PDA

View Full Version : Bray Vs. Finn Harps Preview

Roo69
16/07/2004, 9:09 AM
eircom First Division leaders Bray Wanderers take on Finn Harps on Friday night hoping to consolidate their position at the top of the table.

Bray Wanderers v Finn Harps – Carlisle Grounds (Kick off 7:45)

Wanderers and Harps are part of the top three along with UCD that is fast breaking away from the rest of the League in the promotion race. There are now seven points between third-placed Harps and fourth-placed Kildare County, though with 16 matches remaining, neither side will be taking their foot off the pedal.

“I think a draw would be a good result for us, particularly after getting the win at their place earlier in the season,” said Bray assistant manager Tony McGuirk.

“There’s a long way to go and we’re in a good position but there’s still plenty of points to be played for.”

Bray have a number of injury problems ahead of the game with Graham O’Hanlon, Kevin Grogan and Eamon Zayed all ruled out through injury while Eddie Gormley is suspended.

Winger Ciaran Ryan faces a late fitness test on a groin strain though returning to the fold are Maurice Farrell and Robbie McGuinness.

“With the importance of the game, we could do with getting a few more back particularly in attack where we’ve only really got John Flood and Kieran ‘Tarzan’ O’Brien available. But we’re at home and still have a strong panel.”

Finn Harps travel south with doubts over goalkeeper James Gallagher and captain Shane Bradley though manager Felix Healy expects both to play.

Healy is refusing to make any more out of the game than is necessary insisting that it is just one of Harps remaining 16 League games that they will be looking to take all three points from.

“I’ve been around long enough to know to take it each game as it comes. We’re only just over half way and we’re not looking any further than Friday’s game,” he said.

“Every game is tough and we’ll be looking for the three points just like we would no matter who we were facing.”

http://www.fai.ie/NR/exeres/74ADEBFC-DA67-461A-A6EF-DE8813770322.htm

Schumi
16/07/2004, 12:12 PM
Come on the draw. :)

Roo69
16/07/2004, 12:34 PM
Come on the draw. :)

:D Now why did i have a feeling ya would say something like that ! It'll be tight, but if we play like we have Vs. Kildare and Athlone we "should" beat Harps, i'll go for a 2 nil home victory ! me and my big mouth, i should'nt have said that !

I can't see Limerick doing us any favours either so we really need to win !

Schumi
16/07/2004, 12:39 PM
As long as we win, any result in this game will help but a draw would be the handiest.

Roo69
19/07/2004, 8:20 AM
As long as we win, any result in this game will help but a draw would be the handiest.

You got your wish Schumi !!!!!

Bray Wanderers 0-0 Finn Harps
Bray Wanderers remained top of the First Division table for 24 hours at least after a stalemate against fellow promotion favourites Finn Harps at the Carlisle Grounds on Friday night.

The Seagulls could not prevent their four-game winning run coming to an end, but the draw saw them onto 40 points, still two clear of Harps and three ahead of UCD, who can return to the top with a three-goal win against Limerick FC on Saturday evening.

The standard of play was generally high on the night, befitting two sides who will in all probability be competing in the Premier Division next season.

In the absence of two key front men in Eamon Zayed and Kevin Grogan, right back Colm Tresson was quite often Bray’s best attacking threat, and he fired over early on while a good defensive block prevented him from getting a shot away later in the first half.

Bray striker John Flood had a penalty claim turned down by match referee Neil Doyle (worst single decision ive seen this season so far !!!! cant understand how he didnt give a penop ? clean through and 2 harps defenders dragging him back !), while Harps came close to opening the scoring shortly after the interval when Gary Crossan’s deflected shot hit the post with Chris O’Connor helpless.

At the other end, Tresson could have won it late on but he headed wide from Stephen Gifford’s cross.

Bray Wanderers: O’Connor, Tresson, Farrell, Lynch, Charles, Gifford, McGuinness, Fox, Long (James, 80), O’Brien, Flood.

Finn Harps: Gallagher, Asokuh, Minnock, Boyle, Bradley, Mohan, Gorman, Crossan, McGrenaghan, McHugh, Breen.

Referee: N. Doyle (Dublin).