PDA

View Full Version : Home of Cork City FC???

Ruairi
14/07/2004, 1:28 PM
anyone think it's time to get that painted outside the cross again????

pete
14/07/2004, 1:32 PM
I think club should have big board outside too with next home & other info on it.

I'd be surprised if any planning application required & even if was would probably only when over a certain size.

Sponsors would get some space on too.

Pablo
14/07/2004, 2:24 PM
i always missed it. a bigger version of the club shop sign or something

ccfcman
14/07/2004, 2:27 PM
rip down that stinkin wall and replace it with new glass and steel fronted exterior,itd tie in with the new shed

DolansWaistcoat
14/07/2004, 7:27 PM
Twould cost a few bob for the glass and steel front of the stadium i'd say and why should Lennox put more money into a ground we don't own.Anyone know what happened the billboard on the right side of the shed entrance as u go in.

yiddo
14/07/2004, 9:46 PM
Don't think anymore should/will be spent on the ground in the near future. If we were getting crowds like last Sunday week in week out it would be different. Fund should be spent on building the team and the general football set up.

sullanefc
15/07/2004, 11:29 AM
Lets just say a rich benefactor came on board, with a few bob to spend. Would the club buy Turners Cross? I can't see much room there to develop the ground and increase capacity. Would it be more in their line to build a new ground somewhere close by (but not in Bishopstown)??? Where would be a suitable alternative? Where would be the best place for crowds etc???

On another note, I think it we would be better off to buy our own training pitches and develop them first.

Snatch
15/07/2004, 11:50 AM
I can't see much room there to develop the ground and increase capacity. Would it be more in their line to build a new ground somewhere close by (but not in Bishopstown)??? Where would be a suitable alternative? Where would be the best place for crowds etc???

I mentioned this before but got no reply. Are there any plans to extend the Donie Forde Stand along the lenght of the pitch? It would be great if it were to join up with the St Anne's End as it would add needed seating space and improve the atmosphere.

As for a new location, once the City dump is filled in it will be converted into a municiple park with pitches etc. It would be a great location for a City ground as;

1: it's beside a transport node
2: would be no problem with planning permission as there are no neighbours
3: is next to Turner's Cross
4: Perhaps a keen deal could be done with the City Council for a site!
5: car parking could be put in

sullanefc
15/07/2004, 11:54 AM
I mentioned this before but got no reply. Are there any plans to extend the Donie Forde Stand along the lenght of the pitch? It would be great if it were to join up with the St Anne's End as it would add needed seating space and improve the atmosphere.

As for a new location, once the City dump is filled in it will be converted into a municiple park with pitches etc. It would be a great location for a City ground as;

1: it's beside a transport node
2: would be no problem with planning permission as there are no neighbours
3: is next to Turner's Cross
4: Perhaps a keen deal could be done with the City Council for a site!
5: car parking could be put in

Sounds like a good idea. How much would that site cost?? City could initially use it as a training ground, while still play at the cross. And then maybe in years to come, when we have more cash, develop a decent stadium there. I know Pat has something like this in mind cos he was very impressed with how Nijmegen developed a ground on the cheap. And a good one at that.

Peadar
15/07/2004, 12:49 PM
once the City dump is filled in it will be converted into a municiple park with pitches etc. It would be a great location for a City ground as;

Somone in the construction industry will know more about this than I do, but wouldn't land subsidence be a major concern for a large structure on top of a landfill?

I think that Pairc Ui Chaoimh should be demolished because it's dated and barely used. The entire showgrounds could be redeveloped to include one main 40,000 seater stadium for the CLG and one smaller 14,000 seater stadium for us. Both stadiums could share parking and entertainment facilities. Also on the site you'd have a hotel and conference centre and even a convention centre. Training facilities, a sports medicine facility (perhaps in conjunction with UCC) incorporating treatment rooms and consultation rooms. A gym available for public use giving preference to players registered with county teams. Sportswear and health food stores. A Centra shop. You could even have an accommodation campus dedicated to full-time sports people.
All you need is a little imagination, a whole lotta cash and a friend in the planning department :D

patsh
15/07/2004, 12:53 PM
The entire showgrounds could be redeveloped to include one main 40,000 seater stadium for the CLG and one smaller 14,000 seater stadium for us. Both stadiums could share parking and entertainment facilities. Also on the site you'd have a hotel and conference centre and even a convention centre. Training facilities, a sports medicine facility (perhaps in conjunction with UCC) incorporating treatment rooms and consultation rooms. A gym available for public use giving preference to players registered with county teams. Sportswear and health food stores. A Centra shop. You could even have an accommodation campus dedicated to full-time sports people.
The GAA have been trying to buy and develop the Showgrounds for years.
The crowd who own it won't sell, and the residents down there object to any major developments.
City should get together with the City council though and see what could be done.

Peadar
15/07/2004, 1:04 PM
The GAA have been trying to buy and develop the Showgrounds for years. The crowd who own it won't sell.

The crowd who own it are people who groom cows and sheep like Barbie dolls. If this practice was outlawed, they could all be arrested and the site of their illegal behaviour confiscated. Then we could take it and do what we like. It would be in the interest of the city to build a modern facility.
Bishopstown was ahead of its time.

pete
15/07/2004, 1:04 PM
A Centra shop.

Hows about Spar instead?

;)

Peadar
15/07/2004, 1:06 PM
Hows about Spar instead?

