PDA

View Full Version : Shels v Sligo FAI Cup final - Lansdowne Road 6th Nov

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

TiocfaidhArmani
17/10/2011, 8:38 PM
What a day it will be, a sea of Red if ever there was one!

bomber82290
17/10/2011, 8:45 PM
oh yeah bring it on 3rd final in a row

Nah Nah Nah Nah
17/10/2011, 9:15 PM
Revenge for 1939!

Rover'n'out
17/10/2011, 11:15 PM
What a day it will be, a sea of Red if ever there was one!

I hope you are right. I expect we will bring something like the 12-13,000 we brought last year. The general consensus is Shels would be lucky to have 3 - 4,000? The tickets are priced very keenly again this year so hopefully a good number of neutrals attend.

Rasputin
18/10/2011, 8:29 AM
Id be surprised if we brought the same amount as last season.

marinobohs
18/10/2011, 10:23 AM
Id be surprised if we brought the same amount as last season.

Tickets are reasonably priced (10 euro adults, 5 euro kids) which should help attract a decent crowd. Expect a decent crowd from Sligo, even if it is the 3rd final in a row (enjoy it while it lasts) and Shels would have a lot of dormant support around the area which I expect will come out on the day. Usual day trippers and a few of us thinking "if only" (damn you Sligo :mad:)

TiocfaidhArmani
18/10/2011, 12:11 PM
Anybody know what the Premium seats will cost? If they're not that much extra would love access to a bar before and during the game.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
18/10/2011, 12:18 PM
Anybody know what the Premium seats will cost? If they're not that much extra would love access to a bar before and during the game.

Think they were €30 last year

brendy_éire
18/10/2011, 12:44 PM
Had a great day last year now, delighted that they've kept the same price structure.

Jofspring
18/10/2011, 3:57 PM
Plenty of neutrals from all the other Dublin clubs too I'm sure.

Might make the trip myself and I'm sure a few more limerick fans too.

Dave_SRFC
18/10/2011, 6:40 PM
Will be about 15,000 there...

CSFShels
18/10/2011, 7:55 PM
You think Shamrock Rovers are worth 21 thousand to the crowd? Ambitious but foolish.

shellyriver
18/10/2011, 8:01 PM
What are the odds on Rovers winning two-on-the-trot? Hope this game will be a safe bet for Sligo fans!

CSFShels
18/10/2011, 8:02 PM
What are the odds on Rovers winning two-on-the-trot? Hope this game will be a safe bet for Sligo fans!
2/7, you may win but I can't imagine that it will be anything other than difficult for your lot.

born2bwild
18/10/2011, 10:13 PM
Sligo will lose.
Conan Byrne, Colly James, Stephen Paisley, Lorcan Fitzgerald and Kevin Dawson all know very well how to beat Sligo in the FAI cup final.
(Dawson was an unused sub, I think, but you get the point)

shellyriver
18/10/2011, 10:28 PM
Sligo will lose.
Conan Byrne, Colly James, Stephen Paisley, Lorcan Fitzgerald and Kevin Dawson all know very well how to beat Sligo in the FAI cup final.
(Dawson was an unused sub, I think, but you get the point)

Oh, so you give Shels a sporting chance. That game was a Dick Turpin special. Anyways, I think you might have missed the point, but with Sligo Rovers overwhelming favourites, considering Shels involvement I'd have a punt that the Cup with be crossing the Garavogue.

born2bwild
18/10/2011, 10:47 PM
Oh, so you give Shels a sporting chance. That game was a Dick Turpin special. Anyways, I think you might have missed the point, but with Sligo Rovers overwhelming favourites, considering Shels involvement I'd have a punt that the Cup with be crossing the Garavogue.
Sligo are 'overwhelming' favourites only if you haven't closely watched both divisions all season.

Shels' best back four is as strong as Sligo's.

Sligo have got Richie Ryan and N'Do and that is a serious plus.

Sligo don't have anyone with the striking threat that David Cassidy and Philly Hughes carry in combination.

Honestly, I've looked and followed Sligo a lot this year (went up to Sligo to see them play Shams, saw them in Dundalk, Dalymount and Tallaght twice, actually supported them fanatically in Europe and saw them in Tolka, of course) and I like the team. They should have done much better against Poltava at home (should have won in Ukraine) but I reckon Shels are getting second wind now and there is not much between the sides at all.

