PDA

View Full Version : Stone Roses Reunion

Wolfie
18/10/2011, 12:55 PM
More Rumours of a Stone Roses reunion circulating.

Due to emulate Blur's renunion and play some gigs next summer, one of which is a massive gig in Heaton Park, Manchester.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/59839

Stuttgart88
18/10/2011, 3:19 PM
Confirmed on BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15348374

Must dig out my hoody.

Macy
18/10/2011, 6:14 PM
Really not sure about this one - I'll reserve judgement until I see do I manage to get tickets or not :)

SkStu
18/10/2011, 10:22 PM
brilliant news. Will be making it my business to get to one of their shows.

YESSSS!!!!!

Macy
19/10/2011, 8:25 AM
As I said yesterday, I have reservations. However, I watched the full press conference last night, and if the shows are as entertaining they'll be bloody brilliant. I'll throw in a couple of caveats - they're being very cagey on releasing the ticket price. And the scrot and clueless cockney count could be pretty high for the Heaton Park gigs.

Probably unfounded, but I see rumours about Slane 2012 are circulating. Not sure they'd fill it - maybe if they put on a full on manc bill?

Dublin12
19/10/2011, 1:27 PM
I wouldn't be getting to excited about the gigs, I've seen them at the Ally Pally, Spike Island, Reading and in Dublin and they were all crap, mind you, they were so out of it then and they have stopped doing all that now so maybe the gigs will be more professional, lets wait and see. Im more looking forward to the new stuff they will record.

Macy
19/10/2011, 2:08 PM
For what it's worth, I've seen them three times and I wouldn't say there was a bad gig amongst them. Browns vocal "issues" are overplayed imo, and not really noticeable in the mindst of the atmosphere of a gig.

Wolfie
19/10/2011, 4:14 PM
I wouldn't be getting to excited about the gigs, I've seen them at the Ally Pally, Spike Island, Reading and in Dublin and they were all crap, mind you, they were so out of it then and they have stopped doing all that now so maybe the gigs will be more professional, lets wait and see. Im more looking forward to the new stuff they will record.

For what it's worth, I've seen them three times and I wouldn't say there was a bad gig amongst them. Browns vocal "issues" are overplayed imo, and not really noticeable in the mindst of the atmosphere of a gig.

I think part of the Roses appeal was that Ian Brown was a "Front Man" as opposed to just the lead singer (if that makes any sense!!).

His attitude, his look, how he delivered and what he was singing about in the songs almost outweighed the ropey vocals.

Would Ian Brown or Bob Dylan pass the X Factor audition??

I think sometimes too much emphasis can be placed on perfect vocal delivery which can sometimes be boring as hell.

BonnieShels
19/10/2011, 6:16 PM
Don't get me started on Dylan...

I feel like I'm missing out here... mainly because I didn't care the first time. Even throughout college I didn't care.

I'll just listen to Slowdive. *sigh*

Wolfie
21/10/2011, 12:19 PM
225,000 tickets sold in an hour.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2051767/Stone-Roses-tickets-Reunion-frenzy-225-000-sell-hour.html

Macy
21/10/2011, 1:37 PM
Didn't bother trying in the end. Decided there'd be too many nobheads. Will try for any irish gigs, and hopefully indoor shows.

Wolfie
23/11/2011, 1:01 PM
Wonder who'd be good support Acts for the Manchester gigs??

I'd like to see DOVES as support, Noel Gallagher's HFB's, Inspirals for novelty value.

Wolfie
24/05/2012, 12:33 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/may/24/stone-roses-review
Roses played their first gig in 16 years last night.

Beavis
31/05/2012, 2:47 PM
I think part of the Roses appeal was that Ian Brown was a "Front Man" as opposed to just the lead singer (if that makes any sense!!).

His attitude, his look, how he delivered and what he was singing about in the songs almost outweighed the ropey vocals.

Would Ian Brown or Bob Dylan pass the X Factor audition??

I think sometimes too much emphasis can be placed on perfect vocal delivery which can sometimes be boring as hell.

He's a good muscian but c'mon, he's an awful singer ! If his vocal quality is so unimportant how come his poor singing has been so carefully hidden over on all the albums? I've seen him live 3 or 4 times. The one in Phoenix Park tent he repeatedly stopped songs and started again because he was so badly out of tune. Call a spade a spade, he's bad and it's embarrassing but it's not enough to significantly detract from the quality the Roses' or his solo work.