;)

Make them fight for the retail unit and increase the rental profit :D
Centra are local so I'd give them preference.

patsh
15/07/2004, 2:13 PM
The crowd who own it are people who groom cows and sheep like Barbie dolls. If this practice was outlawed, they could all be arrested and the site of their illegal behaviour confiscated. Then we could take it and do what we like. It would be in the interest of the city to build a modern facility.
Bishopstown was ahead of its time.I completely agree with you.
I think the Council should place a compulsory purchase order on it. Its a fine space being criminally wasted.

tiktok
21/07/2004, 3:58 PM
GAA in race for Cork showgrounds
21/07/2004 - 14:45:23

The Munster Agricultural Show Society today confirmed it is awaiting details of two probable bids for its showgrounds in Cork city.

One proposal envisages a potential 5,000-seat conference centre on the site in Blackrock, while the second proposal is from the GAA.

The 22-acre site, adjoining Páirc Uí Chaoimh, is owned by the city council but held on long lease by the society, who turned down a City Hall bid of just under €2m to purchase back the lease.

President of the society, George Jeffrey, said they had requested a detailed business plan from two parties who had indicated an interest in purchasing, in full or part of, that lease.

Mr Jeffrey said he expected to see proposals as early as September, but said that until then he could not speculate on the future of the grounds.

The GAA plan is understood to involve major upgrading of the Páirc Uí Chaoimh stadium, which adjoins the site, but may also allow for ancillary development with private sector partners, such as a conference centre and a hotel.

It is thought City Hall would be supportive of the GAA concept, as are increasing numbers of show society members who agree the site could be developed as a major amenity asset for the city.

Cork City Manager Joe Gavin, in confirming their bid had been turned down, told the Evening Echo their negotiations were “not now active”. He described the city hall proposal as being “on ice”.

Had City Hall secured the lease, they were confident of securing a new investor to fund a major amenity project on the site.

That included possibly doing a deal to allow the GAA undertake the upgrading of their Cork GAA headquarters, together with enabling further amenity development on the site.

:ball: :ball: :ball:

anybody got a few quid handy ;)

pete
21/07/2004, 4:12 PM
Seems like at least a few years too early for CCFC again. Feckin GAA gonna get another sport amenity in the City.

If FAI/IRFU had their acts together they could sell Musgrave & the Cross for housing & would then have an excellent location for regional technical training centre alongside a 12-15k stadium...?

Storysham
21/07/2004, 4:37 PM
i saw the plans for a 8000 seater concert arena planned for the showgrounds, along with a showjumping arena. cant see any other sports being played there.

pete
21/07/2004, 4:40 PM
Still i suppose CCFC well off getting 8k crowd week in week out.

Unlikely to cost City too much (of its own money) to redevelop both the Shed & St Annes so its not as if would be tied to the cross for ever.

A face
21/07/2004, 6:56 PM
The showgrounds has been bought by the GAA about four years ago for 8 million. Ah .... dont see them letting City have a site on it.

The land fill ... it is hard to do anything in the first ten years because nothing can really be built ... needs to have trees etc. built to counter-act the gas escaping.

1 9 8 4
22/07/2004, 1:10 PM
The land fill ... it is hard to do anything in the first ten years because nothing can really be built ... needs to have trees etc. built to counter-act the gas escaping.

Was there rumours going round that Nemo were getting pitches on the land fill?

BOF
22/07/2004, 1:25 PM
Was there rumours going round that Nemo were getting pitches on the land fill?

Nemo are moving out to the Tramore Rd next to Tramore Athletic

brendan

Pablo
22/07/2004, 4:16 PM
sell the cross..................use the money to develop musgrave park. cant see anyone objecting to that-MFA CCFC or IRFU

BOF
22/07/2004, 4:32 PM
sell the cross..................use the money to develop musgrave park. cant see anyone objecting to that-MFA CCFC or IRFU

Sounds like a plan

brendan

NorthoftheLee
22/07/2004, 4:38 PM

I hope you're joking when you say the MFA wont object...jeez the dinasours couldnt allow that much change in one go!!

Pablo
22/07/2004, 4:40 PM
in an ideal world if everybody put their mind to it their could be a modern 20,000 seat stadium just accross the road from the cross to suit the MFA City and Munster

Real ale Madrid
22/07/2004, 6:03 PM
in an ideal world if everybody put their mind to it their could be a modern 20,000 seat stadium just accross the road from the cross to suit the MFA City and Munster

especially as soccer is mostly in the Summer and rugby the winter - it makes perfect sense now but it'll take 20 years for anyone in MFA/IRFU to catch on.

thecorner
23/07/2004, 1:55 AM

IF ONLY WE OWNDED IT :mad:

Peadar
23/07/2004, 9:33 AM
GAA in race for Cork showgrounds
21/07/2004 - 14:45:23

The Munster Agricultural Show Society today confirmed it is awaiting details of two probable bids for its showgrounds in Cork city.

One proposal envisages a potential 5,000-seat conference centre on the site in Blackrock, while the second proposal is from the GAA.

6 days after my post, this story breaks?
Think someone from the Munster Agricultural Show Society must have got worried about the buying power of Cork City FC after their European Oddessey :D
The City Council should enforce restrictions on any development to ensure that the entire county benefits. The greedy cow groomers should be given minimum compensation and the lease terminated.
In many ways we're very European and can compete on many levels but where sport is concerned we're a third world nation.

City Hero
23/07/2004, 12:40 PM
Story in de paper today about Munster plans for a new 30,000 seat stadium on the Cork side of Limerick. It's all action around this topic parts these days.

Musgrave park is an ideal location waiting to be developed, but no matter what the future holds, you're talking about millions of euro :( , so needs the backing/agreement of a lot of bodies to make anything major possible (except the GAA, they have so much money it's unbelievable).