PDA

View Full Version : Final kick off of 2011

outspoken
21/10/2011, 6:22 PM
Not long to go till kick off in cork for our final game of the season. Team news is in and looks like were going with a very brave 4-4-2 formation. A few changes to the team with hunt back in goals and Morley wide left with tommo up front alongside Skelly. It's a decent line up but when you look at what Cork have and have in reserve you realise what a test this is going to be. Can't believe we are 12/1 with the bookies and perhaps even more shockingly a draw is 5/1 I hope this is the one time the bookies have got it badly wrong.

Cmon de town!

Longfordian
21/10/2011, 6:42 PM
We usually play reasonably well against Cork but I can't see us getting anything. They'll want it more which is understandable really.

Tallanted
21/10/2011, 11:41 PM
As usual the bookies nailed it, we didnt play 4-4-2. Went 1-0 up early and sat back straight away. Decent first half from us though, 2nd half didnt create a single chance and never looked like scoring, sat deep for alot of it with Cork happy to watch us pop it around the backline and take it off us when we tried to knock it forward. Salmon was excellent as usual, he was everywhere.
We asked for improvement on last year and we got it with a top 6 finish, steady progress and more to build on for next season, we are steadily rising each season, Come On De Town

Longfordian
22/10/2011, 12:23 AM
Yep, not a bad season at all. Limited budget to work with so TC is doing well, as you say we were looking for improvement and we got it. But for some thrown away points we could have been closer to the top four but that's what separates the best teams from the rest I suppose. Looking forward to the dinner next weekend then we can see what the lie of the land is in the new year. Hopefully we can keep the likes of Salmon and push on again next year.

outspoken
22/10/2011, 3:29 PM
Sick that we didnt finish 5th or at least bring it to the last day with Limerick playing waterford but hey at the start of the year I said top 6 and we got it so well done lads now lets keep Salmo and the likes and we will have a real crack at climbing 3 more places or so.....CMON DE TOWN!!

Martinho II
23/10/2011, 10:59 PM
agree with everything tallanted said. I had a look at Tony Cousins program notes from the shels game at the start of the season and his aim was to make the top six which he has achieved. I compiled some stats over the weekend and they tell its own story on the huge improvements made under Tony. I am not going to show them all they will be in the match program for early next season!

Town scored 45 and conceded 51 this season( all competitions ) last season 42 scored 57 conceded
league table last season: played 33 won 9 drew 8 lost 16 points 35 scored 39 conceded 53 points per cent of all points 35%
league table this season played 30 won 12 drew 4 lost 14 points 40 scored 38 conceded 41 points per centage of all points 44%
top scorer 2010 peter hynes 7 top scorer 2011 mark salmon 10( 2 in 2010 season increase of 500%!)
What also makes our season most impressive is the amount of players used for all games : 2010 28 2011 35
Keith Gillespie made 18 appearances out of a possible 29 which is not bad at all.

Also Mark Salmon, Thomas Hyland,Chris Deans,Cathal Brady made over 25 appearances at least for the last two seasons. Gary Cronin made the most appearances ever in a season with 30 with us and if he stays next season surely he will be the first town player since Dessie Baker to hit 100 competitive appearances for da town He is currently on 92 appearances.

Martinho II
24/10/2011, 1:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EEHcPzzMvXk

link to goals from cork town match!

thelocal
24/10/2011, 5:51 PM
How many appearances does dotsy have for the club?

Martinho II
25/10/2011, 9:31 PM
How many appearances does dotsy have for the club?

Dotsy has made 57 appearances in total for us. 30 this season and 27 in the previous one.

howsyourtouch
26/10/2011, 3:54 AM
improvement again for the second season on the trot, and if we get in some new players that can progress us even further next year then i can see us realistically challenging for promotion in one or two seasons. we need a goal scorer, which are always the hardest element of a successful team to find, and also a centre half, i would love to know how much points over the whole season that deans has cost us, seriously, the amount of times he has been at fault directly for goals is crazy, he doesnt have the mentality for first division, never mind premier division. salmon, again has been player of the season for me, he has been immense, and he would be the first player the management should be keeping in contact with over the off-season. hope its a good off-season for us and the team come back stronger after it! onwards and upwards!

outspoken
26/10/2011, 4:30 PM
Ye there were stages in the season where I thought Deanzy's legs are gone but he recovered well and you could also ask how many goals he saves us so I say keep him on hes a real leader in defence something we and everyone else needs badly.

howsyourtouch
26/10/2011, 6:21 PM
ah come on outspoken, his legs were not going, he just is not up to it. he is not a leader, not one bit, im not asking how many goals he has saved us, its far far less than what he has cost us over the duration of the season...he is the furthest thing we have from a leader in defence, someone who constantly berates his own team mates while doing nothing but making his own mistakes. a good defence will win you promotion, he does not figure in this, not in my opinion anyway...

outspoken
27/10/2011, 12:11 PM
He is the only player I see that is constantly talking with the rest of the back 4 telling them where to position themselves and were to hold the line. If someone else like Floody or Hope can learn to do this and come into their own as a real leader at center half then thats fantastic but if not we need Deans for his leadership techniques.

El-Pietro
27/10/2011, 1:06 PM
lads how are ye coping without football? im really excited about Saturday but the dark abyss of no football that is lurking behind that game has me terrified. our off season is way too long

Acornvilla
27/10/2011, 2:27 PM
lads how are ye coping without football?

I'm going drinking thursday,saturday and monday thats how

outspoken
27/10/2011, 7:52 PM
Cup Final, Ireland game, rovers in Europe and barstooling that's how I'm surviving lol