2009 - Dick Turpin? Rubbish. You've got to play the game for the whole duration or you risk losing.

shellyriver
19/10/2011, 12:04 AM
Read between the lines...maybe I should have highlighted the key words ie ...odds...safe bet...favourites...punt...etc, etc. Just winding you up.

Looking forward to the Final, watched Shels v Pats, and Shels v Cork - jeez RTE did ye proud -- so have some idea of what Shels are like.

We're in Europe, again. Everything, else is gravy. Ps - please tell me the Libyan didn't collapse like he had been pole-axed with a gamma-ray stun gun for outrageous peno? Did you see that one?

PS -- what is max number of Shels fans that will come to game?k I estimate at least 10,000 Sligo (possibly 12,000) and maybe 2,000 neutrals? Hope there is about 20k in attendance.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
19/10/2011, 7:30 AM
We were very, very lucky to get a win in the league cup and that was against half of a Shels team so it should take away any fear of complacency.

Certainly think we've a better defence and midfield then Shels but lack a bit up front but to be honest that's probably the way it is against most teams we've played this season.

2/7 odds are a bit of a joke though. 1/2 would probably be about right

hoops1
19/10/2011, 8:15 AM
Sligo should win. But one thing is certain Joey Ndo will get MOM if he plays.

sligored
19/10/2011, 9:36 AM
Sligo are 'overwhelming' favourites only if you haven't closely watched both divisions all season.

Sligo don't have anyone with the striking threat that David Cassidy and Philly Hughes carry in combination.

Honestly, I've looked and followed Sligo a lot this year (went up to Sligo to see them play Shams, saw them in Dundalk, Dalymount and Tallaght twice, actually supported them fanatically in Europe and saw them in Tolka, of course) and I like the team. They should have done much better against Poltava at home (should have won in Ukraine) but I reckon Shels are getting second wind now and there is not much between the sides at all.

2009 - Dick Turpin? Rubbish. You've got to play the game for the whole duration or you risk losing.

just in case you hadnt noticed eoin doyle has scored 18 goals in this years premier division - more than north , twigg , sheppard , kilduff , quigley or fagan and only bettered by zayed

http://www.worldfootball.net/torjaeger/irl-airtricity-league-2011/

Philly hughes or david cassidy might be a good combination at 1st division level.
If they were any good they would have been signed by a premier league team at the start of the year.

1st time post
19/10/2011, 9:49 AM

Your usually one of the more logical posters on here but have to take issues with a couple of things you say.
Firstly, i dont care how many times your strongest back 4 have played together or what but theres no way you can claim that its on a par with ours given we have played 34 games in the league this year and only conceded 17 goals. I think your record is something like 21 in 27, not far off a goal a game in a lower division.
Secondly, while we could have beaten Poltava in Ukraine they were on a completely different level when playing us in the Showgrounds. We gave them a scare over there but it certainly woke them up for second leg and remember we could easily have been 3-0 down after a half hour over there.
I do agree with ya though that whoever think it will be a walk in the park is nuts. I do hope that ye get promoted automatically because i think if ye had to play the playoff 3 days after the final it would take away a bit from the occasion. Is the first leg the wed before aswell??

CMcC
19/10/2011, 9:59 AM
Tickets are reasonably priced (10 euro adults, 5 euro kids) which should help attract a decent crowd. Expect a decent crowd from Sligo, even if it is the 3rd final in a row (enjoy it while it lasts) and Shels would have a lot of dormant support around the area which I expect will come out on the day. Usual day trippers and a few of us thinking "if only" (damn you Sligo :mad:)

But remember last years final had the added novelty value of being a lot of people's first visit to the stadium. There was a serious amount of neutral day trippers who went as it was their first time in the new ground.

Mr A
19/10/2011, 10:01 AM
I hope Shels win the cup and somebody from the FAI makes a speech like the one in Father Ted when he gets the Golden Cleric.

"Shels win this having overcome past allegations of irregularities, but despite bizarre irregularities in betting patterns, no charges were ever brought."