Macy
31/05/2012, 3:05 PM
I personally think hit and miss would be fairer to Brown's vocals. I've heard him be good, bad and indifferent over the years between roses and solo gigs. Not sure it's ever really taken away that much from the performances though - for example, at feile 95 he sounds pretty ropey on recording, but I doubt many down on the pitch noticed during the actual gig (I certainly didn't!). Supposedly he's given up smoking, which might have an impact as well.

Wolfie
01/06/2012, 12:42 PM
He's a good muscian but c'mon, he's an awful singer ! If his vocal quality is so unimportant how come his poor singing has been so carefully hidden over on all the albums? I've seen him live 3 or 4 times. The one in Phoenix Park tent he repeatedly stopped songs and started again because he was so badly out of tune. Call a spade a spade, he's bad and it's embarrassing but it's not enough to significantly detract from the quality the Roses' or his solo work.

Never suggested he was anything other than a poor singer live but my point is that the band became very influential partly due to Browns look, attitude and how he "fronted" the band live. The bloke has stage presence.

Secondly, he's backed up by the best lead guitarist of a generation and one of the best rhythm sections of all time.

I saw them live at Feile 95 and noone was getting hung up on Browns singing that night.

Beavis
01/06/2012, 10:24 PM
Never suggested he was anything other than a poor singer live but my point is that the band became very influential partly due to Browns look, attitude and how he "fronted" the band live. The bloke has stage presence.

Secondly, he's backed up by the best lead guitarist of a generation and one of the best rhythm sections of all time.

Yeah agree with that. He’s definitely a big part of their image though I couldn’t care less about it, wtf has look and attitude got to do with how they sound? Still, I'm not naive enough to think that it hasn't contributed hugely to their success. More important though I’d say is his contribution to the music. Given the differing post-Roses career routes of Ian Brown and John Squire, it’s likely he had a much bigger input into the Roses sound than is commonly attributed to him.

Not sure it's ever really taken away that much from the performances though - for example, at feile 95 he sounds pretty ropey on recording, but I doubt many down on the pitch noticed during the actual gig (I certainly didn't!).

I saw them live at Feile 95 and noone was getting hung up on Browns singing that night.

Personally, while I'd be having great craic because the music is great, it still takes away from the experience if the band are putting in a below par performance. Surely yous can appreciate a band at the top of their game against one that is off key (pun not intended)?

Vocal quality is relevant and if it was apparent on a studio album it would be a problem. My guess is they must have had to do a lot of takes to ensure his inadequacies didn't surface. Ever listen to the live in Japan one? You can’t listen to it for anything other than its comedic value (the start of the I Am the Resurrection chorus has me in stitches).

SkStu
12/06/2012, 11:55 PM
Rumors of trouble at the gig in Amsterdam. Rein walked off complaining about the sound, went straight to the airport and home apparently. Squire supposed to have called it off as well. Brown came on when they were supposed to be doing an encore and called Reni a Cnut. Disappointing if true but it was always a possibility that things could go sour and fast...

Wolfie
13/06/2012, 12:58 PM
QUOTE=SkStu;1603326]Rumors of trouble at the gig in Amsterdam. Rein walked off complaining about the sound, went straight to the airport and home apparently. Squire supposed to have called it off as well. Brown came on when they were supposed to be doing an encore and called Reni a Cnut. Disappointing if true but it was always a possibility that things could go sour and fast...[/QUOTE]

Hopefully just a tiff - better be I've my Heaton Park Ticket and flight sorted!!!

http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/64288[

Macy
30/06/2012, 10:29 AM
Well Brown pretty much nailed it last night imo. Very occasional moments but generally no issues. Brilliant gig - can't wait to do it all over again on Thursday!

tetsujin1979
30/06/2012, 11:10 AM
Going on thursday night myself, one of my "bucket list" acts crossed off!

CraftyToePoke
30/06/2012, 3:17 PM
Going to Heaton Park tomorrow, friends who were there last night were really impressed, seems they nailed it. Cannot wait.

BonnieShels
30/06/2012, 6:42 PM
Heard some great things about the gig last night. Best of luck tonight!

Wolfie
30/06/2012, 7:24 PM
Great gig!!! They nailed it. Put those 4 together and they are just quality.

