PDA

View Full Version : You have just landed the Ireland job, now pick your first squad

Strongbow10
20/10/2011, 4:53 PM
Right so here is the task, Ireland have been pipped in the playoffs by Estonia and Trap has been unceremoniously sacked. You have landed the job of your dreams and been told to build a team for the future. A new Ireland side to take us onto the next level of qualifying for major tournaments again. Blooding new talent is a major part of the brief.

Pick your first squad of players that will allow us take the next step. A squad of youth and experience that will take us forward.

Just to note, players who are elligible but not yet capped can be included.

I'll go first:

Shay Given, Kieron Westwood, Colin Doyle

Seamus Coleman, Matt Doherty, Greg Cunningham, Shane Ferguson, Ciaran Clark, Richard Dunne, John O'Shea, Sean St.Ledger, Shane Duffy, Mark O'Brien

David Meyler, Marc Wilson, James McCarthy, Glenn Whelan, Darron Gibson, Conor Clifford, Aiden McGeady, Damien Duff, Robbie Brady, Joe Hendrick, Wes Hoolohan

Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Simon Cox, Jonathan Walters, Leon Best

Recruitment of players via the granny rule has alot of variables, but depending on interest and desire i'd take a close look at Kyle Naughton, Marc Tierney, Luke Chambers and pending the inevitable change of heart Jamie O'Hara.

theworm2345
20/10/2011, 5:09 PM
Do we really need another of these threads? Also, "the inevitable change of heart of Jamie O'Hara" after what he just said?

the bear
20/10/2011, 6:12 PM
the most enjoyable part of a managers job
keogh your cut, andrews, whelan cut, kelly your cut, green your cut to, kilbane cut, ward your definitly cut.
everyone else give me 3 laps, except for you gibson your cut to

tricky_colour
20/10/2011, 7:15 PM
I think it is only fair that salary negotiations are completed and first my pay-check has cleared
(including signing on bonus) before I name my squad!!

Strongbow10
20/10/2011, 7:45 PM
McShane, Kelly, O'Dea, Andrews, Ward, Hunt would not be considered for selection again either. I'd rather fill the squad with younger promising players than those who will never stand a chance of being regulars.

TrapAPony
20/10/2011, 8:32 PM
I would include Anton Ferdinand, Jermaine Pennant, Anthony Pilkington and Stephen Ireland in Strongbow10's above squad:D

Paddy Garcia
20/10/2011, 8:41 PM
I would include Anton Ferdinand, Jermaine Pennant, Anthony Pilkington and Stephen Ireland in Strongbow10's above squad:D

But I would include Pilkington.

French Toasht
20/10/2011, 8:53 PM
I'm pretty sure I wrote a Junior Cert essay on something along these lines.

I'm happy enough with Trap and the squads he's picking. So I'll leave choosing squads to him.

backstothewall
20/10/2011, 11:39 PM
In the first instance I would call up a training squad of about 50-70. Good to get everybody together, outcasts such as Andy Reid, Stephen Ireland et all, as well as the likes of Shane Duffy etc, and let them know its a clean slate and no agenda. Roughly:

Given, Kenny, Westwood, Forde, Murphy, Murphy, Randolph, Stack, Foley, Kelly, Coleman, McShane, Delaney, Kilbane, Cunningham, Ward, Tierney, Stevens, Dunne, O'Dea, O'Shea, St. Ledger, Duffy, Clark, O'Brien, Wilson, Whelan, Andrews, Gibson, Reid, Reid, Ireland, Fahey, Delap, Meyler, McCarthy, Rowlands, Quinn, McPhail, O'Brien, Ferguson, Treacy Duff, Hunt, Hoolahan, McGeady, Lawrence, Flood, Walters, Long, Keane, Doyle, Best, Keogh, Hunt, Cox, Murphy, Folan, Sheridan, Rooney

But by the same token, when it came to my first squad proper, I would start with evolution rather than revolution

(I'm assuming a squad of 24 here)

Given, Kenny, Randolph, Coleman, Kelly, O'Shea, St.Ledger, Dunne, O'Dea, Ward, Clark, Wilson, McGeady, Lawrence, Duff, Hunt, Whelan, McCarthy, Ireland, Walters, Keane, Cox, Long, Doyle

None of those lads, with the exception of Ireland, have ever let us down, but he has talent that has to be considered (though I was tempted to pick Fahey).

What I would do different to Trap might be to make more changes mid campaign. E.g. in the keepers I picked based on who were playing for their clubs. If Westwood could get a place in the Sunderland team he would be in.

Colbert Report
20/10/2011, 11:42 PM
McShane, Kelly, O'Dea, Andrews, Ward, Hunt would not be considered for selection again either. I'd rather fill the squad with younger promising players than those who will never stand a chance of being regulars.

Stephen Hunt isn't a regular?

DannyInvincible
21/10/2011, 1:19 AM
Andrews is a regular too, surely...

osarusan
21/10/2011, 6:02 AM
He's saying that they wouldn't stand a chance of being regulars under his management, I guess.

AlaskaFox
21/10/2011, 8:23 AM
Who is Joe Hendrick?

Strongbow10
21/10/2011, 2:19 PM
He's saying that they wouldn't stand a chance of being regulars under his management, I guess.

Thats what I meant to say. I'd rather blood younger talent and see how they fare. The likes of McShane, O'Dea, Kelly, Kilbane (present version), Andrews and Hunt are never going to be vital first XI players. I'd rather let new players flourish in a new set up, build for the future.

Some of the above players should never be near an international set up that is aspiring to be successful although their desire and determination is to be applauded.

Strongbow10
22/10/2011, 1:16 PM
Who is Joe Hendrick?

Jeff Hendrick rather