PDA

View Full Version : ROI funding in NI

horton
07/10/2011, 1:16 PM
Yesterday it was announced that the Derry-Coleraine rail line will finally be upgraded(this campaign was ongoing for years) and it'll be funded by money borrowed from the A5 "planned" upgrade. It got me thinking, all the talk about recent plans for Derry(the A5/A6 "planned" upgrades, the shambles that was us getting a cancer unit etc.) have all been split funded between Stormont and Dublin.
Has the Dail paid half the tab for all major things in Northern Ireland(hospital builds/motorways etc) or is it the only way things can be built in Derry?
Genuine question.

culloty82
07/10/2011, 1:46 PM
It makes sense that we would partly fund Derry projects, given that the city and Tyrone would be the natural hinterland for Donegal, so the projects would be utilised on both sides of the Border, but can't see the same situation applying to developments in Belfast and elsewhere.

Dodge
07/10/2011, 1:50 PM
is it the only way things can be built in Derry?

If anything NI gets more than its fair share of British investment

Macy
07/10/2011, 2:01 PM
The A5/ A6 make sense for ROI to fund, given they are routes to Donegal. Presumably the same logic is used for the train line upgrade, to hook up with the Dublin-Belfast line. The executive is good a squeezing money out of Dublin and London...

horton
07/10/2011, 3:50 PM
If anything NI gets more than its fair share of British investment
Absolutely, most of our workforce is public sector(myself included), the private sector is too small to support us so we'd go bankrupt if London stopped the funding.
What I was getting at was, is Stormont reluctant to fund anything outside Belfast unless the Dail coughed up for half? The NI Tourist board is giving MTV half a million for their award show going to Belfast. Comparing that sum with what they spend promoting other parts of NI made me wonder if our local politicians were getting much done.

Anyways, it was just a thought so thanks for the replies.

Dodge
07/10/2011, 3:53 PM
In fairness I took it as 'NI' debte rather than a Belfast v the rest debate