Take a bow Reni!! What a performance. John Squire was great as well, particularly on Fools Gold. Outstanding.

Mani - didn't put a foot wrong. A top man.

Ian - played a blinder. Vocals were great and was a true front man.

Roll on Thursday!!!

Wolfie
03/07/2012, 6:53 PM
Heading to Roses gig in Phoenix Park Thursday.

The Heaton Park gig was great on Friday but I've a feeling the Irish crowd will be even more up for it!!

The song selection for the set is great. Only 2 Second Coming tracks made the cut and made way for classic B sides such as Mersey Paradise, Standing Here and Somethings Burning.

"Where Angels Play" got an airing also. That was released by Silvertone as a B side to an unauthorized single release of I Wanna be Adored in 1991. This tune was intended for the 1991 album they never got to record.

They might switch around the set for Dublin. Elephant Stone, Going Down, What the World is Waiting For and One Love
didn't feature in Manchester.

Roll on Thursday!!!

Macy
03/07/2012, 7:29 PM
Where angels play into shoot you down was one of those i really wanted from this tour. not sure anyone but reni could really pull it off anyway.

Wolfie
03/07/2012, 8:06 PM
Where angels play into shoot you down was one of those i really wanted from this tour. not sure anyone but reni could really pull it off anyway.

Reni's drumming was a revelation. I thought the musicianship from Reni, Mani and John on "Don't Stop" was just a joy to witness.

Macy
03/07/2012, 8:31 PM
They were just brilliant. can't wait until Thursday.

CraftyToePoke
04/07/2012, 2:18 AM
Was truly blown away in Heaton Park on Sunday night. Grew up on this band, have collected almost obsessively their available work but never thought I'd see them live. When it came to pass, I had prepared myself that it will be great to see them, even if they aren't all they once were, but there was no need as they were astounding. The musicianship is superb and while not wanting to single anyone out, Reni has to be seen to be believed.

Wish I was in Dublin this week, I would pay touts prices even to see them again. To anyone who's going, enjoy it.

Magicme
05/07/2012, 1:02 AM
Am just so excited. I haven't allowed myself to read any reviews or look at any clips til now coz it would've been an unbearable wait but today's the day I have spent over 20years waiting for. How do I sleep??? This is THE one. It's what the world was waiting for. Anyone else going have fun and if u see me come say hello.

tetsujin1979
05/07/2012, 9:59 AM
I knew there was a reason I never threw out my mid-90's sun hat. Today is that reason.

Magicme
05/07/2012, 10:33 AM
Is there sun in Dublin?

Macy
05/07/2012, 10:45 AM
Ignoring my sarcasm meter, but it is a lovely day here at the moment. Sun hats needed to be cool and keep cool :)

ArdeeBhoy
05/07/2012, 10:48 AM
Mate in Manchester said good, but a rip-off. Other pal who's a music producer of that genre said now it's just about the latter and a money-making exercise.

tetsujin1979
05/07/2012, 10:48 AM
Is there sun in Dublin?little overcast in Sandyford at the moment, but it's warm and bright.

Macy
05/07/2012, 11:32 AM
Pre-gig pints, you say? Don't mind if I do... Off to the pub now :)

CraftyToePoke
05/07/2012, 11:55 AM
Mate in Manchester said good, but a rip-off. Other pal who's a music producer of that genre said now it's just about the latter and a money-making exercise.

Worth every penny the other night in my opinion, and judging by the atmosphere in there the majority would say the same. Good luck to them if they make a few bob as well considering the glut of bands who followed and made millions from basically aping them.

Neish
05/07/2012, 2:08 PM
Sold my Phoenix Park ticket and heading to Belfast gig in August instead. Will have to wait a bit longer but just can't afford a day out a present, anyone heading to the gig tonight hope you enjoy

Longfordian
06/07/2012, 1:42 AM
Absolutely class. Delighted I went, despite nearly losing my shoe in the mud a few times. Squire, Mani and Reni on form are something else.

Magicme
06/07/2012, 6:23 AM
What a nite! Despite falling in mud and doing an already fragile ankle in and banjaxing my knee, it was one of the best nites of my life. I think its only sinking in that I got to see the roses live now, along with the fear of not being able to drive home.

