remember McKay beig interviewed after and asking for a few free pints of Guinness next time he was over. Great times - it was the first Irish group consciously remember following. I think we were in Group E or something and thinking that meant we were in the 5th ranked league until my school friends gladly corrected me!

Wolfie
11/11/2011, 3:01 PM
I was 12 years old and the Euro 88 qualifiers were the first full campaign of games I'd really followed with a real vengeance.

I'd seen Ireland beat Israel 5 Nil earlier in the week at Dalymount - Dave Kelly Hat-trick, Mark Lawrensons last game for Ireland (I think).

Given my age, I was entertaining mad notions of Scotland nicking a win but nobody, i mean noone, really gave us an earthly.

Watched the game at home with my family and can still vividly recall the moment of the goal.

I remember we got a delivery of a video cabinet with about 10 minutes to go (it was 1987 after all). The delivery man enquired what the score was. I remember him saying "Ye can never rely on those feckin Scots".

That feeling of incredulity and sheer joy when we knew we'd qualified. Just brilliant.

Sullivinho
11/11/2011, 3:07 PM
I think I was being picked up from baby infants with joe_denilson. Always slightly envious of the lads who had the cognisance to experience the thrill of '88. Must have been like the Yanks watching Armstrong and co. land on the moon! (Allegedly)

Half of me was in my mothers ovary's

Barstooler.

Stuttgart88
11/11/2011, 3:11 PM
Always slightly envious of the lads who had the cognisance to experience the thrill of '88. What you wouldn't appreciate is all the years of hurt beforehand. Heysel, Sofia and others.

Closed Account
11/11/2011, 3:20 PM
Half of me was in my mothers ovary's, I was born the day of the romanian game in italia 90!Barstooler.
They have seen their fair share of punters......;)

BonnieShels
11/11/2011, 3:22 PM
Absolutely no idea but as u was three I reckon I was watching TCC.

thischarmingman
11/11/2011, 4:12 PM
I was s***ting myself to be honest.

But then, I was only two years old.

back of the net
11/11/2011, 4:55 PM
Half of me was in my mothers ovary's, I was born the day of the romanian game in italia 90!

Im envious of you mate - screw been born on Xmas day or the likes.............born on a momentus day for Irish football, thats where its at .

Is your middle name Timofte by any chance ? (guessing you have been asked that alot)

I was 8 .....didnt see the game .....just remember the next day and the surreal hype around the country that we had actually qualified for something huge

PartySaint
11/11/2011, 5:16 PM
In my dad's ballbag

dynamo kerry
11/11/2011, 9:04 PM
I walked home to Rathfarham to save bus fare (10 smokes equivalent). I got home and dad asked me if I knew the final score. When I said no he turned on the VHS and showed me. I was just waiting for it to be disallowed. Then I remember Bulgaria flashing the ball right across Scotland's line in injury time.

To Rathfarnham from the old bar? thats some walk - what was bus far at the time? just shows how much smokes are now compared to bus fare.

I beat a path home from school to watch it- I was 9.
Now I live in edinburgh and occaisionally spot the man himself. Love the story about packie waiting for him in the airport. Apparently he was getting deliveries of flowers to his gaff every day for weeks after...

corkharps
11/11/2011, 9:53 PM
I was at the RTC in Leterkenny. A few of us were amazed that nobody gave a ****e about the game. 4 of us went to McFadden's ? (on the hill) to watch. Gingernut scored and i haven't stopped drinking since!:confused:

Irish_Praha
11/11/2011, 10:06 PM
I was only just gone 10... Don't recall much about it other than me oul lad Telling me and the Brother. It only really started for me at Euro 88 itself.

Exact same for me but I do remeber coming home from school and turning on the TV (only had RTE then) and they were showing clips of the game on what either the news or the post match analysis.
For the hell of me I can't remember if the game was just over or if it was a news report afterwards. I would have gotten home sometime between 4 and 5 that afternoon. Maybe it was even the 6 o'clolck news - very fuzzy memories. My mother still doesn't have any interest in Soccer (apart from the fact Kevin Doyle went to the school where she works) and my father was still at work so I know I only found out about it from the TV.

Stuttgart88
11/11/2011, 10:10 PM
Where will you be in 24 years' time?

Momentous day.

Scratchy
11/11/2011, 11:28 PM
I was 12 and at home in London. It was before the days of Satelitte TV so I had to put up with watching Teletext while England were thrashing Yugoslavia 4-1 on ITV. I remember when it updated the page with Bulgaria 0 Scotland 1, not quite believing it for a few seconds, then running around the living room like a lunatic while my parents, who were not really into Football at the time, looked on in total bemusement.

When it updated the page with the full time result I once again ran around the room like a loon. It was a glorious day as was the 11th of November 2011. :)

drummerboy
11/11/2011, 11:46 PM
Watched the game on RTE. They had Big Jack and his assistant, Maurice Setters, in the studio as pundits. When the game was over, they produced the champagne live on air. Great stuff.

mypost
12/11/2011, 12:06 AM
It was a 3.30pm ko here on a Wednesday afternoon. Got home just before half time, the Bulgars were knocking seven bells out of Scotland, and had just hit the woodwork for the second time. The goal came out of nowhere really, and was completely against the run of play. But at 5.10pm that evening, it didn't matter. The final whistle was great, and I would love to see the last 10 minutes of the game again sometime.

That goal saved Jack's job, and it was an incredibly tough group to get out of, with 3 Mexico '86 Finalists in it. It was some justice for 1981, when we got knocked out on goal difference after our campaign had finished.