PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Armenia - Tuesday, 11th October 2011 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

geysir
10/10/2011, 2:16 PM
For all those who missed Liveline, count yourself very very fortunate.
A severe test of one's sanctity.

TrapAPony
10/10/2011, 2:25 PM
Shane Long has every right to be upset. Only form striker in the squad gets displaced by a fella who cannot get a game with his club (the same club as Shane Long).
Walters deserves a mention too surely

shakermaker1982
10/10/2011, 2:29 PM
Well I can understand Walters not getting the nod from Trap after missing squad meet ups for various reasons. Don't get me wrong I'd have Walters over Cox but Long should be 3rd choice striker IMO.

Kingdom
10/10/2011, 2:37 PM
Well I can understand not getting the nod from Trap after missing squad meet ups for various reasons. Don't get me wrong I'd have Walters over Cox but Long should be 3rd choice striker IMO.

That's a fair point, but there was quote's from an English fella who was assistant to the Armenians up to 2009 and brought some of these kids through, and his words of advice is that they can't cope with strength or physicality, that they especially don't like it up them. So Walters would have been made for a game like this.
Also I'd find it hard to believe that Walters will see any game time now that Cox is starting. Hunt for Duff circa 70 minutes, Long for Cox circa 60 minutes will be the two standard Trap subsititutes.

p2011
10/10/2011, 2:43 PM
For all those who missed Liveline, count yourself very very fortunate.
A severe test of one's sanctity.

Liveline and Joe are a serious test of one's faith in humanity - it has to be said.

I can imagine it all: "Howya Joe, I wasn't there in the pub when it happened and I actually don't know anything about football at all but I'd just like to say that in my opinion.... "

French Toasht
10/10/2011, 2:49 PM
Aside from the selection shocker issue, I'm still baffled as to why Trap shows his cards so early before games with regards to team selections.

Armenia now have notice for a good 30 hours before the game of our precise lineup and can get doing their homework on our team. My be only a slight advantage to them by why give it to them at all. By all means let the players know the starting lineup today, but why the need to go public?

Kingdom
10/10/2011, 2:52 PM
Aside from the selection shocker issue, I'm still baffled as to why Trap shows his cards so early before games with regards to team selections.

Armenia now have notice for a good 30 hours before the game of our precise lineup and can get doing their homework on our team. My be only a slight advantage to them by why give it to them at all. By all means let the players know the starting lineup today, but why the need to go public?

Again to be fair to all concerned, the issue of personnel won't disrupt the Armenian boss' plans. This is all he needs to know: They give us the ball?

Stuttgart88
10/10/2011, 2:56 PM
Irish Times this morning pretty much flagged Cox's inclusion and also flagged his own disbelief that he gets picked ahead of others in form.

shakermaker1982
10/10/2011, 2:56 PM
There is an article on the guardian website from J Wilson about Armenia. I can't put it up because I'm on the phone but it's worth a look.

shakermaker1982
10/10/2011, 3:01 PM
I agree Kingdom. Walters would be a pain in the a$$ for the Armenian defence. I like his directness.

Cox is a tidy ball player and will obviously try to drop back into MF but he isn't the quickest & his work rate isn't on the Tevez scale. Just goes to show if you turn up to training camps & friendly games the Trap will love you forever as Keogh found out to his benefit!!!

paul_oshea
10/10/2011, 3:12 PM
Trap's tactical system has already peaked but Trap thinks the mentality strengthening process has a bit further to go. Didn't he say as much, that the Rugby chaps failed because they lacked having enough of the right mentality (o.O)

Brady thinks if we get through the Armenia game and playoffs, that Trap will indeed bring in the young players like McCarthy and Coleman into friendlies.

Where did he say that about the rugby? Interesting that he did say that, as watching it, its what I thought too.

christo
10/10/2011, 3:26 PM
What's all the love for Walters on the board, he's mediocre at best. His best return in a season was 13 in league 2 4 years ago and is knocking on in age as well I'd have Cox over him anyday along with plenty of other players. I wouldn't be surprised if Cox grabbed a goal tomorrow

I'd have Fahey over McCarthy too, McCarthy hasn't impressed me whenever I've seen him play and Coleman is just back from a fairly lengthy injury is he not? Plus I'd not see him get ahead of McGeady even though I would love to not see him play

dr_peepee
10/10/2011, 3:29 PM
Ha!! I'm bleedin snappin.... I was online on me phone on foot.ie last night midway through rant/text on this thread about how I think Trap'll opt for Cox, but it was that bit more awkward on the phone than it does be on a keyboard so I gave up.

I think Cox is a poor man's Keane in alot of ways, so I see the logic in that regard. But I would've gone for Long every time.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2011, 3:32 PM
Where did he say that about the rugby? Interesting that he did say that, as watching it, its what I thought too.

Several media sites carried it (e.g., http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/214934)

GIOVANNI Trapattoni has vowed to put the smile back on Irish faces by going for the jugular against Armenia at the Aviva Stadium on Tuesday night.

Ireland’s rugby World Cup bid was all but over by the time Trap’s squad arrived back home after an overnight jaunt from Andorra early yesterday morning.

The Irish football boss has offered his sympathy to his friend Brian O’Driscoll – and vowed to give disappointed fans something to shout about when his team chase a play-off spot against the Armenians.

Trapattoni said: “I am very sorry that Ireland lost to Wales in the rugby because Brian O’Driscoll is our friend.

“But sport is sport. It teaches us that any result is possible when you have the right mentality.

“Our job is like that. We deserve to achieve a minimum of a play-off spot – and I think we can achieve that goal.”

I'm not sure Trap is saying that the rugby boys had the wrong mentality. Maybe he was saying wales had the right one.

Dvo-Van
10/10/2011, 3:50 PM
Anybody knows the stats with the Armenian teams?

Hale
10/10/2011, 3:51 PM
Cox!? So he opted for Long over Doyle was it against Slovakia, than Long got injured, so now last week opted for Doyle over Long, and now this week Cox over Long.

So he doesn't have any particular order for his strikers? He can't have picked Cox on performance since he doesn't get in the West Brom team. He was crap last time he came on as a sub.......

theworm2345
10/10/2011, 3:58 PM
What's all the love for Walters on the board, he's mediocre at best. His best return in a season was 13 in league 2 4 years ago and is knocking on in age as well I'd have Cox over him anyday along with plenty of other players. I wouldn't be surprised if Cox grabbed a goal tomorrow

I'd have Fahey over McCarthy too, McCarthy hasn't impressed me whenever I've seen him play and Coleman is just back from a fairly lengthy injury is he not? Plus I'd not see him get ahead of McGeady even though I would love to not see him play
Yeah but Walters is getting rave reviews in the Premier League and the Europa League. Cox can't even make the squad at West Brom and was mediocre at best even in the Championship with them. Then again he has popped up with a couple of goals in the green shirt so you never know. The difference is though that Walters makes things happen by himself even when he's not scoring. To be honest I'm not a big fan of Cox or Doyle right now but what can you do.

elroy
10/10/2011, 4:04 PM
Are Armenia missing an through suspension?

tetsujin1979
10/10/2011, 4:05 PM
one of the posters on ybig.ie was at the open training session on Saturday, and posted this today on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/flickybig/status/123416770542452736

from the training seesion i attended the other day, Cox was better than Long. #ire (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23ire) #arm (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23arm)

MagicMon
10/10/2011, 4:17 PM
Its all just so... predictable.

Cox was always going to get picked if Keane was injured, Trap loves him ever since the N. Ireland game. Kelly was always ahead of Coleman for the full-back slot. Naming the team early isn't really a problem, you could name the team for a game in 6 months if all you were told is who was injured.

The game will go (assuming nothing freak like a bad injury or Shay Given getting sent off early on):

First 15-20 minutes Ireland on top, Doyle misses a chance, McGeady gets a few crosses in. *Maybe* a goal, probably from a set piece.

20-30min- Armenia get back into it. Counter attack forces Given into a good block save.

Until half time Ireland on the back foot, defenders have to block shots, Given makes at least one save, commentators moan about not keeping possession.

2nd half: Armenia get going after 50 minutes. Cross field balls and wingers cutting inside cause Ireland problems. Andrews and Whelan anonymous.

