PDA

View Full Version : No ShelsTV coverage of the FAI Cup Final

jafrazer
27/10/2011, 1:32 PM
Update:
Hi all.

I've just got off the phone with RTÉ's Executive Producer for the FAI Cup Final. It turns out that there was a very big mix up somewhere in the wires that caused an incorrect message to get back to me.

In the conversation, he told me that he had no idea why we were told that we could not film. He was actually very complimentary towards all that we do at ShelsTV.

I thank you all for your support through all of this. Hopefully, ourselves and RTÉ will be able to come up with some sort of arrangement that will allow us to both bring you thee best possible coverage we can.

--jaf

---===---

For five years I've been filming each and every Shels match and providing highlights packages to fans spread across the globe.

I stood in teh wind and the rain in Salthill. I stood in a pile of gravel down in Cobh. I stood on a dugout in Limerick.

Where were RTÉ in these times? Nowhere to be found.

And now that we're in the FAI Cup Final, one of the biggest games this club has had in the last number of years, RTÉ decide to throw their weight around and not allow me to film this match.

--John F.
ShelsTV.com

sheao
27/10/2011, 1:43 PM
Have to sat that is very bad form .

osarusan
27/10/2011, 2:10 PM
I can understand you feeling hard done by, but RTE have every right to do what they've done surely. They own the rights now, don't they?

Am I right in speculating that with your videos of every other game this season, you just turned up and filmed games? Or did you reach some agreement with the FAI about filming games?

Dodge
27/10/2011, 2:22 PM
Setanta have stopped clubs from filming when they cover it live. RTE do it occassionally too (presume it depends on the space etc)

Don't think there's anything wrong with RTE protecting their rights here either

adamd164
27/10/2011, 2:23 PM
There were people interested in setting up something similar for our matches, but apparently RTE have exclusive rights to the filming and broadcast of all LOI matches and technically you need permission from them to even upload footage to the web.

Could be wrong on that.

nigel-harps1954
27/10/2011, 2:28 PM
Nope, FAI have the licence to broadcast the game live. You have every right to film that game and they cannot stop you for your highlights package.
Right behind you on this one man. Disgrace by the RTE. I would understand if you tried to broadcast the game live, that you cannot do so, but you are most definitely allowed to film the game and show highlights.

Dodge
27/10/2011, 2:35 PM
There were people interested in setting up something similar for our matches, but apparently RTE have exclusive rights to the filming and broadcast of all LOI matches and technically you need permission from them to even upload footage to the web.

Could be wrong on that.
You are wrong on that. Setanta have shown live games. TEchnically TV3, TG4 or anyone else can show live games (RTE have first choice). Most clubs record their own games. For example you can see pats efforts here; www.youtube.com/stpatsfctv

But RTE do have a deal with the FAI for FAI Cup semis and FAI Cup final. They're treated seperately

pineapple stu
27/10/2011, 2:35 PM

Could be wrong on that.
RTÉ can't stop you videoing the match (many managers get games taped, for example), and certainly have never had a problem working with clubs' video-ers (if that's a word). Dunno if that applies to live matches (must check about last Tuesday).

I think it's a bit much to have an issue with someone taping the game for the club's highlights channel to be honest.

jafrazer
27/10/2011, 2:40 PM
I know it's an old article but as far as I am aware, the contract that caused this is still active.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/rte-and-tv3-battle-it-out-for-eircom-league-coverage-1342148.html

What I usually do, and have done with regards to the Cup Final too, is to make very effort to contact the clubs (or, in this case the FAI/RTÉ) about permission.

I would understand if I was broadcasting live, in such a way that would impact their viewership. And I know that they don't like it when clubs put out highlights before them (something I was willing to work with them on). And i could understand if I would be getting in their way. But I'm a single camera operation. I'll hardly be in their way on the day, as shown by their Semi Final coverage. But I can't compete with what they do as part of their live broadcasts (though, even if I do say so myself, I give them a run for their money in the single cam highlights dept.!)

Dodge
27/10/2011, 2:50 PM
I know it's an old article but as far as I am aware, the contract that caused this is still active.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/rte-and-tv3-battle-it-out-for-eircom-league-coverage-1342148.html

That mention league games. FAI Cup semi finals, and the FAI Cup final are handled seperately

citybone
27/10/2011, 2:58 PM
take the day off and enjoy the game. any chance of a live ustream sat night?

MagicMon
27/10/2011, 3:05 PM
Judging by your work so far its RTE that should be coming to you to use your footage, the quality is far better than anything on RTE player.

(I hope you're there to film Shels beating Cork on Saturday btw)

jafrazer
27/10/2011, 9:45 PM
Update in first post

nigel-harps1954
27/10/2011, 10:13 PM
Fair play man! Good news.

jafrazer
28/10/2011, 9:41 AM
http://shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=1999

ShelsTV coverage of the FAI Ford Cup Final

Yesterday the club received word that ShelsTV would not be allowed film the Cup Final for their long running series of 'match highlights' packages and this was passed on to the ShelsTV people. It has now become clear that RTE were not consulted before this information was communicated to the club.

We are delighted to be able to inform you that RTE have no objection to ShelsTV filming the game and would welcome ShelsTV to share the TV facilities in the Aviva with them. They have also offered ShelsTV the use of some of their footage to include in their if they want to use it.

El-Pietro
28/10/2011, 11:39 AM
nice backing down there from RTÉ

BonnieShels
29/10/2011, 10:29 AM
nice backing down there from RTÉ

Way to be cynical. There's nothing to say that it was in eejit in the FAI who told the club this.

Fair dues to RTÉ.

El-Pietro
29/10/2011, 11:08 AM
I'm a league of Ireland fan, if I wasn't cynical I'd need to see a psychiatrist to treat some very serious issues

BonnieShels
29/10/2011, 11:08 AM
I'm a league of Ireland fan, if I wasn't cynical I'd need to see a psychiatrist to treat some very serious issues

Touché

cork84
31/10/2011, 4:16 PM
great news

you do great work covering the games