PDA

View Full Version : Who would you keep?

bluewhitearmy
31/10/2011, 3:16 PM
Now that the season is over i was wondering who would people like to hold onto from this years squad and is there any additions ye would like to see? I know its a bit early but im bored :p. This is going on the assumption that the division will have the teams it should next season and that no-one goes bust or is denied a licence (yes i know how stupid that sounds).

Barry Ryan
Dave Ryan
Shane Cusack
John Frost
Andrew Bhandarkhar
Paddy Purcell
Garvan Broughall
Brian McCarthy
Shaun Maher
Peter White
Corie Treacy
Shaun Kelly
Rory Gaffney
Jeffrey Judge
Shane Tracy
Dave O Leary
Joe Gamble
Paudie Quinn
Garbhan Coughlan
Peter Hynes
Sean Brosnan
Steve O Flynn
Denis Behan
Gary Sheehan

The ones in bold id like to keep dont think we need many changes at all the division will be much weaker next season and the squad we had this year should be able to win it to be honest.

ped_ped
31/10/2011, 3:42 PM
Apart from Broughall and Maher, I can't think of anyone in particular that I'd cut immediately. (Not too familiar with Cusack so I'll reserve judgement).

If the club can cover it the current range of strikers would practically guarantee promotion next season I'd think.

Jofspring
31/10/2011, 4:40 PM
Virtually the same team to be honest. There is only a few I would let go.

I like Peter Hynes and McCarthy but can see them leaving for more regular football. Broughall, White, Breen( already gone?) and Lyons I would think will be on the way out also.

If we pick up another quality centre back I think that is all we need as we can't keep relying on Paddy to do most of the work himself and if he is injured we are in big trouble.

O'Flynn didn't do much when he came back from injury but I would still like to hang onto him as a strike force of Behan, O'Flynn, Quinn, Sheehan, Brosnan and Gaffney looks pretty impressive.

Gamble, S.Tracey, O'Leary, Judge are all good midfielders but we are maybe lacking an out and out right wing.

Purcell, Kelly, Frost, Bhandarkar, C.Tracey and as I say one more quality centre back and we are sorted there.

With that defense I'd be confident of any of the Ryan's in there and Cusack as a good back up.

Pablo Escobar
31/10/2011, 5:40 PM
Surely if you can keep your current squad, you'll go up next year!

fieldofmarkets
31/10/2011, 6:12 PM
Would hold onto Hynes from your list above, not a bad player and really puts an effort in. With the way the division looks like going, we can get worse and still finish as champions. If it was the premier we were going to...another CB would be needed. Corrie did a decent job there at the end of the season and we can get through with Paddy playing next to him or McCarthy but we are light if anyone gets injured. What age is Treacy...could he potentially get better?

Jofspring
31/10/2011, 6:16 PM
Think Corie is only 24. Playing with paddy means there is a good chance he can get even better.

bluepowers
31/10/2011, 6:42 PM
kenny Browne apparently coming to us

thomas72
31/10/2011, 8:02 PM
kenny Browne apparently coming to us

who is he bluepowers??

i think we need a top creative midfielder a right winger and another top quality centre half pat o sullivan said in his address to the fans saturday night that the club will be strenghten again in the off season at 3 or 4 more top quality signings hold what we have and we will walk the league IMO.

Jofspring
31/10/2011, 9:28 PM
Kenny Browne is a top centre half. Playing with Waterford at the moment.

Lim till i die
31/10/2011, 11:48 PM
Kenny Browne would be a great signing, I said it the other night, take their keeper aswell, straight away Waterford aren't at the races next year.

Would Derek O'Brien be a possibility again?? I know we were in for him at the start of the year and Cork seemed to drop him like a hot snot when Horgan came in.

Very hypothetical at this stage but even with what was left the other night:

B Ryan

Kelly
Purcell
McCarthy/Tracy
Frost

Gamble
O'Leary

Sheehan
Quinn
Gaffney

Behan

Before you even get into the squad will absolutely walk the Division next year. I'm sure there'll be some twists and turns over the Christmas but we finished TWENTY FOUR points ahead of fifth. Realistically, who's going to touch us??

bluewhitearmy
01/11/2011, 12:35 AM
To be honest i would quite happily keep the exact same squad next season,

Heard about Browne a week ago but thought it was bull would be a great signing if true.

LK37oldskool
01/11/2011, 2:54 PM
Will breeze the div next year with current squad,only worry is someone like Cork will def need to bolster their squad and may turn to some of our lads - Would Behan&Gamble be tempted back there to play Prem league football?

Targetman
01/11/2011, 4:12 PM
I think this has been our major problem in recent seasons. Instead of building on a current squad, there is a huge overturn of players, leaving and coming in, at the end of a season. Then we have a whole new starting line up, and it takes quite a while for the team to gel. If we keep the majority of the players we have, plus with the few additions Pat O' Sullivan said were coming, we should walk the division next year. I think we def need to keep Steven O'Flynn as well, top player when fit. Behan and Gamble are all ready signed for next season, as they signed 18 and 24 month deals i think, midway through last season. For our centre back options, we def need one more, and if Maher and O'Callaghan come back from injury, we will have enough options back there.

born2bwild
01/11/2011, 10:34 PM
Kenny Browne would be a great signing, I said it the other night, take their keeper aswell, straight away Waterford aren't at the races next year.

Would Derek O'Brien be a possibility again?? I know we were in for him at the start of the year and Cork seemed to drop him like a hot snot when Horgan came in.