Hunt for McGeady 60-65 minutes

Brief rally from Duff and Hunt swapping wings.

Long for Cox 70 minute ish

Teams level (1-1 or 0-0) at 75 minutes

Fahey on for whatever midfielder is on a yellow card in the last 10 minutes

Final whistle, play-offs.

The only thing that changes in all this is how good/bad the opposition are, Trap's teams have one gear. We can't complain, its getting us better results that from Kerr and Staunton, but its also hard to get worked up after watching football like in the 2nd half vs Andorra.

Dvo-Van
10/10/2011, 4:27 PM
Rumor says AraS OSbilis from Ajax may debut for Armenia tomorrow

third policeman
10/10/2011, 4:35 PM
If by some incredible miracle Trappatoni's mind-numbing obstinacy pays off against Armenia and gets through a play off against a European giant of the magnitude of Estonia or Montenegro, is there still a case for replacing him before his tactical shortcomings and perversely vindictive selction preferences are cruelly exposed this summer?

Is there anyone out there who honestly believes that we are a better team for not having tried out our most promising prospects, integrated our most consistent premiership performers or recruited our most plausible 2nd G options? Could O'Neil, Coppel and a host of other half decent unemployed coaches without Trapp's dogmatic idiosyncracies do any worse? If we do qualify it can only be dismal humiliation, frustration and shame. There will be no ambition, drama, beauty or heroism. In Russia they refer to the Brezhnev years as "the era of stagnation". I fear Trapp's reign will be similarly remembered or probably simply forgotten.

geysir
10/10/2011, 4:35 PM
I wrote that Trap said as much,
means he did not exactly say that…. but open to interpretation :)

On later updates to the same article , the Trap quote was removed.
irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Saturday, October 8, 2011, 18:40
Keane a Major Doubt (http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2011/1008/1224305493081.html)
Trapattoni said: “I am sorry that Ireland lost in rugby against Wales because Brian O’Driscoll and his team are our friends and we wished them to do well. But sport is sport and it teaches us that when we have the right mentality, we can achieve every result.”

Colbert Report
10/10/2011, 4:41 PM
Let Trap be lads, do ye really think any other manager would have us in with a shout at this late stage of qualification? I agree that the football is rubbish to watch but he gives us results. Need I remind you of the Staunton era? I'd argue that Staunton had much better players available for selection. Say what you want about Trap, but we will NEVER EVER EVER lose 5-2 to ANYONE, never mind Cyprus.

Predator
10/10/2011, 4:49 PM
Let Trap be lads, do ye really think any other manager would have us in with a shout at this late stage of qualification? I agree that the football is rubbish to watch but he gives us results. Need I remind you of the Staunton era? I'd argue that Staunton had much better players available for selection. Say what you want about Trap, but we will NEVER EVER EVER lose 5-2 to ANYONE, never mind Cyprus.Don't be so sure - we have conceded 3 goals at home without reply under Trap.

geysir
10/10/2011, 4:50 PM
Despite much consternation here, Trap was sound in mind and body when he intended to pick Long over Doyle, to start against Slovakia.
Cox and Doyle together, appears to makes sense as a partnership.

Kelly at left back is 'interesting', he filled in there against the Czech Rep? but had another game sometime at LB where where he struggled a bit?

Charlie Darwin
10/10/2011, 4:52 PM
There is an article on the guardian website from J Wilson about Armenia. I can't put it up because I'm on the phone but it's worth a look.
Link here (http://t.co/b0IW30Au).

third policeman
10/10/2011, 6:29 PM
Let Trap be lads, do ye really think any other manager would have us in with a shout at this late stage of qualification? I agree that the football is rubbish to watch but he gives us results. Need I remind you of the Staunton era? I'd argue that Staunton had much better players available for selection. Say what you want about Trap, but we will NEVER EVER EVER lose 5-2 to ANYONE, never mind Cyprus.

Is it not a bit depresing that the best that can now be said for Trapp is, he's better than Stan. This not a difficult group by any standards. It's Armenia we are competing with for second place.

