PDA

View Full Version : Ireland shirts.

tricky_colour
14/07/2004, 1:08 AM
I just found the below text on a site selling Ireland shirts.
Whose name would you have on your shirt, I guess Keane is
a good compromise, but I don't really want to open that particular
can of worms again. :rolleyes:

=================
Since taking over as national coach, Brian Kerr has transformed Ireland into one of the most consistent sides in Europe. Star players include Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Matt Holland and John O'Shea. Supplier: UMBRO Fabric: 100% breathable polyester
===================

brine3
14/07/2004, 11:43 AM
I'd only buy a shirt if there was no Eircom logo on it.

NeilMcD
14/07/2004, 11:48 AM
i agree but the fact is the FAI need the money from Eircom to finance the grassroots of the game and running costs etc. As a result Eircom insist that there name goes on the replica shirts.

brine3
14/07/2004, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't mind if it was a smallish logo on the chest or on the sleeve, but it's massive!!

liam88
14/07/2004, 5:13 PM
I'd only buy a shirt if there was no Eircom logo on it.

What shirt do you wear to Ireland games at the moment?

John83
14/07/2004, 8:58 PM
What shirt do you wear to Ireland games at the moment?I've worn a Barca jersey to one game! I won't buy a jersey with that massive logo, and that's lost money for the grassroots too. At what point is it worth just telling eircom "no"?

brine3
15/07/2004, 11:22 AM
I usually just wear a plain green t-shirt. I once wore a Betis Sevilla shirt!

Yeah, I remember the news about the new FAI logo too. I wonder when that's being unveiled.

Bowsy
15/07/2004, 12:46 PM
I wear the jersey but do begrudge having to have Eircom splashed across it. Is there any other nation in the world with a sponsor on their replica jerseys? I know the Czechs have T-Mobile on their training gear but i don't think it's on their jerseys. When I next have a mate going to Thailand i might have to get them to pick up one of those fake but sponsor free jerseys.
Me oul' fella prefers to wear the Panathanikos shirt to games which is a decent enough option.

Junior
15/07/2004, 1:28 PM
I usually just wear a plain green t-shirt. I once wore a Betis Sevilla shirt!

You were lucky you weren't shot!! If you listen to some on this site, if you don't wear an Irish shirt to an Ireland game, you shouldn't be aloud in the ground, you're not a true supporter blah blah blah.......

Quite like the old Betis top myself ;)

Pat O' Banton
15/07/2004, 5:06 PM
You were lucky you weren't shot!! If you listen to some on this site, if you don't wear an Irish shirt to an Ireland game, you shouldn't be aloud in the ground, you're not a true supporter blah blah blah.......

Quite like the old Betis top myself ;)

I've got one of them skin tight Kappa Betis ones, however for the sake of the sanity of norf Landan I don't dare wear it out :eek:

KCFC Bohs
15/07/2004, 5:50 PM
The retro shirts are still on sale in Burtons at EUR40 a pop. Pretty decent too - the 70's looks the best, but will probably get the Euro 88 one of the memories ;)

The umbro training gear can be okay - I have a green shirt with black shoulders that has a tiny Eircom logo on the shoulders.

frano
27/07/2004, 5:28 PM
Just got back from Dublin, was talking to the manager of a sports shop on Grafton street, he said the new shirts, with new logo will be worn for the first game in September, then a fella who said he worked for the FAI told us they were holding off until the France game as they are having a few barnys about the design.

In terms of design, how about playing in that old green colour on the flag! This was changed to the green we have now due to sponsorship, apparently the lighter green shows the ads off better!!! I know this is true because a bloke in a pub told me. :)

soccerc
27/07/2004, 8:16 PM
Just got back from Dublin, was talking to the manager of a sports shop on Grafton street, he said the new shirts, with new logo will be worn for the first game in September, then a fella who said he worked for the FAI told us they were holding off until the France game as they are having a few barnys about the design.

In terms of design, how about playing in that old green colour on the flag! This was changed to the green we have now due to sponsorship, apparently the lighter green shows the ads off better!!! I know this is true because a bloke in a pub told me. :)

I'd suggest the sportshop guy was correct :D :D :D As for the fella that said he worked for the FAI - Was this the bloke in the pub? LOL

liam88
28/07/2004, 8:24 PM
When Iw ent to see Ireland in the Unity Cup I wore ma Cobh Ramblers Jersey-aye it made it easier for the lads to recognise me but it was for identity as well-met a bloke wearing a CCFC jacket just outside the pub lol :D

liam88
28/07/2004, 8:28 PM
Just a few sugesstions;

1. Eircom League Jersey from your town
2. Ireland Rugby Jersey
3. Irish t-shirt "the fighting Irish" "plastic and proud" etc.
4. Celtic
5. Hibs
6. Get 2 mates and one of you wears green, one white and one your choice of gold/orange then stand together :D

Just a few ideas for fun-anymore?

Not to sure about Galeic jerseys

liam88
28/07/2004, 9:27 PM
Crikey I was only making a few suggestions :confused: as a bit of a laugh more than anything else.
At least Irish rugby jersey's are IRISH and to see the linl Hibernians (the full name) means 'Irish', simple as that.