That would be epic.

legendz
19/10/2011, 10:48 AM
It's great to see Shels back. They are still a big name in Irish football. Generally in areas like Kerry etc. outside of the League of Ireland community, Shels and Bohs are held in a high regard.

born2bwild
19/10/2011, 11:11 AM
Your usually one of the more logical posters on here but have to take issues with a couple of things you say.
Firstly, i dont care how many times your strongest back 4 have played together or what but theres no way you can claim that its on a par with ours given we have played 34 games in the league this year and only conceded 17 goals. I think your record is something like 21 in 27, not far off a goal a game in a lower division.
Secondly, while we could have beaten Poltava in Ukraine they were on a completely different level when playing us in the Showgrounds. We gave them a scare over there but it certainly woke them up for second leg and remember we could easily have been 3-0 down after a half hour over there.
I do agree with ya though that whoever think it will be a walk in the park is nuts. I do hope that ye get promoted automatically because i think if ye had to play the playoff 3 days after the final it would take away a bit from the occasion. Is the first leg the wed before aswell??
That last post seemed perfectly sensible when I put it up. It does seem a bit over the top in places. Still, Shels are not a first division team. St Pat's were beaten by them over two matches with dodgy reffing evenly balanced out.
What happened to Sligo in Richmond last week?

Nah Nah Nah Nah
19/10/2011, 12:19 PM
That last post seemed perfectly sensible when I put it up. It does seem a bit over the top in places. Still, Shels are not a first division team. St Pat's were beaten by them over two matches with dodgy reffing evenly balanced out.
What happened to Sligo in Richmond last week?

We played against 11. So unfair.

El-Pietro
19/10/2011, 12:23 PM
Still, Shels are not a first division team.

Of course they are, they've had 4 or 5 opportunities to get out of the division and haven't yet taken one.

Pretty sure the table reads that Shels are a first division team

born2bwild
19/10/2011, 12:52 PM
Of course they are, they've had 4 or 5 opportunities to get out of the division and haven't yet taken one.

Oh yeah, just checked the tables there. You're right! Shels are curently in the 1st division. I was wondering why all the away matches were in places like Drom and Fahy's Field and not Dalyer and Tallaght. Thanks for clearing that up.

hoops1
19/10/2011, 1:19 PM

Since when did league tables mean anything in LOI?

TiocfaidhArmani
19/10/2011, 1:37 PM
Shels as a club are a Premier Division club, we were demoted, not relgated. Our first year back we lost all our players bar one so we had to throw a team together in two weeks, we were on the back foot from the off.

We'll be back soon where we belong and European football would be the cherry on top!

El-Pietro
19/10/2011, 1:51 PM
Shels as a club are a Premier Division club, we were demoted, not relgated. Our first year back we lost all our players bar one so we had to throw a team together in two weeks, we were on the back foot from the off.

We'll be back soon where we belong and European football would be the cherry on top!
2007, 2008, 2008, 2010...

If Shels were a Premier Division club as you say then they would have been promoted by now.

Maybe they will take their opportunity this time around, (though they seem to be doing everything they can to stay down here) and if they do then they will be considered a Premier club but its not like Derry or Shamrock Rovers who were down in this division and got out at the first opportunity.

born2bwild
19/10/2011, 2:17 PM
2007, 2008, 2008, 2010...

If Shels were a Premier Division club as you say then they would have been promoted by now.

Maybe they will take their opportunity this time around, (though they seem to be doing everything they can to stay down here) and if they do then they will be considered a Premier club but its not like Derry or Shamrock Rovers who were down in this division and got out at the first opportunity.
I would agree with you up to a point. 2007-10 Shels were not, on the field, at the level of the Premier clubs. This year they are at that level. As are Cork. And both will be in the top tier next March.
Even if Limerick are not promoted they are, in terms of ability, a premier league club.

TiocfaidhArmani
19/10/2011, 2:19 PM
Other clubs didn't go into the First Division after basically losing all their players and having to throw together a squad in two weeks taking on anyone that would join us. I think we've had a share amount of bad luck, which is typical Shels, but point taken.

El-Pietro
19/10/2011, 2:25 PM
Our first year back we lost all our players bar one so we had to throw a team together in two weeks, we were on the back foot from the off.

Just spotted this part - we had 8 days to put a team together last year after doing everythign we could to remain a Premier Club, debts and all, and it showed last season.

We now look like going up at the second opportunity. We're still not a Premier Club even if I think we will do very well if promoted.

I would agree with you up to a point. 2007-10 Shels were not, on the field, at the level of the Premier clubs. This year they are at that level. As are Cork. And both will be in the top tier next March.
Even if Limerick are not promoted they are, in terms of ability, a premier league club.
Thats not true though is it. If Limerick or any other club don't get promoted then any of their players who don't have contracts for next year will be given opportunities with Premier Clubs.

