PDA

View Full Version : Trapattoni - who would you replace him with?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Cymro
10/10/2011, 5:05 PM
Genuine question, I know you play dull as dishwater football but in terms of results it's hard to knock his record. Those of you who favour getting rid, who do you think would get the results whilst improving the spectacle?

PS Good luck v Armenia on Tuesday, hope you and the Scots make the play-offs.

Dunny
10/10/2011, 5:08 PM
Hughton

prince20
10/10/2011, 5:13 PM
Martin O Neill

BonnieShels
10/10/2011, 5:15 PM
Alex Ferguson, Pep Guardiola, Jürgen Klopp

Lionel Ritchie
10/10/2011, 5:32 PM
Cheers Cymro. Good win against the Swiss by the way. We couldn't chalk up one in four attempts.

I think the next manager'll be Tardelli. Wouldn't mind seeing Hughton get it but maybe a bit more experience first. I'd have no problem with say David O'Leary either -though he'll likely not be a popular choice.

Though whoever it is and whenever it happens the FAI have painted themselves into something of a corner by paying over the odds for a part time gig when the job was already pretty well paid by international standards pre-Trap. (Stan was reprortedly on €400K -twice what McLeish was on for Scotland and three times what Sanchez was on for NI). So basically whoever managed for a wet weekend in the premiership is likely to ask for a ludicrous salary and tell the FAI to go ask Denis O'Brien to sign the cheque for it.

Charlie Darwin
10/10/2011, 5:55 PM
Nigel Worthington.

Though whoever it is and whenever it happens the FAI have painted themselves into something of a corner by paying over the odds for a part time gig when the job was already pretty well paid by international standards pre-Trap. (Stan was reprortedly on €400K -twice what McLeish was on for Scotland and three times what Sanchez was on for NI). So basically whoever managed for a wet weekend in the premiership is likely to ask for a ludicrous salary and tell the FAI to go ask Denis O'Brien to sign the cheque for it.
Won't argue with 2 million being an inflated figure but both McLeish and Sanchez jumped ship in the middle of successful campaigns for better paid jobs in England. Luckily Stan didn't have his head turned by any Champions League clubs.

mypost
10/10/2011, 6:04 PM
Genuine question, I know you play dull as dishwater football but in terms of results it's hard to knock his record. Those of you who favour getting rid, who do you think would get the results whilst improving the spectacle?

PS Good luck v Armenia on Tuesday.

I know you're not Irish and that's fair enough, but we can really do without such questions on the eve of our biggest game in two years.

You're right that it is hard to knock his record. Trap is unbeaten away in 4 years, increased our rankings, and brought us to two playoffs* with a very limited ability squad. Wales were 6th seeds in the last draw, and would take his results in exchange for conservative football.

*yes I know.

French Toasht
10/10/2011, 6:27 PM
Giovanni Trappatoni.

That's who I want in charge for the next campaign.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2011, 6:30 PM
Gary Speed :)

boovidge
10/10/2011, 6:33 PM
At the moment I'm happy to trade in entertainment for results. I still reserve the right to moan though ;)

Crosby87
10/10/2011, 7:12 PM
Tardelli.

shakermaker1982
10/10/2011, 7:33 PM
Whatever happens next I'd like to see someone like Ray Houghton come in and be involved in some form such as a coach or assistant manager. Whenever he is co-commentating on sky he always talks sense & is clearly passionate about the team.

This could be the final game for the Trap if we get rolled over tomorrow. BIG game for him and his system.

christo
10/10/2011, 8:06 PM
Giovanni Trappatoni.

That's who I want in charge for the next campaign.

This!

AlaskaFox
10/10/2011, 8:13 PM
Trap 4 Life. Word.

tricky_colour
10/10/2011, 8:18 PM
Steve Staunton. :D

That would be Traps choice.

bluewhitearmy
10/10/2011, 9:12 PM
I know you're not Irish and that's fair enough, but we can really do without such questions on the eve of our biggest game in two years.

You're right that it is hard to knock his record. Trap is unbeaten away in 4 years, increased our rankings, and brought us to two playoffs* with a very limited ability squad. Wales were 6th seeds in the last draw, and would take his results in exchange for conservative football.