Macy
06/07/2012, 10:26 AM
I thought the band were top notch, and again thought Browns voice held up ok. A few bum notes, but generally ok.

I thought the crowd had a high knobhead count though, and it really took the gloss of for me. We had a couple of incidents of people kicking off for no reason.

Whilst the bar's were better organised than Heaton Park, I wasn't at all impressed with the general organisation. Especially on exiting. I don't mind the walk, but I don't know how they get away with no lights on exit routes. Whilst they can't help the rain, and I was prepared, it's still pretty shocking that they can get away with the site being such a state for concert one of a run of gigs. And the stage was on the bloody high side of the slope, which effected the view.

On reflection I would've stayed on for a second night in Manchester rather than bothering with the Dublin gig. The band were as good, but the overall experience was poor for me. I don't think I'd go back to a gig in the Park.

Wolfie
06/07/2012, 2:03 PM
The bands performance outweighed the usual hassle that accompanies outdoor events of that size.

They're showing up bands half they're age. The band seemed blown away by the crowd reaction. If anything, I think Dublin was more partisan than Manchester!! Then again, I was nearer the action so might just be my view if it!!

A great night - hopefully a DVD release for Christmas.

Sometimes the T in the Park is televised. Roses headlining.

This is more than just a big pay day. The band have been offered millions to reform for 15 years.

If they were just going through the motions, it would show in their performance. There is no feeling of "the meters running" from these gigs.

The dream is a 3rd album that has the ambition to be their best work. A tall order but they've played a blinder so far.....

Lev Yashin
06/07/2012, 2:39 PM
I thought the band were top notch, and again thought Browns voice held up ok. A few bum notes, but generally ok.

I thought the crowd had a high knobhead count though, and it really took the gloss of for me. We had a couple of incidents of people kicking off for no reason.

Whilst the bar's were better organised than Heaton Park, I wasn't at all impressed with the general organisation. Especially on exiting. I don't mind the walk, but I don't know how they get away with no lights on exit routes. Whilst they can't help the rain, and I was prepared, it's still pretty shocking that they can get away with the site being such a state for concert one of a run of gigs. And the stage was on the bloody high side of the slope, which effected the view.

On reflection I would've stayed on for a second night in Manchester rather than bothering with the Dublin gig. The band were as good, but the overall experience was poor for me. I don't think I'd go back to a gig in the Park.

They must have been utter sh!te in Manchester. I thought the organisation was shocking as mentioned above the pitch black walk back was a disgrace.

But the performance of the band was sensational...there wasn't a single moment where you wanted a song to end.
Delighted to have seen them live and seen them live when they were on form.

Bring on a new album. Please!

Oh and how good is John Squire!!!! Crikey!!!!

Neish
06/07/2012, 2:58 PM
T
Sometimes the T in the Park is televised. Roses headlining.
Its on BBC3 as far as I know

Macy
06/07/2012, 3:10 PM
They must have been utter sh!te in Manchester. I thought the organisation was shocking as mentioned above the pitch black walk back was a disgrace.
They were - at least on the friday night. I don't know whether I timed it right, or went to a different bar to everyone else giving out (I went to the one on the right if you were looking from the stage), but I didn't really have to queue - I just had to do the zig zag line thing.

We were discussing the walk back in in work between a few of us that went - it's really quite dangerous and there's potential for quite serious incidents (looking at some of the women falling around the place drunk). There was no security at all on that walk that I could see. Once you were out of the concert arena the organisers just washed their hands of the crowds.

Magicme
06/07/2012, 4:09 PM
It was bloody awful getting out, mud up past our ankles and when tried to check where the buses were parked with security, my boyfriend was told the opposite direction to where his bus was and only he remembered he would still be In the park.

I fell, not through drunkenness but through slipping in mud even though I was holding my fellas hand and my mates hand. Also was gutted some clown knocked one of my beers outta my hand when walking back from a twenty minute wait at the bar.

Neish
24/08/2012, 11:20 PM
Saw them in Belfast on Wednesday night, absolutely amazing performance. Only got into the Stone Roses in the late 90's so had thought I never see them live so was really looking forward to it and they didn't disappoint one of the best gig I've been to. Can't complain about the organisation either took about 10-15 min to get a drink at the bar anytime I was there maybe 20 min at the most but thats decent for most gig I've been at toilet were decent too