Colbert Report
10/10/2011, 6:44 PM
Armenia look like world beaters right now, have you not seen their results over the past few months? Keep in mind that we were very, very lucky to beat them away last year.

christo
10/10/2011, 8:02 PM
If by some incredible miracle Trappatoni's mind-numbing obstinacy pays off against Armenia and gets through a play off against a European giant of the magnitude of Estonia or Montenegro, is there still a case for replacing him before his tactical shortcomings and perversely vindictive selction preferences are cruelly exposed this summer?

Is there anyone out there who honestly believes that we are a better team for not having tried out our most promising prospects, integrated our most consistent premiership performers or recruited our most plausible 2nd G options? Could O'Neil, Coppel and a host of other half decent unemployed coaches without Trapp's dogmatic idiosyncracies do any worse? If we do qualify it can only be dismal humiliation, frustration and shame. There will be no ambition, drama, beauty or heroism. In Russia they refer to the Brezhnev years as "the era of stagnation". I fear Trapp's reign will be similarly remembered or probably simply forgotten.

Montenegro drew twice with England.

O'Neil and Coppel aren't that good of managers.

There is no shame or humiliation in qualifying for a major tournament.

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2011, 9:37 PM
Irish Times this morning pretty much flagged Cox's inclusion and also flagged his own disbelief that he gets picked ahead of others in form.

As soon as I read the article I thought he must be playing. I might be wrong but I'm sure Cox got the OK from the management to give the interview.

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2011, 9:46 PM
I can see the logic in picking Cox. He played OK against Macedonia. Played really well for about 15 mins when he came on against Russia. In fact looked our best player after Dunne and Given (for that 15 min spell). He believes on the pitch he is a much better player than he actually is. That type of arrogance can sometimes pay off in nail biters like this.

tetsujin1979
10/10/2011, 9:50 PM
I can see the logic in picking Cox. He played OK against Macedonia. Played really well for about 15 mins when he came on against Russia. In fact looked our best player after Dunne and Given (for that 15 min spell). He believes on the pitch he is a much better player than he actually is. That type of arrogance can sometimes pay off in nail biters like this.
Goal shouldn't have been disallowed

dr_peepee
10/10/2011, 9:54 PM
Kelly at left back is 'interesting', he filled in there against the Czech Rep? but had another game sometime at LB where where he struggled a bit?

He's played quite a bit at left back for his clubs. I'm not too fussed. Armenia are going to come at us. He's better in situations when it's backs to the wall.

Sullivinho
10/10/2011, 10:04 PM
As soon as I read the article I thought he must be playing. I might be wrong but I'm sure Cox got the OK from the management to give the interview.

I think I read the same article. Mentioned that his missus picked up on his surprise at being included in the squad nevermind a starting XI! His selection ahead of Long looks a bit absurd on the face of it when you consider their respective positions (and performances) in the pecking order at West Brom but that would be doing an injustice to the inherent wisdom of a Trapism.

Of course this all means that he's now nailed on to score the winner tomorrow evening. He'll then make a triumphant return home where his wife will deliver a rousing monologue about the virtue of self-belief over a montage of Trap coaching Simon on the training ground to the sound of The Stunning's 'Brewing Up a Storm' before a slo-mo finish of said winning goal. Fade to black, roll credits and cue reflections on the moral of the story.

the bear
10/10/2011, 10:59 PM
just reminding it's an early kick off at 6.45pm tommorow

tetsujin1979
10/10/2011, 11:39 PM
Is it confirmed that Kelly will be at left full?
Just wondering on the relative merits of the various combinations of full backs and wingers, eg Kelly + Duff and O'Shea + McGeady vs O'Shea + Duff and Kelly + McGeady

Yard of Pace
11/10/2011, 12:07 AM
. He believes on the pitch he is a much better player than he actually is. That type of arrogance can sometimes pay off in nail biters like this.

Big time. He also seems to play with a kind of carefree attitude which I think could be ideal for this game. He won't be fussed it's our biggest game since Paris. When I saw him first up to collect his medal at the Aviva after the Scotland game and he only in the squad a week, I took an immediate shine to him :-)

ArdeeBhoy
11/10/2011, 12:20 AM
Maybe we should be stress how we do on the left up v. their right-back and their oldest outfield player at 37.
That said, he's probably no mug?