*yes I know.

Yes because it will have such a massive impact on what happens tomorrow that someone on a forum asked a question :rolleyes:.

Sullivinho
10/10/2011, 9:30 PM
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6990/spinelli.jpg

amaccann
10/10/2011, 9:47 PM
I would say Tardelli deserves a shot at the gig when Tap steps down.

In international football, consistency is difficult to achieve when you only have players together for a few weeks in the year. If nothing else, Trap seems to have gelled a genuine sense of togetherness & family within the Irish squad (notwithstanding spats with the likes of A. Reid, much of what the press reported turned out to be hearsay and rumour). So keeping Tardelli would be a nice way to keep the ball rolling in the sense. His own record as manager might count against him though.

Scooby Doo
10/10/2011, 10:24 PM
Il Trap

elroy
10/10/2011, 10:59 PM
Tomorrow is a massive game and likely if we lose that Trap will be gone.

Yes we are not pretty to watch but there is little doubt that we have progressed under Trap, all the more notable given the limited resources available. Should we qualify, I think many of the dissenters in relation to the manner in which we play will fade.

Hibs4Ever
11/10/2011, 5:28 AM

Don't be so fooking ridiculous

mypost
11/10/2011, 7:16 AM
I'm not ridiculous. There are many Trap out, and next coach questions here. I think it's inappropriate to start another one at the very moment, we're supposed to all get behind the team.

If we don't do the business tonight, then you can say what you like. If we do, he deserves our support for the rest of the campaign at least.

Hibs4Ever
11/10/2011, 7:27 AM
I'm not ridiculous. There are many Trap out, and next coach questions here. I think it's inappropriate to start another one at the very moment, we're supposed to all get behind the team.

If we don't do the business tonight, then you can say what you like. If we do, he deserves our support for the rest of the campaign at least.

It isn't a "Trap Out" thread FFS, just a general question of who people think will be next! I, like some others, want Trap to stay on, and have no issue with this thread

an_ceannaire
11/10/2011, 1:29 PM
We have to be realistic here. People saying MON.....GTFO!! First of all ye forget Martin played for NORTHERN Ireland.....so his loyalty is to the 6, not the 26! Why on earth would a manager who can have a pick of any job he wants once they come available take the ROI job???
Hughton, again, he is managing a big English club with a good chance of promotion. Why would u leave that to manage ROI? You wouldnt! Simple as. No manager will leave a Prem/Top half Championship club to take the ROI Job. Trap saw it as a retirement project, thats why he took it, that and the few quid!
More realistic targets would be Tardelli, which would be a DISASTER as it would be more of the same, O'Leary (no thanks!!) Aldridge (people forget he did a half decent job at TR) and a semi retired old semi successful British manager like Coppell, possibly Sparky or Strachan

Personally I would love to see The Boy get it, but we all know, he wont!

pineapple stu
11/10/2011, 1:41 PM
First of all ye forget Martin played for NORTHERN Ireland.....so his loyalty is to the 6, not the 26!
Gspain could probably regale you with tales of watching Jack Charlton kick lumps out of the English defenders during one of his many superb performances in Dalymount Park down the years. Not to mention those two vital headed goals he scored in our '66 qualifying campaign.

Noelys Guitar
11/10/2011, 2:31 PM
Ian Dowie is looking for a job. Puts having Trap as manager in perspective.

French Toasht
11/10/2011, 2:37 PM
We have to be realistic here. People saying MON.....GTFO!! First of all ye forget Martin played for NORTHERN Ireland.....so his loyalty is to the 6, not the 26!

I suggest you should listen to the speech MO'N gave about "What it is to be Irish?" at Áras an Uachtaráin a year or two ago. That speech would seem to suggest to me, the chances he will manage Ireland are ten times more likely than the chances he'll ever manage NI.

But again this is all irrelevant. In Trap we trust.

fionnsci
11/10/2011, 3:02 PM
If we get to the Euros then we can be sure tht we'll be seeing Trap for two more years. Hell, we hadn't gotten to a play-off three campaigns in a row and no we've....."got" two in a row. Not a sexy brand of football though....

Stuttgart88
11/10/2011, 3:07 PM
I suggest you should listen to the speech MO'N gave about "What it is to be Irish?" at Áras an Uachtaráin a year or two ago. That speech would seem to suggest to me, the chances he will manage Ireland are ten times more likely than the chances he'll ever manage NI.

But again this is all irrelevant. In Trap we trust.Leave Trap in charge.

Hire MO'N as teenage recruitment officer, going head to head with Gerry Armstrong.

SkStu
11/10/2011, 6:13 PM
how much is Trap on at the moment?

eekers
11/10/2011, 6:53 PM
how much is Trap on at the moment?

He's getting a huge bonus for every game in which we get a clean sheet with less than 40% possession.

SkStu
11/10/2011, 6:54 PM
aha!!

an_ceannaire
12/10/2011, 11:12 AM

But again this is all irrelevant. In Trap we trust.

So you think if ROI played NI in a tournament/qualifier that MON would be rooting for the ROI do you..................???

pineapple stu
12/10/2011, 11:21 AM
Imagine if - hypothetically, of course - we had an English manager managing us against England? Sure we'd never win then.

Drumcondra 69er
12/10/2011, 11:45 AM
We have to be realistic here. People saying MON.....GTFO!! First of all ye forget Martin played for NORTHERN Ireland.....so his loyalty is to the 6, not the 26! Why on earth would a manager who can have a pick of any job he wants once they come available take the ROI job???
Hughton, again, he is managing a big English club with a good chance of promotion. Why would u leave that to manage ROI? You wouldnt! Simple as. No manager will leave a Prem/Top half Championship club to take the ROI Job. Trap saw it as a retirement project, thats why he took it, that and the few quid!
More realistic targets would be Tardelli, which would be a DISASTER as it would be more of the same, O'Leary (no thanks!!) Aldridge (people forget he did a half decent job at TR) and a semi retired old semi successful British manager like Coppell, possibly Sparky or Strachan

Your post was already headed for the stratosphere of madness but that highlighted bit has sent it right off the scale.....

Lionel Ritchie
12/10/2011, 12:40 PM

Your post was already headed for the stratosphere of madness but that highlighted bit has sent it right off the scale..... Agreed. I doubt Bart Simpson even has his UEFA badges anyway.

ArdeeBhoy
12/10/2011, 12:41 PM
Martin O'Neill is more Irish than an-ceannaire.

That's one thing that we can all agree on.
;)

hunt4the
12/10/2011, 1:22 PM
Manager: Eamon Dunphy
Assistant Manager: Johnny Giles
Coach: Liam Brady

First of all it would get them off the telly, I cant watch any analysis involving dunphy and Gilesy losin it,
and secondly it would finally shut dunphy up about Irish Managers after a 6-0 drubbing at home to kazakstan

backstothewall
12/10/2011, 2:01 PM
So you think if ROI played NI in a tournament/qualifier that MON would be rooting for the ROI do you..................???

It depends. Debatable at present, but if he was in our dugout wearing one of these (http://www.faishop.com/product/NewFAIRange2011/NewTrainingandLeisureRange/ADULTSCAMPBELLSHOWERJACKETBLACK) I am as sure as i can be that he would be rooting for us

Charlie Darwin
13/10/2011, 11:37 AM
For all those complaining about Trap's salary, if we successfully negotiate Estonia then he will pay back 8 year's worth of his own salary in prize money alone. Perspective.

osarusan
13/10/2011, 11:41 AM
And if we were only paying him half what we're paying him, he'd be paying back 16 years' worth of his own salary in prize money. Perspective.

Charlie Darwin
13/10/2011, 12:01 PM
That's not really perspective, it's just unrealistic.

John83
13/10/2011, 1:38 PM
Imagine if - hypothetically, of course - we had an English manager managing us against England? Sure we'd never win then.
Also hypothetical, imagine we had an Italian manager and played Italy. Perhaps in Bari...

legendz
13/10/2011, 1:42 PM
How many campaigns did we miss out on at least the play-offs before Trap came in?

passinginterest
13/10/2011, 1:54 PM
I'd probably go with Jesus considering some of the miracles he's performed, actually looking at the draw for the playoffs there might be some connection there already...

