PDA

View Full Version : Estonia V Ireland - Friday, 11th November 2011 - Euro 2012 Play Off 1st Leg

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

BonnieShels
14/10/2011, 8:48 AM
I didn't buy from the FAI so I'm screwed.

punkrocket
14/10/2011, 9:04 AM
Just off the phone to the FAI there to see what the story is for season ticket holders and whether we can buy extra tickets. They told me that we would have to wait untill the Armenia only people had a week or so to buy there's then they would be put on general release.
I thought for a minute that season ticket holders were getting shafted and was gearing myself up for a bit of Mentalitee untill he went on to say that Armenia only ticket purchasers can buy no more than the number they bought for the Armenia match, which is fair enough.
If we don't get through though the next friendlies will be hard to sit through.

Lionel Ritchie
14/10/2011, 9:18 AM
Dunno if this question has been asked and answered already but -is there a precedent for a team losing 4 qualifiers making it to the playoffs in the previous four Euros where there's been a playoff? I know we lost three in the Euro 96 qualification.

Just answering my own question here -having trawled back I can't find an instance where a team who lost four games finished within an asses roar of a play-off. It really took an improbable confluence of similtaneous collapses by Slovenia, Serbia and NI to let Estonia in -and YET they won in Serbia, Slovenia and Belfast. That has to be acknowledged and respected.

pineapple stu
14/10/2011, 9:30 AM
Watching the goals video posted earlier, it seems a few of their goals - against Serbia in particular - were hopeful long range strikes which the keeper really should have done better for. Yeah, they had a fair bit of swerve on them, but I'd still hope that Given would prove his worth on those shots, which would be a major boost.

The second goal in Belfast is pure quality though, even allowing for the Nordy players being distracted by the wrong offside call.

Closed Account
14/10/2011, 9:34 AM
Without knowing too much about the games in Serbia, Slovenia and Belfast, were the home team guilty of not giving Estonia enough respect?
On the plus side, it's not something we're likely to be guilty of. Every team we play has the potential to beat us according to some, until we actually beat them, at which point, they become a terrible team.

geysir
14/10/2011, 10:23 AM
I watched 3 of their of their games, one the friendly where they beat Uruguay, where the chill factor was evident as well as the Uruguay goalie.
The game against the Faroes was just one of those days, missed chances, a penalty scored against them either side of half time, then down a man, and not least the destiny factory, the Faroes were destined to win a game. I watched a good bit of the Belfast game (on during the Andorra game), NI were as poor as I have ever seen them, Estonia took complete control in the 2nd half. They looked impressive against a poor team.
Still hard to believe they grabbed 2nd place. Serbia must be going through some strange times.

This is a big deal for Estonia, a new republic with a deep heritage, if I wasn't Irish I'd be rooting for them.

Stuttgart88
14/10/2011, 10:33 AM
Watching the goals video posted earlier, it seems a few of their goals - against Serbia in particular - were hopeful long range strikes which the keeper really should have done better for. Yeah, they had a fair bit of swerve on them, but I'd still hope that Given would prove his worth on those shots, which would be a major boost.

The second goal in Belfast is pure quality though, even allowing for the Nordy players being distracted by the wrong offside call.I watched a bit of the Belfast game and the commentator noted (before the winner) that Estonia had scored more goals from outside the box than any other team in qualifying.

pineapple stu
14/10/2011, 10:52 AM
On the Estonian FA website now that the game is on at 9:45pm on the Friday.

Edit - linky. (http://www.jalgpall.ee/news.php?st=style_fp.css&news_id=3164)

Yard of Pace
14/10/2011, 10:58 AM
If we don't get through though the next friendlies will be hard to sit through.

On the contrary, whether we qualify or not, I reckon the next few friendlies will be really exciting as some of the fringe players and new players are tried and aim to prove their worth with the finals in mind OR we'll probably have a new man in charge and probably a big change in personnel. Hopefully it's the former!

French Toasht
14/10/2011, 10:59 AM
I watched 3 of their of their games, one the friendly where they beat Uruguay, where the chill factor was evident as well as the Uruguay goalie.
The game against the Faroes was just one of those days, missed chances, a penalty scored against them either side of half time, then down a man, and not least the destiny factory, the Faroes were destined to win a game. I watched a good bit of the Belfast game (on during the Andorra game), NI were as poor as I have ever seen them, Estonia took complete control in the 2nd half. They looked impressive against a poor team.
Still hard to believe they grabbed 2nd place. Serbia must be going through some strange times.

This is a big deal for Estonia, a new republic with a deep heritage, if I wasn't Irish I'd be rooting for them.

Em ... you sure that was the case against against the Faroes? Brian Kerr said the Faroe keeper had one save to make in the second half and that it was a comfortable enough victory. Also there may be the destiny factor, but if you are a good enough team you will ensure that doesn't involve you.

lionelhutz
14/10/2011, 10:59 AM
Is that 9.45 Irish time? My Estonian isn't the best!