Very hypothetical at this stage but even with what was left the other night:

B Ryan

Kelly
Purcell
McCarthy/Tracy
Frost

Gamble
O'Leary

Sheehan
Quinn
Gaffney

Behan

Before you even get into the squad will absolutely walk the Division next year. I'm sure there'll be some twists and turns over the Christmas but we finished TWENTY FOUR points ahead of fifth. Realistically, who's going to touch us??
If Bohs do go tits up that first team could be an outside bet for a Europa League spot.

4tothefloor
02/11/2011, 12:01 AM
Will breeze the div next year with current squad,only worry is someone like Cork will def need to bolster their squad and may turn to some of our lads - Would Behan&Gamble be tempted back there to play Prem league football?
Behan will definitely be here

Jofspring
02/11/2011, 11:57 AM
Don't think Cork or anyone would be willing to pay to get Gamble or Behan. I don't think Cork need him at the moment either.

Players that are already signed for next season:

Joe Gamble
Denis Behan
Shaun Kelly?
David O Leary
Rory Gaffney?

Shannonsider
02/11/2011, 12:14 PM
Now that the season is over i was wondering who would people like to hold onto from this years squad and is there any additions ye would like to see? I know its a bit early but im bored :p. This is going on the assumption that the division will have the teams it should next season and that no-one goes bust or is denied a licence (yes i know how stupid that sounds).

Barry Ryan
Dave Ryan
Shane Cusack
John Frost
Andrew Bhandarkhar
Paddy Purcell
Garvan Broughall
Brian McCarthy
Shaun Maher
Peter White
Corie Treacy
Shaun Kelly
Rory Gaffney
Jeffrey Judge
Shane Tracy
Dave O Leary
Joe Gamble
Paudie Quinn
Garbhan Coughlan
Peter Hynes
Sean Brosnan
Steve O Flynn
Denis Behan
Gary Sheehan

The ones in bold id like to keep dont think we need many changes at all the division will be much weaker next season and the squad we had this year should be able to win it to be honest.

I would like us to hold on to Barry Ryan and O' Flynn. Barry had a fantastic season and even if he stayed on as a goalkeeping coach and a back up to Dave Ryan he would be a great addition to next years squad.

I questioned Stephen O' Flynn's attitude this season but he seems a true professional and gives his all the majority of the time. He missed the majority of the season through injury and was expected to be out until next season so no one could expect him to do much in the few games he was back. He seemed very unfit in the last couple of games but showed improvement in fitness and attitude. Maybe he has become disillusioned with the game after what happened in Northampton last year. No question he is a quality player and in my opinion should be part of next seasons squad. A fit Behan and O' Flynn partnership would be the envy of even the top Premier teams.

Other than that an extra defender or two would be welcome. There are some quality young players coming through such as Brosnan and Coughlan and we have the quality up front. Corrie Treacy seems a great young versatile player. If fit Maher should be signed back. Overall, a very good season. If we had this squad from the start of the season we probably would have won the league. Injuries killed us. The league will be a lot weaker next season so i'm very hopeful despite the disappointment of missing out on promotion.

osarusan
02/11/2011, 12:56 PM
What's the story with Sheahan? Will he be back for next season? Is he on course to make a complete recovery?

Jofspring
02/11/2011, 1:47 PM
What's the story with Sheahan? Will he be back for next season? Is he on course to make a complete recovery?

Could be wrong but last I heard he was back training(?)

He has been off the crutches a while now anyway so I would think he will be back in action for pre-season.

Lim till i die
02/11/2011, 1:49 PM
Players that are already signed for next season:

AKAIK:

Joe Gamble
Denis Behan
Shaun Kelly
David O Leary
Rory Gaffney
Andrew Bhandarkar
Garbhan Coughlan
Gary Sheehan
Paudie Quinn

bluewhitearmy
03/11/2011, 11:24 AM
Behan will definitely be here

I hope to god your right would be gutted to lose him.

4tothefloor
03/11/2011, 11:14 PM
I hope to god your right would be gutted to lose him.
Well that's what the lad said himself so I'll take his word for it!

kingpin4
04/11/2011, 3:16 AM

I've seen him in the gym a few times with the "sport scientist" , doesn't look too bad imo... Looks like he's being put through his paces. Anyone from the club have any update? And on Calla?

da bishop
04/11/2011, 10:00 PM
injury prone players need to be moved on imo and the squad contains a few of them.our big name players are being well looked after so will hardly move however i am sure at least one has a ...santa clause.. in there somewhere if he feels he needs to use it.

jaorta
06/11/2011, 7:40 PM
:ball:Are you referring to sheahan or calla or both as being injury prone bishop,admittedly calla has been unlucky injury wise but I think with the better care
now being provided by the club this might be a thing of the past.
Sheahan got his leg broken by an horriffic tackle in the first game of the season after setting our pre-season on fire. I remember reading an interview
of Mick Wallace when Sheahan re-signed for us saying he had been injury free for his two years there which he said was remarkable for such a speedy winger.
It is my humble opinion that only for that leg break we would be playing premier football next season

da bishop
06/11/2011, 10:00 PM
sheehan was very unlucky and will hopefully come back a stronger player next season,then its up to scully to get the best out of him.calla and o flynn are cases to be looked at,both very talented players but consistently on the injury list after intermittent comebacks.

joeSoap
07/11/2011, 8:32 AM
I remember reading an interview
of Mick Wallace when Sheahan re-signed for us saying he had been injury free for his two years there which he said was remarkable for such a speedy winger.
It is my humble opinion that only for that leg break we would be playing premier football next season
True. I think he would have made a huge impact.