In all seriousness though, he has returned the team to one that is consistently challenging for qualification from one that was an embarrasment prior to his arrival. Yes it's negative at times, yes it's predictable but it's effective. If we had a world class, or even a top level premier division player in the centre of midfield the team would be so much better but unfortunately we don't have that at the moment. That's not any fault of Trap's, and with a bit of luck someone will emerge in spectacular fashion over the next six months and take the team to the next level at the Euro's.

Given his age and the stage he's taken the team to, it might be best to replace him after the Euro's but I don't think we'll really appreciate how good he's been until he's gone. It'll be very difficult to attract a top class manager to replace him, Tardelli stepping up seems the most likely.

Supreme feet
13/10/2011, 1:56 PM
How many campaigns did we miss out on at least the play-offs before Trap came in?

Three in a row. Finished 3rd and 4th under Kerr, and 3rd - ten points adrift - under Stan.

That 4th place was achieved despite having Roy Keane, a slim-ish Andy Reid, a Chelsea-era Duff and a fit Steven Reid at our disposal.

dynamo kerry
13/10/2011, 2:39 PM
Three in a row. Finished 3rd and 4th under Kerr, and 3rd - ten points adrift - under Stan.

That 4th place was achieved despite having Roy Keane, a slim-ish Andy Reid, a Chelsea-era Duff and a fit Steven Reid at our disposal.

the fourth place is the one that really rankles for me.. those two ropey games against the israelies. SHould have walked that group...

peterc1992
14/10/2011, 5:07 AM
This situation reminds me very much of the situation of Benitez with Liverpool.

He has achieved success that the managers before have failed to do.Even though it isnt attractive and it isnt the very best but it is consistent and will a bit of help it could be very good.

Rafa won a champions league,made the highest points margin in premier league history to never win it.Won an Fa cup lost out in a league cup final and champions league final and 1 semi in both the uefa and champions league yet people still called for his head.He never quite won the League but alot of that had to do with two absolute idiots who took over the club and ****ed everything up untill the last few months.

Half the fans called for his head because of the media being very negative towards him and people couldnt just look at the cold facts and make their own mind up that he was a good guy.

Very similair with trap.

Since McCarty we have struggled to come close to qualifying for anything under anyone.Kerr had a very strong team on his hands and he couldnt do it (in I remember a weak group in Euro 2004?) same in 2006.We did very poor competitively with our best team in 15 years. In 2008 stauton was ****e.

In 2010 campaign under Trap we finished second in a group were we were third seed.We went unbeaten in the group also ,that is a very good achievement and as much as the football was not great that is success in my eyes. We got outplayed at home lost 1-0 and outplayed the french away and won 1-0 then got terribly unlucky not to at least get penalties after the handball goal. That was success with a bit of bad luck.

This campaign we have went 9 games without conceding .Finished second ,after being third seeds, by 4 points and now look odds on to go to euro 2012 ,the first tournament for us since 2002.All this and people still call for his head. Maybe it makes more sense in our eyes to play McCarthy Long Fahey and give Andy Reid a call up.But this man knows more than any of us and has got us where we wanna be.

Regardless of how good it looks its a job well done and done well.People woudl rather form and opinion by listening to drunken Dunphy.There is a reason he is not a manager.There is a reason trap is and with a relatively weaker team than the years before he has done a harder job .

peterc1992
14/10/2011, 5:09 AM
Oh yeh,Replace him with Hughton or O Neill.They have both done good jobs with weak teams over the years.Hughton with less experience but he has already been part of the Irish set up so that would work in his favour

Irwin3
14/10/2011, 12:39 PM
Don't people remember that it was McCarthy who f***ed up 2004 after losing the first two games then quitting. Kerr was only responsible for 2006 really. That group was there for the taking and the two draws against Israel let us down in the end. But the three teams above us remained unbeaten. W4 D5 L1. Too many draws. Hmm. Sounds familiar.