French Toasht
14/10/2011, 11:03 AM
On the Estonian FA website now that the game is on at 9:45pm on the Friday.

Edit - linky. (http://www.jalgpall.ee/news.php?st=style_fp.css&news_id=3164)

That's 7.45 Irish time, for people who'll be watching at home.

Closed Account 2
14/10/2011, 11:05 AM
If people are thinking of going to the game but finding the flights are very expensive or sold out, you can always go to Helsinki and get the ferry (2hrs / €60 return) from there.

pineapple stu
14/10/2011, 11:14 AM
Sorry yeah - I'm still looking to get out to the match, so I'm thinking in Estonian time. 7:45pm Irish.

The Ryanair flight is still there at E250, so the uptake isn't huge at present.

French Toasht
14/10/2011, 11:15 AM
Interesting stat when Estonia have scored their goals:

Of the 15 goals they have scored:

4 were first half goals and 11 were scored in the second half.

9 goals were scored in the last 20 minutes of the game.

4 goals were scored in injury time.

Can't afford to switch off at all against these lads.

French Toasht
14/10/2011, 11:29 AM
Estonian journalist's view of drawing Ireland:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/2011/1013/estoniaplayoff_av.html

SeanODonovan
14/10/2011, 11:38 AM
I live in London and the affordable way I found was train to East Midlands Parkway on Wednesday night, sleep at airport for a few hours, Ryanair flight at 6:30am to Riga, Latvia, bus from Riga to Tallinn (apparently there is a 3km walk between the last train station in Latvia and the first one in Estonia so a train journey is out) and then the reverse trip on Saturday.
I also found some accomodation in the centre of Tallinn available on Hostelworld.com

geysir
14/10/2011, 11:47 AM
Em ... you sure that was the case against against the Faroes? Brian Kerr said the Faroe keeper had one save to make in the second half and that it was a comfortable enough victory. Also there may be the destiny factor, but if you are a good enough team you will ensure that doesn't involve you.
In the first half the Estonians fluffed 2 top notch gilt-edged chances.
They were not in the game at all in the 2nd half, as I wrote, they were 2 goals down at the start of the 2nd half and then went a man down.

Jicked
14/10/2011, 11:48 AM
Are the FAI not selling Season Tickets as of now? Surely there's plenty of people who to guarantee a ticket for the play-off would buy a package with the 2 or 3 friendly games we'd play at home before Euro 2012 if we qualified. If we don't qualify they'll be back to being played in a near empty stadium. Why haven't the FAI taken advantage of the interest/demand and re-open season ticket sales to try to shift those tickets in case we do go out?

boovidge
14/10/2011, 12:29 PM
Because the tickets are already guaranteed for people who went to Armenia.

BonnieShels
14/10/2011, 12:36 PM
Except those like me who bulk bought with the club and are still not guaranteed their 2 tickets.

Sullivinho
14/10/2011, 1:21 PM
Worthington extends olive branch with offer of inside line on Estonia. (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/worthington-extends-olive-branch-with-offer-of-inside-line-on-estonia-2906288.html)

"If anyone from the FAI or the staff came to me, then of course I would help them in any way," said Worthington.

:D

French Toasht
14/10/2011, 1:24 PM
Worthington extends olive branch with offer of inside line on Estonia. (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/worthington-extends-olive-branch-with-offer-of-inside-line-on-estonia-2906288.html)

:D

Aye Nige because you got it tactically spot on against them alright!

lionelhutz
14/10/2011, 1:25 PM
I'm a block booker since 96 and I'd to miss the Armenia game cause of work. I think it's extremely unfair that some event junkies that went to Armenia game have priority over me.

I took 9 tickets for the Slovakia game and haven't missed a competitive home game in years. I was just speaking to the FAI and they said anyone who bought from their ticketmaster account will be getting an e-mail allowing them to buy tickets but I've no option for tickets unless they go on general sale.

What a load of ******! Rant over

Charlie Darwin
Can you feel the love? :love2:

legendz
Estonia 2-1 Faroe Islands 11 Aug 2010
Estonia scored two goals in injury time to comeback from 0-1 down on 90 minutes.
Faroe Islands 2-0 Estonia 7 June 2011

Had this been an aggregate knock-out score, the Faroes would've gone through 3-2.

boovidge
14/10/2011, 1:45 PM
Yes, but we're not quite as bad as the Faroe Islands!

old git
14/10/2011, 1:49 PM
I'm a block booker since 96 and I'd to miss the Armenia game cause of work. I think it's extremely unfair that some event junkies that went to Armenia game have priority over me.

I took 9 tickets for the Slovakia game and haven't missed a competitive home game in years. I was just speaking to the FAI and they said anyone who bought from their ticketmaster account will be getting an e-mail allowing them to buy tickets but I've no option for tickets unless they go on general sale.

are the tickets not on general sale today with ticketmaster !!

lionelhutz
14/10/2011, 2:07 PM
are the tickets not on general sale today with ticketmaster !!