DannyInvincible
11/10/2011, 12:54 AM
Hovsepyan is actually 38. I'm pretty sure he played against Derry City at the Brandywell in 2007 along with a few of their other players who were at Pyunik at the time, but I can't say I remember him/them especially well as individuals from then. As an outfit, not even Pyunik were the walkover everyone assumed they would be. With the exception of Hovsepyan and four other outfield players, their entire outfield squad is 24 years of age or under. The bookies have us as favourites, although I have a fear that the footballing world underestimates this current crop. I've watched their games against Russia away, Slovakia away and Macedonia at home - albeit not offering my fullest attention - and what I've seen of them in attack has me slightly apprehensive as I think they'll really have a go at us from the outset. I'm just hoping their defensive weaknesses will prove their downfall as I can see them passing and running rings around our worryingly anaemic midfield.

boovidge
11/10/2011, 1:03 AM
I can see us repeating a pattern of recent games and starting strongly, possibly bagging a goal ,before losing our way mid way through the first half and allowing them back in it.

tommy_c12000
11/10/2011, 8:33 AM
Bizarre selection of Cox ahead of Long. Hopefully the luckiest man in World Football can safely guide us to the playoffs tonight. At this stage, I require qualification as a minimum for Trap to be awarded a new contract.

Inspirational stuff out of our captain:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/robbie-keane-he-canrsquot-play-for-his-country-so-he-plays-country-n-western-2901551.html

pineapple stu
11/10/2011, 8:39 AM
Inspirational stuff out of our captain:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/robbie-keane-he-canrsquot-play-for-his-country-so-he-plays-country-n-western-2901551.html
Shock as injured footballer enjoys himself. What do you want him to do with his evening off?

Let Trap be lads, do ye really think any other manager would have us in with a shout at this late stage of qualification?
The Armenian manager might.

geysir
11/10/2011, 8:43 AM
Is it confirmed that Kelly will be at left full?
It appears to be the accepted wisdom that Kelly will start at LB, as it says on the team sheet.

MagicMon
11/10/2011, 9:16 AM

Funny I think that if we did qualify for a tournament, that is when Trap would come into his own. International tournaments favour squads picked so that the players get along, without any 'trouble-makers' (think Holland 1996, England 2010, Saipan, Andy Reid).

Having the best part of a month to prepare would allow the tactics to be worked on better, making up for the weaknesses in the squad. The Italy game this summer was a good example of that, by no means the first choice XI but a really solid win.

And a major tournament would be win-win for expectations and pressure; the management and players would be up for the game in a way that they'd never be for Andorra away, while there'd be no real pressure (in the Ing-er-land we're gonna win the cup sense) to succeed from the public and supporters. Let's not forget that Ireland didn't outscore anyone in 1990 and that was our best ever tournament.

All this is academic though because the next game plus possible play-offs are as good as having to do a whole new qualification group.

OwlsFan
11/10/2011, 9:17 AM
Today is the day we need supporters/fans and not spectators. Hopefully, the plonker on the pa will play some stirring music instead of "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, let's give a big Aviva welcome to Armenia".

Not sure my heart will make it if it's all square as we go in to the last 10 minutes and we are just hoofing the ball down the pitch. I worry about a sending off as well if we get too stuck in. Andrews in particular comes to mind after some of his tasty tackles in Andorra.

tommy_c12000
11/10/2011, 9:21 AM
Shock as injured footballer enjoys himself. What do you want him to do with his evening off?

I was just saying it was inspirational stuff out of our captain, that is all.

pineapple stu
11/10/2011, 9:24 AM
What do you mean by that? Do you disapprove? (That's how it sounds) If so, why?

tommy_c12000
11/10/2011, 9:30 AM
No I'm just saying that he took me by surprise by his accomplished performance. Wasn't expecting it. Then his rousing chorus of, "Come on ye Boys in Green," mid song put goosebumps all over my body. It was 730pm and apparently he wasn't even drinking, not really a big deal really. A bigger deal is Long being on the bench for tonight

pineapple stu
11/10/2011, 9:35 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xBRiYfJBQwA/Tb-Lw-1yy0I/AAAAAAAAC_s/Gcl2GE44lcI/s1600/BTdogblk.jpg

Anyways, back to tonight...