View Full Version : Galway United v Dundalk

Terry
16/07/2004, 10:50 AM
Galway United and Dundalk will both be looking for victory on Friday night
as they look to climb away from the ‘best of the rest’ and into the
promotion places.

11 points behind third-placed Finn Harps, both managers concede that
catching the top three will be a tall order considering the consistency
that the top three have shown, but are not prepared to give up.

“I wouldn’t say it’s a must win game for us,” said Galway manager Tony
Mannion. “If we win this and lose the rest of the games, it hasn’t been
worth it. I think getting a consistent run is what is vital.

“We were doing well but lost to Harps last week which was disappointing
after we led for so long. We did very well but dropped deep in the last few
minutes and paid for it as they never gave up.”

With defender Conor Frawley suspended, Nigel Keady will return in central
defence having served a one-match ban though Mannion’s opposite number Jim
Gannon has more problems with striker Stephen Geoghegan (hamstring) and
Paul Marney (suspended) both out.

However, experienced defender Paul Curran returns to the squad though is
unlikely to be in the starting XI.

“The gap between ourselves, Galway and Kildare to the top three is very big
but the top three are all playing each other in the coming weeks and it’s a
chance of us to make up ground,” said Gannon.

“Draws aren’t good enough for either of us now so we’ll be both looking for
the win.”

Terry
19/07/2004, 10:42 AM
Galway United 3-3 Dundalk

United pulled off an amazing comeback over a shell shocked Dundalk after the home side maintained their unbeaten Terryland Park record to come from two goals down after 88 minutes to grab an unlikely draw. United literally scored with the last kick of the contest when Barry Moran held his nerve and blasted his 11th goal in the league to score from the penalty spot in the 94th minute.

An explosive finish was matched by an explosive start as the game saw two goals scored in the space of a minute early on. United opened the scoring on eight minutes when Dundalk let United take a short corner and Mike Quirke swung in a cross for Franny Carter to score his third goal of the season and his second headed goal of the season. United had barely finished celebrating when from the restart a deep Brendan Kelly cross was headed home by Robbie Dunne. The same player missed a sitter on 21 minutes after a Ciaran Quinn whipped in corner deceived everybody and fell to Dunne but he blazed over from three yards out.

Dunne made up for his miss when on 24 minutes he broke down the right after United gave away possession from a free in the Dundalk half. The pacy winger beat Quirke for pace and Mike Quirke took him down for a clear cut penalty. Incidently the last penalty United conceded at home was by the same player at the same end of the pitch. Trevor Vaughan beat Gough to his left to give the visitors the lead.

On 36 minutes a Nigel Keady cross was met by United top striker Barry Moran but his header was deflected narrowly wide for a corner. Five minutes later a Colin Fortune shot was fumbled by Chris Bennion in the Dundalk goal but to the keepers relief it went inches wide.

12 minutes after the interval Dundalk nearly made it three when ex-Dublin City player Andrew Noonan glanced a header wide from inside the six yard box. On 59 minutes John Russell was played in down the left after good approach play by Colin Fortune, the midfielder flashed a shot across the face of the goal. On 62 minutes a Barry Moran cross was headed wide by Ryan Casey. Shortly after Dundalks Ciaran Kavanagh rounded Gough but his goal bound effort was blocked by Mike Quirke.

Dundalk did get their third goal on 68 minutes after United gave away a sloppy corner. A Robbie Clarke corner was headed home by Stephen McGuinness. United tried to get back into the game but Dundalk gave United little room. A trio of substitutions on 75 minutes gave United a lift and it was sub Mixie Harty who brought United back into the game on 88 minutes. Harty rounded three players and coolly slotted home his first Terryland Park goal. Three minutes later Dundalk sub Gary Haylock outpaced Ronan Frawley but Gough pulled off a brilliant finger tip save to push the ball over for a corner.
With three minutes of injury time ticking away United managed to win a throwin deep in the final third of the pitch, sub Derek McCarthy challenged an inswinging cross into the box but was bundled over by Dundalk keeper Chris Bennion. Ref Tony Kelly did not hesitate in pointing to the spot. Most of the Terryland Park crowd had headed for the car park before United started their comeback but those that stayed had something to celebrate as Barry Moran blasted home an unstoppable penalty in the 94th minute.

Galway United line up:
A.Gough
M.Quirke
F.Carter
R.Frawley
N.Keady
C.Fortune
J.Russell
M.Harty
B.Moran
D.Dupuy
R.Casey

Subs
M.Harty for T.Folan (75 mins)
D.McCarthy for J.Russell (75 mins)
D.O'Brien for M.Quirke (75 mins)

Unused subs
D.Goldbey
R.Forde (GK)

Goals:
F.Carter (8 mins), M.Harty (88 mins), B.Moran (94 mins)

Booked:
J.Russell, R.Frawley

Sent off:

H/T: 1-2
F/T: 3-3

galwaygirl
20/07/2004, 12:16 PM
Mixie's goal was one of the best i seen in Terryland in quite some time :D

How Mannion hasnt him in his starting eleven, i dont know :confused:

Roo69
20/07/2004, 12:38 PM
Mixie's goal was one of the best i seen in Terryland in quite some time :D

How Mannion hasnt him in his starting eleven, i dont know :confused:

Looking forward to our vist down there on Friday week ! Have always had a great time down there, 1st time i made the trip we won 5-3 (i think ?), lets have some more of that ! :D