No only the premium tickets are available on ticketmaster to general public. I was told to give them a ring after October 28th to see if they have any tickets left! Thanks lads

BonnieShels
14/10/2011, 2:53 PM
Can't get through to the FAI at all. If I'm not at the Estonia game I'll flip the lid.

Kingdom
14/10/2011, 3:01 PM

Technically you havent missed a competitive match in days......

If you're stuck keep a watch here, I'm sure some of us will have spares.

punkrocket
14/10/2011, 3:06 PM
Slovakia? sure that was weeks ago.

TiocfaidhArmani
14/10/2011, 3:15 PM
Someone saying it's sold out already, how is that possible?

IsMiseSean
14/10/2011, 3:50 PM
This is the email i received

So presumably, as the game wasn't quite sold out, there will be a limited number of tickets on general sale after this "pre-sale window" ends. Also, being given a password doesn't entitle you to more tickets than you purchased for the Armenia game.

Did you book your ticket from the FAI or Ticketmaster?
I got 3 from the FAI but I've yet to receive an email.

lionelhutz
14/10/2011, 4:01 PM
Technically you havent missed a competitive match in days......

If you're stuck keep a watch here, I'm sure some of us will have spares.

Thanks for the sympathy!!

I e-mailed the ticket office after I spoke to them and I got a reply saying that I'll get details early next week of how I'll be able to book tickets. So hopefully I'll get sorted and if I do, I take back all my ranting!

boovidge
14/10/2011, 4:03 PM
Did you book your ticket from the FAI or Ticketmaster?
I got 3 from the FAI but I've yet to receive an email.

From ticketmaster

BonnieShels
14/10/2011, 4:06 PM
I'm fretting now!!!

lionelhutz
14/10/2011, 4:09 PM
Someone saying it's sold out already, how is that possible?

It's the premium seats that they released to the general public today that are sold out. They've to wait and see how many people who went to the Armenia game take tickets for this game before they release the rest to the general public.

boovidge
14/10/2011, 4:11 PM
I didn't realise that normal price tickets for Armenia had sold out. That's what it says on the FAI website (http://www.fai.ie/home/ticket-centre/102157-euro-2012-play-off-ticketing-information.html).

TiocfaidhArmani
14/10/2011, 4:14 PM
I didn't realise that normal price tickets for Armenia had sold out. That's what it says on the FAI website (http://www.fai.ie/home/ticket-centre/102157-euro-2012-play-off-ticketing-information.html).

Where the 4,800 unsold tickets Premium seats?

boovidge
14/10/2011, 4:15 PM
I'm fretting now!!!

I wouldn't worry about it if you bought from the FAI. When I went to select my seat today alot of the ground was greyed out. My guess is that it was only seats that had been sold through ticketmaster for Armenia that were put on sale today. The FAI are probably just being slow

boovidge
14/10/2011, 4:16 PM
Where the 4,800 unsold tickets Premium seats?

there seemed to be alot of empty green seats scattered amongst the general sale areas. Also I had a look at ticketmaster on the day of the game and there were about 500-1000 free general sale tickets then.

BonnieShels
14/10/2011, 6:20 PM
I wouldn't worry about it if you bought from the FAI. When I went to select my seat today alot of the ground was greyed out. My guess is that it was only seats that had been sold through ticketmaster for Armenia that were put on sale today. The FAI are probably just being slow

I bought from the club. Bought 2 x all qualifiers and bought an extra one for the Armenia game. There's an ambiguous statement on the FAI website now that I'll hold onto for relief.

peadar1987
14/10/2011, 6:33 PM
Edit: Just seen the link on the FAI website. Looks like I'll probably lose out! Ah well...

Predator
14/10/2011, 6:46 PM
How times have changed from the opening international game against Argentina. Stewards were tasked with handing out free tickets that day and they literally couldn't give them away.

BonnieShels
14/10/2011, 7:28 PM
And I paid 50bills for that.
It doesn't pay to be a supporter.

paul_oshea
14/10/2011, 7:33 PM
Ya but at least hopefully there will be a good few johnny come latelys who won't get anything.the proper fans will.

tommy_c12000
14/10/2011, 7:43 PM
I missed the Armenia game but have gone to all the other home games this year (plus I endured all the away games on tv). I wonder if the FAI would make an exception for a "proper fan" . . . . . . . . how many "johnny come latelys" showed up in the Aviva for the first time this season for the Armenia game? Judging by the attendances throughout the year . . . quite a significant number

BonnieShels
14/10/2011, 7:56 PM
Ya but at least hopefully there will be a good few johnny come latelys who won't get anything.the proper fans will.

Based on what?

I hope not but as of now I've got nothing.

ArdeeBhoy
15/10/2011, 12:47 AM
I have a contact who I can ask if someone wants to start a ticket thread...

My advice is to rather waste time moaning on here, embellish yer stories and keep sending to The FAI.
There are bound to be a few returns anyway, though they probably won't appear till the day?
Which isn't much use if you live outside The Pale....