PDA

View Full Version : Building on Success

eoinh
13/07/2004, 5:24 PM
There are close on 500,000 people in Cork City and County. Recently i notice we have started getting a lot of fans from east Cork (probably due to the Conna Maradonnas influence + Billy Woods). Also Colin O'Brien playing regularly in the past brought a lot of people up from West Cork. However, most of these people only turned up probably because of the fact that locals were playing.

I dont like saying this but should Cork City change their name to try and attract fans from all over the county. Remember its a county with 500,000 inhabitants.

Shouldnt city be trying to attract everybody from the Beara Peninsula to Kanturk?

what do others think?

Pablo
13/07/2004, 5:31 PM
There are close on 500,000 people in Cork City and County. Recently i notice we have started getting a lot of fans from east Cork (probably due to the Conna Maradonnas influence + Billy Woods). Also Colin O'Brien playing regularly in the past brought a lot of people up from West Cork. However, most of these people only turned up probably because of the fact that locals were playing.

I dont like saying this but should Cork City change their name to try and attract fans from all over the county. Remember its a county with 500,000 inhabitants.

Shouldnt city be trying to attract everybody from the Beara Peninsula to Kanturk?

what do others think?

:eek:

City till i die

sullanefc
13/07/2004, 5:34 PM
I don't think a name change will effect the support. I'm from Ballyvourney and I still consider Cork City to be my team. As if I'd support Cobh like? :D
But seriously tho, I read in the Echo yesterday that Midleton FC were making great strides in trying to get elected to the National League and I met a fella once who was involved with the Rockmount team and he was very anti City. So I think, even in the City and the county there are competitors. But I think the big thing that City have going for them is "Cork" in the title. City or otherwise doesn't matter. The best way to increase support is success and good football, not name changes. Look at Home Farm :D

Eric
13/07/2004, 7:28 PM
The name doesn't make a difference. I'm from Fermoy and City are my team. The reason so is because I can go to there matches and feel that my support might actually be appreciated there and that in a small way it can actually make a difference compared to roaring at a television!!!!

There has always been a few people from Fermoy travelling to games but since myself and Willy have started going to all the games our mates, families etc have taken an interest in City

More and more people are getting interested so no name change now thanks! :D

Gary
13/07/2004, 9:36 PM
Probably covering old ground here, but surely it would be beneficial for the club to test the water out in West Cork etc, by trying a few coaches to go from as far down as Schull to the Cross on match nights???

I know there are alot of City fans from that direction, not to mention the amount of young fellas who can be caugfht before they become bar stoolers!

Maybe its not viable/realistic, but it would be nice to see all the same.

A face
13/07/2004, 10:58 PM
by trying a few coaches to go from as far down as Schull to the Cross on match nights???

This is where the end of season survey comes into it own !!

I agree here totally .... what it would do is make the product (City games) more accessible to the punter. While there would be no money to be made i'd imagine, it would be a long term investment, hoping convert a few to the eL. Also by actually running the buses and advertising them, it is specifically targeting and highlighting the fact that there are City games available to the guy on the street.

A good idea, even if only for a short trial !!

sullanefc
14/07/2004, 12:14 AM
I've got three cars coming from Ballyvourney for the Nantes home tie. My local would prob run a bus if we asked. Hopefully there won't be extra time and penos. Have to be out to The Mills for closing like :D

Fair_play_boy
14/07/2004, 6:26 AM
Re: Shouldnt city be trying to attract everybody from the Beara Peninsula to Kanturk?

And what about Poor Oisin? What would the guy try to say, in his crescendo call over the microphone? Maybe this would soubd like it . . . Cooooooorrrrrkkkk Couououountyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyfrombearatoconnaaaaaaa

pete
14/07/2004, 9:50 AM
Name makes no difference as club has never made non-city folks felle they outsiders or anything.

Sure all the sunshiners will come out for the big games now. While thats all cash for the club more important to get core support up for league games.

liamon
14/07/2004, 10:14 AM
If Manchester United, Liverpool and Co can have fans in Ireland, then I don't see a problem with our club being called Cork City. Anyway, I'm not even from Cork County!

thecorner
14/07/2004, 10:17 AM
could always call the team the PROC :D

Kenetic
14/07/2004, 10:42 AM
Also Colin O'Brien playing regularly in the past brought a lot of people up from West Cork. However, most of these people only turned up probably because of the fact that locals were playing.

Colin O'Brien is from Bishopstown

Eric
14/07/2004, 1:52 PM
I've got three cars coming from Ballyvourney for the Nantes home tie. My local would prob run a bus if we asked. Hopefully there won't be extra time and penos. Have to be out to The Mills for closing like :D

As long as they don't steal tickets from the regulars............ie me!!!! :eek:

Peadar
14/07/2004, 2:01 PM
Colin O'Brien is from Bishopstown

He was talking about former City player, Colin P. O'Brien

I have to say I was thinking the very same thing on Sunday.
People from outside the city need to see that the club is for everyone.
Not just city folk.
There's definitely a bigger market out there which isn't being tapped.

BTW, I'm originally from West Cork, over 30 miles away from Turners Cross.
City 'til I Die!

sullanefc
14/07/2004, 4:55 PM
As long as they don't steal tickets from the regulars............ie me!!!! :eek:

Ya better do the Credit Card thing then ;)

could always call the team the PROC :D

I like that :D

pete
14/07/2004, 4:57 PM
When will the club actually be selling the printed tickets?

James
14/07/2004, 4:58 PM
from west cork.. know a fair few heads from skibb and west along that go to see the rebel army
my thoughts wud def be to keep the name cork city though..but def explore as the club are doing the potential of atteacking more customers from outside the city limits.

i know there have been buse's organised in the past from many of these places including clon in west cork..so i think the club are aware of this potential

ollie
15/07/2004, 10:32 PM
When will the club actually be selling the printed tickets?
i got mine in lennox's today at 6.they were just in. :p lucky i checked the laundry section to satisfy my curiosty cause the lad in the chipper said"are you having a laugh,they won't be in till monday at least,"before i went next door :rolleyes: