PDA

View Full Version : Sky News Ireland...

dortie
13/07/2004, 4:06 PM
Ive only recently tuned into this, to date ive not seen or heard the EL mentioned once...? Am i missing anything ??

the 12 th man
13/07/2004, 4:10 PM
Ive only recently tuned into this, to date ive not seen or heard the EL mentioned once...? Am i missing anything ??

dont hold your breath dortie,its about to be axed as it had only 200 :eek:
viewers one night last week.
and btw the answer is definitely no.

brendy_éire
13/07/2004, 4:38 PM
Seen it give scorelines a few times just.

dortie
13/07/2004, 6:42 PM
dont hold your breath dortie,its about to be axed as it had only 200 :eek:
viewers one night last week.
and btw the answer is definitely no.

200 viewers :eek: .....thats worse than a Finn Harps game on a saturday night.

We always had RTE/Network 2 etc up here but Id like to know why Northern Sky customers cant get them on digital ?? Why the hell is that ?

corkharps
13/07/2004, 10:31 PM
200 viewers :eek: .....thats worse than a Finn Harps game on a saturday night.

We always had RTE/Network 2 etc up here but Id like to know why Northern Sky customers cant get them on digital ?? Why the hell is that ?

I wont stoop to answering that one! :p

lopez
13/07/2004, 11:37 PM
How about RTE getting their finger out and putting up a proper Europe/N. America channel for Sattelite? I tuned in one night to Sky Ireland - it's interactive but you know what I mean - and it cured my insomnia no end. Can Finn Harps do that as well?

Peadar
14/07/2004, 8:45 AM
We always had RTE/Network 2 etc up here but Id like to know why Northern Sky customers cant get them on digital ??

Because RTÉ get certain US shows before anyone else in Europe.
They were the first in Europe to show the final Friends and there are a host of other shows where the same applies.
Now if you look at Sky One or Channel 4 they'll tell you they have an exclusive. That's only because RTÉ isn't technically available in the UK.
That's part of the reason, there may be others.

pete
14/07/2004, 11:00 AM
Think i saw Sky News Oirland a cpouple of times when launched. I also think they mentioned eL division 1 fixtures on one of those occasions.

Macy
15/07/2004, 12:40 PM
The irish channels aren't available in the North, cos of the rights issues mentioned by Peader. Are they available on cable in the north - like you can get UTV, Ch4 on cable down here, but not on Satellite?

There is talk of RTE launching a news channel on Satellite. Easily fill the broadcast between news, prime time, Q&A and even the likes of Nationwide (i.e. home produced content that has no rights issues).

On Sky News Ireland, you'd wonder whether that 200 includes people watching it interactive.

pete
15/07/2004, 1:02 PM
I think used to be Celtic TV or something on US cable which showed irish programmes but dunno if still available there.

Macy
15/07/2004, 1:24 PM
There was Tara TV in the UK, but RTE pulled out of it. An "In the clear" news/ current affairs channel is the way for RTE to go IMO.

Andyh
15/07/2004, 1:34 PM
RTE and Network 2 are available here on NTL digital (Greater Belfast and Derry). I had it in my old house, certain shows were blanked out if they conflicted with UTV etc. There was talk of them appearing on Sky Digital, as the radio stations are on already. Where I am in Carrick, I can get them all with an aerial anyway.

I take it Sky News Ireland is only for customers in the Republic?

Peadar
15/07/2004, 1:38 PM
There was Tara TV in the UK, but RTE pulled out of it.

That used to cover horse racing and stuff like that as far as I know but lost a lot of viewers to "At The Races."

dortie
15/07/2004, 1:51 PM
RT

I take it Sky News Ireland is only for customers in the Republic?

Ive got access to it here in Derry. Would be nice to watch RTE/Network2/TV3 on perfect digital picture though.

Peterc
15/07/2004, 4:04 PM
At least Grainne looks good! Miss her this week.

lopez
15/07/2004, 5:19 PM
I take it Sky News Ireland is only for customers in the Republic?It was available in England but only on the interactive thingamy.

Bring back Tara TV IMO or something similar by RTE. Tara had some great programmes produced in Ireland not shown on British TV. The rest we can get on other channels.

Andyh
15/07/2004, 5:37 PM
Ive got access to it here in Derry. Would be nice to watch RTE/Network2/TV3 on perfect digital picture though.

If u can get it in Derry, i'm bound to be able to get it here, unless the DUP have some sort of satellite blocking device in operation, in case of brain washing. What channel is it on?

Pat O' Banton
15/07/2004, 5:38 PM
It was available in England but only on the interactive thingamy.

Bring back Tara TV IMO or something similar by RTE. Tara had some great programmes produced in Ireland not shown on British TV. The rest we can get on other channels.

Side point; but the Irish papers in Britain behaved disgracefully about the closing of Tara. I remember at least a couple of months before the chanel got the pull, mother O' Banton contacting the the Post and the World to ask them to run a campaign about stopping the closure, they virtually point blank refused and only ran a couple of token articles the week or two before closure. :mad:

lopez
15/07/2004, 5:46 PM
If u can get it in Derry, i'm bound to be able to get it here, unless the DUP have some sort of satellite blocking device in operation, in case of brain washing. What channel is it on?Must be all those 'pub' scenes of Glenroe and Fair City, and, er, Coronation Street, Estenders...? :D

Pat O' Banton
15/07/2004, 5:48 PM
That used to cover horse racing and stuff like that as far as I know but lost a lot of viewers to "At The Races."

Was quite comprehensive in its coverage of sport at least as well as having RTE news, Glenroe (well at least mum liked it,) handy as well as it had the Sunday Game and a regular programme about trad Irish music and on Saturday afternoons it would cover a classic Ireland game - can't remember too much else that was on it but all in all it wasn't too bad at all.

dortie
15/07/2004, 6:03 PM
If u can get it in Derry, i'm bound to be able to get it here, unless the DUP have some sort of satellite blocking device in operation, in case of brain washing. What channel is it on?

:D Wouldnt be surprised if the DUP tried something like that.

Anyway, Just go to normal sky news, press the red interactive button, select sky news active - you will be given around nine minature screens, one is Sky Ireland, select it then press 0 for the full screen.