More so Shels and Mons than any of the other clubs do to their location. If they don't have contracts then the likes of Cassidy will have plenty offers next season for example, Conan Byrne etc

S.E.P.1990
19/10/2011, 2:56 PM
Just spotted this part - we had 8 days to put a team together last year after doing everythign we could to remain a Premier Club, debts and all, and it showed last season.

We now look like going up at the second opportunity. We're still not a Premier Club even if I think we will do very well if promoted.

Thats not true though is it. If Limerick or any other club don't get promoted then any of their players who don't have contracts for next year will be given opportunities with Premier Clubs.

More so Shels and Mons than any of the other clubs do to their location. If they don't have contracts then the likes of Cassidy will have plenty offers next season for example, Conan Byrne etc

But is it not easier for a team in cork to bounce back quicker? Its easier to keep players as there is no competition from a higher division team, all your nearest rivals are in the same division. All of our rivals are in the premier division meaning we are competing with them to put a squad together.

Both Derry and Rovers started with a blank canvas with no debt.

CSFShels
19/10/2011, 2:57 PM
Discussing Shels and Cork's situations are not discussing like for like. In our second season after the stability season, there was only 1 team promoted. If only 1 team was promoted this season, chances are it wouldn't be Cork. 2009 we really should have gone up, no excuses there. 2010 nobody had a hope of beating Derry, illustrated by how well a very similar squad is doing in the Premier division. This season, we're very likely to go up. Again may I point out that we did not have the luxury of ditching our debts, starting a new club and still getting a spot in the First Division.

S.E.P.1990
19/10/2011, 3:01 PM
Plus, and this is not having a go, but when you reformed as Foras didn't you lose some/all of the debt of the previous Cork entity??

El-Pietro
19/10/2011, 3:20 PM
Plus, and this is not having a go, but when you reformed as Foras didn't you lose some/all of the debt of the previous Cork entity??
we did, but only after exhausting every avenue to keep the old business alive

as for teams not having a hope of beating Derry, didn't Waterford and Mons run them close?

And we will be going up in second place at worst, Champions if Limerick do us a favour

S.E.P.1990
19/10/2011, 3:27 PM

as for teams not having a hipe ogf beating Derry, didn't Waterford and Mons run them close?

And we will be going up in second place at worst, Champions if Limerick do us a favour

So thats a yes :rolleyes:

Run them close (as did we) but didnt go up either.

Congrats. If you finish 2nd, then you will match were we finished in 2008 (our second season down here) and in 2009. When there was only 1 auto promotion.

CSFShels
19/10/2011, 3:55 PM

as for teams not having a hope of beating Derry, didn't Waterford and Mons run them close?

Seriously hope some of that ridiculous over-confidence is shared by your team.

pineapple stu
19/10/2011, 4:04 PM
Other clubs didn't go into the First Division after basically losing all their players and having to throw together a squad in two weeks taking on anyone that would join us. I think we've had a share amount of bad luck, which is typical Shels, but point taken.
We lost most of our first-team squad after relegation in 2008 and still won the league in 2009, with much smaller budgets than ye and Fingal. So I don't think that argument holds any water at this stage.

Schumi
19/10/2011, 4:32 PM
outside of the League of Ireland community, Shels and Bohs are held in a high regard.

Only because they've never met them.

sligored
19/10/2011, 4:41 PM
whats this got to do with the fai cup final - take this nonsense to the first division thread

pineapple stu
19/10/2011, 5:33 PM
Only because they've never met them.
A first post in 4½ months, and it was worth waiting for! :p

BonnieShels
19/10/2011, 6:27 PM
We lost most of our first-team squad after relegation in 2008 and still won the league in 2009, with much smaller budgets than ye and Fingal. So I don't think that argument holds any water at this stage.

It does if people like you don't come along with their facts. Sheesh Stu!

BonnieShels
19/10/2011, 6:28 PM
Anyway, it's going to be a great day out. Easily better than when we won the LSC last year!

born2bwild
19/10/2011, 6:46 PM
Yeah, but you had Ronan Finn.

hoops1
19/10/2011, 8:48 PM
Just watched the first peno and sending off. That sums up refereeing in this country. Laughable.

Dewie101
19/10/2011, 9:12 PM
It's great to see Shels back. They are still a big name in Irish football. Generally in areas like Kerry etc. outside of the League of Ireland community, Shels and Bohs are held in a high regard.

assuming everyone in Tralee only caught wind of the LOI from the 90's on, two small clubs with little or no fanbase both thriving of the downfall of the mighty Drums.