Sorry I'll take the post off if you like-was just a bit of fun. I reckon that wearing a club jersey is showing where you are from-i.e part of Ireland and is something to be proud of :eek:

liam88
28/07/2004, 9:28 PM
6- Any other games you want us to play at Ireland matches? How about musical chairs in the bucket seats section?

:D :D Cheers for the laugh Pat

green goblin
16/08/2004, 4:16 PM
I've always rather fancied wearing the German green away kit...

Junior
16/08/2004, 4:32 PM
I've always rather fancied wearing the German green away kit...

funny you should mention that. A bloke in the pub at the weekend was telling me that Green German away kit, eminates from the Irish football team, did we loan them a kit or something???? anyone any info on this..........

green goblin
16/08/2004, 4:38 PM
Funny you mention it...

From http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,347342,00.html

Can anyone then explain why the German away strip is green?" asked Clayton Fossett.
We've had the biggest response ever to Knowledge Unlimited for this question. All of you agree that it dates back to a friendly between Ireland and Germany shortly after the second world war.
As Enda Kelly tells it: "After world war II, the Republic of Ireland was the first country to play Germany. Naturally the teams changed shirts after the match. One version of the story says that the Germans were so poor (I hasten to add financially, just in case there's any confusion with the present team), that they could not afford an away strip for their next match, and thus used the Irish shirts with the crest replaced. Thus began the tradition."
The second version, which Enda thinks is more likely - and is supported by everyone else - is that Germany was a bit of a pariah nation at the time, "and to show their gratitude to the Irish for bringing them back into the international football scene they chose green".

Paulie
16/08/2004, 4:41 PM
Someone told me once that the German away kit is green on account of us being the first team to agree to play them after World War 2. I don't know if this is nonsense or not but it's what I was told for what it's worth.

tricky_colour
16/08/2004, 7:12 PM
So........... is it possible that both Ireland and Germany could
turn up in the same kit?

It would make for an interesting match :p

sylvo
16/08/2004, 8:41 PM
I also heard that this was due to Ireland being the first team to play Germany after ww2 that Germany's away shirt is green.

As for the Ireland jersey's I have two old style shirt's that i got from toff's that make all the old shirt's. One's a replica 1940's one and the other's a 1960's one.
I much rather wear them due to the fact that I hate the fact that the fan's are being used as human advertising board's plus the current Ireland jersey is awful. :mad:

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 10:21 PM
Lads, Switzerland were the first country to play West Germany officially after WW2 and even unofficially before FIFA readmitted them in either '49 or '50.

That German footy book 'Tor' tells you all you need to know ;)

irwinsalegend
17/08/2004, 5:21 PM
As for the Ireland jersey's I have two old style shirt's that i got from toff's that make all the old shirt's. One's a replica 1940's one and the other's a 1960's one.
SYLVO - i've been looking on Toff's to try to buy an old style shirt but i'm buggered if I can find any Irsh International shirts.
Is this where you ordered them from.

http://www.toffs.com/default.asp?awin=1

irwinsalegend
17/08/2004, 5:24 PM
Ignore the last post Slyvo, i'm blind , hadn't looked under Eire. I should be shot.

I think i'll kit myself out in one of these for the Qualifiers, the paris ladies will love it i'm sure!!

tippman
17/08/2004, 6:58 PM
why not have the jerseys say ''eircom league''

sylvo
17/08/2004, 11:18 PM
Ignore the last post Slyvo, i'm blind , hadn't looked under Eire. I should be shot.

I think i'll kit myself out in one of these for the Qualifiers, the paris ladies will love it i'm sure!!

I have to admit they look a lot better when yer wearing them down @ the disco then the current shirt's.
I have to be honest the 40's one I got more for the reason of framing it with a picture of the 1949 team of Carey, Farrell and Martin etc for my soon to be football room, but I did wear it last year at the Russia game @ LR and it was like I was wearing a tent.
The sixty's shirt I wear that all the time and I've noticed a fair few other's wearing the sixty's shirt @ LR.
If yer get a chance check out the old shirt's from that club in Glasgow's east end, ;) there's an away shirt from the fifty's on there that I got and look's cool. Nobody's yet noticed on away trip's that it's not actually an Ireland jersey. ;) Will be looking out for yer in Paris. :)
Will be looking out

macdermesser
18/08/2004, 8:39 AM
funny you should mention that. A bloke in the pub at the weekend was telling me that Green German away kit, eminates from the Irish football team, did we loan them a kit or something???? anyone any info on this..........

I mailed the German Football association about this a few years back .. to settle this very question that a few of us were having, and I was told that quite soberly that the away kit is green, because the German football association crest has a green background. No mention of friendlies or Ireland from this guy. It could be another case of an urban myth started in some pub that gained popularity, because of our firm belief that everyone loves us....

green goblin
18/08/2004, 9:32 AM
I mailed the German Football association about this a few years back .. to settle this very question that a few of us were having, and I was told that quite soberly that the away kit is green, because the German football association crest has a green background. No mention of friendlies or Ireland from this guy. It could be another case of an urban myth started in some pub that gained popularity, because of our firm belief that everyone loves us....

Whoa! Are you suggesting that everyone doesn't love us? When did this happen? What's there not to like? :eek: ;)